Heres your monthly Reality Check

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

www.cracked.com/blog/4-awful-things-were-now-considering-nerd-behavior/

I can't post links properly........anymore.

Anyway, enjoy the guilt tripping.

#2 Posted by kbaily (13042 posts) -

# That is a great article and it is sadly so true. A lot of is is the Trope of "it's popular so it sucks" mentality or worse when something we liked because popular with the masses. Do I have to mention the rise of "casual" games and how so many acted like it was the coming of the apocalypse? But Number 4 describes Nintendo fans as of 2007 basically Nintendo after seeing how poorly the Gamecube sold branched out to a different audience, then the Nintendo fans were like "whaaaa! I bought a Gamecube and Virtual Boy! Nintendo OWES me Starfox and Fzero." But so much could be said about the other game communities. Sonic fans never seem satifisfied. If a Sonic game is bad, they rally around and scream bias at critics. If it gets good scores, they complain that they ruined Sonic to appeal to the masses. And of course the constant complain that the more popular a series gets, the more it gets "watered" down to appeal to everyone but this is more or less publishers assuming their audience is incompetent and doesn't want a challenge. The other problem is, when it comes to some of these long running game/movie/TV series sometimes we simply grow out of it. It stayed the same, we just changed and we're mad because it didn't grow up with us and instead Is appealing to a new audience. Sometimes you can't go home again.

But I hate to say this, maybe because I'm an adult looking at younger gens. It not so much "nerd culture" now rather than an "entitlement" mindset. Which sadly comes from a lot of today's parents wanting to be "friends" with their kids, not disciplining them or making them work for anything. Schools doing away with any sort of competition so certain kids don't "feel bad" and things like Honor Roll are being removed so there's no reward for being good at something. And all this "anti-Bullying" legislation that means well but isn't teaching kids to stand up for themselves and instead encourages them to be victims. Parents coddle their kids, give them everything they want, they play sports with no winners or losers and everyone gets a participation trophy, don't have to work for anything, then the parents are all surprised when their kid grows up lazy and belligerent and still living at home when their 30 and not wanting to get a job. Yes I know, not all of you are like this and many of us were raised properly, work for the things we want and don't act like entitled little brats but we see plenty of the reverse. Just go online to a CoD match and see perfect examples of spoiled little brats with no respect for anyone.

Not to mention the whole social media, network sharing culture of the internet along with tons of reality shows, makes everyone feel self important to where they think the world gives a crap about the gameplay video they posted from their PS4. The people truly making a difference in the world, aren't sitting around posting random crap on Facebook.

Sorry to be such a downer here but this article really does describe perfectly the culture we are in today.

#3 Edited by Pedro (20984 posts) -

The last point is the bulk of the forums.

#4 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

I feel so much shame. I still won't budge though, RPGs and their fans are...... uhm...... Practicaly Challenged. Its the burden I choose to bear.

#5 Edited by Randolph (10344 posts) -

@kbaily said:

And all this "anti-Bullying" legislation that means well but isn't teaching kids to stand up for themselves and instead encourages them to be victims.

Kids shouldn't be put in the situation where they have to decide to stand up for themselves in the first place in school, they are there to learn, not to be mentally and physically tortured to the point of either reacting violently to others or towards themselves. Speaking as someone who was bullied constantly from about grade three through to about my senior year in high school, it's not always as simple as "stand up for yourself", and sometimes doing that makes it worse, not better. What would have made it better is the bullies parents being forced to take responsibility for/being held accountable for the actions of their defective kids, and teachers actually giving enough of a damn to take action rather than look the other way.

You know what it feels like to literally be assaulted by three people in the back of the class room, have the teacher stand up and look right into your eyes, and then sit back down and choose to do nothing? No? Well I'm glad you don't, and I don't want anyone else to be there either. I agree that removing all competition to avoid making kids feel bad is simply straight up lame. Crafting legislation that avoids other kids going through what I was put through is not. You know why it ended some time in my senior year?

I was a member of the graduating class of 1999. The Columbine incident happened. They went from terrifying me to being terrified of me because they thought I would snap and bring a gun to school and kill them all. That's the only reason it stopped. Standing up for myself was only the difference between being beat up by one person or three people, and their was no strong anti-bullying legislation until after I was on my way out. The kind of seething hatred that whole experience ingrained in me has been really hard to move past. I told a former bully that I met years later, (he was trying to apologize to me) who was dying of cancer, that I hoped it hurt.

