I finally got Phantasy Star Universe! Shame this game gets no love or respect...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I was lucky to find a Phantasy Star Universe at a Game Rush/Blockbuster for $10, opened but still brand new. This is the type of game where you want to give it a try but don't want to spend $50 on it. But I finally got to play it and I think it's quite good.

It's basically Phantasy Star Online but better, MUCH BETTER. Yet, it kind of stinks that this game isn't getting the attention the first one did, even though it's a better game. But I guess there still is a community because the second expansion is coming out soon.

Anyway, I think this game is cool! Not revolutionary or awesome like FFXII or Rogue Galaxy, but still good.

Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts
9.99 per month for an instance type world like Guild Wars is a major turn off. I played PSO on xbox. Loved it ^_^
TheMotherBrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 TheMotherBrain
Member since 2007 • 284 Posts
I loved Phantasy Star Online, it was a great game. I haven't tried Universe yet, but I've read mediocre reviews about it.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I played the original a lot too like Vader, and by most peoples accounts this is a mediocre game that dosent come within the same spectrum as the original. Still though, I love buying games and if this one is that cheap now then its a buy for me!
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts
This game is really all about grinding, the online is what makes the game passable, but constantly fighting the same enemies in the same areas will get boring quick. However, they did a lot of things right online, I put countless hours into the beta with Duffguy (haven't seen him in forever), and basically everything outside of the gameplay itself was freaking awesome. The gaming lobby was pretty damn sweet, as was the idea of giving players dorm rooms in which they could create/customize weapons and buy/sell/trade things with other users. The single player portion of this game is barely even playable, and I guess even that is arguable.
Revelade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Revelade
Member since 2005 • 1862 Posts

I tried the demo. Just pointless wandering around some lobbies. I couldn't find where the mission starts, perhaps the top floor Hunter HQ or something? Talked to her and she said no missions available or something.

PSO, I have the game, but I don't play it. In the heart of it, it's simply run around slash at guys, pick up loot and repeat. Of course the thrill is getting items, but you could apply that to say Diablo 2 or many other games.

N3MO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 N3MO
Member since 2002 • 20333 Posts

I was a hardcore PSO addict since it's release in Japan on the Dreamcast. Played ituntil my BBA fried. By that time the GCN and Xboxversions of the game was announced. I ended up migrating to the GCN version for awhile. But ended up losing interest since hacking got to the point of it being everywhere. Then Episode III cameout and I played the hell out of it until people exploited a glitch that kicked your opponentout of a game for easy wins. But the urge to play PSo never goes away.I dabble in PSO Blue Burst from time to time [Episode IV stuff is quite good]. The art style and such give the game an addicting charm. And it's simple gameplay and small pool of depth just made the game easily enjoyable for me.

I had hopes that PSU would live up to what PSO did. The disappointment couldn't be worst. Some of the additions to the gameplay [Mainly lock on and strafing] were very welcomed. But the unbalanced classes and focus on Weapons for skills gutted the experience.Now that I really think about it, the weapons were too focused upon for progression.Also the enviroments ended up being uninteresting and blah. And PSU adopted a more generic art-style that lacked any charm. Awhile PSO's story never had much focus, it was way more interesting then what PSU cooked up.

Honestly I would've been perfectly fine with a remake of PSO with some of PSU's additions.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I guess I'm a noob compared to everyone who were PSO addicts. I do admit, I wasn't really a addict, but more of a casual PSO player, kind of like playing Diablo II by myself once in awhile.

So I guess that's why I like PSU for what it is. Plus, being only $10 is probably another reason why I don't feel disappointed.

If I was a PSO addict, I probably would feel the same and have a ton of negative things to point out about PSU. So I totally understand everyone's points on PSU and its shortcomings.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44136 Posts
I never played PSO so I didn't know what to expect from this game. However when the beta came out for the 360 version I gave it a go and really enjoyed it and put a good amount of time into it. When the reviews came out there were some things mentioned that kind of turned me off on getting the game. It's still one of those games that I sometimes think about getting but right now with all the other games I want to get it's kind of low on my priority list so I doubt I'll get around to grabbing it.