Hitman Absolution wins GameTrailer's MDGOTY

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by HipHopBeats (2892 posts) -
#2 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18403 posts) -
An opinion no one else shares
#3 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

Resident Evil 6 didn't take that award how?

#4 Posted by Zen_Light (1235 posts) -

It must be terrible to win against the list of bad games it beat out.

#5 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7410 posts) -

IndianaPwns39
Ninja Gaiden 3? Black Ops Declassified?
#6 Posted by Planeforger (15630 posts) -

Resident Evil 6 didn't take that award how?IndianaPwns39

Possibly because they really enjoyed the game and gave it an 8.8.

Last I checked, there were only a couple of notable sites that gave it terrible reviews.

#7 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18403 posts) -

Zen_Light
Of all the people I heard talking about it I never heard a single negative comment. Not one.
#8 Posted by Planeforger (15630 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zen_Light"]

Black_Knight_00

Of all the people I heard talking about it I never heard a single negative comment. Not one.

Ehh...it's definitely a weaker game than the previous few in the series, in my opinion.

They tried something different with the disguise and checkpoint systems, and both ended up being borderline broken/game-ruining...at least for people who aren't already fans of the series. Personally, I didn't mind the changes (they make no difference when you're going for the best scores), but I can see why they could frustrate the hell out of people.

Also, I really didn't like the plot. The game attempts to be more cinematic and plot-driven, but that leads to shorter, more linear missions, and the characters aren't likeable enough to justify that change.

Still...I really strongly disagree about it being 2012's most disappointing game. It's a bit flawed, but it's still a fine stealth game.

#9 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18403 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Zen_Light"]

Planeforger

Ehh...it's definitely a weaker game than the previous few in the series, in my opinion.

They tried something different with the disguise and checkpoint systems, and both ended up being borderline broken/game-ruining...at least for people who aren't already fans of the series. Personally, I didn't mind the changes (they make no difference when you're going for the best scores), but I can see why they could frustrate the hell out of people.

Also, I really didn't like the plot. The game attempts to be more cinematic and plot-driven, but that leads to shorter, more linear missions, and the characters aren't likeable enough to justify that change.

Still...I really strongly disagree about it being 2012's most disappointing game. It's a bit flawed, but it's still a fine stealth game.

I should have it by next week, fingers crossed.
#10 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

Hitman: Absolution is not only the best entry in the franchise it is one of the best games I've played this generation.

The hatred this game has garnered from some of the alleged fan base simply proves that some people just want the same goddamn experience repeated indefinitely.

#11 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
I'm a few hours into the game and its one of the strongest stealth games of this generation. It is more accessible and fun than previous entry's, has gorgeous graphics and slick game mechanics. The voice acting is strong and narrative is intriguing. I am quite impressed with it and did not expect it to be good. The levels are still open and have lots of ways to accomplish your goals. IGN is clueless. You want most disappointing how about RE6? A frankenstein monster of a game if ever there was one slugging along hitting home runs one level and foul balls the next. I don't know how I managed to use both baseball and frankenstein in the same analogy but there you go.
#12 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18403 posts) -
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]I'm a few hours into the game and its one of the strongest stealth games of this generation. It is more accessible and fun than previous entry's, has gorgeous graphics and slick game mechanics. The voice acting is strong and narrative is intriguing. I am quite impressed with it and did not expect it to be good. The levels are still open and have lots of ways to accomplish your goals. IGN is clueless. You want most disappointing how about RE6? A frankenstein monster of a game if ever there was one slugging along hitting home runs one level and foul balls the next. I don't know how I managed to use both baseball and frankenstein in the same analogy but there you go.

Awesome, I can't wait for the game to land in my mailbox. I'm really hyped up for it.
#13 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

Hitman Absolution is a fantastic title with only a few minor hiccups, nowhere near most dissapointing title of 2012.

Other than a flawed checkpoint system, inconsistent disguise mechanic and also the uncoordinated/dumb A.I in a combat situation, I think the game is executed incredibly well for the most part. At this point I still believe it to be the best game of the year. I have yet to play Far Cry 3 though, which is the only title I see being able to possibly nab that spot from Hitman.

#14 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

speedfreak48t5p

Ninja Gaiden 3? Black Ops Declassified?

Ninja Gaiden 3 maybe, but the previews and the whole "we want to make you feel what it's like to take a life" surrounding the release already suggested it was going to suck. Declassified looked terrible to begin with.

But RE6 had a huge team and massive development based on an already established and popular formula that they completely squandered.

#15 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

Hitman Absolution is a fantastic title with only a few minor hiccups, nowhere near most dissapointing title of 2012.

Other than a flawed checkpoint system, inconsistent disguise mechanic and also the uncoordinated/dumb A.I in a combat situation, I think the game is executed incredibly well for the most part. At this point I still believe it to be the best game of the year. I have yet to play Far Cry 3 though, which is the only title I see being able to possibly nab that spot from Hitman.

contracts420

Nah, actually FC3 is pretty overhyped. It looks good and playing it is fun, it's also not a bad game, but damn, after a while hunting animal number 10111010101 get's a bit boring and except from a range of side missions, which greatly all are the same (ok, you have about 50 car races, 50 shooting missions, 50 hunting missions etc etc) it get's a bit repetetive and boring. Plus inventory management in this game is broken as hell, even if you have all upgardes you're running to shops all the time, selling and buying stuff to empty your inventory AND your wallet.

I mean, which great fool thought it was a great idea to add realism by limiting the money you can carry and STILL put tons of chests to open on the island? o.O That completely breaks the free roam and exploration feeling. As well as the stupid checkpoint save system instead of a proper save everywhere feature.

Wow...ok...ehm, back to topic:

Hitman Absolution so far, have only played the first few passages unto the Train Station, but it's awesome and feels absolutely like a Hitman Game should feel. Yeah, they tried some new stuff, but so far it actually works fine and is interesting, also made the game a bit more challenging, and that's what Hitman ever since is / was about: Challenge. It's never unfair in doing so and if you're careful and now how to work as silent assassin the game will never dissapoint you.

And this comes from someone who played successfully and with much fun hours and hours in Hitman Contracts & Blood Money.

