How I was Introduced to Final Fantasy VIII

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ohaifrancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By ohaifrancy
Member since 2013 • 126 Posts

I was introduced to RPGs when I was in the 7th grade with the game Final Fantasy VIII. My best friend was constantly playing a game and talking about this Japanese game he love. He played this game for hours and hours and was not even half way through. I decided to try it out and asked a different friend for her copy (it had to be someone else because the first guy played this game constantly).

I was initially bored by it. I was not into reading so much back then, so it was difficult. It took me a couple months to give it another try. I picked up where I left off and realized I had not been playing the game correctly. I restarted the campaign and leveled each of my party members. By the boss fight, I was so into it. I thought my head would explode from the awesomeness. I don't want to share any more to ruin anything, but after a twist I thought the game was almost done. Then it said incert disc 2. I swear my lif shattered at that moment. It had been a year since I had "borrowed" this game. I asked the girl who lent it to me was pissed off and didn't let me get the other discs.

Till this day, I still have not played the rest of the game after disc one. Today, a version went up on steam and I think it's time for me to pick up where I left off.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#1 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19382 Posts

@ohaifrancy said:

I was initially bored by it. I was not into reading so much back then, so it was difficult. It took me a couple months to give it another try. I picked up where I left off and realized I had not been playing the game correctly. I restarted the campaign and leveled each of my party members. By the boss fight, I was so into it. I thought my head would explode from the awesomeness. I don't want to share any more to ruin anything, but after a twist I thought the game was almost done. Then it said incert disc 2. I swear my lif shattered at that moment. It had been a year since I had "borrowed" this game. I asked the girl who lent it to me was pissed off and didn't let me get the other discs.

I remember borrowing Shenmue from a friend... and never returning it.

Luckily, he sold his Dreamcast not long after, and didn't want it back anymore.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Final Fantasy VIII is one of my all-time favorite games. I originally got it exactly ten days after its release in North America and one day after my birthday. Minutes before I got there, it changed in price from $49.99 to $54.99. I got it anyway. The story was relatable to me because I was in grade school at the time and the main character was, too. The cinematics, the story, and the characters were all intriguing to me. My experience with that game was a great one. I played it for many hours going to every location, finding all the Guardian Forces, and cards. The weapon customizations and finding all of the Combat King issues were rewarding. You can level up however you choose and the enemies will scale with you.

I could go further, but it might be better just to let newcomers to this game experience it for themselves. To everyone getting this game now: If you can, get the strategy guide. It is a great help during side quests.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

I broke that game horribly. I had Squall at level 88 before I left disc one, and would regularly go farming for the item that allowed you to be in limit break without being low on health, and just Renzokuken'd my way through everyone. (later you could find a spell that had the same effect) I liked Squall because while he was a hero, he was also a loner and a asshole, and I could relate to that. But the game has two of my most hated characters of any FF game, Irvine and Selphie.

Especially Irvine. He is my least favorite "character with a gun" from any FF, and I firmly believed they were all terrible until Balthier swept me off my feet. I only barely tolerated Zell, actually, so may three of my least favorite...

I loved Quistis, she had a hot naughty school teacher thing going on with the whip. :)

ohaifrancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By ohaifrancy
Member since 2013 • 126 Posts

@Jag85: Hahaha you got lucky! My friend was so pissed. lol

@BranKetra: Even though I didn't finish I loved how the story and characters built up. I cant wait to finish it!

@Randolph: I agree with you about Quistis. She was given some inappropriate vibes lol

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#5 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19382 Posts

@ohaifrancy said:

@Jag85: Hahaha you got lucky! My friend was so pissed. lol

Hmmm... Was she maybe pissed off because she couldn't continue the game because of you?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I played that game I think to the end of disc 3. The random encounters and the plot bored me, and since I wanted to be done with it as fast as possible I always had the "zero encounters" ability on which I got from teh satanz. I got to a point where I had to fight a witch who steals Rinoa from you and I was underleveled. fact is, the monsters in that area only gave 1XP so I couldn't level up and I also couldn't leave. I only had one save because my memory card was full, so I was screwed.

I hated that game ever since, I fired my dog at it from my wrist.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

While it has its issues (mostly the drawing/GF/junction systems), I love FF8. I think the art design is exotic and beautiful (it probably has the most unique-looking world I've ever seen in an RPG), the story has lots of interesting ideas, there are some brilliant set-pieces (like the assassination mission on the first disc, the train bit, the Galbadia Garden invasion, etc.), and it has the second best soundtrack in the series (after FFX).

Squall is such a tool tho.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GreySeal9

@Black_Knight_00 said:

I played that game I think to the end of disc 3. The random encounters and the plot bored me, and since I wanted to be done with it as fast as possible I always had the "zero encounters" ability on which I got from teh satanz. I got to a point where I had to fight a witch who steals Rinoa from you and I was underleveled. fact is, the monsters in that area only gave 1XP so I couldn't level up and I also couldn't leave. I only had one save because my memory card was full, so I was screwed.

That part fucks a lot of people over. Situations like that are the best argument for making multiple save files.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

It's my second favourite Final Fantasy game with FFX being my first. I played the hell out of that game, totally loved the card mini-game in it. Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way about Quistis. :P

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@GreySeal9 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

That part fucks a lot of people over. Situations like that are the best argument for making multiple save files.

Yes, that was my cue to buy more memory cards. Today, thanks to hard drives, in any RPG I always, always have at least 3 files: one in a safe area (like a town), one right outside the dungeon I have to enter, and one or two inside the dungeon. FFVIII has burned me into paranoia lol

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
@ohaifrancy said:

@BranKetra: Even though I didn't finish I loved how the story and characters built up. I cant wait to finish it!

I am sure you will like it.

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Almost all the enemies in FFVIII level up as you do. If you were having trouble with them, it is because you did not set up your junctions well enough.

pcty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 pcty
Member since 2008 • 367 Posts

@ohaifrancy: Why there is Final Fantasy XIII image in a post about Final Fantasy VIII? Mistook VIII(08) for XIII(13) ?

Dynamicnadz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Dynamicnadz
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Final Fantasy VIII! Oh good times!

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Black_Knight_00

@BranKetra said:

Almost all the enemies in FFVIII level up as you do. If you were having trouble with them, it is because you did not set up your junctions well enough.

I wasn't having problems, I was sick of the overly high encounter rate.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

@Randolph said:

I broke that game horribly. I had Squall at level 88 before I left disc one, and would regularly go farming for the item that allowed you to be in limit break without being low on health, and just Renzokuken'd my way through everyone. (later you could find a spell that had the same effect) I liked Squall because while he was a hero, he was also a loner and a asshole, and I could relate to that. But the game has two of my most hated characters of any FF game, Irvine and Selphie.

Especially Irvine. He is my least favorite "character with a gun" from any FF, and I firmly believed they were all terrible until Balthier swept me off my feet. I only barely tolerated Zell, actually, so may three of my least favorite...

I loved Quistis, she had a hot naughty school teacher thing going on with the whip. :)

It's one of the two worst Final Fantasy games in history. I never had to use the junction system to reach Ultimecia and her fortress and I still kicked her ass. That's how broken and bad the game turned out to be!

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GreySeal9

@Metamania said:

@Randolph said:

It's one of the two worst Final Fantasy games in history. I never had to use the junction system to reach Ultimecia and her fortress and I still kicked her ass. That's how broken and bad the game turned out to be!

Not sure I believe that.

Not to say that it's impossible to beat Ultimecia without junctioning, but I have my doubts that you kicked her ass.