How important are achievments/Trophies?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

Edited By The_Last_Ride

Poll How important are achievments/Trophies? (45 votes)

Very important, they give replay value 13%
They make me do things i usually wouldn't 18%
They are alright, but i don't go out of my way to play them 24%
I don't really care 16%
They're worthless to me 29%
 • 
Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

When I see a post in which a person is bragging about how many games they've platinumed I immediately think "forever alone."

/thread.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

I voted very important as I find they have become a part of the gaming experience for me and often give the game replay value.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

absolutely worthless to me.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I don't mind them. I don't have any platinum trophies so I guess I would say they don't matter too much to me. But it's always nice to hear them pop up.

Sometimes I will browse through the achievements to see if some are easy to get. I rarely go out of my way to get them though.

DarthGumballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 DarthGumballs
Member since 2013 • 226 Posts

Very important. If I'm playing a game that isn't multiplayer and I'm not unlocking achievements pretty regularly I'll quit playing because I feel like there's nothing to show for it. Unless it's incredibly fun, I won't bother. If there's a steady stream of achievements I'll stick with a game I otherwise wouldn't finish.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

They give me a reason to replay the game on hard.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

If I get a trophy, that's cool I guess... But I certainly don't go out of my way or do anything different so I can earn more trophies.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

They give me a quick way to see how my online friends are progressing in the games we both own, which can give me a challenge to rise to. But I don't go around bragging about them, that's just silly.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Not important. Not worthless. They're fun, but I could easily play without them, and I don't let them dictate how I play any more. Early on last gen they would, and it was a stupid way to play.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

Absolutely worthless to me and every time I hear someone turning their nose up at an older game because it doesn't have achievements (which happens ridiculously often) a little piece of me dies inside.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Their useless to me I could care less about them. The only reason they exist is for the gaming companies to track our habits. They can compare sale figures to how many people played it and so on. They can also see how many people finished the game. Why do you think last gen all of a sudden they freaked out about used sales? They had the cold hard numbers in front of them. It's also part of the reason Microsoft went the drm route.

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

couldn't possibly care less, dunno why so many people obsess over them. seems to me the only purpose they serve is for somebody with a huge ego to say "hey lookz at allz my cheevoz! how coolz am i!?" as for me, the only time i even hook net to my console is long enough to buy dlc then i hook it back to my computer, so they couldn't be more useless to me.. lol

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

They aren't that important to me. I've only ever platinumed 1 game. But they're fun to get if they aren't too tedious and if I'm really enjoying the game.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#14 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Never cared for them. I mean, I don't mind them, but I've never purposely gone out of my way to obtain them. All that would do is force me into performing tedious tasks instead of enjoying the game on my own terms. And that hardly sounds fun.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I only care for them in certain games, if I find them doable or quick enough to get. The multiplayer ones, however, are time-consuming and some I don't care getting and I obviously don't care about getting all of them. It's such a waste of my time getting achievements like winning 300 fights in a row or some crap. Not worth it. If it's all about getting stuff within the campaign, like with Saints Row IV or Batman: Arkham Origins, I'm willing to put the time in, since I know what I'm doing and it's fast to get there.

Hell, I can't believe that I actually played through the campaign in Origins three times to get the achievements for completing the game on Normal, New Game +, and I Am The Night! I'm a sad, strange little man...LOL!

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

When Microsoft first added them, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed earning Achievements in my games. Well actually, when I first heard about them I thought they were dumb, but when I got my 360 and started playing games with the Achievement system in place, I ended up enjoying them more than I ever would have expected.

But as the years went on they seemed to mean less and less. From games implementing them poorly or putting multiplayer achievements that seemed like they were more about luck than skill, I steadily lost interest over the years.

I will still try to get some of them in my favorite games. Games I already like and am enjoying playing, Achievements can offer some challenges and get me to try new things in a world I'm having fun exploring already. But for every one game that makes me want to get the Achievements, there's 10 that I can't be bothered to care about.

