How is Murdered guys?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#1 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

I've been thinking about buying this game for a while now, but it seems thats it only been getting negative opinions and impressions, what do you guys think? please give me mini reviews/thoughts thanks!

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Played it. It was okay. The story is interesting as are the characters, but the gameplay is too simplistic and very directed for what's supposed to be a detective game.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#3 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@mesomorphin: @mastermetal777: Yeah, it practically plays like a point and click adventure game except built as a 3rd person puzzle game with an obligitory stealth/combat/QTE mechanic crammed in. It's kind of like LA Noire but without the interview mechanic. I haven't beaten it yet, but it's fun, atmospheric, and the story and characters seem well put together. There's also a semi-open world-esque element of exploration within each map that allows you to find and solve side quests for other ghosts, which is also interesting. Just don't expect any ground-breaking gameplay here. If you're in it, you're in it for the story.

-Byshop

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#4 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

@Byshop said:

@mesomorphin: @mastermetal777: Yeah, it practically plays like a point and click adventure game except built as a 3rd person puzzle game with an obligitory stealth/combat/QTE mechanic crammed in. It's kind of like LA Noire but without the interview mechanic. I haven't beaten it yet, but it's fun, atmospheric, and the story and characters seem well put together. There's also a semi-open world-esque element of exploration within each map that allows you to find and solve side quests for other ghosts, which is also interesting. Just don't expect any ground-breaking gameplay here. If you're in it, you're in it for the story.

-Byshop

How is the voice acting? Iam a huge sucker for great voice acting, aka Ryse son of rome haha

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mastermetal777

@mesomorphin: It's pretty solid voice acting. There's not a defining performance, but the actors they got are pretty good I think.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

plain garbage

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Byshop  Moderator

@mesomorphin: @mastermetal777: Yeah, it was decent. The voice acting so far has not at any point taken me out of the experience so it's perfectly servicable.

-Byshop

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Adventure Games are very unpopular :( !

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: they're kind of outdated. They require the bare minimum of actual input and the final outcome is usually fixed

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Byshop  Moderator

@mastermetal777 said:

@Lulu_Lulu: they're kind of outdated. They require the bare minimum of actual input and the final outcome is usually fixed

There are many adventure games to which this does not apply. The Walking Dead series being one of the best examples. You have to make many fast, life or death decisions that may or may not turn out the way you want and it is more stressful than most FPS games I've played.

-Byshop

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

They are not outdated, and most of the gameplay takes place in your mind so the interface is merely there to project your results.

However The Adventure Genre is being repurposed to tell stories instead of solving mysteries.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: Most adventure games are heavily narrative based. Just because you had to solve mysteries in them didn't make them any less story-focused. They were story-based obstacle courses for the most part.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

And now they are just Stories.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: Not necessarily. Most "adventure" games nowadays have considerably more input than previous ones. It's not just "click and see what happens" anymore. Now you actually get to move, grab, attack, or whatever the game has to offer. But there comes a price with that, since most 3D games have the expectation of actually having a lot of input and agency. Take The Walking Dead. Sure, you could walk around and talk to people, but most of the action involved moving a cursor to a certain spot and hitting the right button at the right time. Much more input needed than just pointing to an object and clicking it at the right time. Hell, the game even had segments where it became an FPS for a scene or two.

