How is the PS4's "slight superiority" gonna help it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Serioussamik
Member since 2010 • 773 Posts

So I bought the PS4 and got disappointed by KZ: SF. Ryse looks so much better IMHO.

Now I was wondering how is the PS4 being "slightly superior hardware-wise , going to fare in coming years?

I know multiplats will look the same..no matter what! But exclusives-wise is PS4 gonna score higher in visuals?

I know a question about "coming years" will be automatically answered in the "coming years" only... :P But curious to know your general feelings about this, as this gen, the hardware being kinda similar allows better comparison.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Visuals to me at least, are only a small part of the overall experience. MS made it clear with the Xbox 1 they were gearing it towards the family with the Kinect and TV/media capabilities. PS4 instead seemed more focus on the gamers and put their efforts into building the better system for such. In time, I think developers will realize the potential of the PS4 and focus on creating the ulitmate gaming experience - as the system was designed for. This is when the PS4 will surpass the Xbox 1 in every way.

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

If you choose to ignore the power and superior mulitplats you still can't ignore the $100 price difference.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Because it isn't just slightly superior, it's around 50% superior. And the Xbone is a collection of bad ideas, only some of which have been corrected. I mean, they almost didn't include a disc drive on the Xbone. A fucking disc drive. That's the word anyway. Anyone who doubts the company had its collective head up its ass when coming up with this machine has their head up their own.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

As always Uncharted will surpass anything on Xbone. As of right now IO agree nothing on PS4 looks that great. KZSF does have really good visuals and huge levels although I think PS4 can do better. Uncharted 4 will prove the true power of the PS4. Ryse agreed looks better than anything out there this gen so far. But the gameplay is said to be lame.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

The superior power will probably be noticed in exclusives and features. Multiplats will be the same. The only hope is that multiplats run at better frame rates.

But the exclusives can be noticeably better. And there could be features allowed by the extra power that the X1 won't be able to do. Maybe allowing a 2nd player in a Lego game to use the Vita and get their own screen, as opposed to that split screen setup they do now. Sandbox games could require less loading if devs can fit more of the map in memory (although I haven't played GTA5, so that may not be an issue).

Basically, I think multiplats can have the better version on PS4 if the developers bother to use the extra power for functionality, and not necessarily to add more content.

Darth_Kagrenac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Darth_Kagrenac
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

In the long run,I think we will see this superior power when they release more exclusive games. We just have to be patient ;)!

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10  Edited By LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

multiplats will be multiplats. i doubt there will be much of a difference as far as those go.

for exclusives, i'm sure there will be some technically impressive looking games. naughty dog does a lot of corridor-y games and santa monica will have some tricks too. i'm sure they'll both have nice screenshots. even with guerilla, shadow fall is a launch game and i remember hearing that the PS4 specs weren't locked down for much of development.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

No. Look at how the Ps2 dominated when the Xbox and Gamecube had superior graphics quality.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

@muffin2020 said:

If you choose to ignore the power and superior mulitplats you still can't ignore the $100 price difference.

Of course he can, but the market won't :).

tester_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tester_guy
Member since 2003 • 56 Posts

The specs on both the PS4 and Xbox One look very similar. But I think the PS4 is faster because it doesn't run two completely different operating systems at the same time. The Xbox One takes about 2 GB of its available RAM to make sure players can switch to live TV or Skype any time they want, so that special brew of Windows 8 is always running in the background. RAM does make a difference in things like screen resolution.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44157 Posts

Well mainly exclusives will showcase the extra power the most although I personally don't think it'll be all that greatly different from Xbox One exclusives but we'll see. Right now the biggest advantage it has is the $100 price difference. Seeing how the two compete in pricing strategy is what I think will the biggest difference maker.

Zjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zjun
Member since 2013 • 147 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

roughly 50% more powerful is not slightly and it shows.

You can deny it all you want.

@jasean79 said:

Visuals to me at least, are only a small part of the overall experience. MS made it clear with the Xbox 1 they were gearing it towards the family with the Kinect and TV/media capabilities. PS4 instead seemed more focus on the gamers and put their efforts into building the better system for such. In time, I think developers will realize the potential of the PS4 and focus on creating the ulitmate gaming experience - as the system was designed for. This is when the PS4 will surpass the Xbox 1 in every way.

@muffin2020 said:

@Shame-usBlackley said:

Because it isn't just slightly superior, it's around 50% superior. And the Xbone is a collection of bad ideas, only some of which have been corrected. I mean, they almost didn't include a disc drive on the Xbone. A fucking disc drive. That's the word anyway. Anyone who doubts the company had its collective head up its ass when coming up with this machine has their head up their own.

@RimacBugatti said:

As always Uncharted will surpass anything on Xbone. As of right now IO agree nothing on PS4 looks that great. KZSF does have really good visuals and huge levels although I think PS4 can do better. Uncharted 4 will prove the true power of the PS4. Ryse agreed looks better than anything out there this gen so far. But the gameplay is said to be lame.

@dvader654 said:

You got the system that will have the better games (it may take a while though), that is why you should be happy.