Only flaw I could name for me personally is that they replaced the planned Level Editor with that boring Contracts Mode. Have tried it once and meh, it doesn't work for me. Well, could be because I'm biased there and someone else could have his / her fun with it.

#16 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18403 posts) -

Nah, actually FC3 is pretty overhyped. It looks good and playing it is fun, it's also not a bad game, but damn, after a while hunting animal number 10111010101 get's a bit boring and except from a range of side missions, which greatly all are the same (ok, you have about 50 car races, 50 shooting missions, 50 hunting missions etc etc) it get's a bit repetetive and boring. Plus inventory management in this game is broken as hell, even if you have all upgardes you're running to shops all the time, selling and buying stuff to empty your inventory AND your wallet.

I mean, which great fool thought it was a great idea to add realism by limiting the money you can carry and STILL put tons of chests to open on the island? o.O That completely breaks the free roam and exploration feeling. As well as the stupid checkpoint save system instead of a proper save everywhere feature.
Justforvisit
Hunting animals is entirely optional, you're never forced to do it aside from the very first story mission, when it gets boring you can always do something else. Inventory is actually less annoying than, say, Skyrim, where you can't move if you're carring too much stuff; in FC3 there are automated stores every 5 steps where you can unload your stuff and get cash for it, though I agree about the wallet limitation, that was silly, I found myself chucking all my grenades in the sea so I could buy more and empty my full wallet.

The checkpoint system is actually too forgiving: it makes the game too easy. In FC2 on consoles you died and had to restart from your last save at a distant safehouse or the one available mid-mission checkpoint. It made the game tense and threatening, especially on the hardest difficulty, something that's entirely lost on PC with the quicksave function. I would have much prefered that unforgiving system over the "respawn 5 feet away" thing they did here.

Still GOTY hands down.

#17 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]Nah, actually FC3 is pretty overhyped. It looks good and playing it is fun, it's also not a bad game, but damn, after a while hunting animal number 10111010101 get's a bit boring and except from a range of side missions, which greatly all are the same (ok, you have about 50 car races, 50 shooting missions, 50 hunting missions etc etc) it get's a bit repetetive and boring. Plus inventory management in this game is broken as hell, even if you have all upgardes you're running to shops all the time, selling and buying stuff to empty your inventory AND your wallet.

Black_Knight_00
Hunting animals is entirely optional, you're never forced to do it aside from the very first story mission, when it gets boring you can always do something else. Inventory is actually less annoying than, say, Skyrim, where you can't move if you're carring too much stuff; in FC3 there are automated stores every 5 steps where you can unload your stuff and get cash for it, though I agree about the wallet limitation, that was silly, I found myself chucking all my grenades in the sea so I could buy more and empty my full wallet. The checkpoint system is actually too forgiving: it makes the game too easy. In FC2 you died and had to restart from your last save or the one available mid-mission checkpoint. It made the game tense and threatening, especially on the hardest difficulty. I would have much prefered that over the "respawn 5 feet away" thing they did here. Still GOTY hands down.

So, never go hunting and limit your inventory even more? ;S

#18 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18403 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Justforvisit"]Nah, actually FC3 is pretty overhyped. It looks good and playing it is fun, it's also not a bad game, but damn, after a while hunting animal number 10111010101 get's a bit boring and except from a range of side missions, which greatly all are the same (ok, you have about 50 car races, 50 shooting missions, 50 hunting missions etc etc) it get's a bit repetetive and boring. Plus inventory management in this game is broken as hell, even if you have all upgardes you're running to shops all the time, selling and buying stuff to empty your inventory AND your wallet.

Justforvisit

Hunting animals is entirely optional, you're never forced to do it aside from the very first story mission, when it gets boring you can always do something else. Inventory is actually less annoying than, say, Skyrim, where you can't move if you're carring too much stuff; in FC3 there are automated stores every 5 steps where you can unload your stuff and get cash for it, though I agree about the wallet limitation, that was silly, I found myself chucking all my grenades in the sea so I could buy more and empty my full wallet. The checkpoint system is actually too forgiving: it makes the game too easy. In FC2 you died and had to restart from your last save or the one available mid-mission checkpoint. It made the game tense and threatening, especially on the hardest difficulty. I would have much prefered that over the "respawn 5 feet away" thing they did here. Still GOTY hands down.

You could just hunt to get the big rucksacks and skip ammo pouches, and rockets, grenade and molotov satchels. That more than halves the amount of hunting. I thought it was fun to do, personally.
#19 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Hunting animals is entirely optional, you're never forced to do it aside from the very first story mission, when it gets boring you can always do something else. Inventory is actually less annoying than, say, Skyrim, where you can't move if you're carring too much stuff; in FC3 there are automated stores every 5 steps where you can unload your stuff and get cash for it, though I agree about the wallet limitation, that was silly, I found myself chucking all my grenades in the sea so I could buy more and empty my full wallet. The checkpoint system is actually too forgiving: it makes the game too easy. In FC2 you died and had to restart from your last save or the one available mid-mission checkpoint. It made the game tense and threatening, especially on the hardest difficulty. I would have much prefered that over the "respawn 5 feet away" thing they did here. Still GOTY hands down.Black_Knight_00

You could just hunt to get the big rucksacks and skip ammo pouches, and rockets, grenade and molotov satchels. That more than halves the amount of hunting. I thought it was fun to do, personally.

I tried playing like that for the first few hours until "Inventory Full" etc. flashed frequently every 20 seconds to overstate it a bit.

And well, at least Skyrim let's you gather your stuff together and some cool lore pieces like books with whole history backgrounds and backstories of a fantasy world.

For a game that openly activley was advertised by the Publishers as "Skyrim with Guns" they failed freaking hard there. It's a vast tropical island with guns which only similarites between Skyrim are open world. And let's not even start to talk about the qualities of the sidequests compared to Skyrim.

#20 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18403 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

Justforvisit

I tried playing like that for the first few hours until "Inventory Full" etc. flashed frequently every 20 seconds to overstate it a bit.

And well, at least Skyrim let's you gather your stuff together and some cool lore pieces like books with whole history backgrounds and backstories of a fantasy world.

For a game that openly activley was advertised by the Publishers as "Skyrim with Guns" they failed freaking hard there. It's a vast tropical island with guns which only similarites between Skyrim are open world. And let's not even start to talk about the qualities of the sidequests compared to Skyrim.

