I feel like I grew up in an alternate gaming universe....

#1 Posted by gajbutler (113 posts) -

I grew up on PCs, all my life it has been about the PC, but all the main media outlets are console focused. I just have no affinity towards anything on consoles, the nearest I come is to the PS1 because it was the only console I've ever gotten in to. Still all my memories are PC based, like I couldn't give a shit about Nintendo, I respect them now because their games are so different to everything else and I bought a Wii U to experience that, but all the fanbois go mad over stuff that I think is rather sad lol..

I started on PC sims when I was 3 or 4, I moved to games like Doom, the Theme games, I remember Delta Force and Half Life and Roller Coaster Tycoon. I got major into MMOs from 1997 - 2005 before they turned to shit... UO, EQ, DAOC, EVE, PS, SWG and EQ2. I've just sat and watched all my favourite PC franchises be ruined by the 360 era and the dumbing down of gaming...

I've tried to get into console gaming over the years, but I just fail to see what they bring... over than ignorant parents buying them for their kids who have no money.

#2 Posted by Archangel3371 (15358 posts) -

This seems better suited for System Wars.

#3 Edited by AutoPilotOn (8207 posts) -

I grew up on pcs as well. My friends were all playing nes and dad bought me a computer. It was really till I started working that I bought my n64 my first console. I did have a nes but it was pretty much as the snes came out and I played a lot of 2nd hand games.

#4 Edited by Yrkoon99 (439 posts) -

wow you really sound like you dislike consoles, i grew up on consoles and it wasnt till early 1999 we got our first family pc, by the end of the year i got ut 1999 for xmas along with my earlier p3 500mhz woot and tnt2 ultra yay go pc.

sounds like you missed out on a lot of fun games, console rpg's can be very good fun i bet you played a few on your pc, but older era of consoles was mostly platformers or scrolling shooters along with racing which i played to death on both sega and nintendo.

i only got into fps games thanks to my sega saturn it had exhumed,dukenukem3d and quake yay i loved them but im a bit jaded now with them after having self built gaming pc's for so long.

meh theres a little bit of my history for gaming since you gave us yours and i feel your pain at good pc franchises going down the console route :)

btw theres a awesome mod i have installed, darkplaces i think graphics overhaul for quake 1 it makes it look better than ps3 games and can push beefy cards if you go nuts with the lighting settings :)

#5 Posted by Glitter (353 posts) -

I decided I won't ever be a PC gamer. It's not something I have the patients or ability to understand, even though I wanted to be able to understand it. For me, a console is the only option and I rather just make things easy for myself.

#6 Edited by Articuno76 (18737 posts) -

To think someone grew up hardly having touched a Zelda, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Mario, [insert random huge franchise here]. In fact there are several genres you probably hardly had a chance to touch. In fact you've pretty much missed the entireity of the Japanese influence on videogames which (historically speaking) has had a huge influence and great number of games over the years.

#7 Edited by wiouds (5064 posts) -

I was never a PC only gamers. The PC and console are far better together since the cover the other weakness well.

I never want to be a PC only gamer. I read a comment saying that consoles cause a dark age in gaming. There also two things that I believe to be hurting gaming.

#8 Posted by pyro1245 (545 posts) -

I was pretty split between consoles and a PC as a child. Grew up with quake and UT and all the great RPGs that we had on PC back in the day; also all those great strategy games; oh and the adventure games. Now I'll pretty much try to play games on PC unless it's just not possible (that's right, I'm still waiting on GTAV. I knew it would happen). I still appreciate consoles because of all the time I spent as a kid playing FF and Zelda, etc.. but I don't really like the direction the industry is headed; plus I don't like to have to buy redundant hardware. SNES and PS1 had so many great RPGs, pretty much the glory days of the JRPG.

@glitter said:

I decided I won't ever be a PC gamer. It's not something I have the patients or ability to understand, even though I wanted to be able to understand it. For me, a console is the only option and I rather just make things easy for myself.

aw don't sell yourself short.

#9 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

PC gaming was very different back then.... If you just weren't into RPGs and Strategy games and First Person Shooters then you were sh!t out of luck.

Now PC Gaming has it all. :)

#10 Posted by thehig1 (1391 posts) -

@Archangel3371: probably is better suited for system wars...but look his post count is below 500

#11 Edited by Randolph (10468 posts) -

@gajbutler: You come across as incredibly arrogant and insecure.

#12 Posted by PinchySkree (59 posts) -

Corporate greed leads to lazy and unfinished/reduced development. Some developers love being lazy and creating mediocre games and dumping them on 360 and PS3. Some of these games were once great franchises on PC. Sometimes they are multiplatform, in case those on PC want to experience that mediocrity.

#13 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15916 posts) -

Nice. 3 or 4 years old and you already mastered the different keyboard layouts of various PC sims (mostly flight sims) such as the one from F-19 Stealth Fighter, not to mention master the flight model itself.

#14 Posted by PimpHand_Gamer (272 posts) -

When I was growing up, most PC's kinda sucked. I mean you had to load floppies, they were horribly slow and noisy. Sounds were usually terrible unless you were the few fortunate enough to have Soundblaster or something. Then of course typing the commands to launch the games, I think I remember having to load DOS first, then pull that floppy out, then load a game. Most games looked way better on the back of the box than what was typically seen in game, especially if you had a C64 cause the screenshots were of Amiga's. Each platform version was usually very different and sometimes a crap shoot. The monitors were always so small, granted computers had some interesting and complex games but I had more fun back then just renting NES games for a buck, it loaded instantly, had the benefits of larger TV and ability to play with friends and overall was just a much more convenient experience.

Nowadays the gap has narrowed for both systems.

#15 Posted by Mesomorphin (813 posts) -

I feel the opposite way, I have a powerful pc, but I've never got into pc gaming. Dont know why.

#16 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18274 posts) -
I've just sat and watched all my favourite PC franchises be ruined by the 360 era and the dumbing down of gaming...

I don't get this. Gaming has been dumbed down? It wasn't that smart even back then.

#17 Edited by Jeager_Titan (945 posts) -

THIS BELONGS IN SYSTEM WARS.

#18 Edited by Macutchi (3986 posts) -

I've tried to get into console gaming over the years, but I just fail to see what they bring... over than ignorant parents buying them for their kids who have no money.

this is essentially an admission of stupidity.

only an idiot would refuse to acknowledge consoles have brought us some incredible games over the generations

#19 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16673 posts) -

There are great games on both consoles and PC. Simple as that.

#20 Edited by Star0 (443 posts) -

I fail to see what PC gaming brings. Other than MMORPGs and simulators everything else are console-style games with prettier graphics. Better controls for FPS games? Sure. What else?

Fanboys can make turd seem like gold.

#21 Posted by guitarpete462 (8 posts) -
@glitter said:

I've decided the same thing, but for me it's more about not wanting to take the time or effort to worry about system requirements/buy a good gaming PC/stay up to date with the changing hardware.

I like things simple, because I don't have too much time to game as it is. Console gamer for life basically, here.

#22 Posted by bussinrounds (2030 posts) -

@Star0 said:

I fail to see what PC gaming brings. Other than MMORPGs and simulators everything else are console-style games with prettier graphics. Better controls for FPS games? Sure. What else?

The return of classic style rpgs with games like Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Age of Decadence, the new Torment, Dead State, Blackguards, M&MX, ect...

They aren't coming out on consoles.

#23 Posted by filmlover1 (6 posts) -

The age of PC game won't come back again. Now, more and more games are coming every day. No one can makes you play for a long time, or makes a deep impression on you.