I really wish I hadn't done that, because I can't take it back now, but I was still so damned angry. But yeah, had to get this off my chest. It's a subject I feel strongly about. I won't be coming back to this thread because I've pretty much laid it all out there. Don't blame the victims, the bullies are always the ones at fault.

#6 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

I wonder what would've happened if I posted this in System Wars......

#7 Posted by Jacanuk (3620 posts) -

www.cracked.com/blog/4-awful-things-were-now-considering-nerd-behavior/

I can't post links properly........anymore.

Anyway, enjoy the guilt tripping.

No guilt trip here because some of what is in the link is kinda true but its more true for the kids of today then the kids of my generation. And i for sure won't raise my kids to be like todays kids, all "Me me me and then more me"

#8 Edited by Jacanuk (3620 posts) -

I wonder what would've happened if I posted this in System Wars......

Randolph would come down and kick your butt for posting it where it shouldn´t :D

And the kids in SW would destroy you or probably 90% wouldn´t even get it.

#9 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu:

Maybe I read a different article than everyone else in this threads seem to have read, but nothing in it struck me as insightful. Emotional connections aren't always (some would say often) rational. Piss on a flag or a religious icon, no nation or god is going to be harmed, but adherents will be very angry. Tell a filthy joke about a guy's recently deceased wife in his hearing, it won't hurt her, but you'll probably get punched in the mouth. Irrational caring and or irrational responses (within limits) are part of the basic human condition and not something restricted to 'nerds' or 'sports fans' or any particular category of people.

I could also take issue with some of the writer's claims (in real life very few people abandon something they enjoy because its popular, though they do use popularity to beat up on stuff they don't enjoy). but I'm not in the mood.

#10 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@kbaily said:

# That is a great article and it is sadly so true. A lot of is is the Trope of "it's popular so it sucks" mentality or worse when something we liked because popular with the masses. Do I have to mention the rise of "casual" games and how so many acted like it was the coming of the apocalypse? But Number 4 describes Nintendo fans as of 2007 basically Nintendo after seeing how poorly the Gamecube sold branched out to a different audience, then the Nintendo fans were like "whaaaa! I bought a Gamecube and Virtual Boy! Nintendo OWES me Starfox and Fzero." But so much could be said about the other game communities. Sonic fans never seem satifisfied. If a Sonic game is bad, they rally around and scream bias at critics. If it gets good scores, they complain that they ruined Sonic to appeal to the masses. And of course the constant complain that the more popular a series gets, the more it gets "watered" down to appeal to everyone but this is more or less publishers assuming their audience is incompetent and doesn't want a challenge. The other problem is, when it comes to some of these long running game/movie/TV series sometimes we simply grow out of it. It stayed the same, we just changed and we're mad because it didn't grow up with us and instead Is appealing to a new audience. Sometimes you can't go home again.

But I hate to say this, maybe because I'm an adult looking at younger gens. It not so much "nerd culture" now rather than an "entitlement" mindset. Which sadly comes from a lot of today's parents wanting to be "friends" with their kids, not disciplining them or making them work for anything. Schools doing away with any sort of competition so certain kids don't "feel bad" and things like Honor Roll are being removed so there's no reward for being good at something. And all this "anti-Bullying" legislation that means well but isn't teaching kids to stand up for themselves and instead encourages them to be victims. Parents coddle their kids, give them everything they want, they play sports with no winners or losers and everyone gets a participation trophy, don't have to work for anything, then the parents are all surprised when their kid grows up lazy and belligerent and still living at home when their 30 and not wanting to get a job. Yes I know, not all of you are like this and many of us were raised properly, work for the things we want and don't act like entitled little brats but we see plenty of the reverse. Just go online to a CoD match and see perfect examples of spoiled little brats with no respect for anyone.

Not to mention the whole social media, network sharing culture of the internet along with tons of reality shows, makes everyone feel self important to where they think the world gives a crap about the gameplay video they posted from their PS4. The people truly making a difference in the world, aren't sitting around posting random crap on Facebook.

Sorry to be such a downer here but this article really does describe perfectly the culture we are in today.

I I had to guess, I'd say that you are childless and get your news of the world through talk radio. I came up through public schools and have two kids in public schools and I've never actually seen one of these oft-mentioned schools where there are no grades or kids play games but nobody keeps score.

