How does p2p work differently than dedicated servers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IronBeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IronBeaver
Member since 2009 • 1986 Posts

I know dedis are better and more reliable, but I don't really understand the system. thanks.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17640 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, P2P is exactly that....two players connected directly. They do not connect through an intermediary and then are connected that way. I'm not really a tech head so I'm more than likely wrong. Just my guess.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

Usually, dedicated servers are only meant to do a specific process (EX: hosting games, etc). With P2P, the host could be doing other things that would slow down the connection/server.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

P2P is peer to peer. If I remember correctly it is where all system worker together to form the game. The down side is that it bypasses a number of security measure that a server gives.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

I know dedis are better and more reliable, but I don't really understand the system. thanks.

IronBeaver

As it relates to gaming, P2P is where you are connected directly to another player's device. The P2P devices manage the data exchange between them directly. P2P should be adequate for two to a few players in a co-op game, for example. For a large number of players, as in multiplayer games, a server with sufficient horsepower and bandwidth would be necessary to manage all of the data for effective gameplay. In the case of Xbox Live or the Playstation Network, the game server is actually a large network of co-located servers.