How long does Gamestop hold pre-orders?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Vanillamarble (183 posts) -
I pre-ordered Uncharted 3 and MW3 from Gamestop recently, and it was my first time pre-ordering from them. I usually do it on Amazon. I was wondering how long Gamestop holds the game for you. Is it until you pick it up, a couple days/weeks after the games release, or what?
#2 Posted by silentnightmere (1520 posts) -
Until 2 days after the release of said game. Then they take your money and you get no game. It says it on the receipt.
#3 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

Gamestop are a just a bunch of shysters, I don't know why people do business with them. But to answer your question I think up to 3 days.

#4 Posted by -DirtySanchez- (32760 posts) -
for some reason im thinking its noon the day after its release or something to that effect, doesnt it say on the recipt somewhere?
#5 Posted by BranKetra (49073 posts) -
48 hours, but I've called and requested they hold it a little longer. They did.
#6 Posted by Metamania (12021 posts) -

Gamestop are a just a bunch of shysters, I don't know why people do business with them. But to answer your question I think up to 3 days.

ShadowMoses900

Because their pre-orders are reliable and they have some good deals on both new and used games. That's why I do business with them.

#7 Posted by -DirtySanchez- (32760 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

Metamania

Because their pre-orders are reliable and they have some good deals on both new and used games. That's why I do business with them.

well for alot of stuff they are the only way to get pre order bonuses, their used games tend to be only $ less then new thats far from a deal, and their new games are priced the same as any other stores
#8 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

Metamania

lol at thinking Gamestop gives good deals on games. If you buy a brand new 60$ game and open it up and then go back into Gamestop to trade it in they will only give you about 15$ at most for that brand new game you just bought. Then they turn around and sell it for 55$, yeah that sure is a good deal ain't it!

Your better off using Amazon or finding a non corporate retail chain as they tend to offer much better deals. For instance I trade a few games in every now and then at this small game store business and they give 30$ for your game and sell it for 40$. They arn't making as much of a profit as Gamestop is but they are atleast treating their customers like people and not $ucker$

#9 Posted by BranKetra (49073 posts) -

lol at thinking Gamestop gives good deals on games. If you buy a brand new 60$ game and open it up and then go back into Gamestop to trade it in they will only give you about 15$ at most for that brand new game you just bought. Then they turn around and sell it for 55$, yeah that sure is a good deal ain't it!

Your better off using Amazon or finding a non corporate retail chain as they tend to offer much better deals. For instance I trade a few games in every now and then at this small game store business and they give 30$ for your game and sell it for 40$. They arn't making as much of a profit as Gamestop is but they are atleast treating their customers like people and not $ucker$

ShadowMoses900
If I preorder a game, it's usually one I don't plan on trading in anytime soon. They don't give much for trade ins most of the time, but some of their deals are good.
#10 Posted by Phoenix534 (17774 posts) -

It's supposed to be two days, but no one listens to that.

#11 Posted by WorldDman97 (97 posts) -
2 days and like Branketra said if you call and ask they can give you and extra 2 days ( in Arizona)
#12 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -
Gamestop only serves one purpose for me and that is to get that one exclusive console game @ midnight launch. I always enjoy the midnight launches as I end up meeting some cool peeps. Gears of War 3 Epic Edition reserved and I'll end up doing the same for Halo 4, or maybe not. We'll see. But Gears of War 3, I'm not missing.
#13 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -

Until 2 days after the release of said game. Then they take your money and you get no game. It says it on the receipt. silentnightmere
THEY TAKE YOUR MONEY??? Please tell me your joking.

#14 Posted by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

[QUOTE="silentnightmere"]Until 2 days after the release of said game. Then they take your money and you get no game. It says it on the receipt. Wolfetan

Can't confirm anything but it doesn't say they take your money on the receipt because I just looked it says game will be held for 48 hours
#15 Posted by dotWithShoes (4869 posts) -
[QUOTE="Wolfetan"]

[QUOTE="silentnightmere"]Until 2 days after the release of said game. Then they take your money and you get no game. It says it on the receipt. redskins26rocs

Can't confirm anything but it doesn't say they take your money on the receipt because I just looked it says game will be held for 48 hours

The money you put on the game stays on the game till you pick it up. My local gamestop still has preorders for Madden 11.
#16 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -

[QUOTE="redskins26rocs"][QUOTE="Wolfetan"] THEY TAKE YOUR MONEY??? Please tell me your joking.

dotWithShoes

The money you put on the game stays on the game till you pick it up. My local gamestop still has preorders for Madden 11.

Thats awesome haha.

#17 Posted by Novemberrr (170 posts) -

Two days after the game's release. Make sure you get it before it's gone. :(

#18 Posted by cprmauldin (1567 posts) -

48 hours, but they will gladly hold it for longer if you call and ask.

#19 Posted by Gamerperson33 (431 posts) -
In my case, last year I pre-ordered World of Warcraft: Cataclysm back in September. I stopped playing in October, and so I forgot that I had put down the pre-order money for the game. However, even by the end of December, I could still transfer that money to a new game which I did.
#20 Posted by Metamania (12021 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

Before you lol at me for thinking anything, I'll have you know that I've gotten some great deals from Gamestop in the past, even now. I'm a member of their Powerup Rewards club, which comes with good perks every now and then and the points that I'm saving with each purchase, each reserve, etc...I can use that later on for something like, oh I don't know, $50 off a brand-new purchase. But something like that takes a long while to earn, for sure, but every now and then, they have good deals.

And I've gone to Amazon for my gaming business and they are just as good, but I use them if I want new copies of a game that's hard to find around here. I almost had to cave in and buy Bayonetta on Amazon for $30 brand-new, but I was lucky enough to find the game at a bargin bin in Sears for $20. Last time I bought anything new from Amazon, as far as new goes, was for both Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata. You can always find good deals there for brand-new or used games too, like you said.

PS: If you want a recent example of how good Gamestop was for me, they had James Bond 007: Bloodstone for both PS3 and XBox 360, brand-new, for $9.99! This was a limited-time offer only and since I enjoyed the game when I rented it, it was a steal. So I bought it. So it may not be good to you or a few other folks, which I can understand (since Gamestop have also screwed me over with used copies that were really scratched and killed my systems a few times), but for me, what I do find there is good business every now and then.

#21 Posted by Overlord93 (12602 posts) -
Why anyone would pre-order in store is beyond me, you're better off doing it online.
#22 Posted by Jelley0 (1867 posts) -

Apparently for a long time considering they honored Duke Nukem Forever pre-order receipts lol.

#23 Posted by ArchonOver (1103 posts) -

Why anyone would pre-order in store is beyond me, you're better off doing it online.Overlord93

Different people have different situations. I'm in a household with a bandwidth cap and with people who use up most of the cap. If I preorder a game online, I have to download it to play it on release day, right? But downloading games goes against my bandwidth cap. So on top of not having a cd and the case, I have to pay extra for the amount of gigs that I pass over that limit. This makes buying and playing games online pretty much a non option for me.

#24 Posted by Overlord93 (12602 posts) -

[QUOTE="Overlord93"]Why anyone would pre-order in store is beyond me, you're better off doing it online.ArchonOver

Different people have different situations. I'm in a household with a bandwidth cap and with people who use up most of the cap. If I preorder a game online, I have to download it to play it on release day, right? But downloading games goes against my bandwidth cap. So on top of not having a cd and the case, I have to pay extra for the amount of gigs that I pass over that limit. This makes buying and playing games online pretty much a non option for me.

No, you just order it and then they mail it to your house to arrive on the release day?