How to avoid getting disappointing games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

raffage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 raffage
Member since 2007 • 88 Posts

I've gotten a lot of disappointing games ("Sonic Heroes" - PS2, "Mortal Kombat Deception" - PS2, "Mario Kart Double Dash" - GC, "Super Mario Sunshine" - GC ...).

Maybe If I'd:
Looked on online game review sites, Been friends with people who had the games, or Been with one of those monthly fee video game rental sites I'd have seen the true nature of those games and avoid some regretted purchases.

Does anyone here have Tips or Advise on how to avoid getting disappointing games?

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 Kazona
Member since 2003 • 1377 Posts
Here's a good tip: Don't go to websites owned by big corporations with fancy suits who care only about the revenue, and not journalistici intergrity. (yes, I'm talking about cnet/gamespot)
Zam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Zam
Member since 2002 • 2048 Posts
Read Jeff's reviews. He will tell you like it is
Arborescence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Arborescence
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts

Ignore the above posters...

The best bet is to use a site like metacritic.com to get a comprehensive set of reviews that you can read and decide if any of them sound like the kind of game you're looking for. One review should not warrant either a purchase or a non-purchase of a game, especially if you're on the fence about it.

rock_solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rock_solid
Member since 2003 • 5122 Posts

learn what game developers you like.....also read player reviews......not editorial reviews because as we have seen, they can be biased.

btw, i think metacritic is owned by cnet....which is who owns gamespot :-/

Arborescence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Arborescence

learn what game developers you like.....also read player reviews......not editorial reviews because as we have seen, they can be biased.

rock_solid

Yeah, i think you're right... but they merely collect reviews and post them here... they don't alter them at all.

rock_solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rock_solid
Member since 2003 • 5122 Posts
[QUOTE="rock_solid"]

Arborescence

Yeah, i think you're right... but they merely collect reviews and post them here... they don't alter them at all.

true, but how do we know other site's reviews aren't biased too? what if metacric is a collection of biased reviews? it may be better than nothing, but i still trust player reviews more.

Arborescence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Arborescence
[QUOTE="Arborescence"][QUOTE="rock_solid"]

rock_solid

true, but how do we know other site's reviews aren't biased too? what if metacric is a collection of biased reviews? it may be better than nothing, but i still trust player reviews more.

Also an interesting point, but player reviews usually are more biased towards what genres of games they like best. For example, would you really want a hardcore RPG gamer's review of a game like Halo 3 or Gran Turismo 4, or would you want a review that states basically what the game offers, what it delivers, and what to expect?

Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
Rent them first. :D
drklrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 drklrd
Member since 2002 • 29 Posts

I've gotten a lot of disappointing games ("Sonic Heroes" - PS2, "Mortal Kombat Deception" - PS2, "Mario Kart Double Dash" - GC, "Super Mario Sunshine" - GC ...).

Maybe If I'd:
Looked on online game review sites, Been friends with people who had the games, or Been with one of those monthly fee video game rental sites I'd have seen the true nature of those games and avoid some regretted purchases.

Does anyone here have Tips or Advise on how to avoid getting disappointing games?

Yup i have an idea how. Stay away from Gamespot because they apparently sell their reviews to the highest bidder and allegedly fires its editors for not going with the company policy of handing out higher scores to the advertisers. My advice read up on the game on forums like 1up and ign and stay far away from Gamespot.