Honestly, which version is better?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wifout_teef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 wifout_teef
Member since 2006 • 1515 Posts

Move this topic if I posted in the wrong forum.

I am thinking of getting The Orange Box pretty soon. I don't know what system to get it on though. I'm either getting it on 360 or my PC. My PC can run Half Life 2 on the highest graphic so I'm sure it can run these games. I'm thinking I should get it on my PC since I want to be able to mod stuff and have a keyboard and mouse.

But what do you think is better?

greenpyro33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 greenpyro33
Member since 2007 • 3872 Posts
from experience, I can assure you that the pc version is superioi
Freshenizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Freshenizer
Member since 2004 • 381 Posts

Always better on the PC. Plus mods and what-not.

StealthRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 StealthRaiden
Member since 2007 • 185 Posts
I think you should get it on Xbox 360 because its more simple and nicer, PC games seem confusing to me using the keyboard and mouse.
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts
pc unless you have xbox live. if you do, get it on 360.
madterps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 madterps
Member since 2003 • 3152 Posts

pc unless you have xbox live. if you do, get it on 360.Xeros606

Even with XBL, it's still better on the PC. More mods and better graphics, how can you not prefer the PC over the X-Box version?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
I'm sure you can't go wrong with either version. They're both great. Just depends on what version that most of your friends play.
W3dotCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 W3dotCOM
Member since 2005 • 1942 Posts
360 for Points, PC for mods. I prefer console games, but I'm always jelous of the PC mods.
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xeros606

[QUOTE="Xeros606"]pc unless you have xbox live. if you do, get it on 360.madterps

Even with XBL, it's still better on the PC. More mods and better graphics, how can you not prefer the PC over the X-Box version?

ease of use, thats why. he said he can max out hl2 so im assuming he already has it so hes okay for sp mods. as for graphics, the video review said theyre more or less the same, pc is a bit better but not by much.

ferret837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 ferret837
Member since 2004 • 1942 Posts
PC for player made content for portals, and team fortress2. The mouse and key board are also much better than a controller. Plus the Pc version has all those stupid achievements just like XBL.
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

In your case, PC definitely!

At it's highest settings the PC version looks better then the 360 version, the loading times on the PC version a shorter, and HL2 was designed for mouse and keyboard controls.

Most importantly though....the PC version is hands down the most futureproof version....both for official content and usermade content.

Lets talk about future official content, as in future maps actually developed by Valve.....

Consider this....TF2 only comes with six maps out of the box....Valve has already said they plan to release future maps for TF2 and Portal on Steam, which is a PC exclusive online distribution service.

Given that Valve cares FAR more about seeing growth in it's own Steam service on PC then it does about Live! on 360 or PS3's online service, there is a good chance Valve will release future official maps for TF2 on Steam first, or even exclusively on Steam for the PC version, most likely for Free.

And maps aren't the only future additional content that will most likely be released for the PC version on Steam.....Valve is well known for constantly providing constant updates to their games through Steam which enhance gameplay and performance...stuff like gameplay tweaks, characters skins, and the possibility of bots.....speaking of bots, if Valve doesn't officially release bots for TF2, you can bet the mod community will....either way, only the PC version will have it.

Which brings me to my other point about the future content HL2 will most likely see...as least the PC version that is....

All the mods, usermade maps, and usermade content will only be available for the PC version....I can bet you that the mod community will have a field day creating stuff for TF2 and for Portal, and you'll only be able to experience that future content with the PC version.

Basically, only the PC version offers the highest level of expandability and the full amount future content that the HL series is known for.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
The idea of custom maps for Portal should be enough to sell you on the PC version. Plus in this case the PC seems to be the lead platform, which is becoming a rarity these days.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

At it's highest settings the PC version looks better then the 360 version, the loading times on the PC version a shorter, and HL2 was designed for mouse and keyboard controls.

Most importantly though....the PC version is hands down the most futureproof version....both for official content and usermade content.

Lets talk about future official content, as in future maps actually developed by Valve.....

Consider this....TF2 only comes with six maps out of the box....Valve has already said they plan to release future maps for TF2 on Steam, which is a PC exclusive online distribution service.

Given that Valve cares more about seeing growth in it's own Steam service on PC then it does about Live! on 360 or PS3's online service, there is a good chance Valve will release future official maps for TF2 on Steam first, or even exclusively on Steam for the PC version, most likely for Free.