#11 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

To be fair, Metallica has indeed been sucking for the past 15 years regardless of their mainstreamness. Nobody actually likes the new Metallica stuff. A couple years ago, I went to a concert of theirs in a 20k seats arena, and you could hear crickets when they played stuff from their past 3-4 albums or whatever.

#12 Posted by Jacanuk (3620 posts) -

To be fair, Metallica has indeed been sucking for the past 15 years regardless of their mainstreamness. Nobody actually likes the new Metallica stuff. A couple years ago, I went to a concert of theirs in a 20k seats arena, and you could hear crickets when they played stuff from their past 3-4 albums or whatever.

Well, that might be because who buys their music is not the same who go to concerts.

Because them being (one of) the worlds best selling rock band kinda disagree with your statement that they suck.

Also who can blame Lars and Headfield for taking their band in the direction which gives them the most success, if they would have stayed "true" they would never have gone past small crowds and would have been forgotten a long time ago.

#13 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@ReddestSkies said:

To be fair, Metallica has indeed been sucking for the past 15 years regardless of their mainstreamness. Nobody actually likes the new Metallica stuff. A couple years ago, I went to a concert of theirs in a 20k seats arena, and you could hear crickets when they played stuff from their past 3-4 albums or whatever.

Well, that might be because who buys their music is not the same who go to concerts.

Because them being (one of) the worlds best selling rock band kinda disagree with your statement that they suck.

Also who can blame Lars and Headfield for taking their band in the direction which gives them the most success, if they would have stayed "true" they would never have gone past small crowds and would have been forgotten a long time ago.

So you're saying that there are a lot of people out there buying $20 Metallica albums that I can't even name without looking up, but that won't pay $60 to see them live? Really?

Btw, I'm not bashing them for not staying true. I'm bashing them for making boring music. That they started putting out boring albums around the same time that they "sold out" might just be a coincidence, and I don't necessary make that link.

#14 Posted by Jacanuk (3620 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@ReddestSkies said:

To be fair, Metallica has indeed been sucking for the past 15 years regardless of their mainstreamness. Nobody actually likes the new Metallica stuff. A couple years ago, I went to a concert of theirs in a 20k seats arena, and you could hear crickets when they played stuff from their past 3-4 albums or whatever.

Well, that might be because who buys their music is not the same who go to concerts.

Because them being (one of) the worlds best selling rock band kinda disagree with your statement that they suck.

Also who can blame Lars and Headfield for taking their band in the direction which gives them the most success, if they would have stayed "true" they would never have gone past small crowds and would have been forgotten a long time ago.

So you're saying that there are a lot of people out there buying $20 Metallica albums that I can't even name without looking up, but that won't pay $60 to see them live? Really?

Btw, I'm not bashing them for not staying true. I'm bashing them for making boring music. That they started putting out boring albums around the same time that they "sold out" might just be a coincidence, and I don't necessary make that link.

Yes, its not uncommon for the people at concerts to be different from the people who actually buy their music, most artists have this "problem" Metallica more so since they have 2 different styles and are still known as a heavy metal band and not Rock band.

Also i don't agree with them making boring music, Black was a good album, St Anger not so much but its not easy to make top rated titles all the time.

#15 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Why would I even begin to care how I am perceived by a bunch of strangers Ill never know?

#16 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

@ Jacanuk

lol its not Kids, Its grown ass men behaving like kids. I'm freaking 22 years old for crying out loud, how sad is that. :(

#17 Posted by Jacanuk (3620 posts) -

@ Jacanuk

lol its not Kids, Its grown ass men behaving like kids. I'm freaking 22 years old for crying out loud, how sad is that. :(

hehe, 22 :D you young young man

#19 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

@ Jacanuk

lol, I'm not young enough to get away with being a jackass. Thats little Johnny's department.

#20 Posted by Jacanuk (3620 posts) -

@ Jacanuk

lol, I'm not young enough to get away with being a jackass. Thats little Johnny's department.

hehe :)

#21 Posted by platinumking320 (639 posts) -

www.cracked.com/blog/4-awful-things-were-now-considering-nerd-behavior/

I can't post links properly........anymore.

Anyway, enjoy the guilt tripping.

Its true. I give you that, but I think it's all about productivity. If we look at nerd as derogatory, then we can be looked as staunch defenders of old tenets of a medium when we could find some consistent way to contribute to that medium. Look at Movie Bob on the escapist. He's active, and proud of it.

