Have you ever skipped over an entire generation?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jefferyjosephh (71 posts) -

I love generation 4 (especially SNES and Sega Gensis) and love generation 6 (especially GBA and Gamecube)

But....I just did not get into generation 5. It is my least favorite generation and the generation that does not hold much if any nostalgia for me at all.

Gen 4 and 6 are the ones i collect for and play the most. Not much into current stuff at all as the current consoles and handhelds just bore me to tears........thus the reason I lurk around here much of the time.

How about you. Which is your least favorite generation? How much, if any, did you play of that generation?

#2 Posted by simomate (1859 posts) -
Nope? I do agree that gen 4 and 6 were the best. But gen 5 did have some gems. M64, Banjo Kooie, Mario Party, Lylat Wars (starfox 64), Tekkan, FF games, just to name a few.
#3 Posted by BlendThree (119 posts) -

Nope I've been in it since Gen 2 and can't help but get excited with each subsequent generation. I can't quite put a finger on why, but this gen has probably been the least exciting to me to date but I'm all up in it nevertheless.

#5 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

I was born in 1987 and since then I haven't skipped a gen, however due to being incredibly young, I did miss out on 90% of the NES generation.

But my favorite gen would be gen 6, mostly because of the Dreamcast and PS2. My least favorite is probably gen 2 and 1, just because it was way before my time and the games just don't really do anything for me.

#6 Posted by DealRogers (4569 posts) -

Your worst generation is my best. I didn't skip any gen but I didn't play anything before the NES.

#7 Posted by shmuklidooha (51 posts) -

I guess that you could say that I skipped most of the current gen. It's not because I didn't like it, but because I moved abroad for university and didn't have the space for a TV and console. Howver, now I got myself a spanking new TV and brought my Wii, so I'm up and running =)

#8 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

Skipped the current gen, aside from handhelds! They are rad but I can get most've what I want out of the HD twins on my PC and I just never got around to buying a Wii, I guess. I also skipped Gen 1-2 since, you know, I wasn't "born yet" whatever that means. I rarely play my PS1 or N64 (don't have a Saturn) but that will change eventually, I'm sure.

#9 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8041 posts) -
Nope, I haven't skipped any since I started playing games.
#10 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
I started with 4th gen and since then only skipped the current gen.
#11 Posted by JamesHarden98 (38 posts) -
Skipped fourth at least except for mario kart and golden eye at my friend's house
#12 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4728 posts) -

I've owned at least one console from every generation since I was born (4th). I've yet to have a generation where gaming bores me.

#13 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
no, because that would be stupid
#14 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

I guess that you could say that I skipped most of the current gen. It's not because I didn't like it, but because I moved abroad for university and didn't have the space for a TV and console. Howver, now I got myself a spanking new TV and brought my Wii, so I'm up and running =)

shmuklidooha

except that the wii really sucks. get a ps3 rather I'd say.

I loved every generation and especially the 32 bit generation and I will add dreamcast to that generation as I meant 1995-2001

#15 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

i rocked the colecovision till the snes came out. THATS generation skipping at its finest. the NES was also a dumb system

#16 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

It's called PC gaming.

But consoles get too many good games to skip on them.

the NES was also a dumb system

ionusX

No U :P

#17 Posted by AsadMahdi59 (6555 posts) -

The 5th, not because I wanted to, believe me I would have killed for either an N64 or PS1 back in the day. I had to play them at friends houses. However now I really don't think it's such a big deal. so many games from those days have aged terribly and 3d games have gotten so much better. I did buy some PS1 games to play on my ps2 and have also bought some off PSN.

#18 Posted by Sali217 (1274 posts) -
I was one of those kids who was never allowed a video game console when I was little, so I tend to have limited experience with generations before the 5th gen.
#19 Posted by Talldude80 (6321 posts) -

not really. I started gaming with the atari 2600 and arcade games (when i was really young), and then I played the NES, then the snes and Genesis (and 32x) ps1, ps2, xbox, xbox360 and I've gone back and I've purchased an N64 and my gf has a Gamecube. I never had a reason to "skip over an entire generation." As a Legacy platform gamer, I find games I LOVE in every Generation.

