How long have you been gaming?

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by betamaxx83 (351 posts) -

I've been gaming since 1990 so about 24 years. What about you? Do you ever see yourself quitting games? Personally I cannot.

I enjoy games more than any other form of entertainment, I just couldn't ever see my self stopping to play.

I can quit playing I did for about 2 years, and on and off during all my years but at some point I always came back because I missed some aspect of it.

#2 Posted by marcheegsr (2756 posts) -

Same as you. 1990. I don't think I see myself quitting games. Age is just a number. Im 28 now and I play more then when I was 15.

It doesn't make me any less mature also. In fact im more mature then most of my 28 year old friends. My older brother is 35 and he still plays. My cousin is in his late 40's and hes a successful lawyer and owns like every system and every game. So I say GAME ON.

Gaming is entertainment. It's like watching your favourite movie or tv show.

#3 Posted by Archangel3371 (15661 posts) -

I've been gaming for 35+ years and considering that I'm enjoying it now more then ever I don't see myself stopping and why would I. That's like saying I'm going to stop watching movies or tv or listening to music, etc.

#4 Posted by Jimmy_Russell (788 posts) -

Since the dawn of mankind, gaming has been a passion of mine.

#5 Posted by Cloud_imperium (3365 posts) -

18+ Years .

#6 Posted by Conjuration (3538 posts) -

Since 1984. First system was an Atari (technically my first was the Coleco Telstar). Frostbite and Megamania were my favorites back then.

Then I went pretty much exclusively Nintendo games from about '88 until '93, then I just hung in arcades for my gaming fix until about '96 when I started gaming on the Playstation. After that gen I've always had a Nintendo and Sony console.

Currently playing in the PS3/Wii era, but by the end of this year I'll have a PS4 and Wii U.

I don't think I'll quit gaming. Even if I stopped playing, I think I'd always be a collector so long as physical media continues to exist.

#7 Posted by bowchicka07 (1075 posts) -

18 years

#8 Edited by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

30+years.

I played pong when it came out. combat, descent, wing commander (with joystiq:)), dukenukem, doom, Atari, etcetcetc.

and, so, i'll say that my passion as a gamer has grown as I've aged.

as well, I now care about the issues impacting the gaming industry.

#9 Edited by naz99 (1366 posts) -

1983 so about 31 years

#10 Posted by Sefrix (888 posts) -

1993 is the first absolute solid memory of gaming for me but honestly even since I could hold a controller. Gaming is my hobby and my passion. It's not just something I do for simple entertainment so no, I'll never stop gaming.

#11 Posted by Gallowhand (476 posts) -

I caught the gaming bug (on PC) when I was in college, so from around 1983/84 (30+ years). Prior to that, I occasionally played arcade games like Pac-Man. I never owned a console of any description until I had kids.

#12 Posted by abaramuchi (25 posts) -

Since I was a wee tyke with an Intellivision -1981. I don't bother with cable, so my tv only exists for gaming and Netflix. I prefer active entertainment to passive so I see myself at 104 playing Final Fantasy 52-8: Lightning's Diaper Surprise and Assassin's Creed 88: Dinossassin and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Are You F@$&ing Kidding Me Edition.

#13 Edited by Boddicker (2745 posts) -

I remember playing Galaga and Pac-Man in 1984 or so, but I got my first PC (Tandy 1000) in the 85 or 86.

#14 Posted by Korvus (3853 posts) -

1990 for me as well. I don't see myself stopping but I also wouldn't be surprised if I did. Video games occupy less and less time of my life the more I focus on my family, so it wouldn't surprise me.

#15 Posted by Jared_Bodner (10 posts) -

Around 1990, because I remember clearly Final Fantasy 1 coming out and my friend getting it... before I had the NES I used to always try to get on my friends' consoles when I was at their houses. Never was that interested when they had Atari.. haha

#16 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

Since the 70s. Old Atari, the PONG console. I was too young for the Magnavox Odyssey when it came out, but played pretty much every major console after it. I skipped a couple like the Atari Jaguar, the 3DO and I could never afford my own Neo-Geo. But I had most of them. And my cousins or friends always had some of the PC machines so I played a few of those games as well before getting my own PC in the 90s

#17 Posted by CTR360 (7087 posts) -

since 1997

#18 Edited by Klunt_Bumskrint (3908 posts) -

31 Years. Always been told I'll grow out of it.

Neeeeeeeeeeever gunna happen ;/

#19 Posted by Namgis (3577 posts) -

'84. No plans to quit. No reason to.