Aside from the fact that it was the press, not Ubisoft, to invent the Skyrim reference, I think that whoever expected FarCry 3 to be literally Skyrim with guns was a little off track. FarCry has always been first and foremost a multiple approach shooter, not an RPG, and demanding an RPG level of depth from a shooter is a little silly. It's the closest thing we have to a "Skyrim with guns" though, considering how the gunplay in Fallout is little more than a point & click interface.
#21 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18403 posts) -

F*ck, this game is awful: a runner-up for worst stealth game of all time. So much care has been put in the splendid graphics and presentation that they didn't notice the stealth mechanics are completely broken. Want an example? Wear a cook disguise and now evey cook in the world gets suspicious when they see you. Do all in the world cooks know each other so they can instantly realize you're just posing as a cook? Also, get too close to one of them and all cops in the word will shoot you on sight. This applies to all disguises, of course: wear a thug outfit with A HOCKEY MASK and all thugs will instantly spot you when you're in their line of sight. The only way to avoid this is touching your face which magically cancels all suspicion, but can only be done as long as you have a bar charged, after depleting it you can't touch your face anymore. Great. It's a completely unplayable mess. Add to this the fact that most actions from previous Hitman games are not longer available and you get the picture. Stay away from this piece of crap.

EDIT: The second act is a little better. It's the whole Chicago part that sucks terribly. What were they thinking?

#22 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7410 posts) -

F*ck, this game is awful: a runner-up for worst stealth game of all time. So much care has been put in the splendid graphics and presentation that they didn't notice the stealth mechanics are completely broken. Want an example? Wear a cook disguise and now evey cook in the world gets suspicious when they see you. Get too close to one of these cooks and all cops in the word will shoot you on sight. This applies to all disguises, of course: wear a thug outfit with A HOCKEY MASK and all thugs will instantly spot you when you're in their line of sight. The only way to avoid this is touching your face which magically cancels all suspicion, but can only be done as long as you have a bar charged, after depleting it you can't touch your face anymore. Great. It's a completely unplayable mess. Add to this the fact that most action from previous Hitman games are not longer available and you get the picture. Stay away from this piece of crap.

Black_Knight_00
Was never interested anyway.
#24 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71195 posts) -
that is a lie, Hitman is awesome and i liked it a lot. So for them to name it that is just stupid. They could taken any other game, that one did not dissapoint
#25 Posted by cdragon_88 (1174 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

F*ck, this game is awful: a runner-up for worst stealth game of all time. So much care has been put in the splendid graphics and presentation that they didn't notice the stealth mechanics are completely broken. Want an example? Wear a cook disguise and now evey cook in the world gets suspicious when they see you. Get too close to one of these cooks and all cops in the word will shoot you on sight. This applies to all disguises, of course: wear a thug outfit with A HOCKEY MASK and all thugs will instantly spot you when you're in their line of sight. The only way to avoid this is touching your face which magically cancels all suspicion, but can only be done as long as you have a bar charged, after depleting it you can't touch your face anymore. Great. It's a completely unplayable mess. Add to this the fact that most action from previous Hitman games are not longer available and you get the picture. Stay away from this piece of crap.

speedfreak48t5p

I work in a resturant. If a new cook popped out of nowhere, everyone and I mean everyone would notice that guy right away. He'll sticks out like a sore thumb. Same thing with the hockey mask thug--body proportions, stature, how you walk and react, so on and so forth--it's not really a big deal as old hitman fans make it out to be. It's easy to spot out different folks from the usual crowd. Hitman: Absolution only uses disguises as a small but effective way to maneuver in glimpse and realistic enough fraction IMO. I've never played the old Hitman games aside from the second one (which I've never beaten) but the only problem that would really be a real critiscm, from what I've heard, would be the enclosed levels instead of the larger open levels of what old Hitman games use to provide.

#26 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18403 posts) -

[QUOTE="speedfreak48t5p"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

cdragon_88

I work in a resturant. If a new cook popped out of nowhere, everyone and I mean everyone would notice that guy right away. He'll sticks out like a sore thumb. Same thing with the hockey mask thug--body proportions, stature, how you walk and react, so on and so forth--it's not really a big deal as old hitman fans make it out to be. It's easy to spot out different folks from the usual crowd. Hitman: Absolution only uses disguises as a small but effective way to maneuver in glimpse and realistic enough fraction IMO. I've never played the old Hitman games aside from the second one (which I've never beaten) but the only problem that would really be a real critiscm, from what I've heard, would be the enclosed levels instead of the larger open levels of what old Hitman games use to provide.

So if a waiter from another restaurat walks in front of the one you work at, do you instantly get suspicious and call the police to have him shot dead? Does that sound realistic to you? Cause that's what happens in this game.
#27 Posted by punkpunker (3321 posts) -

frankly i think halo 4 should get the award, it was a step down from reach content wise and they put the sprint button on left click like CoD/other Fps. And defenitly RE6 should get the award.

#28 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="cdragon_88"]

[QUOTE="speedfreak48t5p"] Was never interested anyway.Black_Knight_00

So if a waiter from another restaurat walks in front of the one you work at, do you instantly get suspicious and call the police to have him shot dead? Does that sound realistic to you? Cause that's what happens in this game.

The disguise system isn't perfect, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than being some muscular bald man in a random outfit that garners no attention despite looking entirely out of place, as was the case in the previous games.

The fact that you are essentially invisible to everyone but the people within your disguise grouping is logical, even if the mechanic is occasionally awkward.

Also , I've been face-to-face with plenty of cops in the game and I've never had them start shooting unprovoked.

Like I stated previously, people who want the exact same experience as previous games should play those games. Absolution represents the most significant evolution within this franchise to date and most of what was changed works beautifully.

#29 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

F*ck, this game is awful: a runner-up for worst stealth game of all time. So much care has been put in the splendid graphics and presentation that they didn't notice the stealth mechanics are completely broken. Want an example? Wear a cook disguise and now evey cook in the world gets suspicious when they see you. Do all in the world cooks know each other so they can instantly realize you're just posing as a cook? Also, get too close to one of them and all cops in the word will shoot you on sight. This applies to all disguises, of course: wear a thug outfit with A HOCKEY MASK and all thugs will instantly spot you when you're in their line of sight. The only way to avoid this is touching your face which magically cancels all suspicion, but can only be done as long as you have a bar charged, after depleting it you can't touch your face anymore. Great. It's a completely unplayable mess. Add to this the fact that most actions from previous Hitman games are not longer available and you get the picture. Stay away from this piece of crap.

