How many of you guys REALLY liked Dishonored?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Mesomorphin (813 posts) -

I'am currently playing Thief and I just keep thinking to myself how much more I prefer it over Dishonored, but then I also questioned to myself as to whether I even liked Dishonored......and the answer was yes I did like the game.....but not a great deal! And my question you guys is basically, Did you really find Dishonored that great? or did you kinda like it/hate it and thought it was way overrated?

#2 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

Haven't played Thief (yet, coming in the mail) but I found Dishonored to be clunky, very overrated and finicky. From what I've seen of Thief, that looks a lot better.

#3 Edited by Mesomorphin (813 posts) -

Haven't played Thief (yet, coming in the mail) but I found Dishonored to be clunky, very overrated and finicky. From what I've seen of Thief, that looks a lot better.

This guy

#4 Edited by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

@ShadowsDemon said:

This guy

The signs are redundant!

#5 Posted by Gammit10 (2250 posts) -

I liked it from what I played. I enjoyed the world back-story quite a bit. Maybe I'll pick it up again soon.

#6 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

@Gammit10: Yeah, the steampunk-ish world was pretty awesome.

#7 Posted by Boddicker (2513 posts) -

I haven't played Thief yet to be able to compare it.

I'm looking to pick up a PS4 by next Xmas as there is little point in picking up one now, so Thief will probably be cheap by then.

#8 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22113 posts) -

may I ask why you like the game over dishonored Mesomorphin? I wanted to get the game but the backlash kinda ruined it for me.

#9 Posted by marcheegsr (2518 posts) -

I really enjoyed Dishonored. Easily one of my favourite games of the past gen. I still plan on replaying it. Also the DLC content is great.

I plan on buying Thief in the future. Im hoping to find it for cheaper down the road.

#10 Posted by Ariabed (1102 posts) -

Dishonoured is a great game unique great powers, enjoyable gameplay, can tackle missions in different ways, good story, nice big open environments great graphics, what more could you want.

#11 Posted by johnd13 (7986 posts) -

I loved Dishonored, definitely one of my favorite games. Liked the atmosphere, the environments and the feeling of freedom over the way you plan to accomplish your objectives. I kinda enjoyed the story as well though it wasn't its strong point.

Haven't played Thief but I don't find it half as interesting as I found Dishonored when it came out. I will get it when it drops in price so maybe I'll change my mind about it then.

#12 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

i like dishonored a lot. i like that world with the gothic aesthetic and how, despite the freedom you're given in how to accomplish a mission, you can't really escape that vision and how the game depicts violence. if you aim to be sneaky, you'll most often end up in the higher parts of the levels and that plays into the gothic architecture that associates height with awe. you're a god of shadows choosing who lives and dies and that plays into the whole power fantasy aspect of it. if you're a grunt shuffling feet on the ground, you feel like it.

#13 Edited by jasonredemption (219 posts) -

I personally couldn't get into Dishonored and am doubting that Thief is a game I should even try as I doubt just sneaking around and stealing stuff is really my cup of tea. I get enough stealth between the Batman Arkham, Assassins Creed and Sly Cooper games. (Yes, those games are not hardcore in their stealth mechanics, I know that). Stealth just isn't my thing. When playing an Action RPG I always go for the knight character. I prefer a shotgun, a sword and charging into the heat of battle.

#14 Posted by Qixote (10679 posts) -

I REALLY did like Dishonored. But that does not mean I think it was perfect. Far from it actually. It looked interesting, had interesting features, and had generally interesting gameplay. But the game as a whole was still lacking something, such as a personality.

#15 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

I dont mind people casually comparing thief to Dishonored but one issue I have with GS doing is it that they seem to not understand thief is a stealth and stealing game not just a stealth game.

If they play thief 3 then play thief THEN ask themselves 'did thief fulfill its stated purpose as a thief reboot'. I would have a hard time understanding how its not.

#16 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34143 posts) -

I thought the game was great, and was probably one of my favorite games from last gen.

#17 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2408 posts) -

Not me.

It's one of the most boring games i've ever played,right up there with LA Noire

#18 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18274 posts) -

I liked Dishonored well enough, though I hated how it forces your hand concerning killing by flat out telling you you'll get the bad ending unless you go for a non-lethal run. The story was also really inconsequential.

#19 Edited by dethtrain (384 posts) -

It was enjoyable. About a 7.5/10 or 8/10. Just checked metacritic and a bit surprised at the 91. The game is largely forgettable for me. I did like the final mission though and the one with the masquerade party. A bit simplistic in all aspects of it's gameplay and blink - while fun - made the game downright trivial. There was never any real fear of getting caught. And the fact that choking someone out caused them to be knocked out for an entire level was LOL. As soon as Korvo arrived to the pub and met his benefactors I *immediately* knew how the story was going to pan out. Blatantly obvious.

#20 Edited by Jacanuk (4218 posts) -

I'am currently playing Thief and I just keep thinking to myself how much more I prefer it over Dishonored, but then I also questioned to myself as to whether I even liked Dishonored......and the answer was yes I did like the game.....but not a great deal! And my question you guys is basically, Did you really find Dishonored that great? or did you kinda like it/hate it and thought it was way overrated?

