MusicMask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 MusicMask
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

So I've always been a single player gamer, and online gaming never caught my attention; mainly because of poor internet.

So I wanted to know some tips on how to get started and what are the best games for online play.

And keep it clean boys.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 0

#2 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Depends on what kind of multiplayer game you're looking for

For high end skillful gameplay - DotA 2, SC 1/2, Quake Live, CS GO, Virtua Fighter 5; you won't find anything with a higher skill ceiling for its genre.
For careless multiplayer fun you can play pretty much anything else; aside from shooters and regular short session multiplayer, you could also try an MMORPG

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#3 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Destiny makes for some awesome co-op online play. co-op games might be a good starting place. Destiny also has copetitive modes too.

MusicMask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MusicMask
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@ristactionjakso: Yeah i was thinking that co-op would be a good option, so any tips on that?

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#5 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Well Destiny would be a prime starting point.

Jetset314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Jetset314
Member since 2011 • 234 Posts

@musicmask: A couple tips:

• It is ok to listen. If you are not someone who likes to talk a lot, don't let that prevent you from getting into co-op or competitive multiplayer games.
  • You will probably be called every name in the book when you do well, or when you play poorly. This is the environment you are going into and people hate people who have bad games, and people who have great games. Ignore it long enough and it becomes amusing.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#7  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Find a RL friend that also happens to play games (this is the simple, easiest and most fun way to play online)

Start with a Co-Op game that has a structured campaign to go through, where you host or join a lobby with equally progressing players. This is a good middle ground for people to typically play Single player games, but can be a barrier if you cannot find someone at the same point as you if the game doesnt design around different levels story/character progress.

Dont be afraid of 'confrontation'. Dont feed a toxic player and be responsible: Most Online games have the proper tools to block, mute or kick someone that you dont want to play with. Or you can just find another lobby/session - Trust me, waiting for another lobby/session to join is well worth the extra time than going in playing with a dysfunctional group you dont like (which will usually end badly and be a waste of time anyway).

Use voice commands/get a headset and actively use it - dont be shy. A simple "Welcome" when someone joins a lobby/session in a co-op game can make a huge difference in your experience with a player. As with typing "GLHF" or saying the proper "good luck have fun" in a competitive game works well too.

Find a gaming community. This can be great if you can find one with equal minded players and tastes. Such multi-game communities just offer a pool of familiar faces to play with across multiple games. At its best, you get free access to a premium Teamspeak/Mumble server if it's a PC centric gaming community, which is really nice to have.

There are also voice communication tips that I can provide and expand on. But most online games dont really need it. I can provide them if you or anyone is curious to know the do's and donts of it all.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

@musicmask: left 4 dead 2 has very fun co-op.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Hmm, kind of a difficult question. in the case of co-op games people mainly play those with friends. you can ofcourse simply join an open game, but milage may vary.

normal multiplayer is easier, but most competetive games have outright horrible Communities, unless they are relatively small, or well moderated (and the last part is almost exclusive to PC, since server control is rarely avaiable for consoles).

My advice will be as following: Have friends on the platform you play on? If yes, then ask if they want to play something with you, I will likely stress that it would just be for fun, not anything competetive, atleast to begin with.

If you do not have friends, then a game that might not be the biggest online game around, Dota 2, CoD and so on are games I would avoid like the pleague. If you have a PS4, then maybe KZ:SF or some of the smaller games.

Part of it is that smaller games tend to have a more tightknitted community, there is simply no room to scare people away, and everyone will come to remember a bad or annoying person, and deny them on the game.

In the end it depends on the platform.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@musicmask said:

And keep it clean boys.