How hype can make or kill a games reputation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I have been pondering about this subject for a very long time, but recently it made me wonder even more. Destiny and Shadow of Mordor have been the complete opposite when it comes to hype. Shadow of Mordor has reilied on the word of mouth and just showing off the game rather than big TV commercials that Destiny has had.

Destiny has been in the spotlight since Sony revealed the PS4. Everyone knew that this was Bungie teaming up with Activision. It was going to be a big game in the industry. Shadow of Mordor had more of a discreet reveal where they released videos online and had the big reveal on E3.

Because Destiny has been on everyone's mind, people might have thought that it was something different than it was. People played the alpha and the beta knew what kind of game they were playing and were surprised when it was the same when it was released? All the reviews, in my humble opinion seem not to get what the game really is. MMO's get away with mundane tasks when you are level up and give you a deeper experience when you are done leveling.

People are acting like this is the exact same game as Halo, instead of for taking it what it is. That's what people have done more so with Shadow of Mordor. It's a great game so far from what i have played, and it deserves the recognition. But would it have gotten the praise if it had the same hype as Destiny. I personally don't think so.

Hype can kill of a game when it comes to enjoying a game and these are just two examples that i think got a different treatment just because of it. I don't know if i am just rambling on, but i think that some games are just getting an unfair treatment because of expectations that make the game to something that it isn't

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Hype doesn't kill Games

People kill games !

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#3 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

It definitely affects games. Hype is an extremely difficult force to contain. Once it gets out of control, people will have already formed their opinions about the game, even if you tell them something completely different. This is what happened with Destiny. Even after it was explained many times that it was an MMO with RPG elements, people were still expecting the next Halo. Bungie's reputation simply preceded them.

With Shadow of Modor, I didn't even feel compelled to buy the game until it actually released. It looked like just another Assassin's Creed knock off, which is why it never clung to my radar until the positive word of mouth began pouring out.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_Last_Ride

@JustPlainLucas said:

It definitely affects games. Hype is an extremely difficult force to contain. Once it gets out of control, people will have already formed their opinions about the game, even if you tell them something completely different. This is what happened with Destiny. Even after it was explained many times that it was an MMO with RPG elements, people were still expecting the next Halo. Bungie's reputation simply preceded them.

With Shadow of Modor, I didn't even feel compelled to buy the game until it actually released. It looked like just another Assassin's Creed knock off, which is why it never clung to my radar until the positive word of mouth began pouring out.

I totally agree, but do you think it would have been the same if it were the other way around? I don't think so

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#5 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: Hype colors peoples' opinions of games, so yeah, there's a direct relationship there. And gamers can save games as well. Take a look at some of the older cult games that barely got any sales despite good reviews when they were first released, and are now becoming popular due to gamers talking about it in a positive light (think games like The Legend of Dragoon, Psychonauts, Ico, Okami, Beyond Good & Evil)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Yeah but my post is shorter and cooler ! :) (its also the least helpfull, but don't tell anybody that).

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#7 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

I totally agree, but do you think it would have been the same if it were the other way around? I don't think so

Oh, I'm sure. Let's go back in time and have Bungie change their name to something else. The game would have been receive much better than it is now.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: oh no I'd never tell. Only cuz you did it yourself

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Its my understanding that Brackets makes words turn invisible.... :D

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: nope. Not at all.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Damn It ! That Witch lied to me !

Well thats 50 bucks (The exact dollar value of my soul) down the crapper... :(

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@JustPlainLucas said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

Oh, I'm sure. Let's go back in time and have Bungie change their name to something else. The game would have been receive much better than it is now.

i would agree to that. But it is what it is. There are other games i would make the same argument about, but the fact that even proffesionals let it take over their proffesionalism is stunning to say the least

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#13 watchdogsrules
Member since 2014 • 551 Posts

dude, you're totally right. hype murdered Destiny. (no sarcasm)

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Last_Ride

@watchdogsrules said:

dude, you're totally right. hype murdered Destiny. (no sarcasm)

To think that proffesionals thought that it was a game that based everything on the singleplayer, which it doesn't.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#15 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

That's why we have to be smart consumers and not allow ourselves to get caught up in brainwash advertising!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@MarcRecon said:

That's why we have to be smart consumers and not allow ourselves to get caught up in brainwash advertising!

i agree, but i personally think that Destiny is an excellent game. It's just that hype can destroy a game before it's even out. There is also the other side where games are crap yet people buy them like COD or Madden

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu

@The_Last_Ride

or we can just make our own games. :)

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

When you "Hype" a game, never EVER expect it's gonna be a 10/10 would bang of a game cause if your expectations are high or something absurd and it falls under your expectations guess who's fault it is (answer is: yours).