Or hell, even another example of a modern "Adventure" game, Heavy Rain (boy, I can't wait for this response XD). In Heavy Rain, you move your character around with the analog stick and the R2 button, and when you move the character towards certain objects, they interact in a series of quick-time events built into the game. Sometimes you maintained control of the character completely by moving them as the events unfold, and sometimes you just had to make sure they passed it. Even if you failed, the game moved on regardless. But that basic idea of interacting with objects and solving puzzles through interactions is present in the game, as it was with most adventure games of previous years. Are they story based? Yeah they are. A lot of games happen to be story-based and you just have to get used to it (they will perfect it). But a 3D adventure game is tough to pull off, and I believe Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead pulled it off well, give or take a few missteps in both.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Yes they do have alot of Interaction now but most of it isn't actually gameplay, or atleast not very good gameplay.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: Uh huh. And how do you define "actual gameplay?" In my opinion, it's whatever you want it to be so long as the player has some choice in how they wanna play, and no that doesn't involve narrative choice all the time. A simple act of either dodging, countering, or attacking is considered a choice in a game, regardless of how much input is actually given. As long as the player has a choice, be it with a button prompt or with a complex maneuver, it's still gameplay. Maybe it's not what you prefer, but it all fits under the same umbrella term of "gameplay."

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Extremely poor gameplay. Very short. Interesting story and environment.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

I don't have a definition for gameplay, just a rough estimate.

and choice is not enough.... There needs to be a follow-through as, after making the choice theres still the matter of executing said choice. This is Something I always loved about LA. Noire's Choice Structure.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: And that's all anyone has: a rough estimate. What you think is good gameplay might just be for a certain type(s) of game and doesn't necessarily apply to every other game.

And as for L.A. Noire, those choices are rendered moot when the story moves on regardless of how good or bad you do on a case. There's no consequence except for within the case and not for the overall story, which is inconsistent at best. Execution is just as important as the follow-through, but it must all remain consistent.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@mastermetal777: Yeah, LA Noire is a terrible example. Choices in that game make next to no difference in the long run.

-Byshop

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Nevermind the Story, I was talking about the Mechanic its self, the Truth and Doubt Choices are pretty standard but the thing I absolutely loved about LA Noire was the Lie option, you didn't just have to choose it, you had to follow through by proving it as well, this is whats missing in Everysingle RPG that features choices, specifically Dialogue skills.

Anyway If you played many Adventures Games (I'm sure you played more than I have), then you'l realise they are caught in between a rock and a hard place most of the time, LA. Noire didn't want the story to lose momentum so they let you continue (poorly I might add) even when you get things wrong, this might make the player feel like they're being patronized, its the "Everybody gets a Trophy" effect. On the other side of the spectrum you have more classic Adventure Games where you cannot continue unless you overcome the obstacle ahead of you, which might be more frustrating than it is challenging if you get stuck, and this happens quite often.

But you wana know whats really funny ? Quantic Dream and Tell Tale Games don't fall into either category, since there is no right or wrong wrong way to play. The point is just to form a story, which will happen just be completing the game, any which way you see fit. In Heavy Rain the story actually gets better if certain characters "fail" certain scenarios.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Nevermind the Story, I was talking about the Mechanic its self, the Truth and Doubt Choices are pretty standard but the thing I absolutely loved about LA Noire was the Lie option, you didn't just have to choose it, you had to follow through by proving it as well, this is whats missing in Everysingle RPG that features choices, specifically Dialogue skills.

Anyway If you played many Adventures Games (I'm sure you played more than I have), then you'l realise they are caught in between a rock and a hard place most of the time, LA. Noire didn't want the story to lose momentum so they let you continue (poorly I might add) even when you get things wrong, this might make the player feel like they're being patronized, its the "Everybody gets a Trophy" effect. On the other side of the spectrum you have more classic Adventure Games where you cannot continue unless you overcome the obstacle ahead of you, which might be more frustrating than it is challenging if you get stuck, and this happens quite often.

But you wana know whats really funny ? Quantic Dream and Tell Tale Games don't fall into either category, since there is no right or wrong wrong way to play. The point is just to form a story, which will happen just be completing the game, any which way you see fit. In Heavy Rain the story actually gets better if certain characters "fail" certain scenarios.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Pretty good game. I enjoyed it enough to play through it twice.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I enjoyed it overall. It does some things really well, mainly the story and the atmosphere of the game. The gameplay definitely gets repetitive however.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lulu_Lulu

Oh God, its LA. Noire all over again.

tammytahreem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points