I played Thief as well and its indeed enjoyable but its a different stealth game then Dishonored and both a pretty good

Thou Dishonored is exceptional and of course i REALLY like the game, its one of my favorite games been released in the last few years,

#21 Posted by ShangTsung7 (247 posts) -

perhaps it just isn't for you bro, i personally LOVE me some Dishonored!! strait killing, strait sp, NO online mp to ruin it = GOOD STUFF! ;)

#22 Edited by Mesomorphin (813 posts) -

may I ask why you like the game over dishonored Mesomorphin? I wanted to get the game but the backlash kinda ruined it for me.

Well in terms of stealth, Thief is the more enjoyable game IMO. Dishonored can be approached in either all guns blazing or stealth. In Thief its very hard to go all gun's blazing, since al you have at your disposal are knacky little stealth gadgets which are pretty cool and add a whole new flavour to the game, plus it has some amazing atmosphere and lighting.

#23 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

@TheShadowLord07: Don't let anyone put you off it, seriously. Trust your own opinion and take the reviews with a grain (or more than a grain) of salt.

#24 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9523 posts) -

I rented it once. It was pretty good. I will probably buy it one day.

#25 Posted by SlyRoxas97 (59 posts) -

Dishonored was my GOTY for 2012, it did so many things right. There was nothing more satisfying than completing a mission without getting spotted or killing anyone, and all the alternate paths and different endings added a lot of replayability. My only complaint with it was that there wasn't enough of it.

#26 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5773 posts) -

I enjoyed Dishonored... I just returned Thief.

#27 Posted by Flubbbs (2965 posts) -

havent played Thief but Dishonored was very good

#28 Posted by ShangTsung7 (247 posts) -

game is a freakin MASTERPIECE imo.. and for anyone thats interested i got a starter save at the beginning of the first mission with ALL powers fully upgraded except blink, 99 runes and 999 ammo for the gun and ALL crossbow bolts! all you need is a usb and a device to swap over your save id's.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/znrbjwdz3n4av4u/Dishonored4

also got one past the later mission where you lose your equipment, let me know if you want that one and i'll link it too. ;)

#29 Posted by JordanElek (17760 posts) -

Moving around in Dishonored is more satisfying than any other game in that genre. And since you're always moving around, it's always fun to play.

The collectables and secondary objectives are really well designed, too, so that they act as kind of mini-missions for the most part, rather than the usual "oh, there's a thing under the stairs here."

But I'm the kind of person that doesn't mind reloading a save if I'm spotted. I didn't quite do a completely nonlethal playthrough, but it was close.

#30 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4320 posts) -

I thought it was pretty good, but I thought it would be better.

I'm actually enjoying Thief more right now also. I think it's a pretty awesome game.

#31 Edited by Kevlar101 (6067 posts) -

I really friggin' love it.

The first time I played it, I was pretty lukewarm toward it.

But my second playthrough inspired a more positive reaction to it.

And all of the expansions are awesome btw (Knife of Dunwall, Brigmore Witches, Dunwall City Trials)

#32 Posted by CTR360 (6983 posts) -

i like it i hope see squel on xbox1 and ps4

#33 Posted by bowchicka07 (1073 posts) -

It was a good game 7.5/10 but just some easy fixes could have made it a perfect 10 IMO.

Stealth mechanics were severely rough around the edges, no double playthroughs, game kind of forcing you to stealth when most people want to kill here and there for some fun.

I also didn't like all the abilities on just one hand. Didn't feel immersed by the story and characters one bit. No meaningful dialogue, characters or plot at all.

Game play did make up for the latter though.

#34 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16296 posts) -

I don't like Dishonored... I love dishonored. It's my favourite game of 2012 and one of my favourite games of last gen.

perhaps it just isn't for you bro, i personally LOVE me some Dishonored!! strait killing, strait sp, NO online mp to ruin it = GOOD STUFF! ;)

And lots of freedom to experiment with powers and items. It's awesome !

#35 Posted by ShangTsung7 (247 posts) -

It was a good game 7.5/10 but just some easy fixes could have made it a perfect 10 IMO.

Stealth mechanics were severely rough around the edges, no double playthroughs, game kind of forcing you to stealth when most people want to kill here and there for some fun.

I also didn't like all the abilities on just one hand. Didn't feel immersed by the story and characters one bit. No meaningful dialogue, characters or plot at all.

you do realize that you don't HAVE to play stealthy right? in fact crawling around like a mouse and avoiding every enemy makes for a very boring play through, i've beaten the game and dlc dozens of times by purposely alerting everyone, walking right up on groups like a boss, and slaughtering everything that moves! imo THATS how you play this game if you wanna fully enjoy the experience. ;)

#36 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

@bowchicka07 said:

you do realize that you don't HAVE to play stealthy right? in fact crawling around like a mouse and avoiding every enemy makes for a very boring play through, i've beaten the game and dlc dozens of times by purposely alerting everyone, walking right up on groups like a boss, and slaughtering everything that moves! imo THATS how you play this game if you wanna fully enjoy the experience. ;)

I completely disagree. I played it that way and I really had a bad experience...maybe this was even the reason why I disliked it so much. Either way, I may give it another go...somewhere down the line.