Musically I look at producers who still produce old jungle/drum and bass and trip hop styles. They're on the fringes when dubstep that pendulum-like rock sound rusko etc and wobble bass is always at the forefront of UK music not all of it's bad to me. but not exactly my mainstay.

Now the former I mentioned can be among the perceived geeks of breakbeat in that scene, but it's not shameful, because they are in some sense a productive contrast to the mainstream trend when it's stale and can demonstrate that art is more than the trend everyone's wearing for the month. They create their own cool through independence. The nerd may be an exploitable audience but within we still have intelligent arguements that analyze what we enjoy as a bigger part of the human condition, when it's shallow and when it's not.

Some could do more to share what they love and be open to changes and differing perspectives, but some preservation of a medium are just as important as different forwarding realizations of where it could go.

I could be a nerd for saying that P Diddy's " blockbuster mansion hollywood" interpretations of hip hop rising above the ghetto kinda ruined hip hop. Some 20 years later....I still don't think I'm wrong.

#22 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

@ platinumking320

You maybe right, but the real issue how do you say that without sounding like a whiny lil bitch ? On some level even the way you explained still falls into atleast two of those 4 categories, you gotta understand being an accidental douchbage is just as bad as an habitual asshole. Even when you're right. I say we let chicks come in and teach me some manners. :D I've been a ver bad Boy ! :p

#23 Edited by platinumking320 (639 posts) -

@ platinumking320

You maybe right, but the real issue how do you say that without sounding like a whiny lil bitch ? On some level even the way you explained still falls into atleast two of those 4 categories, you gotta understand being an accidental douchbage is just as bad as an habitual asshole. Even when you're right. I say we let chicks come in and teach me some manners. :D I've been a ver bad Boy ! :p

It all comes down to presentation. A lot of people put their attitudes in front of the core logic or reasoning behind what they like. They don't address the in-depth of why they like what they like in a thoughtful simple manner. They don't say 'this is just me' but if thats what you like 'cool' there's no dislike in that. and it should be done more. I've gotten into philosophical arguments and met best friends through this discourse as I'm sure you have. It just helps you realize who is more understanding of certain passions and who doesn't really care in conversations.

For example, I talked with a friend from high schools about how I wasn't too much into reality shows. I tried to tell her i didn't hate them. I did say there were good examples like 'Run' from Run DMC and his family, and The Amazing Race was awesome. but that a lot of them felt too contrived, cynical and cheap to draw me in the same way, and Its ironic that well acted, scripted fiction drama were mountains more honest than a lot of reality shows.

I had to explain myself a bit more, and provide examples of great films that we both saw, because at first she thought I was dumping on something she loved. So yeah it was an accident but the more we talked it was just a realization that a fringe interest was really a common one overshadowed by a current trend.

So yeah its true. I still think thought. You can still be open and recognize the positives in other things without having 'to eat the cauliflower', and override your brain to pretend to like something that ain't going down. Raise your toast glass to others, but in the end...

say...you reminded me of a boondocks comic strip quote XD.

Huey: I'm sick of women singing about broke men, sick of men singing about loose women, sick of award shows, sick of name-brand clothes... From this moment on, I stand as the antithesis of Black popular culture!! I am the Anti-Cool! I hereby declare myself... A NERD!

It happens man. All we need is more rationale and less hate.

#24 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

@ platinumking320

But rational is boring ! :(

Can't we hust hate the right stuff, like Microsoft ? :D

#25 Edited by platinumking320 (639 posts) -

@ platinumking320

But rational is boring ! :(

Can't we hust hate the right stuff, like Microsoft ? :D

Sure but even in the arguements you can see that in all nerd loves, it's only a monolith to people who don't give a fuck. Look at the ancient philosophers, scientists renaissance and post modern artists of history. A lot these guys were socially alone with their passions. The communities they lived in often didn't care about the things these folks cared about. Discoveries that shaped our society.

I even notice some of the MSNBC news pundits as 'policy wonks' occasionally refer to themselves or accept when they are called 'nerds'. Its not some default of norm simply because adults watch the news, because a lot of people don't.

Even for those that dismiss. They have their own geek loves that can appear illogical and strange in the wrong social context, so it s just a matter of us knowing sometimes when to leave our metaphorical 'teddy' that we cling to at home, and working on self-awareness.

Also consider how guys like you and Totalbiscuit in a very layman's terms way talk about shitty "Need for Speed Rivals" type cut-scenes, and MMS/FPS taking agency away from players. To folks who still think core games are for nerds, not all of them would be interested in discussing this real design problem or even relating it with other entertainment or passions they like that gets hampered when out-of-place stuff is just rammed in.