I agree with everyone here. ^^^^^^

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#17  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

Ultimately I doubt the extra power will make too much of a difference if I'm completely honest. I expect the price difference will do more to swing the balance in Sony's favor than anything else. The power is only really interesting in the lead up to the release of the machines. After that the only thing that really matters is the collection of games. And they will both have games you can only play on one or the other. Multiplatform games will almost always be better on the PC anyway. So Uncharted will look amazing (assuming you like Uncharted), Halo will be a blast (assuming you like Halo), and CoD will continue to suck no matter where you play it. (kidding)

To put it another way: Xbox One's lack of power doesn't make THIS any less fun.

In the later days of this console cycle there may be some severe differences, but that has been the case for the last two generations. Original Xbox was vastly more powerful than it's closest competitors, but the PS2 took that one for free. PS3 was vastly more powerful than the 360, and it ended in a dead heat. Nearly every gamer I know owned both by the time all was said and done and both had some pretty great games up until this last year where Microsoft kinda dropped the ball on exclusives since late 2012 while Sony had a couple of graphically impressive standouts like TLoU and BEYOND.

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Serioussamik
Member since 2010 • 773 Posts

@zjun said:

@ShepardCommandr said:

roughly 50% more powerful is not slightly and it shows.

You can deny it all you want.

@jasean79 said:

@muffin2020 said:

@Shame-usBlackley said:

@RimacBugatti said:

@dvader654 said:

You got the system that will have the better games (it may take a while though), that is why you should be happy.

I agree with everyone here. ^^^^^^

Tell you what guys, this really made me happy!! :) And I honestly did not know the difference was so size-able.

Evdne971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Evdne971
Member since 2012 • 341 Posts

@ShepardCommandr: honestly it really doesn't show, I've played 720 and 1080... No difference at allll

The only thing it does is render background details slightly faster.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#20 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

In the long run, very little aside from exclusives. At most, we might see some third-party games perform better on PS4 as the generation wears on as developers start to maximize the systems' capabilities. Sort of like how Skyrim on PS3 was noticeably worse than it was on 360 due to the PS3's architecture, though that's also a special case. I doubt we'll see much -- if any -- instances of that scale. Most we'll likely see is maybe either one rendering at a slightly higher resolution or running smoother than the other. So small stuff, really.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Comparing Ryse and Killzone, visually, I came to the exact opposite conclusion myself after recently beating KZ Shadow Fall. Ryse surely does look pretty technically, but something is just a little "off" about it at the same time. It almost looks a bit too shiny. More clean than it should be. Killzone has that little extra oomph and grittiness that, for me, put's it on top as far as "next-gen"-ness of the visuals go. Skydiving through the collapsing ruins of Phyrrus on Helghan was really something.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

@c_rakestraw said:

In the long run, very little aside from exclusives. At most, we might see some third-party games perform better on PS4 as the generation wears on as developers start to maximize the systems' capabilities. Sort of like how Skyrim on PS3 was noticeably worse than it was on 360 due to the PS3's architecture, though that's also a special case. I doubt we'll see much -- if any -- instances of that scale. Most we'll likely see is maybe either one rendering at a slightly higher resolution or running smoother than the other. So small stuff, really.

Skyrim in PS3 is a reflect of Bethesda's cynicism and laziness rather than the PS3's development tools. They knew it was a hideously buggy game so they held the PS3 version back from reviewers, let them play through the X360 version, then shipped them the PS3 versions (whose bugs got nastier as one got deeper in) a day or two before launch. Reviewers put an hour or two into the PS3 version and pronounced the X360 version superior but the differences negligible. In fact the differences got progressively worse as the game went on and if one put enough time into the PS3 version of Skyrim it became damn near unplayable, but reviewers wouldn't know that since they didn't have the time to get to that point before Skyrim shipped.

Its striking that Oblivion on the PS3 (made back when the tools were by all accounts a horrifying mess) was actually better looking and just as polished as the Xbox version (which was the most polished console/PC game Bethesda had ever shipped) because back then Bethesda was eager to prove itself to console audiences. Nowadays they are established and everything they excrete tends to earn gushing reviews and good sales no matter how infested with bugs, so they don't waste much time polishing their games. I'm sure EA would love to have Bethesda's fans ('The game doesn't work, but that's okay, hopefully it will work someday!').

http://www.gamesradar.com/high-horse-broken-ps3-skyrim-was-inevitable-inexcusable-and-may-be-your-fault/

I knew this was going to happen. I bloody knew it. I was predicting exactly this occurrence around the office weeks before release. Why? Because I played Fallout 3. More specifically I reviewed all of its PS3 DLC. That was a week of black, endless night and seething, fevered Lovecraftian horror. Make no mistake, that shit was broken, and it was broken in exactly the same way that PS3 Skyrim is. Couple that previous experience with the fact that PS3 Skyrim code was conspicuously thin on the ground in the run up to the game’s release and you’ll understand why my stinker-sense was tingling.

I really didn’t want to be right. And when my PS3 playing friends and colleagues started ploughing happily through Skyrim for hours on end, I breathed a sigh of relief, satisfied that, this time at least, my cynicism had been over-sensitively placed.

And then yesterday the reports of disaster, disappointment and personal loss started to come through. One by one, all of my friends hit the 25 – 30 hour mark. One by one their games collapsed in on themselves. Frame rates fell apart. Key quest characters stopped interacting, or disappeared entirely. I have never seen so many people so quickly go from being so happy to so sad and broken.