How did you start gaming?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (35178 posts) -

My parents got my oldest brother an SNES. I eventualluy got my hands on the controller when I was probably 4-5 years old and played some games and got into it. There was still a functioning NES around the house too so I'd play that as well.

pretty standard stuff.

#2 Posted by milesxx92 (25 posts) -
topic says it all. I'll start. I started with a gameboy and pokemon red :)
#3 Posted by muffin200 (733 posts) -

My dad got a ZX spectrum for the family back in 1983 odd when i was about 10 .

horace goes skiing is forever a golden moment.

#4 Posted by jcopp72 (5367 posts) -
I started gamming on the NES when I was like 6 or 7
#5 Posted by milesxx92 (25 posts) -

My dad got a ZX spectrum for the family back in 1983 odd when i was about 10 .

horace goes skiing is forever a golden moment.

muffin200
I've never heard of that before what kind of games did it have?
#6 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1390 posts) -

Played stuff like Killer Instinct and Ninja Turtles on my cousin's Super Nintendo when I was about 3 or 4. I got my own PS1 with Spyro the Dragon and some Rugrats games later. It took off from there.

#7 Posted by JackBurton (3802 posts) -

Mattel Intellivision .

#8 Posted by wiouds (6116 posts) -

I had some problems with my eyes and the doctor said I could play some games to help with that.

#9 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (20906 posts) -

Arcades. The first console game I saw was Pong. I thought it was boring as hell. Nothing beat the arcades then.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
#10 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

My parents got my family an NES when I was about 1 or 2 because that was after the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt bundle; My Parents played it but I started watching my family play it and when I was 2 I started trying to play those games.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
#11 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

With a quarter.

#12 Posted by Lulekani (2318 posts) -
Same way I discovered "Adult Entertainment" by a chain of remarkable events that were totaly not my fault.
#13 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
My father was a gamer, so I got started on his Magnavox Odyssey back in the late 70's when I was 2 or 3. Don't remember what game it was. I've been an avid gamer ever since.
#14 Posted by Gallowhand (480 posts) -

In the arcades, probably back in the very early 1980s.  Space Invaders, Pac-Man, all of those.  My first encounter with 'computer' games was in college during the mid 1980s.

#15 Posted by immortality20 (8535 posts) -

Long as I can remember I played games. I think my first was on the Commodore 64, something like Golf or Montezuma's Revenge. I think at 3 or 4 my brother and I got a NES and played Mario dozens of times.

#16 Posted by ShaineTheNerd (1578 posts) -
My uncle got me started on the NES and, if I remember right, the Sega Genesis. I was three when I first started playing. I played with him MK Sonic, Ninja Gaiden and Super Mario Bros., and my mom had me playing a medley of games -- Contra, Super Mario Bros., a basketball game, a bunch of differ t games I got for Christmas, WCW or WWE, I can't remember but it was wrestling, and a few more. Now I'm 21 and games remain my main priority, after my girlfriend of course.
#17 Posted by thom_maytees (3669 posts) -

I was seven years old when I start gaming when I played on the Atari 2600 at a family friend's house in the early 1980s. It was not until Chirstmas 1983 (around the time of the video game crash), that my father bought me a Atari 2600 to play at home, my first home console that I owned.

#18 Posted by JML897 (33134 posts) -
I started gaming by playing my grandparents' Colecovision Then I got a Sega Genesis after that and it blew my mind
#19 Posted by Solid_Link22 (5694 posts) -

parents bought me an NES

#20 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5211 posts) -

I first started gaming back in 1991 on my cousin's Genesis; I was addicted to Sonic and Hard Drivin(funny, considering how awful that game is). I got my first console, a Genesis, back in 1992 for my 5th birthday and was obsessed with it. 

#21 Posted by Lucianu (10131 posts) -

I got into gaming (PC gaming specifically) in 2006, wen i laid hands on Max Payne 2, and played it to completion. I was never a gamer before that.

In 2008, i started collecting consoles, to catch on everything i missed. SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1/PS2, etc., eventually i also owned a PS3/360. I became a huge SEGA fan.

In recent times, i sold everything. Currently i have a decent desktop PC which i use as a Home Theatre from time to time, a SEGA Saturn and a original Xbox. Probably will get a 3DS sooner or later aswell.

#22 Posted by johnd13 (8844 posts) -

When I was 7 and my family bought a computer for the first time.

#23 Posted by Jackc8 (8515 posts) -

Went to the video arcade, which was THE place to hang out in the easly '80s, and got hooked on Defender.  Just a few more quarters and I know I can finally make it to the next level!

#24 Posted by coasterguy65 (7133 posts) -

My parents received a Magnavox Odyssey when they bought a TV when I was really young. I used to play it quite often. However, the gaming bug really hit me when my parents bought me the Sears version of the Atari 2600 for my High School graduation. I pulled a three day and night, no sleep game-fest.

#25 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
father introduced me to doom on snes
Avatar image for MasterTankallex
#26 Posted by MasterTankallex (115 posts) -

I played Super Mario Brothers for the NES at my uncles house. I was 4, my parents bought me one about a week later.

#27 Posted by Spartan_N7 (581 posts) -
Nintendo 64. Either Rayman or Super Mario 64. Cant remember exactly. First time I played a game all day though was PS2 and Vice City, ha.
#28 Posted by koospetoors (3548 posts) -

When I was a little tyke my father would actually take me to a few of the LAN parties he'd regularly join in on (had the pleasure of getting owned non-stop in good old CStrike 1.5 back then). Gaming just kinda sticked with me from there on out.