#20 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

@klunt_bumskrint:

lol, exactly. and, now, my mom plays crush and stuff on her phone and has all kinds of games for her grandchildren on the I-pad. of course, she bought plants vs. for the granddaughter and not herself, lol :)

#21 Posted by Flubbbs (3099 posts) -

since around 1985-86

#22 Posted by SoNin360 (5483 posts) -

Wow, I feel young here. I took an interest in playing games pretty early on. I'd say I was probably 3 or 4 when I played my first game. So I guess I'd say 1998, or 15-16 years. I've probably at least doubled or even tripled the number of games I've played in the last 5 years, though. Before that I was fairly casual, sticking to a few games a year and playing the ones I had for a very long time.

#23 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18479 posts) -

My first console was a 1981 Adman Grandstand, I must have been playing it around 1987 though.

#24 Posted by jdc6305 (3882 posts) -

The first game I ever played was Galaga in 1982

#25 Posted by marcheegsr (2756 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

Since the 70s. Old Atari, the PONG console. I was too young for the Magnavox Odyssey when it came out, but played pretty much every major console after it. I skipped a couple like the Atari Jaguar, the 3DO and I could never afford my own Neo-Geo. But I had most of them. And my cousins or friends always had some of the PC machines so I played a few of those games as well before getting my own PC in the 90s

Damn man, I feel like a baby.

#26 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8966 posts) -

Probably about 21 years. My first game was Donkey Kong on the intelivision interestingly enough. I don't think I'll ever stop gaming, but I have a very old-school mentality when it comes to this medium so I've come to dislike a lot of trends in the industry. Luckily there's indies and Nintendo around still to keep it alive.

#27 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17164 posts) -

Like 25 years, I guess. I started with my parents' intellivision, and I haven't stopped playing since.

#28 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71869 posts) -

I am not sure if i was 3 or 4, but i got my Gameboy around a very young age. So i would say around 21 years or so

#29 Posted by MasterTankallex (94 posts) -

About 25 years now, since I was 4 or 5. I never see myself quitting, it's too much apart of me.

#30 Posted by quatoe (5678 posts) -

Started gaming in late 94, I was just turning 3 years old. My first video game experience was the original The Legend of Zelda on the NES, and that game is the sole reason I continue to play video games. I took maybe a two year break back in 2010-2012. I realized gaming was going to be a part of my life again and now I can't put the 360 controller or my Wii U Gamepad down.

#31 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@marcheegsr said:

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

Damn man, I feel like a baby.

Get off my lawn you kids!

#32 Posted by Kevlar101 (6146 posts) -

Only for 5 years or so.

#33 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

33 years

#34 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (6113 posts) -

Not sure of the exact year I started gaming... The first game I played was on Sega Master System, I know that. So I'd say early 90s.

And I can't see myself ever giving it up completely. I might not have as much time to play in the future, but I'll never give it up. I love it too much.

#35 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Not sure of the exact year I started gaming... The first game I played was on Sega Master System, I know that. So I'd say early 90s.

And I can't see myself ever giving it up completely. I might not have as much time to play in the future, but I'll never give it up. I love it too much.

Believe it or not, when you have a balanced life your hobbies become even better. Not having enough time to play as much is actually a blessing. When you play games too much, they become rote and everyday. But when you can keep things in balance; time with a significant other (or others, whatever. I don't judge), time with family, time spent working, good diet and exercise, and then your hobby time becomes more special. More meaningful.

But yeah, I expect over the next 10 years there's going to be a lot more people like me. People in their 40s or older who just never tired of the hobby. Most of my generation left gaming behind as they grew up and embraced more traditional hobbies like our parents did. When we started it was still just a novelty. But my daughter was raised with games as part of her regular activities. She'll be 18 this month, but has literally been gaming since she could hold a controller. Technically even before. When she was a baby I'd take pictures of her holding my PS1 or N64 controllers. Of course she slobbered on them while teething... but still.

