How does Final Fantasy V compare to the rest?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

Topic. I might buy it off of Amazon soon. I was wondering how it ocmpares to other games in the series? I've heard the job system is great, but I haven't really found anything about how it works. Thanks in advance.

#2 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

Final Fantasy V is one of my favorite games bearing the FF title. While coming up short in just about every department except gameplay, the gameplay itself is so good and customizable that you'll tend to ignore whatever else is happening in order to level up your precious jobs.

As you progress through the game, meaning after every story related boss fight during certain sections of the game (trying to remain vague) you will be rewarded with several jobs that specialize in a different form of combat or support. As you level up, you will be able to take certain key skills from that job (and any other jobs your character would master) and equip them on the most flexible class of all, the starting class Freelancer. This allows you to specialize your characters into certain roles while also allowing each and every one to be a super badass if you so wish it. The possibilities are vast. Do note that some jobs are limited in equipment and some are noticeably stronger than others, yet each one has that one certain element to it that makes it so unique as to make that job a worthy addition to your party's repetoire.

Really the job system is what makes this game so fun for me. The story and characters are for the most part... well meh. But the main villian in this game does look pretty badass so I give it points for that.

The big question, how does it compare to other titles? Well no game in the series comes close to the combat. The variety of things to do in this game in battle is its biggest draw, sorry for being redundant but I cannot stress it enough, if you do not like the battle system you will not like the game for anything else.

You play FF V for one reason, to tackle huge monsters with your own carefully picked cultivated party of murder, and to have a lot of fun doing it. The story is nothing special and serves its purpose as to progress you through the game to kill even more things and become even stronger. The characters are pretty dumb and their only purpose is to stand there in the menus while you assign them jobs and then tell them who to slaughter.

That's my take on it.

#3 Posted by tab134 (340 posts) -
It's the weakest of the 16-bit final fantasies. That said I liked it more than 1-3, or anything past 9.
#4 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -
class system is great story and characters are pretty generic
#5 Posted by fierro316 (1669 posts) -

Story is meh and it's easy to lose track on what you should do next.
Gameplay wise is probably in the top 3 final fantasies.Loved the job system and
combat is quite challenging.

I have the Gameboy Advance version and it feels like it was designed for portables. So good.

#6 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -
The most underrated game in the series. Gameplay is excellent, Story is pretty standard but not bad and the music is arguably the best in the series. People tend to over look it being stuck in between both FFIV and FFVI which are also great IMO.
#7 Posted by RossRichard (2330 posts) -

Class system is great, story is very forgettable with some very cheesy wince-inducing dialog. IMO the weakest of the SNES Final Fantasies. Except for Mystic Quest, of course.

#8 Posted by Business_Fun (2281 posts) -

It's great fun. As others have pointed out its story is pretty weak and it has to my mind the weakest main series FF villain ("Mwa hah hah!" - really?), but the job system is excellent and there's some great music in there (Home, Sweet Home is one of my favourites FF tracks).

#9 Posted by Metamania (11964 posts) -

Final Fantasy V was the first FF to introduce a class system like that, which was a nice plus. The story isn't as its best, but it does have its moments and the gameplay can get very challenging. It's definitely one of the better FF titles in its history and I think you should check it out when you can.

#10 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

Final Fantasy V was the first FF to introduce a class system like that, which was a nice plus. The story isn't as its best, but it does have its moments and the gameplay can get very challenging. It's definitely one of the better FF titles in its history and I think you should check it out when you can.

Metamania

I think 3 did it first

#11 Posted by nekrothing (387 posts) -

Better than Final Fantasy I-III, but worse than Final Fantasy IV and VI-XIII. Good gameplay, mediocre story and characters.

If you decide to play through the game, I would recommend watching Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals afterwards. It's an old school (released in 1994) OVA sequel series that's actually pretty decent, taking place 200 years after the events of Final Fantasy V.

#12 Posted by MAILER_DAEMON (45906 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

rilpas

I think 3 did it first

It was, then V took it further and let you permanently learn abilities that you could use with other classes, letting you do things like make a White Mage that can wear heavy armor or a Ninja that can cast blue magic. Final Fantasy Tactics was the next game that used the FF Job system like that.
#13 Posted by spike6958 (4676 posts) -
It's probably the most forgettable of the Final Fantasy games, while decent in it's own right, the story doesn't stand out much, aside from it been one of the sillier in the series, and none of the characters are memorable, which is something even the worst Final Fantasy can still give you, I could never forget Tidus, Balthier or Lightning, regardless of how bad there games where. It's job system is easily one of the best in the series, and worth a playthrough just for that, just don't expect to get connected to the characters like you could in IV, VI, VII or IX.