Have you noticed a decline in the quality of Gamespot since Greg left?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jedigemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jedigemini
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts
I have..... particularly with the new review system and the reviews in general... many ofwhich are very uninformative, confusing, and generally ill-concieved.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

I haven't noticed a significant drop in quality, and I don't see how the change in scoring could possible affect the qualilty of the review.

Could you cite some examples?

Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

I could never understand why some people go on about Greg's departure somehow bringing down the quality of Gamespot's reviews or that Greg K was somehow the perfect reviewer.

Frankly, though I thought Greg was a detailed reviewer, there were more then a handful of reviews from him that didn't at all match my own personal experience with a game in which it either was scored much lower (such as the 8.2 for Deus Ex) or much higher (the 9.0 for PDZ) then I personally felt a game deserved in addition to being very different from the majority of other reviews on the web.....in addition at times the review score breakdown seemed contradictory to what was written in the actual review or later Gamespot articles (the 9.4 for Halo 2 and especially getting a perfect 10 for "gameplay" yet just a month later it's nominated for biggest disappointment).

In addition there have been other reviewers at Gamespot, both before and after Greg, whose reviews and scores were more in touch with my own experience with many games....therefore more trustworthy for the kind of gamer I am.

Second, I can't believe some are still whining about the change in the way reviews are done.....I only care about one thing, if a game I was looking forward to good.....if it's an an Editor's Choice pick (ie 9.0, 9.5, 10) then I am more then happy. Especially since reviews at Gamespot alone arent the only deciding factor for a game purchase. People really need to move on rather then continuing to complain about a review policy change that is already several months old.

Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shifty_Pete
Member since 2004 • 2678 Posts

I liked Greg, and I think that it was definitely a loss for GameSpot to have him leave, but the same could be said of any good employee. I don't think Greg's leaving has left the site deficient in any way, or anything.

Second, I can't believe some are still whining about the change in the way reviews are doneRobnyc22
You should see Site Enhancements and Feedback... they're appalled by the idea that businesses won't completely change their policies and practices just because of some all-caps whining on a forum.
stevendiep_100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 stevendiep_100
Member since 2004 • 2193 Posts

Sure, but he isn't coming back. Unless gamespot can give him an increased $4253405753 pay

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts
It didn't begin with gregs depature.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts
No I can't say that I have noticed any decline in quality myself. Sure I really liked Greg's reviews but things to going on just fine and good here as far as I can see.
Avatar image for HrolfTheStrange
HrolfTheStrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HrolfTheStrange
Member since 2006 • 490 Posts
I have noticed recently that this board is becoming more nongaming oriented and things aren't getting locked as much if they're not about games.
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#10 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Yea, I guess. Every Wii game I've expected to score well hasn't. Sonic 3 was the final nail in the coffin.
Sr_Mateus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sr_Mateus
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts

Well, I have.

First, Greg was my favorite reviewer, what can I say, I really liked his style. Second, I feel like less and less games are getting reviewed. It may be just me, but specially the PSP titles are getting few reviews.

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

No Gamespot has always been horrible with review scores and reviews.

I mean sure Greg was the best of the GS staff but that really isn't saying much.....at all.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#13 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

I'm not mentioning names, but there is one reviewer in particular I do not like, his journalism skills are highly dubious, and he's pretty much done poor reviews on each system.

Otherwise, not much has changed for me in terms of reviews. The site itself is just as good or better mind you.

appleater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 appleater
Member since 2002 • 1574 Posts
Actually, Greg was the smartest person on this site. New people can still read/watch his reviews and judge for themselves, but Greg liked to argue in this forum, and that is gone. It's easy to slight him now, but when he was here, he was pinning us as easily and with as much class as John Brzenk.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
Greg was my favorite reviewer, but I can't say I'm noticed a decline in quality since his absence. Of course, some of the remaining reviewers are better than others and there are categories such as fighting games where I tend to discount GS reviews entirely, but unlike, say Play, I weigh GS reviews when making purchasing decisions.
WindedSailor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WindedSailor
Member since 2003 • 179 Posts
i've noticed a decline in the quality of the reviews on the site, but i dont think its because greg left. sure, he wrote great reviews, and he was an editor, but he only wrote a small percentage of the reviews on the site. its beating a dead horse at this point but the whole idea of simplifying the review process in my opinion has dumbed down the quality that we used to get from the reviews.
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Well, Ive noticed a decline, not necessarilly because of him leaving.

The reviews seem so out of whack now, ever since the reviews changed.

I loved the old reviews, I wanted to know specifics out of 10, not demerits or awards.

The new reviewing is kinda lame, its not complicated enough.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

Well, Ive noticed a decline, not necessarilly because of him leaving.

The reviews seem so out of whack now, ever since the reviews changed.

I loved the old reviews, I wanted to know specifics out of 10, not demerits or awards.

The new reviewing is kinda lame, its not complicated enough.

Shmiity

I agree, but I do miss Greg, that is all I'm gonna say...this is a rather touchy subject.
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#19 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
How to phrase this...uh, No more than usual.
teufelherz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 teufelherz
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts
I haven't noticed
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
the sites been in a steady steep decline for alot longer then gregk's departure
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

I have..... particularly with the new review system and the reviews in general... many ofwhich are very uninformative, confusing, and generally ill-concieved.jedigemini

agreed

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
Not really, although OTS has lost it completely without Rich Gallup. I thought they were going to hire someone completely new. Jeff is as stale as a rock on morphine.
Joshywaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24 Joshywaa
Member since 2002 • 10991 Posts

i miss greg so much :cry:

i remember the very first video review (or one of the first) that i saw was his video review of morrowind.

he was the best.

Joshywaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#25 Joshywaa
Member since 2002 • 10991 Posts

i also remember once Greg responded to a thread i made in like...late '02 early '03, i was asking a question about Fallout......

it made me so happy :)

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#26 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

One thing I've noticed is.

After Greg K. left, the number of video reviews has been reduced.

What's up with that?

Korubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Korubi
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts

No Gamespot has always been horrible with review scores and reviews.

I mean sure Greg was the best of the GS staff but that really isn't saying much.....at all.

Dencore

I don't agree with you. Greg was a brilliant writer. Good enough to get picked up, and now he makes games. Great games, like Command and Conquer 3.

Greg was my favorite, so his leaving made me a little less interested in the sites' review's (less Greg to read). But other than that, I don't think him leaving altered the quality of any of the other writers. And to set a couple things straight, the new review system was in motion far before Greg left the staff. In fact, if I remember correctly, he was one of the minds behind it.

NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts
Greg Kasavin actually was a pretty bad reviewer.
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#29 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts
I don't see a decline in the quality, but I will say the reviews seem to have taken a more negative or ambivilant tone. There doesn't seem like a whole lot of enthusiasm. Almost like a few of the reviewers are getting tired of videogames.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

Greg K is a good writer, and he will be missed. I'm not one for very detailed reviews, I don't like it when reviewers overanalyze a game's mechanics unless there's a good reason. Greg did have a strong opinion, though, and that's what I would like to see more in the new Gamespot.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

Greg Kasavin actually was a pretty bad reviewer.NaiKoN9293

Could you explain why you think that?