How Do I Equip the Bow in Legend of Zelda for NES

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ColdP1zza (2437 posts) -

I'm playing the first Zelda game for NES and I just got the bow, how do I equip it? The bombs, when I got them automatically equiped. When I go to the start menu I can see the bow, but I can't move my cursor.

#2 Posted by Eleckidding (262 posts) -
What are you playing it on? For the nes/virtual console I think you press select for the menu and then click on the bow. For an emulator you need to check the configuration of the controls.
#3 Posted by MUSH_IS_PWNs (1213 posts) -
You need to get arrows first then you can scrolls over and choose the bow. The ammo then becomes rupees.
#4 Posted by MAILER_DAEMON (45906 posts) -
Go buy the arrow from a merchant.
#5 Posted by ColdP1zza (2437 posts) -

Go buy the arrow from a merchant.MAILER_DAEMON

Oh okay. I beat the first dungeon, but now I found out I can go to any dungeon at any time. But the problem is, I'm pretty sure I need items from level 2,3,4 before I can do dungeon 5. Is there some sort of pattern/hint or way of knowing which dungeon your supposed to do next?

#6 Posted by BenderUnit22 (9591 posts) -

The original game's manual came with a handy map and some hints. Nowadays, you have to check the internet. Here's a map of the entire world, but be warned, all the secret areas are revealed on it. If you'd rather explore the world yourself, it's kinda ruining the surprise.

#7 Posted by MAILER_DAEMON (45906 posts) -
Honestly, the level order, aside from 9, is just a suggested order... though yes, you need items from certain dungeons in order to go on... the bow will be necessary to beat a boss in a later dungeon, for example. There's no hint or anything though.
#8 Posted by Allicrombie (25080 posts) -
Zelda rocked.
#9 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]Go buy the arrow from a merchant.ColdP1zza

Oh okay. I beat the first dungeon, but now I found out I can go to any dungeon at any time. But the problem is, I'm pretty sure I need items from level 2,3,4 before I can do dungeon 5. Is there some sort of pattern/hint or way of knowing which dungeon your supposed to do next?

Yeah, following the number order is a pretty good method.
#10 Posted by ColdP1zza (2437 posts) -

[QUOTE="ColdP1zza"]

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]Go buy the arrow from a merchant.Emerald_Warrior

Yeah, following the number order is a pretty good method.

I know that, but I was wondering if there was a way to know which dungeon to do when, without having to consult a guide, but I guess not. I'm really not feeling this game, I'm going to skip ahead to the SNES where the truly great Zelda games are IMO. Maybe I'll come back to this game later.