#29 Posted by Cyberdot (3928 posts) -

This.

sega-megadrive-2-pal-50-60hz-94-p.jpg

Then I got hooked to the hobby.

#30 Posted by TalesOfRandoms (25 posts) -
Parents owned several Arcade machines. I started playing Mario Bros in NES and some other games on the Atari (which I still have!) when I was 3-4 years old.
#31 Posted by Flubbbs (4630 posts) -

atari 7800.. i was probally like 3 years old... i remember playing Choplifter, Pole Position II, and Frogger alot

#32 Posted by Pedro (25399 posts) -

COD was the first game I ever played. :|

#33 Posted by LordShockTitan (218 posts) -

When I got the PS2 for my birthday. Was hooked for years

#34 Posted by LusterCentauri (25 posts) -
I Started my gaming with PSone when. I was 6
Avatar image for PelicanRebelLdr
#35 Posted by PelicanRebelLdr (125 posts) -
My cousin gave me his NES once he upgraded to a SNES and it all started from there.
#36 Posted by Aspen706 (4560 posts) -
N64 I believe. Sonic the Hedgehog.
#37 Posted by Ballroompirate (25480 posts) -

Got a PS1 back in 1996, first game I actually owned was 

resident_evil1.jpg

I knew someone at the local Gameforce who was a family friend, he hooked me up with the game when I was 10 >.>

#38 Posted by lozengez (443 posts) -

Playing an anonymous arcade game in the back of a convenience store.  Older kids paid for my game and got a box for me to stand on so I could play it.  It was one of those one-screen games that was top-down racing (oil spots and the like).  I've been hooked every since.

#39 Posted by PrinceRhymz (96 posts) -
I was raised playing the original super mario brothers and later moved onto Sega Megadrive or "Genesis" depending where you are from. Gaming has been with me my whole life. and i'm 23 now.
#40 Posted by JML897 (33134 posts) -

My first video game was Vectorman for the genesis. ( I still play it to this day via emulators. ). Then came a game called Cyborg Justice. My first co-op fighting game. Then after that I got a SNES and played Megaman X games until thr PS1 came around where I then became hooked on Armored Core.Motokid6

Hah, I have Cyborg Justice. In retrospect that game was not good. At all. I actually played it a few weeks ago. It was clunky and hit detection wasn't very good (which is pretty f*cking important in a beat 'em up).

Vectorman of course is great.

#41 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

I truly got hooked when I was old enough to understand that you must go right and jump was a necessity, so about 3. Although I do picture myself gaming before that just hammering the controller on the floor and laughing uncontrollably as a baby till I tipped over and my mother had to sit me upright again.

But it all started on the original NES with Super Mario Bros and progressed quickly to Sega Genesis and SNES with games like...

Flicky
Streets Of Rage 1-3
VectorMan
Battletoads
Super Double Dragon
Altered Beast
ECCO The Dolphin
Sunset Riders
Batman Returns
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
WWF RAW
MEGA MAN
Super Mario Bros All Stars
Toe Jam & Earl
Legend Of Zelda A Link To The Past
Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Rock N Roll Racing
The Adventures Of Batman & Robin (if you haven't played this then shame on you)
Super Bomberman 2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles In Time
General Chaos (had to edit this in once I remembered it, freaking amazing game)
Bubsy 1 & 2 (had to edit these in as well, lots of fun)

These are the ones I remember most. But now I am 23, still gaming and still loving it.

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
#43 Posted by Smokescreened84 (2565 posts) -

The old Spectrum ZX and an educational game called Granny's Garden back in 1984/1985, it was a kind of logic game for children. It was very easy, at least for me since I was the only one in the school to ever complete it.

#44 Posted by MonoSilver (1392 posts) -
It was such a long time ago. My Dad had an Amstrad CPC 464 which he used for work I think and we had a few games for it. My obsession started there I'm sure.
#45 Posted by zombehhhhh (455 posts) -

First thing I got started with was a PSone forever ago.

#46 Posted by zeroyaoi (2341 posts) -
Fell in love with the Blue Bomber on NES and Never looked back.
#47 Posted by Kage1 (6789 posts) -

Intellivison in the late 70's

#48 Posted by hrah (1375 posts) -

wow this thread make me feel old, I started playing pong on a generic system I don't remember the name, back in 1977, I was 7 years old, the next year I got the atari 2600, I remember being the first on my block with one of those and all the kids came to play at my house. the rest is history.

I got most of the systems, and I seen technology moving forward since, every little thing, every little step in graphics, things kids from today would call irrelevant, but back in the day were impressive, and I love the arcades, that is why I love Mame, just running an arcade game that as a kid I never thought I would be playing at home Blows my Mind.

That's why i'ts kind of sad to see these spoiled kids of today whining about 5 or 6 frames, gotys, etc.... , I see more often kids unhappy with gaming.

I still like gaming, just don't game that often as before.

#49 Posted by CUDGEdave (2590 posts) -

Playing "Pong" on the Atari 2600...since then I was hooked on games....I'd be a millinonare if I had saved all that gaming money! ;)

#50 Posted by lamprey263 (33219 posts) -
my older brother got me into them, I think to make babysitting easier, started with his 5200 and then an NES