I am 13 but my parents won't let me buy GTA

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Thomaspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Thomaspy
Member since 2015 • 27 Posts

So, I am really looking forward to getting Gta V, because it should run very well on my pc and it is a great game. But my parents think it's too violent and realistic, yet I'm allowed to play payday 2. I live in the Netherlands and I do "Gymnasium" which is the best education you can get. I don't know what to do, all my friends have the game and I want to play it with them... Do you guys have any advice? Sorry for spelling mistakes, if I made them. English is not my mother tongue, like I said.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Good

srebmunahcnub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 srebmunahcnub
Member since 2015 • 70 Posts

play another game? Dont need more squeakers online, go parenting

Thomaspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Thomaspy

@srebmunahcnub: Lol, my voice is deeper than the others. I'm not the little 10 year old that screams at his mic he got from wallmart

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I wouldn't let a 13 year old play the game, either. I feel your pain, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

You'll brush us off now, but you should respect your parents wishes. It's rated M for a reason and there are a ton of other games to play. Personally I commend your parents for taking and interest and paying attention to what you play.

Thomaspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Thomaspy

@PurpleMan5000: Thanks for the sympathy

Thomaspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Thomaspy

@darkspineslayer: Okay, thanks

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#9 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I'm glad your parents are paying attention to what you play. I constantly hear 8 year olds talk about playing Call of Duty and it frustrates me to no end. It's important that parents know and understand the kind of content their children are getting. I didn't always think like this. In fact, I'd say I was in a similar situation when Vice City and San Andreas were the big thing.

I wasn't allowed to play those games back then. I didn't get it at the time, but I understood as I got older. There are plenty of other games to play and the ratings are there for a reason. Try to see it from your parents' perspective.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

Do you have elder siblings? If so there is a very easy way to circumvent your parents.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

You should be proud of your parents.

azertygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 azertygamer
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

You want to play a game 'because your friends play it'? There are plenty of other games which your parents will allow you to play!

RetroGameBros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RetroGameBros
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Thats good parenting, the ratings are there for a reason!

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I grew up watching the news from the last moments of the Vietnam war, I watched all sorts of documentaries of WW2, watched the news from the Nicaraguan revolution, I saw tons of violence and dead bodies in movies and in TV series and so far I´ve never felt the urge to go out and murder people, in my case, I let my son play whatever he wants and do make him realize that there´s a huge difference between fantasy and reality. Your parents letting you play PayDay but not letting you play GTA is absolutely absurd.

Ratings are ridiculous, there´s no difference between beating the crap out and breaking to pieces a Lego character than there is beating the crap and hooting a character in GTA, it´s a world of fantasy, MILD CARTOON VIOLENCE my butt.

pizzaforman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pizzaforman
Member since 2015 • 28 Posts

Wow, i am surprized that your parents understand what is "M - for mature", sounds like you have good pc, so go get some other good games. and also you can play gta at your friend's home(save 60$)

EvilCalvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 EvilCalvin
Member since 2014 • 27 Posts

@thomaspy:

I don't get it. You have easy access to R-rated, realistic movies like "Heat" and other movies with violence and gore like "Dark Knight" and even war movies like "Saving Private Ryan" but god forbid we let my kid play a vgame with animated vioence. Priorities in this country are f***ked up! But then again maybe your parents monitor what you watch, but I doubt it.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Explain to your parents that you know the difference between fantasy and reality and if they still don't buy it for you, well then I'm sorry you'll have to play something else.

Thomaspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Thomaspy

@raugutcon: Thanks for the comment, I would show my parents this comment but eh, maybe they'll take payday from me. Who knows?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@darkspineslayer said:

You'll brush us off now, but you should respect your parents wishes. It's rated M for a reason and there are a ton of other games to play. Personally I commend your parents for taking and interest and paying attention to what you play.

Yeah 100% agree.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

I played GTA when I was 13 and i had fun not sure what the big deal is, unless you have mental problems and dont know fantasy from reality and that could be any age.

Avatar image for lucianocasanova
lucianocasanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 lucianocasanova
Member since 2014 • 813 Posts

@evilcalvin:

It's much worse here in America from what I can see(America is too closed in sex)

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@thomaspy said:

So, I am really looking forward to getting Gta V, because it should run very well on my pc and it is a great game. But my parents think it's too violent and realistic, yet I'm allowed to play payday 2. I live in the Netherlands and I do "Gymnasium" which is the best education you can get. I don't know what to do, all my friends have the game and I want to play it with them... Do you guys have any advice? Sorry for spelling mistakes, if I made them. English is not my mother tongue, like I said.