Sometimes you'll get those open minded people and there are others who ask and ask, but you gotta keep certain interests at arms length because you know they're not interested.

You ever have those moments with people where you think 'okay...so you don't wanna pick up the controller, or hear the song or take the time to investigate for yourself what triggers my interest, but you wanna 'brain-scan' me all of a sudden? Unless that person is honest enough to address why they want to engage with you and that they're not interested or knowledgeable about your favorite medium etc. it can in some cases be a dead giveaway that you're dealing with a shark.

#26 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

@ platinumking320

This conversation is now officially way above my pay grade, I just don't have the intellegence to follow this conversation anymore.

Speaking of which, wheres grammaton cleric anyway, he hasn't insulted me in a while ? :(

#27 Posted by Bigboi500 (28804 posts) -

Bullying is bullshit, and it's the kids' parents that are to blame. No child should ever behave in such a way, online or in person. Bad parents of bad kids should have to do time or pay heavy fines when their children repeatedly do bad things over and over. There's really no excuse for such bad behavior.

#28 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

@ Bigboi500

Oh yeah totally. But what are we gona do about the 30 year old douche bags, call their parents ?

#29 Edited by Bigboi500 (28804 posts) -

If the authorities can't or wont deliver justice, then the people should turn vigilant.

#30 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

@ Bigboi500

Really !! :D

I call dibs on Batman !

#31 Posted by Bigboi500 (28804 posts) -

lol... in all seriousness though, when suicide victims' families are told nothing can be done when terrible children are guilty of pushing other children in to it, that's a bunch of crap.

#33 Posted by loafofgame (370 posts) -

I thought being a nerd was simply about being very passionate about something (more passionate than the average human being, I guess). You don't have to be a dick about your passion. All this time I thought I was a nerd and now it turns out I'm too nice to be a nerd. I have nowhere left to go!

Curse my amazingness.

#34 Edited by platinumking320 (639 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Sorry if I left you in the dust man. too many thoughts. Acck!

and yeah. Gram insults are interesting. especially when imagining the voice of 'monty python' troupe when you're reading em.

#35 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

@ platinumking320

LOL, I have no Idea who that is. I imagine him as Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory. Oh the Hilarity :D

#36 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6001 posts) -

Bullies. Big fuckin' deal. Randolph can complain all day long, but the first time you put one bully in the hospital(whether with massive internal injuries or a single broken finger) is the last time you get bullied. Believe me, I know. And besides, what does a school do? Suspend you? The first time my kid tells me he was suspended for breaking the hand of some punk trying to take his lunch money, I'm taking him to Six Flags.

#37 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

@ El_Zo1212o

Why do people use Randolph as reference material as of late, what did he do ?

#38 Posted by Jacanuk (3620 posts) -

@ El_Zo1212o

Why do people use Randolph as reference material as of late, what did he do ?

He became a moderator and have been here since the dawn of time i think :)

#39 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

@ Jacanuk

LOL ! Thats good for him, Allthough Baby sitting the internet is not my idea of a good time ;)

#40 Posted by Jacanuk (3620 posts) -

@ Jacanuk

LOL ! Thats good for him, Allthough Baby sitting the internet is not my idea of a good time ;)

lol i think with the benefits you get for being a gamespot mod its not so bad spending a few hours a day removing bots and looking at some flags :) but ya otherwise i agree 100% , there are better things to do with your time.

#41 Posted by juradai (2783 posts) -

Bullies. Big fuckin' deal. Randolph can complain all day long, but the first time you put one bully in the hospital(whether with massive internal injuries or a single broken finger) is the last time you get bullied. Believe me, I know. And besides, what does a school do? Suspend you? The first time my kid tells me he was suspended for breaking the hand of some punk trying to take his lunch money, I'm taking him to Six Flags.

See, it doesn't usually work out as simple as your child coming back in "Hollywood fashion" and they end up beating up the person bullying them. Bullies always place themselves in the best possible position to win both physically and mentally. Their entire existence is seeing the control they can have over others. It's not always a physical control either. Many times they gauge the social ecosystem and use it to their advantage to get other people involved in the bullying of their target. Its not always as simple as someone getting pushed around.

By the way you are talking, it doesn't sound like you have children but please forgive me if I am wrong. I just think your post is over-simplifying the nature of bullying and how intricate it really can be.