But stealth is the way to go.

#37 Edited by ShangTsung7 (247 posts) -

@shangtsung7 said:

@bowchicka07 said:

I completely disagree. I played it that way and I really had a bad experience...maybe this was even the reason why I disliked it so much. Either way, I may give it another go...somewhere down the line.

you and i are polar opposites on that opinion bro, i find stealth incredibly boring and will never understand you guys who obsess over it..

playing a game in a manner where you avoid everything interesting makes no sense, renders all weapon upgrades pointless, and its like drinking a cup of coffee without creme or sugar.. why would you do that? lol

#38 Posted by theothernormal (74 posts) -

I liked what I played of Dishonored but I suck at stealth games and ended up not finishing it.

#39 Posted by sukraj (22133 posts) -

I enjoyed Dishonored... I just returned Thief.

why did u return Thief?

#40 Posted by girlshavefuntoo (120 posts) -

Dishonored is quite overrated. Way too easy and short.

#41 Posted by Mesomorphin (813 posts) -

Upon playing more of Thief I'am starting to understand why it got the reviews it did. TBH, now that I think about it I would probably choose Dishonored over Thief, Thief has some interesting ideas and concepts but they fall flat upon level repetition and god awful technicality. Atleast Dishonoured fully utilises its ideas, although few. Still with that said, I would only give Dishonored a 7.5/10. I feel as though it didnt have enough weaponry at your disposal.

#42 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

I thought Dishonored was great. Really liked the artwork, character design, and backstory of that game's universe.

#43 Edited by Jacanuk (4218 posts) -

@ShadowsDemon said:
@shangtsung7 said:

@bowchicka07 said:

you and i are polar opposites on that opinion bro, i find stealth incredibly boring and will never understand you guys who obsess over it..

playing a game in a manner where you avoid everything interesting makes no sense, renders all weapon upgrades pointless, and its like drinking a cup of coffee without creme or sugar.. why would you do that? lol

I like black coffee so that might explain why i like stealth. :D

But i can tell you why i like stealth , its because it requires more skill then go all rambo, you have to think ahead and plan your moves and to few games uses the mechanism so its good when games like Dishonored and Thief comes out.

#44 Edited by Evil_Saluki (4878 posts) -

I'm just about to install and play Thief now. I've played Thief ,2 ,3 and Dishonored and enjoyed every one of them. It feels like a crime to pass one down.

I'm disappointed they dumped the potential female lead and went back to Garrot on a side note. I remember number 3 ending with him retiring and her becoming his apprentice. It does feel like girls been shafted again. The role of a cat bugler thief fits into girls size 6's better then a blokes size 11's.

#45 Edited by ShangTsung7 (247 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@shangtsung7 said:

@ShadowsDemon said:
@shangtsung7 said:

@bowchicka07 said:

I like black coffee so that might explain why i like stealth. :D

But i can tell you why i like stealth , its because it requires more skill then go all rambo, you have to think ahead and plan your moves and to few games uses the mechanism so its good when games like Dishonored and Thief comes out.

black coffee? ugh!! bitter..

and how is it not lack of skill on the part of stealth? you guys avoid all battles without even trying to win a fight! one could say thats a cowards tactic.. lol at least the way i play there is actually ass kickery involved, and no mistaking who the better man was, plus if i lose i have no excuses, while if you lose it likely means you just gave up as you stealth players usually reload a checkpoint every time you're spotted, which is just silly imo.. don't get me wrong tho m8, i'm not insulting you for it or anything, if thats how you like playing so be it, i wish i was that easily amused.. but don't knock me for preferring to play like the ultimate badass on these types of games. ;)

#46 Posted by Neonakaa (78 posts) -

I liked Dishonored but the stealth was not even needed, get a 2 shot pistol and 5 nades and you won the game. Just like you I prefer Thief too, the atmosphere was great like the guy in the start saying ''This is not food for the hungry, this is not medicine of the sick!'' and i feel it 1up's Dishonored's atmosphere any day of the week.

#47 Edited by Korvus (3204 posts) -

Dishonored was kind of ok...I was having fun while playing it, then halfway through I had to uninstall it and thought "I'll reinstall it later to finish it"...never did...sometimes I think about it and still not bother; so you're probably right, I didn't enjoy it as much as thought that I should play through it because everybody said they loved it and I wanted to see what that was about.

#48 Posted by MasterTankallex (94 posts) -

Loved Dishonored, and currently loving Thief. I'd have to wait until I beat the game to see which I like more.

#49 Posted by donmuath (61 posts) -

Dishonored was one of the few games I liked in 2013, spent many a happy hour slinking around Dunwall,

#50 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

@ShadowsDemon said:
@shangtsung7 said:

@bowchicka07 said:

I didn't say I avoid everything interesting. I go for everything interesting, I just prefer not to be seen. I didn't do that in Dishonored and I really had a bad experience with it.