Do what your parents says and dont complain.

You are just a kid and they know what's best for you even though it might seem unfair.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

it does seem a little contradictory to let you play payday but not gta. ask one of your mates to share the game with you on steam. if you want to be really open with your parents, let them watch the beginning part - it's payday-esque so if they don't mind payday they should be ok with it - and then the start of the game where you play as franklin. those bits are relatively harmless so it might reassure them it's not too bad and they'll be ok with buying it for you.

just don't let them see the introduction of trevor because that will probably not go down too well ;)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

GTA Is vastly overated.......

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

If their argument is as you claim, it is inconsistent. That said, that decision might be for the best, despite your implication that they are contradictory .

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By amyh7292
Member since 2015 • 324 Posts

I played older GTA games much younger than 13. That being said I can't blame your parents for not wanting you to, even though I turned out fine. I agree with what others are saying that fantasy violence is fantasy violence and if you're already playing a "violent" game then what's the difference? Maybe make that point to them. Otherwise I guess there's not a lot you can do.

GTA V is a great game and I can't lie to you and say you aren't missing an amazing game. @Lulu_Lulu overrated? It has a perfect score on several different respected review sites and has been released now three times. Maybe it's not your cup of tea but I've been playing the game almost two years now and can tell you it's one of the best games all around, especially for online gaming. Haters gonna hate though. Your comment contributed nothing to this post. But anyway, I'm not saying it's the only good game and yeah maybe there are better ones for a 13 year old, but try talking to your parents. If you can be mature about the content and about playing online, I don't think it's the end of the world for a middle schooler/soon to be high schooler playing the game. If you were 7 I'd have an issue with it

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lulu_Lulu

@amyh7292:

I'm not in the business of judging games by numbers..... GTA is the same thing with each installment only bigger each time.......

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28  Edited By Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Good

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By amyh7292
Member since 2015 • 324 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu I have a hard time believing you played through the entire game and online and still think that. You're entitled to your opinion and I agree, numbers don't talk in terms of ratings, but two years of game play do and if you think it's overrated you've really missed out on one of the best gaming experiences in the past five years and that's your loss, not mine. I'd hate to see the games you call 'good'

But I'm not addressing this argument further... it has nothing to do with this kid's post, and I stick to my original advice

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#30  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Act grown up. Respect their wishes. Take initiative and do things around the house. Get good grades. Just don't whine when they say no. Some day, they'll realize you can handle it and then you can play all the M rated games you want.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lulu_Lulu

@amyh7292:

Nope.... didn't play it online......

I'm not a big fan of open world......

Anyway Bayonetta is good.......

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

If they've said your not getting it, then I highly doubt anything we say will help nor is many of us going to since a good amount of us are also thinking you're too young for Payday 2 aswell.
And as for the whole " They let me play Payday but not GTA, Why?" They're your parents, they don't need a reason to forbid you from getting the game at such young age. Unfair?, Maybe but welcome to life. Not everything is.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

If I were you I'd be thankful I had a competent gaming computer at age 13. I never had that. Besides we live in a time where there are so many games that there are plenty of great E and T games to play.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#34 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

your parents must think your too immature to play the game. im sure some 13 year olds can play it and understand the difference between real life and video game violence. blame yourself not your parents. if you were more mature they would let you play it. the fact u complain on here to strangers proves that.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@thomaspy said:

@raugutcon: Thanks for the comment, I would show my parents this comment but eh, maybe they'll take payday from me. Who knows?

Do they know what pay day is all about.? Probably not they have probably never heard of it before you bought it, but everyone knows about gta its such a controversial game and has been talked about alot in media in regards to the things you can do in game and the influence it can have on young minds. So yeh your parents have probably heard about gta and dont like the idea of you playing it, and yes you're right dont use the "but you let me play pay day" argument like i said they probably havent a clue what that game is about and once they do they will ban you from playing it also.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

There are plenty of other good games for you to play young man. Games that are more age appropriate.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

You're not missing anything.

@Macutchi said:

it does seem a little contradictory to let you play payday but not gta. ask one of your mates to share the game with you on steam. if you want to be really open with your parents, let them watch the beginning part - it's payday-esque so if they don't mind payday they should be ok with it - and then the start of the game where you play as franklin. those bits are relatively harmless so it might reassure them it's not too bad and they'll be ok with buying it for you.

just don't let them see the introduction of trevor because that will probably not go down too well ;)

It's probably the boobs. Killing is OK, but we can't have the kiddies seeing any cleavage lol

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Try making money online since you're young. Adsense and contributing to communities that allow surveys and advertisements. From there you can grow it or spend it with investments, whether that be bitcoins or developing websites.