We're at a day in age that we can see gameplay, trailers, streams and the such, so you should have a grasp on what you're getting into/buying when you follow/hype a game. When I hype a game it's cause I want to play it, I want to grab it with my greedy hands, stick into my console or dl in on my PC and just go to town and immerse myself into the game.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

It really depends on who is hyping a game.

For example, when Miyamoto-san finishes Legend of Zelda Wii U, Iwata-san might hype it as a revolutionary game for the Zelda franchise. That is very different than someone a forum or a game journalist pronouncing it to a revolutionary game because who is announcing it makes the message seem different. The maker, the leader of the maker, and the consumer advocate of the company ran by the leader along with the game maker; and the consumer of the game all are in different positions with different goals.

The maker seeks to make a quality game which satisfies his creative ambition and sells. The leader of the maker seeks to make sure his company flourishes, so though he seeks the same as the maker, he is more about the success of his business than of the maker's creative ambition (Though it is a company known for its creativity, it is a business company at its core). The consumer advocate seeks to insure the integrity of a game, maker, and leader. The consumer seeks an enjoyable product and buys what he or she approves of for whatever reason they so choose. When any one of them says that game is revolutionary, the perspective of the speaker is pondered with credence for their previous titles, overall company image; and journalistic integrity; and personal critiques; respectively.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#20 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

It's a tricky business. You want as much exposure for a game as possible, but that leads to heightened expectation that sometimes can't be met.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_Last_Ride

@BranKetra: I can understand that a company does hype a game, that's their job. But when i see journalists talk about it nonstop on previews and news articles combined with why they are telling you to buy the game is stupid. Then go around telling you they shouldn't buy the game because it's mediocre...

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MarcRecon

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

i agree, but i personally think that Destiny is an excellent game. It's just that hype can destroy a game before it's even out. There is also the other side where games are crap yet people buy them like COD or Madden

Agreed and those are 2 perfect examples! :)

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MarcRecon

@The_Last_Ride said:

@BranKetra: I can understand that a company does hype a game, that's their job. But when i see journalists talk about it nonstop on previews and news articles combined with why they are telling you to buy the game is stupid. Then go around telling you they shouldn't buy the game because it's mediocre...

At one time we could rely on gaming journalist, but now with most of the media being corporate sponsored, you can only take what they say with a grain of salt.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24 I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

It depends on the way it is hyped.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 The_Last_Ride

@MarcRecon said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

Agreed and those are 2 perfect examples! :)

I feel that all of the sites have been hypcrites for both Watch Dogs and Destiny. They aren't GOTY material, but they are great games. They have all given us previews, gameplay, interviews, etc all telling us to buy it. And when the game comes out they suddenly turn around and say don't buy it. I just don't get it. I get that the sites want clicks and release content given to them. But you can also be critical by actually doing some investigative reporting instead of just giving your view when the game is already out

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MarcRecon

@jimmy_russell said:

@MarcRecon said:

That's basically what I was saying, but I wasted a whole paragraph explaining it in layman's terms.

Dude, you expressed yourself, that's NEVER a waste. I gave the short version and you gave the extended version!! People process information differently, some people might need a more detailed example of what was said!! It's a WIN WIN bro! lol

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

The problem with Hype is that it creates false expectations, which in most cases created by the consumer themselves and that were never intended or part of the original developers, so, can it kill a game ? kill, not per se, but once part of the consumers have tried it and find it falls short of their expectations the word spreads that it´s not this or that.

For example, GOW Judgement, a lot of people think the game is not good ( I´ve even read comments saying it´s "terrible" ), every single follower of the franchise was so eager for a new GOW after the success of GOW3 that imediately assumed when the word was out that a new GOW was in progress that it was going to be something out of this world ( hype ), I got it too, in my opinion the game is as good as the previous games and it has many elements that makes it even better than GOW1 and 2.

Destiny ? a good example of hype too. I got it, haven´t played it yet ( yes believe it or not I haven´t touched it yet ) but my son has played it and I´ve been watching him as he plays, I think the game looks beautifully made, interesting scenery, cool weapons, something like mixture of Bordelands and COD, the kind of game I could play for years to come, my only beef is that part that you have to be online to play it, that was the dissapointment.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The_Last_Ride

@raugutcon: unfortunately that is the case here and people should rather stick to the facts of what the game actually is and not expect something else.

It is online because it's like an mmo. That's why it has DRM

Avatar image for empiresdownfall
EmpiresDownfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 EmpiresDownfall
Member since 2013 • 63 Posts

I was hyping both Shadow of Mordor AND Destiny. Love Shadow, didnt really care for Destiny.

I dont think it was so much the hype, it was what the developers say about the game versus what they actually delivered.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 The_Last_Ride

@empiresdownfall said:

I was hyping both Shadow of Mordor AND Destiny. Love Shadow, didnt really care for Destiny.

I dont think it was so much the hype, it was what the developers say about the game versus what they actually delivered.

They didn't undedeliver. People played the alpha and the beta. They knew what they were getting...