EDIT: The second act is a little better. It's the whole Chicago part that sucks terribly. What were they thinking?

Black_Knight_00

Like Grammaton said, the mechanic while not perfect... does provide more challenge and is just as plausible as the system found in Blood Money. In Blood Money nobody realized who you were, putting a disguise on was essentially an instant win. A group working a secturity detail would not discover you as there own, a chef would not become suspicious of a new face in his kitchen. It's just as plausible that other waiters, chefs, security would notice you as an intruder than nobody noticing at all.

The system at times may seem broken, but it's there to provide the player with a sense of danger. The player cannot simply walk around freely. If the player utilizes the disguise effectively than they will be able to pass by. While there are gamey elements to it, the stealth genre has always featured some unrealistic gameplay conventions in order to deal with the problems of designing such a title. You may also want to keep in mind, if the disguise system was inconsistent than the player would be unaware of the changes, in turn causing confusion.

#30 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
I'm about halfway through right now and have no problems with the disguise system, it works well enough. This is by far leaps and bounds better than the other Hitman games and is incredibly fun and replayable. I think ragging on the disguise thing is making a big deal out of nothing.
#31 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18403 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="cdragon_88"]

Grammaton-Cleric

The disguise system isn't perfect, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than being some muscular bald man in a random outfit that garners no attention despite looking entirely out of place, as was the case in the previous games.

The fact that you are essentially invisible to everyone but the people within your disguise grouping is logical, even if the mechanic is occasionally awkward.

Also , I've been face-to-face with plenty of cops in the game and I've never had them start shooting unprovoked.

Like I stated previously, people who want the exact same experience as previous games should play those games. Absolution represents the most significant evolution within this franchise to date and most of what was changed works beautifully.

The game makes a point to tell you that all cops from several different Chicago precincts are looking for you, and yet every single one of them says the exact same thing if you wander into their field of view: "Haven't seen your face before, come here, let me look at you." like every policeman in a metropolis knows all the others. Ten seconds later everyone is shooting at you, meaning getting someone suspicious equals restarting the checkpoint. Dressed as a janitor? Start mopping the floor and no one will bother you, but leave the mop and guns will start to come out. Hitman Blood Money made more sense, since it took into account the fact that a huge casino or company HQ employs guards that keep seeing new faces and don't all know each other. Not here: you're supposed to believe that every guard is 100% familiar with every single one of his 100+ colleagues and is guanteed to spot an impostor, unless he's touching his face. In the courthouse level, policemen know the faces of all their colleagues but not those of civilian courthouse personnel who work in literally the same room, and you can walk around in their clothes undisturbed (and vice-versa). It makes no sense.

Despite all that, it would still work if safely bypassing a guard didn't drain half your instinct bar or if the "turn your back to them" mechanic wasn't broken. No, it doesn't work, the disguise system makes the game awkward, frustrating and more a checkpoint restart exercise than a stealth game. Such a pity, since I would be loving this game if it wasn't so infuriating to play.

#32 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] So if a waiter from another restaurat walks in front of the one you work at, do you instantly get suspicious and call the police to have him shot dead? Does that sound realistic to you? Cause that's what happens in this game.Black_Knight_00

The game makes a point to tell you that all cops from several different Chicago precincts are looking for you, and yet every single one of them says the exact same thing if you wander into their field of view: "Haven't seen your face before, come here, let me look at you." like every policeman in a metropolis knows all the others. Ten seconds later everyone is shooting at you, meaning getting someone suspicious equals restarting the checkpoint. Dressed as a janitor? Start mopping the floor and no one will bother you, but leave the mop and guns will start to come out. Hitman Blood Money made more sense, since it took into account the fact that a huge casino or company HQ employs guards that keep seeing new faces and don't all know each other. Not here: you're supposed to believe that every guard is 100% familiar with every single one of his 100+ colleagues and is guanteed to spot an impostor, unless he's touching his face. In the courthouse level, policemen know the faces of all their colleagues but not those of civilian courthouse personnel who work in literally the same room, and you can walk around in their clothes undisturbed (and vice-versa). It makes no sense.

Despite all that, it would still work if safely bypassing a guard didn't drain half your instinct bar or if the "turn your back to them" mechanic wasn't broken. No, it doesn't work, the disguise system makes the game awkward, frustrating and more a checkpoint restart exercise than a stealth game. Such a pity, since I would be loving this game if it wasn't so infuriating to play.

The disguise system in Blood Money doesn't even begin to make logical sense. It was downright amusing how ridiculously out of place 47 looked in most of his outfits and yet he had free run of the game with the oblivious AI pretty much ignoring the player unless you do something "suspicious."

The disguise system in Absolution is sometimes a bit unforgiving but it makes far more sense and requires far more skill to use effectively. As Contracts already mentioned, the disguise system in Blood Money was essentially a win card where by contrast Absolution forces you to be judicious, methodical and far more cautious if you want to utilize pure stealth. In most scenarios I've changed outfits numerous times because any one disguise has a finite amount of effectiveness and I'm forced to consistently adapt to my surroundings.

Also, let's not pretend the previous Hitman games, Blood Money included, weren't heavily rooted in trial-and-error and often required restarts. The difference here is that Absolution isn't hampered by clunky mechanics and actually allows you to make viable combat decisions if you get spotted.

Again, if you want Blood Money then go play that because Absolution is something very different and, in my estimation, far better, assuming you take the time to learn the mechanics.

#33 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

I'm about halfway through right now and have no problems with the disguise system, it works well enough. This is by far leaps and bounds better than the other Hitman games and is incredibly fun and replayable. I think ragging on the disguise thing is making a big deal out of nothing.GodModeEnabled

Fandom is tedious and most of the people who complain clearly just want the same thing regurgitated infinitely.

Take something like ACIII: Everybody felt that Revelations was incredibly redundant and yet when Ubisoft releases a sequel that makes massive changes to the structure of the franchise, people whine that it isn't as good as previous installments.

