Have you ever queued up at 12am for a new game release?

• 49 results
Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

The only time I've ever done that was for gta4, I queued up at a supermarket, there was a few hundred people there and the supermarket had extra security on, it was my first time doing this and was quite exciting standing in line wAiting for the games to be brought out.

There was a queue for 360 at one till and for ps3 at another. After about an hour or so they brought out the games, I was about 3/4 up from the front of a huge queue, anyway they started selling the games and the piles of games were going down fast, It was looking like they were gonna run out b4 I could purchase one, I almost gave up queueing but I hung in there. People were purchasing their game and walking out holding it up like a trophy, long story short I got the second to last copy they had. It was a cool experience but don't think I would do it again. I took two days off work ill so I could play it lol.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Only time I ever went to a midnight launch was for the ps4. I didn't have to though but I was really excited. I already had it preordered but I just couldn't wait till the morning.

For games I just usually just go the morning of release.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Never did a midnight launch. Before "same day shipping" on Amazon, I used to just pre-order my games and pick them up on release day. That way, I was guaranteed a copy.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@ariabed said:

The only time I've ever done that was for gta4, I queued up at a supermarket, there was a few hundred people there and the supermarket had extra security on, it was my first time doing this and was quite exciting standing in line wAiting for the games to be brought out.

There was a queue for 360 at one till and for ps3 at another. After about an hour or so they brought out the games, I was about 3/4 up from the front of a huge queue, anyway they started selling the games and the piles of games were going down fast, It was looking like they were gonna run out b4 I could purchase one, I almost gave up queueing but I hung in there. People were purchasing their game and walking out holding it up like a trophy, long story short I got the second to last copy they had. It was a cool experience but don't think I would do it again. I took two days off work ill so I could play it lol.

No not really and i probably never will, i have yet to need a game that bad or be that mainstream

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ariabed

@jasean79: I remember I pre ordered masseffect2 from Amazon, it came through the post a day b4 release, I had happy time in my pants over that lol

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ariabed

@Jacanuk: well I only did it the one time, plus I was a huge fan of GTA especially San Andreas, i don't know why but I didn't get a pre order in, and I didn't want to have to wait to play it.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I did it for Gears of War 2. Dunno if I would ever do it again, ordering online usually results in me getting the games a day early.

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#8 kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

I would do it for ME3 or Halo reach ... but games don't launch out here ...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#9 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I've never queued up to buy a video game, at 12am or otherwise...I'm never in that much of a hurry...I'll get to it when I get to it, even if I have to wait for restock...

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Never, I do tend to pre-order in stores so they put them on their list first and lay away enough copies before they sell to walk ins.

So there's never really been a need.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44152 Posts

Yes, I've done it quite a few times. For games such as Halo, Call of Duty, GTA, and Gears of War. I found them to be pretty enjoyable expierences.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I'm too lazy to do that.

I just pre-order the game and get it 1-2 days before the release date instead.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#13 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I've never been to a midnight release.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#14 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Nope, I probably never would. I very rarely even pre-order games. I don't see the point in going to a midnight release. By the time I got home, I would probably be too tired to play the game. And if I wasn't, I would be too tired the next day to play it. It's not like I'm in a race to complete games.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

Me neither. Not even for a console.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Only once. It was for FFXII. I was in college and didn't have morning classes, so I figured why the hell not. Plus I was really pumped for the game.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#17 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@marcheegsr said:

Only time I ever went to a midnight launch was for the ps4. I didn't have to though but I was really excited. I already had it preordered but I just couldn't wait till the morning.

For games I just usually just go the morning of release.

Same here, PS4 was the only time i have done it. I don't see the point of doing it when you are going to bed not long after

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I used to when I was younger. Now I'm getting to the point that, while I enjoy sharing in the excitement of those around me, when I get home I'm just too tired to enjoy the game and usually end up going to bed. I'd rather enjoy a game I've been waiting for well-rested.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I went to the midnight launch for the PS4 with my friend. We got our PS4s, drove home, and started playing a couple of games together. I don't regret it one bit, it was a great experience.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts

I only queued up for the LA Noire release.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I think this Dorkly comic sums it up nicely.

I've done it before. Occasionally I've done it for something I really couldn't wait for (or even imported a game or system months early back in the day) but these days I have more patience. At any given point I have such a backlog of games that I'm not chomping at the bit for the latest game no matter how good it looks. Even if I forgot to reserve a system, I find that if I call around the next day to the various stores that don't take pre-orders the next day I can usually hunt one down with a bit of effort. It might seem like more work, but it's work in the morning versus the middle of the night and I'm dealing with a few store clerks instead of a hundred unwashed nerds.

The last game I stood in line for was Starcraft 2. Not because I was particularly interested in it, but my hotel in Redmond was literally 1 block away from a Gamespot and I wasn't doing anything else.