That's what I did when I was your age and I got all the subscription fees and games I wanted. If you can't do that then your only bet is to pirate the game with no official online access.

I've been playing M rated games since they were created. '94 kid(gaming since I was 3 with NES from my Uncle) and I acted pretty mature with my the games I had. As long you don't act out and steal ideas from violent video games, you should be fine.

Heck, my 9 year old niece loves GTA V and even she behaves and never swears.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#39 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

@thomaspy said:

So, I am really looking forward to getting Gta V, because it should run very well on my pc and it is a great game. But my parents think it's too violent and realistic, yet I'm allowed to play payday 2.

A higher standard of living is more rewarding.

mpl911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 mpl911
Member since 2005 • 1223 Posts

Yeah - I'm with the majority here - sorry kid but you're too young to play this game. But there are 1000's of great games out there for you - especially on the pc, so just choose something else. Likewise, you're too young to drive, so find another way of getting around. Too young to drink beer, drink something else.

Don't worry about it too much...just play something else. Hope you find something (else) that's fun to play.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

I'm not going to say you're too young because I've been around plenty of kids that can handle GTA but I don't think any advice you get on a forum is going to change the mind of your parents. There are lots of other great games to play, you shouldn't feel like you're missing out on too much.

krazyjwm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 krazyjwm
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

parenting at its best!! More parents need to do this

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts

tell them you know the difference between reality and a video game, or just make money online and buy it on steam.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#45 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Your parents deserve a medal.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I honestly don't think a 13 year old playing a GTA game is that big of a deal. I knew the comments would be preachy, I'm sure most of them were playing "mature" games around or before your age. I was about 10 when I played my first "M" rated game, and just a little older when I was playing GTA: San Andreas.

But all you can really do is try to reason with your parents. I can see where they're coming from, but I still think 13 is old enough for "Mature" games. Though I'm not your parent, so you're kind of screwed if you can't convince them.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I enjoy GTAV. But - no offense to you meant! - 13 is pretty young for a game like this. I know it's hard when your friends can play it and you can't. I totally get that - I went through battles with my parents over Duke Nukem 3D back in 1996. My friends' parents thought they were old enough, so why wasn't I?!? And I was the mature one (I felt)!

But at the end of the day... these games are kind of messed up. I mean - gunning people down, driving people over, drugs, incessant swearing, racial and homophobic slurs, strippers and hookers (and the ability to actually... "engage" with these individuals in its graphic glory).

There are tons of great games out there that you can play. It sounds like you're on PC... in your case you have literally decades of games to choose from.

I know it's small consolation

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@raugutcon said:

I grew up watching the news from the last moments of the Vietnam war, I watched all sorts of documentaries of WW2, watched the news from the Nicaraguan revolution, I saw tons of violence and dead bodies in movies and in TV series and so far I´ve never felt the urge to go out and murder people, in my case, I let my son play whatever he wants and do make him realize that there´s a huge difference between fantasy and reality. Your parents letting you play PayDay but not letting you play GTA is absolutely absurd.

Ratings are ridiculous, there´s no difference between beating the crap out and breaking to pieces a Lego character than there is beating the crap and hooting a character in GTA, it´s a world of fantasy, MILD CARTOON VIOLENCE my butt.

You claim to know the difference between fantasy and reality, and yet you somehow think that seeing war documentaries is equivalent to playing a fucking video game?

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@thomaspy: Sounds like your parent's care about you (a bit anyway)... good for you. I'm sure they don't restrict the other games you do play because they just aren't as infamous as GTA is and they probably just don't even know anything about what you're playing.

mpl911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mpl911
Member since 2005 • 1223 Posts

@SoNin360: your fallout boy looks a little grumpy!!

I don't think that people need to stick rigidly to the ratings on the games (although parents may have different ideas) but in the UK this game is an 18...this kid's 13 years old...that's a big difference. don't get me wrong, everyone gets drunk / smokes / drives a year or 2 below the legal age - but he's closer to being 9 than he is to being old enough for the game.

If the OP were, say, 16 then I'd probably have a different idea about this...but he's too young for this game, no matter what his mates are playing.

@Thomaspy - Kid - like i said initially, don't worry about it - find something else to play with your mates...there are loads of great games out there, especially on your pc. Most people had games they weren't allowed to play at some point. Just enjoy something else.