Or look at the growing number of people now claiming that Far Cry 2, easy one of the most maligned shooters of this generation, is better than FC3 because the latter removes elements that were present in the previous game.

Most people want the same goddamn thing over and over again, they just won't admit it. And when you make even the slightest alteration to their precious paradigm, they slander and deride the alteration in a hyperbolic manner.

#34 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18403 posts) -

The disguise system in Blood Money doesn't even begin to make logical sense. It was downright amusing how ridiculously out of place 47 looked in most of his outfits and yet he had free run of the game with the oblivious AI pretty much ignoring the player unless you do something "suspicious." The disguise system in Absolution is sometimes a bit unforgiving but it makes far more sense and requires far more skill to use effectively. As Contracts already mentioned, the disguise system in Blood Money was essentially a win card where by contrast Absolution forces you to be judicious, methodical and far more cautious if you want to utilize pure stealth. In most scenarios I've changed outfits numerous times because any one disguise has a finite amount of effectiveness and I'm forced to consistently adapt to my surroundings. Also, let's not pretend the previous Hitman games, Blood Money included, weren't heavily rooted in trial-and-error and often required restarts. The difference here is that Absolution isn't hampered by clunky mechanics and actually allows you to make viable combat decisions if you get spotted. Again, if you want Blood Money then go play that because Absolution is something very different and, in my estimation, far better, assuming you take the time to learn the mechanics.Grammaton-Cleric

It's not a matter of learning curve, it's a matter of poor design. In the Courthouse level I disguised myself as a secretary and vaulted over the wooden railing, with the court in session, after which I proceeded crawling in cover like a ninja, holding a silenced silver pistol, under the nose of several policemen who had nothing at all to object. Why? Because I was wearing a disguise that wasn't the same as theirs. But oh, if I was wearing a policeman disguise they would have started chasing me me even if I were standing still outside the courthouse and he could only see the top of my head through a window curtain.

It's not realistic, it's not natural, it's not functional. Despite its shortcomings, Blood Money made more sense: hypothetically, if I'm a janitor in a hotel and I see a face I don't recognize I'll start wondering who he is, sure, but I am not going to start following him around shouting to see his ID and calling for the guards unless he does something suspicious and even then, most janitors would probably just mind their own business since strictly speaking it's not their job to provide security. Instead, in Absolution everyone is basically a security guy. A janitor is getting suspicious because you're wearing the same pants he's wearing? No problem! Just blatantly duck in cover behind a desk to break the line of sight! That will dispel all suspicion. Worst case scenario they'll laugh at your ninja dodge "What, you lost your contact lens?"

Please explain to me how that even begins to be in any way natural or realistic.

#35 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

It's not a matter of learning curve, it's a matter of poor design. In the Courthouse level I disguised myself as a secretary and vaulted over the wooden railing, with the court in session, after which I proceeded crawling in cover like a ninja, holding a silenced silver pistol, under the nose of several policemen who had nothing at all to object. Why? Because I was wearing a disguise that wasn't the same as theirs. But oh, if I was wearing a policeman disguise they would have started chasing me me even if I were standing still outside the courthouse and he could only see the top of my head through a window curtain.

It's not realistic, it's not natural, it's not functional. Despite its shortcomings, Blood Money made more sense: hypothetically, if I'm a janitor in a hotel and I see a face I don't recognize I'll start wondering who he is, sure, but I am not going to start following him around shouting to see his ID and calling for the guards unless he does something suspicious and even then, most janitors would probably just mind their own business since strictly speaking it's not their job to provide security. Instead, in Absolution everyone is basically a security guy. A janitor is getting suspicious because you're wearing the same pants he's wearing? No problem! Just blatantly duck in cover behind a desk to break the line of sight! That will dispel all suspicion. Worst case scenario they'll laugh at your ninja dodge "What, you lost your contact lens?"

Please explain to me how that even begins to be in any way natural or realistic.

Black_Knight_00

If you really want to place these games under the cold scrutiny of logic then Absolution wins by a significant margin.

Any area or building with relatively tight security is going to be difficult to infiltrate as a stranger because any unknown face would automatically raise suspicion. Absolution, while not perfect, at the very least acknowledges that people of the same occupation would probably be familiar with one another while by contrast in Blood Money you can wear any disguise and blend in perfectly, despite the fact that the playable protagonist possesses features that make him stand out.

Neither game is trafficking in stark, unflinching realism but at the very least Absolution is taking strides to make subterfuge a tad more difficult than putting on a Halloween costume.

Also, the only way you could have pulled a gun in front of those cops, regardless of disguise, is to have been ENTIRELY out of their line of sight, which is no different than how stealth was handled in Blood Money.

#36 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18403 posts) -

Grammaton-Cleric

If you really want to place these games under the cold scrutiny of logic then Absolution wins by a significant margin.

Any area or building with relatively tight security is going to be difficult to infiltrate as a stranger because any unknown face would automatically raise suspicion. Absolution, while not perfect, at the very least acknowledges that people of the same occupation would probably be familiar with one another while by contrast in Blood Money you can wear any disguise and blend in perfectly, despite the fact that the playable protagonist possesses features that make him stand out.

Neither game is trafficking in stark, unflinching realism but at the very least Absolution is taking strides to make subterfuge a tad more difficult than putting on a Halloween costume.

Also, the only way you could have pulled a gun in front of those cops, regardless of disguise, is to have been ENTIRELY out of their line of sight, which is no different than how stealth was handled in Blood Money.

Your logic would be flawless if and only if the game adapted itself to the various situations, for instance making busy and unsuspecting janitors and waiters less alert than patrolling guards. Instead, all NPC react the exact same way and have the same level of alertness. It's nothing but a cheap ploy to raise the difficulty level in a stilted and artificial way by shoehorning that flimsy instinct mechanic in. This is especially apparent when you consider that nearly all the evasion levels don't allow you to change into civilian clothes once you're out of a restricted area, instead forcing you to remain in police/agency clothes until the end of the mission, unless you want to take the longer, more time-consuming path and remain in your suit.

Also, regardless of when I pulled out the gun, when a line of cops sees a courthouse clerk sneaking in the judge's general direction with a silver-plated high caliber suppressed gun in his hands it should be more suspicious than a cop standing in a corner, and hiding in a closet when you see the suspicion indicator rising shouldn't make people LESS suspicious.