So I'd say they have their place, and it's not unheard of to see me trying to nab one now and again, but I wouldn't say I genuinely care about them anymore.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

they're not important to me.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Boddicker said:

When I see a post in which a person is bragging about how many games they've platinumed I immediately think "forever alone."

/thread.

I haven't bother plating games tbh. I have such a big backlog that i just move on to the next game when i think it's time. But i do like doing most of the trophies if they are interesting

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@shangtsung7 said:

couldn't possibly care less, dunno why so many people obsess over them. seems to me the only purpose they serve is for somebody with a huge ego to say "hey lookz at allz my cheevoz! how coolz am i!?" as for me, the only time i even hook net to my console is long enough to buy dlc then i hook it back to my computer, so they couldn't be more useless to me.. lol

You forgot to mention how online sucks and is ruining everything and insulting people who like multiplayer.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

I like them. Sometimes they'll help me discover an easter egg or something of the sort in a game I may have missed out on.

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@shangtsung7 said:

You forgot to mention how online sucks and is ruining everything and insulting people who like multiplayer.

not sure what you're going on about m8 but you got it all wrong, i'm not on some crazy crusade to spread hatred to online mp in gaming and troll every COD fanboy i run into on the internet, i do however get very fed up with being trash talked, dissed, and insulted by every multinut gamer who gets butthurt at the very thought of someone preferring sp over online mp, you guys are quite easily offended, as you just proved by example- i didn't even mention online multiplayer in the post you replied to and you were all piss and vinegar.. lighten up bro.

Matas_0R_Not

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Matas_0R_Not
Member since 2014 • 60 Posts

me to

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#23 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I don't care about achievements much but if it's worthless collection of items then I'm in...don't know why since I don't even enjoy it...

187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts

I don't get anything for them so they're worthless to me, I've never platinumed any game and have no intention of doing so. I know people hunt them for bragging rights but that seems a bit too nerdy for my liking, but to each their own I suppose.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I enjoy going for them, but if they went I wouldn't be bothered. Getting 1000/1000 for Mass Effect was a fun time, but if i'm honest I probably would have played the game three times like that anyway, just to see the different outcomes and how different squad-mates worked.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

Worthless to me.....

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The_Last_Ride

@spike6958 said:

I enjoy going for them, but if they went I wouldn't be bothered. Getting 1000/1000 for Mass Effect was a fun time, but if i'm honest I probably would have played the game three times like that anyway, just to see the different outcomes and how different squad-mates worked.

Probably the same here

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

Gives a game for challenges and replay value so I like to get the ones I can.

tempura13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tempura13
Member since 2009 • 453 Posts

They're fun to collect. It's also a great way to know things that you wouldn't probably discover (or bother) on your own, like easter eggs, alternate endings and other quirky stuff.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I don't care about them, but I think they are invaluable tool for developers. Achievements allow developers to see what/how (and thus why) people are playing their game.

Do people ignore the MP and focus on the SP (or vice versa)? What percentage of people beat the game? At what difficulty? Where do the people who didn't beat the game stop?

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

Not important at all! In fact I don't even look at them since I had Dead Space spoiled for me a few years back, thanks to the title of a certain achievement in the game!

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#32 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I wouldn't miss them if they were gone, but if I really like a game, I will seek them out.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 The_Last_Ride

@CarnageHeart said:

I don't care about them, but I think they are invaluable tool for developers. Achievements allow developers to see what/how (and thus why) people are playing their game.

Do people ignore the MP and focus on the SP (or vice versa)? What percentage of people beat the game? At what difficulty? Where do the people who didn't beat the game stop?

That's also a good observation

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#34 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I guess I'll once again answer this question. It's definitely a mixture of the first two options for me. I don't entirely rely on them for replay value, but they're definitely a factor. Trophies undoubtedly make me do things I normally wouldn't do in games, however. I used to not care too much about collectibles since I didn't feel there was much incentive to collecting everything in a game, but with trophies, I'm more inclined to find and do everything in a game to fulfill their requirements.