#36 Posted by lumzi32 (332 posts) -

Probably since the late 80's or early 90's. Even though I liked games a lot and played quite a few of the best (Mario games, Street Fighter 2 and so on), I missed a staggering number number of them as well. This is partly why I am not as fond of the NES and SNES generations as I am of later generations: I simply missed out on too many amazing ones (Metroid, Castlevania, Zelda, almost every early JRPG etc)

I didn't become truly hardcore until the PS2/Xbox/GC generation.

#37 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (6113 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Believe it or not, when you have a balanced life your hobbies become even better. Not having enough time to play as much is actually a blessing. When you play games too much, they become rote and everyday. But when you can keep things in balance; time with a significant other (or others, whatever. I don't judge), time with family, time spent working, good diet and exercise, and then your hobby time becomes more special. More meaningful.

But yeah, I expect over the next 10 years there's going to be a lot more people like me. People in their 40s or older who just never tired of the hobby. Most of my generation left gaming behind as they grew up and embraced more traditional hobbies like our parents did. When we started it was still just a novelty. But my daughter was raised with games as part of her regular activities. She'll be 18 this month, but has literally been gaming since she could hold a controller. Technically even before. When she was a baby I'd take pictures of her holding my PS1 or N64 controllers. Of course she slobbered on them while teething... but still.

Yeah good points... I probably take gaming for granted abit sometimes, and probably will enjoy it more as I get older.

#38 Posted by SlyRoxas97 (59 posts) -

I've been playing games since I was only about 1 or 2 years old, my first game was Crash Bandicoot: Warped.

#39 Edited by bussinrounds (2171 posts) -

@abaramuchi said:

Since I was a wee tyke with an Intellivision -1981

Intellivision was the shit.

#40 Posted by ristactionjakso (5729 posts) -

O since I was about 4, I'm 27 now.

#41 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9598 posts) -

Sixteen years, which was some time in 1997.

#42 Posted by spike6958 (4794 posts) -

22 years. Started when I was 3 with the original Sonic the Hedgehog on the SEGA MegaDrive.

#43 Posted by LightsInSpace (7 posts) -

I've been gaming for about 16 years, my first system was the super nintendo. I've owned a ps1, ps2, xbox, gamecube, xbox 360, ps3, and xbox one.

#44 Posted by abaramuchi (25 posts) -

@bussinrounds said:

@abaramuchi said:

Since I was a wee tyke with an Intellivision -1981

Intellivision was the shit.

Yeah it was. The creativity of games like B-17 Bomber, Sea Battle, Utopia, Shark Shark, Bomb Squad, and Minotaur (or Treasure of Tarmin, as my cartridge read) was light years beyond anything on the Atari.

#45 Posted by Bigboi500 (29955 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

I've been gaming for 35+ years and considering that I'm enjoying it now more then ever I don't see myself stopping and why would I. That's like saying I'm going to stop watching movies or tv or listening to music, etc.

Same. That means you and I are old, very very old. :(

#46 Posted by Gruug (735 posts) -

Since Spring 1974. Started at the University of Illinois during my Junior year in High School. Never stopped since and never plan to.

#47 Posted by MarsLumo88 (10 posts) -

I feel like a very young sapling compared to a lot of you guys.

There are two answers to this question for me. I started playing games way back in about 1992 but didn't really start playing and getting into a different variety of games until 2001. My 8th-10th grade years were filled with playing games such as Baldurs Gate II, the final fantasies, chrono trigger, starcraft and a lot of others. Those were some great days.

#48 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2696 posts) -

I started playing games when i was 3 with my dad so nearly 18 years

#49 Posted by MaestroBanyen (16 posts) -

I've been gaming ever since the N64. Occasionally I would play the classics like mario and tecmo.

I don't think i'll ever quit tho. When I have a family I will spend more time with them but I will sneak my hours in at some point in the night haha.

#50 Posted by yngsten (218 posts) -

24 - 25 years or so.