Despite all that, this would be a fantastic game if they only made it less aggravating to play, maybe putting more "hiding in plain sight" spots in (mops, donut boxes...) or made it so that the AI can't get suspicious (de facto forcing a restart) if you only cross their personal space for a fraction of a second, or even if the idea of turning your face to the wall to blend in when someone is coming actually worked.

Blood Money wasn't perfect, but when failing you knew where you messed up and were eager to try again. Here 9 times out of 10 you retry due to the omniscient AI and it's anything but entertaining.

#37 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

Your logic would be flawless if and only if the game adapted itself to the various situations, for instance making busy and unsuspecting janitors and waiters less alert than patrolling guards. Instead, all NPC react the exact same way and have the same level of alertness. It's nothing but a cheap ploy to raise the difficulty level in a stilted and artificial way by shoehorning that flimsy instinct mechanic in. This is especially apparent when you consider that nearly all the evasion levels don't allow you to change into civilian clothes once you're out of a restricted area, instead forcing you to remain in police/agency clothes until the end of the mission, unless you want to take the longer, more time-consuming path and remain in your suit.

Also, regardless of when I pulled out the gun, when a line of cops sees a courthouse clerk sneaking in the judge's general direction with a silver-plated high caliber suppressed gun in his hands it should be more suspicious than a cop standing in a corner, and hiding in a closet when you see the suspicion indicator rising shouldn't make people LESS suspicious.

Despite all that, this would be a fantastic game if they only made it less aggravating to play, maybe putting more "hiding in plain sight" spots in (mops, donut boxes...) or made it so that the AI can't get suspicious (de facto forcing a restart) if you only cross their personal space for a fraction of a second, or even if the idea of turning your face to the wall to blend in when someone is coming actually worked.

Blood Money wasn't perfect, but when failing you knew where you messed up and were eager to try again. Here 9 times out of 10 you retry due to the omniscient AI and it's anything but entertaining.

Black_Knight_00

Again, I'm not stating that Absolution gets it right at all times; no stealth game ever has.

My point remains that what is offered in Absolution makes far more sense than what was present in Blood Money.

As to being able to change clothes after an alert, you can opt to change outfits at any time but the subterfuge mostly fails because by that point the guards have identified your face. Absolution is one of the purest stealth games on the market precisely because it is so unforgiving once you are spotted.

And we can go around in circles because for every logical inconsistency you cite in Absolution I can cite two in Blood Money.

And the stealth in Blood Money was a cakewalk; the only challenge that game presented was the grossly inconsistent enemy AI. Personally, I think people like you and others who deride this game are so enamored with Blood Money that you can't accept these changes in any capacity and instead are destined to rally your hatred and make hyperbolic claims such as your statement that this is one of the worst stealth games ever made.

Objectively, I would argue it is one of the best.

#38 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18403 posts) -

Grammaton-Cleric

Again, I'm not stating that Absolution gets it right at all times; no stealth game ever has.

My point remains that what is offered in Absolution makes far more sense than what was present in Blood Money.

As to being able to change clothes after an alert, you can opt to change outfits at any time but the subterfuge mostly fails because by that point the guards have identified your face. Absolution is one of the purest stealth games on the market precisely because it is so unforgiving once you are spotted.

And we can go around in circles because for every logical inconsistency you cite in Absolution I can cite two in Blood Money.

And the stealth in Blood Money was a cakewalk; the only challenge that game presented was the grossly inconsistent enemy AI. Personally, I think people like you and others who deride this game are so enamored with Blood Money that you can't accept these changes in any capacity and instead are destined to rally your hatred and make hyperbolic claims such as your statement that this is one of the worst stealth games ever made.

Objectively, I would argue it is one of the best.

Despite my fit of rage in the first post, I am not deriding it, I am simply criticising it. I'm a huge fan of stealth games, I played them all, even the obscure ones, and I've rarely found one that's so impressive from a technical standpoint and at the same time devoid of immersion and entertainment. There's a line between being frustrated by the inability to perform what the game requires and frustration because the game is designed to punish you defying all logic. You will never catch me saying Blood Money was perfect, but for all its flaws it knew what it was trying to do: it was more focused on having you figure out how to get to the target rather than having you walk in wide circles and start sneaking in illogical situations in order to avoid the enemies' awareness zones and line of sight. Absolution's main flaw is it's not fun to play. Evading enemies is not a thrill, it'sa bother and the solutions available to you are limited compared to previous games. I'm one of those who loved Splinter Cell Conviction, so don't try to sell me this "you can't adapt to change" talk. A game that's a pain in the ass to play is simply not a good game in my book.
#39 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

Despite my fit of rage in the first post, I am not deriding it, I am simply criticising it. I'm a huge fan of stealth games, I played them all, even the obscure ones, and I've rarely found one that's so impressive from a technical standpoint and at the same time devoid of immersion and entertainment. There's a line between being frustrated by the inability to perform what the game requires and frustration because the game is designed to punish you defying all logic. You will never catch me saying Blood Money was perfect, but for all its flaws it knew what it was trying to do: it was more focused on having you figure out how to get to the target rather than having you walk in wide circles and start sneaking in illogical situations in order to avoid the enemies' awareness zones and line of sight. Absolution's main flaw is it's not fun to play. Evading enemies is not a thrill, it'sa bother and the solutions available to you are limited compared to previous games. I'm one of those who loved Splinter Cell Conviction, so don't try to sell me this "you can't adapt to change" talk. A game that's a pain in the ass to play is simply not a good game in my book.

Black_Knight_00

Your initial statement was concentrated derision and you dismissed this game out of hand as a "runner-up for worse stealth game of all time." You also called it a piece of crap.

That's about as hyperbolic as one can get and you've spent the last several posts trying to defend those asinine statements.

As to the notion that this game is devoid of immersion and entertainment, those are such vague, nebulous and subjective criticisms that I could literally apply them to any game.

You speak of your personal frustration as some universal truth even when I and others have voiced entirely different critiques of the disguise system. What we can do is look, objectively, at the game as a whole and compare it to previous entries to see how it measures up.