So overall they're important to me and I'd even say they've been a positive factor to gaming for me. Yet, there have been times where I've gone overboard with trophies, do things I really don't want to do just to earn them like grinding or forcing myself to play MP on some games. But overall I've still enjoyed collecting them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

The story is what should have made the game repayable. The graphics and even the characters should have. In no way I am calling you specifically out, but I shouldn't be able to earn a trophy for completing a portion of the game I have no choice to complete. Good job at passing your mandatory goal!

@Archangel3371 said:

I voted very important as I find they have become a part of the gaming experience for me and often give the game replay value.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

They're okay. Getting them can be kind of neat and it's a nice feature and all. I never was really motivated to try and hunt them down though.

I think if games were designed to award players within a game for achievements then maybe they would be more worthwhile. I mean, the only time I actually cared about achievements to some extent was for Halo 3 and Halo Reach, since achievements could actually earn you some armor to use in reach's multiplayer. the armor didn't really affect the gameplay of multiplayer, but I'm a sucker for aesthetic customization.

Hell, Wonderful 101's bottlecap collection kind of makes me want to try and collect many of the game's "achievements" (AKA bottlecaps), since you actually unlock secret characters by collecting them. If achievements/trophies could actually reward a player beyond just bragging rights, that'd be neat and make me care about achievement-like systems more.

SlyRoxas97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SlyRoxas97
Member since 2014 • 59 Posts

I like 'em, I feel satisfied every time I get a platinum trophy, and I usually go for them if they seem easy enough to get. But I don't try to get trophies that I think will be too hard for me to get.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

achievements aren't important at all too me, but, can simply be fun game additions if done right.

however, for me they do not add true replay value. that is about quality gameplay.

in fact, any game that uses achievements and multiplayer to add "replay" value gets me peeved, lol.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Quite meaningful.

People might say achievements and trophies don't add any replay value but they usually push you to play the game on a greater difficulty or do things in the game you might normally not do if you only gave it one play through. Many games would be beaten and never played again even if you didn't unlock every character, ability, etc..,

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40  Edited By good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

They're not really important, but the do add some replay value and make me play the game in ways that I wouldn't otherwise.

Getting a platinum for one of your favorite games is great.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 The_Last_Ride

@Solaryellow said:

Quite meaningful.

People might say achievements and trophies don't add any replay value but they usually push you to play the game on a greater difficulty or do things in the game you might normally not do if you only gave it one play through. Many games would be beaten and never played again even if you didn't unlock every character, ability, etc..,

They do it to me, but i don't go out of my way to get all of them

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

I don't go out intentionally looking for them, but I do keep tabs on how many trophies I have. I've almost obtained my 1000th trophy now.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 The_Last_Ride

@Solaryellow said:

Quite meaningful.

They do it to me, but i don't go out of my way to get all of them

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I don't really care if I platinum a game or not, but I still think they are fun little tasks to complete in a game which adds some replay value or makes you really explore the game. If I love the game I'll spend extra time to get every trophy I feel is worth it, but if they are too hard or the game isn't great I'll skip them.

marie4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 marie4u
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

most important. you cannot enjoy without that

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

they're meaningless to me

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

Quite meaningful.

They don't make me replay a game.

Avatar image for deactivated-581dd8ca87cd8
deactivated-581dd8ca87cd8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

User Lists: 1

#48 deactivated-581dd8ca87cd8
Member since 2013 • 256 Posts

I have a numerous amount of achievements on my Game Center account on various games. I personally don't find them important to me. They are only there for an optional extra challenge for the gamers that like Trophy/Achievement collecting.

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

I don't go out of my way to get them, but nice to have. If I am really good at a game I will on rare occasions try to go for some of the more "skillful" trophies/achievements. With the addition of the rarity percentage for PS4 trophies I like to get a few that are ultra rare etc.

I am not obsessed with how many I obtain, I am a competitive gamer but I like to focus on getting better at the game than hunting for trophies or achievements.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Pointless, but still fun to see unlock.