-Byshop

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@ariabed: The only time I did it was for the PS4, My Superstar (ASDA) got 21 consoles in store for the midnight launch. I had mine on pre order but for the second round of consoles because i pre ordered late, so at 8pm doing the shopping with the mrs I just wondered over to see if they would have any in tonight thinking no one would even think about it at this time, low and behold there were 19 people in the queue, some of them had been there since 2pm, anyway I went back over to the mrs told her, went back home pondering on what i should do, I decided I'll risk it, went back and luckily no one had turned up, I got myself number 20, anyway some guy got in behind who had come from 100miles away to try and find a store, a few people kept fluttering around until mid night, I got my console, but the guy infront was buying 2, from for him and one for his mate, problem was his mates card got declined at the last moment and it was a frantic mess around to see if he could get hold of his mate to get the pin or anything to get it sorted. never new what happened to that guy shame. was a great experience but won't do it again, to much fuss i may aswel jump on amazon get the best deal and get it delivered for free on the day i work most days so why bother, and my stuff comes to my work and i'm ready to play as soon as i get home

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Me neither. Not even for a console.

I've never done that neither.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I've done it a few times. I'm usually up way past that time anyway, and there is a Gamestop right down the street from my house.

The last time I did it was for Second Son. I could have waited until the morning to get the game, but a couple of my friends were going, and we got some free swag for the midnight launch so not too bad.

tekno0193

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tekno0193
Member since 2013 • 26 Posts

Never done it as a customer but I've work at a retailer at the time Halo 4 and Black Ops II came out. The store was in a mall and everything was closed and dark, really scary, I love the industry but I have to mention that working at that store kinda suck during midnight release, we had to left until like 3 am and then work the next (or same) day just like a regular so.

I'm not complaining, seeing that much people waiting for a game got to me exicted as well, I just wanted to put that side of the coin here 'cause I remember wanting to go home so much that night...

Besides what do you think about the future of midnight releases with the digital pre-order/pre-download now a days?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I had been waiting for Alan Wake , since the very moment I saw the reveal of it . Sadly M$ killed the PC version back then (even though it was announced as PC exclusive) and decided to make it 360 exclusive . When they finally gave Remedy the permission to release it on PC , I was downloading it via steam and woke up at 3am to install and play it . One of very few games that forced me to do so . Same happened back in 90s when my dad gifted me Sega console . Never went outside to buy a game or a system at midnight though .

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

World of Warcraft Cataclysm, and Elder Scrolls Skyrim. The latter was a disappointment because the game was too broken to play once I got it home.

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 stationplay_4
Member since 2014 • 444 Posts

for skyrim

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ariabed

@tekno0193: yeh most people pre order and get a day early and I reckon releasing for digital download at midnight would crash the internet, plus it takes a while downloading a game so some people just can't wait and would rather go cue up.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Adventure Games are awesome.... But they are plagued with alot of Design Flaws.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Never. If I want a game that bad, I preorder it online and have it shipped to my house.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Would've if i could've !

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ariabed

@mjorh: what's stopping you?

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@ariabed said:

@mjorh: what's stopping you?

There is no such thing in our country .....we usually purchase the game digitally and download it ...

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

Only once, for Halo Reach, there was literally 10 people there. so saying I "queued up" is a little bit of a stretch

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I did it for Gears 2, and Skyrim. Doubt I'll ever do it again though(although I'm considering it for Watchdogs), I do most of my gaming on my PC and 3DS now, so I just get digital copies at midnight for the most part.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Never been to one, but I want to at least once in my lifetime.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Behardy24

Might do it for the Destiny Launch.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ariabed

@behardy24: if you do go let us know how it went :)

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

Many times, for both games and consoles. I've always had a blast doing them.

Some of the most memorable for me were GTA: San Andreas, the launch of the original Xbox and also Xbox 360, Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion and, more recently, the launch of the PS4. I've done tons of them, but those were probably the most memorable ones.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I did for skyrim on 11 11 11. Only because I got off work at 11 and drive right by it. I was like last in line. I can't see why people would wait hours there for a game. When ghosts came out there was a tent outside best buy... It's not like it's hard to get.

I waited in line at best buy for a 360 like a month after launch. That was fun we played games and talked about video games all night.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Behardy24

@ariabed said:

@behardy24: if you do go let us know how it went :)

Sure will. :)

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#43  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I did for Dark Souls 2, but never any other time before that. Usually just have games shipped to me through Amazon.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Did it for Skyrim with a few friends, it was fun to hang out and talk about the game, but nothing special. Then went along with other people for Halo 4, Borderlands 2, and one of the CODs (can't remember which, but I remember a lot of obnoxious people in line and really rude Gamestop employees as I waited for a game I wasn't even getting). But other than Skyrim I haven't had the need to go to a midnight release since most games are in stores day one and special editions have to be ordered anyway so I may as well get them shipped to me.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

its on my to do list. nothing has come out in a while that had or will have a midnight launch. i would do it for X on the wiiu but i doubt that will be popular or hyped enough to warrant shops opening at midnight.

the other thing i have to do is champion a dying platform and lament its early demise. im close with the vita (though i dont want it to actually fail). i didnt hype it pre launch nor did i buy it day 1 though so i dont know if it counts.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#46  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i might do it for Watch Dogs

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#47 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Only Halo really

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#48  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Never been to a midnight release before.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Behardy24

@sukraj said:

Never been to a midnight release before.

Me too. From what I've seen in numerous videos, it seems fun.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Behardy24

@c_rakestraw said:

I did for Dark Souls 2, but never any other time before that. Usually just have games shipped to me through Amazon.

That's the way I do it too.