- Vastly superior visuals

- Crowd dynamics to aid in stealth and subterfuge

- Vastly improved shooting mechanics and cover system

- Vastly improved melee and close quarter combat

- Great variety in overall game design while still maintaining sandbox structure and malleability

- Instinct mode which is useful but far less omniscient than the previous GOD-MAPs

- Contracts Mode which extends the longevity of this game indefinitely

- A disguise system that is very similar to previous entries but requires a more judicious approach to using. (Easily the most controversial change)

Even if I subscribed to the notion that the disguise system is as broken as you claim, everything else present in this game still eclipses the previous titles by a huge margin. For all the circle-jerking Blood Money receives, the game, like all previous Hitman entries, was plagued by sloppy controls, dumb AI, and a far more rigid trial-and-error structure than anything seen in Absolution.

You are also flatly incorrect in your assertion that this game offers less viable solutions than previous titles. Even in some of the shorter scenarios the player is given a wide spectrum of choice and options, bound only by creativity and ingenuity. Furthermore, open combat in this game is also an option and not hampered by crappy controls, which by default presents more opportunities.

And I really don't care if you personally find the game fun to play. You've attacked Absolution as being absolutely worthless and I take issue with that, especially considering it is one of my favorite games of this (or any) year.

I also find it ironic that you call this game a "pain in the ass to play" yet have Far Cry 3 as your GOTY. I love FC3 (it might be my own GOTY) but it is a pain in the ass to play. That game has more randomly generated deaths lurking around the proverbial corner than Dark Souls.

Fun is subjective and your lack of fun when playing this game does nothing to negate the quality it represents.

#40 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18403 posts) -

You're focusing on my angry first impressions and ignoring my follow-up posts. Fair enough. Still, try not to get stuck on an angry reaction due to the huge hype I had for this title, and don't dismiss the fact that I specifically said the game would be excellent were it not for the frustrating paranoid NPCs. Just disregard the "piece of crap statement" and focus on what I've said after.

After beating the game and going back to a few levels on Normal instead of Hard, I noticed the AI seems to be far less aggravating to deal with. This further confirms my theory that starting games on hard may alter the perception of the overall game. I will play it again on normal and see if I find it more playable.

I actually concur with you about many of the points you listed: it looks stunning and I/O's crowd engine (which was already impressive in Blood Money and Kane & Lynch) is simply astonishing. Gunfights are fun and extremely brutal and believable (reminded me of Max payne 3) which is an even greater merit considering they are entirely optional, thus not the main focus of the game. I will also add sound design, writing and voice acting, which are stellar.

That said, I find that the absence of the safehouse with its weapon and equipment customization to be a massive loss: half the fun in Blood Money was the preparation, the other half being the execution. Knowing you had to compromise between available equipment and the ability to blend in. It's all gone here. I also find it hard to ignore the often backwards reactions by the AI to your actions (see the aforementioned courthouse example), the step back in realism in some key areas (hiding three pistols, a gasoline can, a large landmine, a shotgun and a rifle in a topless wrestling outfit, for instance). The limited disguise options in most levels to justify the instict system. The sectorial AI which makes enemies on the other side of a "checkpoint" door unaware of a massive firefight in the next room. Contracts is nice, I guess, but it was advertised as user generated content while in practice it is nothing but alternate objectives in the campaign levels. 47 losing weapons and disguises in between levels even if the take place seconds one after the other.

There's a great game hidden beneath these many flaws, but the result is ultimately disappointing.

Concerning FarCry 3, I believe the frustration of being killed by a sneaking tiger is hardly comparable to having to reload a checkpoint multiple times because you bumped into a cook in a corridor.

#41 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

Terrible choice, Hitman: Absolution was awesome.

#42 Posted by idunnodude (2282 posts) -

lol you guys keep going back and forth. and now that dude went from saying its a piece of crap to praising it cuz he was getting pwned lol. now i haven't played it, nor any of the hitman games (i actually just got absolution today thus my interest in this thread).

now every level there is a target or whatever right? and im assuming that the target is a fairly known and important individual? i dont know, but im assuming that most NPCs would know that they are around that important guy, and know atleast something about him, possibly including the fact that he may be subject to an assassination attempt. so then the cautiousness or paranoia would be kinda justified no? i dont know and honestly don't care that much but just a thought. maybe if you think about it like that the paranoia would be more forgiveable?

i dont know i have yet to start it. i was planning to buy something else but i saw it for $30 at ebgames today and i thought that was a pretty good price for a game that is fairly new, and ive been wanting to play a good stealth game for a while. got a question though, since everyone complains about the disguise system, can you go through this game wearing your suit only? cuz honestly i think id prefer just doing that if its an option since he just looks more awesome in the suit anyway. lol i dont know its just a thing with me and games, i always value looking cool a lot in games especially if im going to be a stealthy assassin type dude.

#43 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18403 posts) -
Replaying it on normal difficulty and it's a completely different game. Much more enjoyable. Hard mode is completely broken, but normal mode is a lot of fun. If you are going to play it for the first time play on normal turning the hints off in the options.
#44 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

I picked up the Collectors Edition, and I'm definitely enjoying the game so far. Only criticism I can really level at the game at this point is that I wish I could customize my loadout before missions, and it's a bit of a tease to say "Weapon Unlocked!" or see all my CE bonuses completely unusable in the Main game. I loved that about the original Hitman (the only other Hitman I played), and I think it would've improved the experience here. I can, however, see how it would create balance issues in some way, but even that doesn't sit well with me. Starting a mission with a f**cking snub-nose six-shooter with no silencer? Really?

Other than that though, the game seems to be quality.

#45 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
Replaying it on normal difficulty and it's a completely different game. Much more enjoyable. Hard mode is completely broken, but normal mode is a lot of fun. If you are going to play it for the first time play on normal turning the hints off in the options.Black_Knight_00
Well at least you're having some fun now. I imagine on hard the instinct meter must drain a lot faster making the guards notice you a lot quicker? Like a lot? If so then I understand why you would be frustrated cause that would get annoying. Luckily I started on normal (cause I always found the hitman games tough) so I didn't have that. Think I get where you're coming from though.
#46 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18403 posts) -
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Replaying it on normal difficulty and it's a completely different game. Much more enjoyable. Hard mode is completely broken, but normal mode is a lot of fun. If you are going to play it for the first time play on normal turning the hints off in the options.GodModeEnabled
Well at least you're having some fun now. I imagine on hard the instinct meter must drain a lot faster making the guards notice you a lot quicker? Like a lot? If so then I understand why you would be frustrated cause that would get annoying. Luckily I started on normal (cause I always found the hitman games tough) so I didn't have that. Think I get where you're coming from though.