And maps isn't the only future additional content that will most likely be released for the PC version on Steam.....Valve is well known for constantly providing updates to their games through Steam which enhance gameplay and performance...stuff like gameplay tweaks, characters skins, and the possibility of bots.....speaking of bots, if Valve doesn't officially release bots for TF2, you can bet the mod community will....either way, only the PC version will have it.

Which brings me to my other point about the future content HL2 will most likely see...as least the PC version that is....

All the mods, usermade maps, and usermade content will only be available for the PC version....I can bet you that the mod community will have a field day creating stuff for TF2, and you'll only be able to experience that future content with the PC version.

Basically, only the PC version offers the highest level of expandability and the full amount future content that the HL series is known for.

Robnyc22

Listen to this guy people!

Sadly, I had to get the 360 version because my computer sucks at the moment. The 360 version may be pretty close in quality now, but down the line the PC will get soooo much free stuff.

KreepLX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 KreepLX
Member since 2004 • 313 Posts
If you have a nice home video/stereo combination, get the console version. I think it looks great but I have a pretty good setup. Performance will not really matter that much with this game but you do get the mods with the PC version.
KreepLX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 KreepLX
Member since 2004 • 313 Posts
Nice post. I love PC gaming but I just don't want to fork out the money anymore. I think I am going to stick with consoles because I can get more bang for my buck.

Consider this....TF2 only comes with six maps out of the box....Valve has already said they plan to release future maps for TF2 and Portal on Steam, which is a PC exclusive online distribution service.

Given that Valve cares FAR more about seeing growth in it's own Steam service on PC then it does about Live! on 360 or PS3's online service, there is a good chance Valve will release future official maps for TF2 on Steam first, or even exclusively on Steam for the PC version, most likely for Free.

And maps aren't the only future additional content that will most likely be released for the PC version on Steam.....Valve is well known for constantly providing constant updates to their games through Steam which enhance gameplay and performance...stuff like gameplay tweaks, characters skins, and the possibility of bots.....speaking of bots, if Valve doesn't officially release bots for TF2, you can bet the mod community will....either way, only the PC version will have it.

All the mods, usermade maps, and usermade content will only be available for the PC version....I can bet you that the mod community will have a field day creating stuff for TF2 and for Portal, and you'll only be able to experience that future content with the PC version.

Robnyc22
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

Nice post. I love PC gaming but I just don't want to fork out the money anymore. I think I am going to stick with consoles because I can get more bang for my buck.
KreepLX

Well, which platform provides more overall "bang for you buck" in terms of all games is debateable, and it's a neverending debate where each side has valid points and is determined more by each individual's circumstance and preferance.

However this thread isn't about which platform is better or the overall industry....it's about the Half Life 2: Orange Box package provides more for the money and is the better version.

And I can gaurantee you, when it comes to Half Life 2: Orange Box, the PC version hands down provides the most "bang for the buck"......it's cheaper, the PC version is gauranteed to recieve constant updates from Valve to enhance the package, and most of all the PC version is pretty much gauranteed to have a wealth of both official and usermade content for free that the console versions probably will never see.....and even IF, and that's a big if, Valve decided to release any official maps for the 360 version MS would see to it that it would most likely have an additional charge attached....haven't we already been down this road with Epic?

.....With the PC version pretty much being the one that will most likely be constantly enhanced, updated, and getting free official and usermade content definitely qualifies as more "bang for the buck" in my book.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Your PC can run HL2 on max graphics and you are asking us which one you should choose why? This is a no-brainer. PC version has Achievements, Mods, Steam community, Steam support, Steam updates, better graphics, cheaper price... and the list goes on. The only reason someone would get TOB on 360 is if their computer cannot run HL2... and the new optimisations that Valve has done with Portal, TF2 and EP2, anyone with a decent computer built within the past 5 years should be able to play it comparably to the 360 version.
fourier404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 fourier404
Member since 2006 • 515 Posts

I think you should get it on Xbox 360 because its more simple and nicer, PC games seem confusing to me using the keyboard and mouse.StealthRaiden

Are you serious?

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Xeros606

The idea of custom maps for Portal should be enough to sell you on the PC version. Plus in this case the PC seems to be the lead platform, which is becoming a rarity these days.Teufelhuhn

zomg i forgot about portal, pc all the way!

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

Well, which platform provides more overall "bang for you buck" in terms of all games is debateable, and it's a neverending debate where each side has valid points and is determined more by each individual's circumstance and preferance.

Robnyc22

Yes but the $10 price differential between console and PC releases certainly isn't debatable. :P
twopic58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 twopic58
Member since 2007 • 3710 Posts
PC for sure.