I actually think HD-DVD will win the next format war

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

At this point it's pretty clear that despite what a lot of people originally thought, console sales (particularly the PS3's) aren't going to determine the victor of the next video format.  As it should be.  Frankly I don't want people who buy a system just to play Final Fantasy or Halo determining how I'll be watching my movies 5 years from now. If I'm going to put my guess out there though, I'd say HD is going to win based off of what I've seen recently.

For the past couple weeks I've been seeing a lot of those HD-DVD commercials with Michael Imperioli.  I got to say that's really blowing away any commercial I've seen for Blu-ray.  There's a clear message, a sharp look in the commercial, and a noted professional that will grab people's attention.  That commercial really puts out a compelling message.  Even based on what I know of the strengths and weaknesses of the formats it's almost convinced me to go out and buy one.  To a more uneducated consumer I could see how easily they could be sold on it.

Blu-ray still seems to be relying on commercials for special edition DVDs, like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies to get the message out.  But those commercials are still first and foremost for a movie, and don't get into what makes Blu-ray special.  As it is, unless they're able to show the difference (which they cannot accurately do) I don't think that's the way try to get people to buy the player.

According to a couple sources HD-DVD sales topped Blu-ray for the first time last month, so something's working.  And prospects are looking good for the rest of the summer too.  Nothing's really going to be decided for about 4 more years, but I got to say I think we'll be watching our movies on HD-DVD when it's all over and done with. 

Green_Iugana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Green_Iugana
Member since 2007 • 1153 Posts
I disagree here is why: notice in the article it says that Blu-Ray sold a quarter of a million dvd's compared to HD-DVD only sellling 125,00. Though who knows maybe HD-DVD beat Blu-Ray in the format war.             http://www.dailytech.com/Bluray+Sales+Continue+to+Lead+HD+DVD/article6448.htm
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
I know that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are somewhat involved with the current game consoles, but really format war discussions are a bit off topic for GGD.