On hard, bypassing a single guard literally depletes half your instinct meter. Plus, guards get suspicious from 20 feet away so you're constantly spinning plates to counter the awareness arrows. Also, there's twice as many guards on hard, so the sum of these factors makes the game incredibly aggravating to play. Normal is much more laid back, allowing you to walk around more and find all sorts of cool things that you would otherwise miss on hard. I just electrocuted a thug to death through his piss stream, how cool is that?
#47 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

You're focusing on my angry first impressions and ignoring my follow-up posts. Fair enough. Still, try not to get stuck on an angry reaction due to the huge hype I had for this title, and don't dismiss the fact that I specifically said the game would be excellent were it not for the frustrating paranoid NPCs. Just disregard the "piece of crap statement" and focus on what I've said after.

After beating the game and going back to a few levels on Normal instead of Hard, I noticed the AI seems to be far less aggravating to deal with. This further confirms my theory that starting games on hard may alter the perception of the overall game. I will play it again on normal and see if I find it more playable.

I actually concur with you about many of the points you listed: it looks stunning and I/O's crowd engine (which was already impressive in Blood Money and Kane & Lynch) is simply astonishing. Gunfights are fun and extremely brutal and believable (reminded me of Max payne 3) which is an even greater merit considering they are entirely optional, thus not the main focus of the game. I will also add sound design, writing and voice acting, which are stellar.

That said, I find that the absence of the safehouse with its weapon and equipment customization to be a massive loss: half the fun in Blood Money was the preparation, the other half being the execution. Knowing you had to compromise between available equipment and the ability to blend in. It's all gone here. I also find it hard to ignore the often backwards reactions by the AI to your actions (see the aforementioned courthouse example), the step back in realism in some key areas (hiding three pistols, a gasoline can, a large landmine, a shotgun and a rifle in a topless wrestling outfit, for instance). The limited disguise options in most levels to justify the instict system. The sectorial AI which makes enemies on the other side of a "checkpoint" door unaware of a massive firefight in the next room. Contracts is nice, I guess, but it was advertised as user generated content while in practice it is nothing but alternate objectives in the campaign levels. 47 losing weapons and disguises in between levels even if the take place seconds one after the other.

There's a great game hidden beneath these many flaws, but the result is ultimately disappointing.

Concerning FarCry 3, I believe the frustration of being killed by a sneaking tiger is hardly comparable to having to reload a checkpoint multiple times because you bumped into a cook in a corridor.

Black_Knight_00

Firstly I'm focusing on your initial post because it was hyperbolic, reactionary and entirely the opposite of the intelligent critiques you usually post. If you don't want that post used against you redact it and move on and so too will I.

The game takes a different approach regarding preparation but the truth is most of the weapons deliver the same results and Contracts Mode does give you an opportunity to customize and select your arsenal. Also, Contract Mode was never advertised as anything but what was delivered: a level-editor that allows you to change the dynamics of the hit.

The inventory system that allows you to hide all manner of weapons on your person has been a staple of Hitman since the beginning: it didn't make logical sense in the previous games and it doesn't make sense now.

I do agree the AI is inconsistent but that's hardly something new with this franchise or even this genre as a whole. I would still assert the AI in Absolution is superior to what was seen in Blood Money, even if those areas of superiority vary.

The game is compartmentalized and that essentially makes it feel more like a game in some regards, though the level of malleability present remains staggering given how many options the player is given.

Absolution is a great game, period. What you need to understand is those flaws you mention are design choices, most of which I consider strengths. Like I already stated, if I want Blood Money (replete with crappy combat mechanics) I'll play Blood Money because Absolution is looking to do something different. It is a situation analogous to the whole Splinter Cell: Conviction debate, where a good segment of the fan base hated that game and claimed certain key design choices were flaws, often ignoring the radically innovative aspects and overall quality that franchise entry represented.

And yes, I think having a random tiger chew me up, causing me to lose a significant amount of progress, constitutes the same type of frustration as having to reset a checkpoint multiple times.

That said, Far Cry 3 is brilliant.

#48 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18403 posts) -
[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"][...] The inventory system that allows you to hide all manner of weapons on your person has been a staple of Hitman since the beginning: it didn't make logical sense in the previous games and it doesn't make sense now. [...] And yes, I think having a random tiger chew me up, causing me to lose a significant amount of progress, constitutes the same type of frustration as having to reset a checkpoint multiple times.

Allow me a correction: previous hitman games did not allow you to hide a long weapon (rifles, shotguns...) on your person. Trying to do so would only cause 47 to lower the gun and in no case would he hide it. With the exception of the MP5 in Blood Money that was concealable, which was a notable flaw in my opinion. That said, in case you missed my latest post, I already went partially back on my original statement (I have no problem admitting I was partially wrong when I am): playing the game on Normal is very entertaining, as you can focus on creativity rather than poorly implemented stealth. Although I stand by my assertion that Hard mode should be avoided if one wants to enjoy the game on the first run.
#49 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Replaying it on normal difficulty and it's a completely different game. Much more enjoyable. Hard mode is completely broken, but normal mode is a lot of fun. If you are going to play it for the first time play on normal turning the hints off in the options.Black_Knight_00

On hard, bypassing a single guard literally depletes half your instinct meter. Plus, guards get suspicious from 20 feet away so you're constantly spinning plates to counter the awareness arrows. Also, there's twice as many guards on hard, so the sum of these factors makes the game incredibly aggravating to play. Normal is much more laid back, allowing you to walk around more and find all sorts of cool things that you would otherwise miss on hard. I just electrocuted a thug to death through his piss stream, how cool is that?

Hahaha yeah I did that too, that was hilarious.
#50 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
And yes, I think having a random tiger chew me up, causing me to lose a significant amount of progress, constitutes the same type of frustration as having to reset a checkpoint multiple times.

That said, Far Cry 3 is brilliant.

Grammaton-Cleric
But can't you save anytime you want in that game? ;) /troll