#20 Posted by JamesHarden98 (38 posts) -

And by fourth I meant fifth

#21 Posted by brkr12002 (215 posts) -
The next gen of consoles will probably be my first to skip out on. I feel like the current gen is being cut short and there is still room for more amazing looking games to come from the ps3 and 360.
#22 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

what are you talking about> the ps4 isn;'t out yet for years

#23 Posted by BigBen11111 (1528 posts) -
I have been playing video games since the late 80's. And I never skip a gen, but I have skip over the X-Box.
#24 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
My first "gen" would be the one that included the NES. I've owned and/or still own systems from the Atari 2600, Intellivision, SNES, Sega Genesis, PlayStation, N64, Dreamcast, PS2 (launch and slim), GameCube, Xbox, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii, along with the original GameBoy, GBA SP and Sony PSP. Systems I haven't owned, like Sega Master System, TurboGrafx-16, Neo Geo, Sega CD, and Sega Saturn, I've at least had the chance to experience games from.
#25 Posted by KBFloYd (13846 posts) -

missed the whole gamecube/xbox/ps2 era.... i had quit gamming back in 2000...

started up again in 2008.

#26 Posted by NiKva (8768 posts) -
No, but I did not play my Xbox (original) at all (just a machine that collected dust).
#27 Posted by homegirl2180 (7161 posts) -
GBA. I got to go back over it when I got my DS.
#28 Posted by judaspete (424 posts) -
I almost skipped this generation, but then Brutal Legend happened. Still, the focus on online and the death of split screen multiplayer have made me less excited about things to come. I'm hoping Wii U brings back local multiplayer to the mainstream.
#29 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15592 posts) -
I've owned just about every major console released in America since I started playing games. The only exceptions being the Gamecube (because I have a Wii now) and the Dreamcast (because I no longer see any use for having one). Also played games on the PC for most of the time except for about 2004-2008. I couldn't really say what is my favorite as I've liked different things about each.
#30 Posted by BatCrazedJoker (1978 posts) -
I have played a console or two from each generation.
#31 Posted by KingsofQueens (2217 posts) -

Nope, never did. I started with Generation 2 with Intellivision II and a second hand Atari 400. Never skipped a Generation.

Although, I have started Late into a Generation in the last decade.

Got a PS2, XBOX and GC all after 2003. And this gen, got a 360 Elite and PS3 Slim after 2008. My feeling tells me I'm gonna do the same and come in late into next generation as well. I've pretty much only spent 4 years of generation 7, and barely scratched the surface yet.

#32 Posted by kittensRjerks (3802 posts) -

no I've never skipped a generation of gaming in all 33 years.

#33 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

KBFloYd

That's really sad, those were among the best years of gaming ever. Although I'm not really one to talk; from about 2004 to 2007 I barely played any video games, although I still played them occassionally during that period.

#34 Posted by Naylord (682 posts) -

Gen 5 is one of my favourites! PS1 was amazing; I find that console out of any retro one to have the most replay value by far. Easily the best RPGs are on that platform.

#35 Posted by gokuofheaven (3442 posts) -
I didn't utilize my time for any gaming during college years, barely played any in-fact. I just remember skipping over the N64 and Gamecube. I eventually bought one when they became cheap just to add to the collection.
#36 Posted by KBFloYd (13846 posts) -

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

Shenmue_Jehuty

That's really sad, those were among the best years of gaming ever. Although I'm not really one to talk; from about 2004 to 2007 I barely played any video games, although I still played them occassionally during that period.

maybe it was for the best...was probably embarrassing to be a nintendo fan in those days.

who knows...i might of become a sony fan.