Have you ever played a game until you've suddenly realize that it was a waste of your time? If yes, what game and for how long?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by DaX_Factor (114 posts) 11 months, 16 days ago

Poll: Have you ever played a game until you've suddenly realize that it was a waste of your time? If yes, what game and for how long? (24 votes)

Yes 79%
No 8%
Maybe so 8%
Still playing it... 4%
#1 Edited by SteXmaN (391 posts) -

If i don't like the first 1-2h of the game,mostly the first hour,i don't see the point of playing it. Remember Me(i won't) comes to mind,what a mess of a game that is.

#2 Edited by DerekLoffin (8762 posts) -

Yes, the game was Black and White. I played it for about 12 hours combined time... a good chunk of that while I read a book. And then I realized, this game is so boring, for entertainment I'm reading a book. Why the *bleep* am I playing this?

#3 Edited by Randolph (10478 posts) -

Final Fantasy 11. That damned game was such a grind, it is an MMORPG, I know, but their has to be a better way. Shortly after I quite they lifted exp death penalties, and started having mobs fade and respawn when the players they were chasing zoned. Those improvements may have just helped keep me, but came too little, too late.

#4 Posted by Ish_basic (4001 posts) -

I remember playing Columns back in the day. I was at some ridiculous level...70s or 80s or something...and it just hit me how long I wasted playing this pos. And I promptly shut it off mid-game and have happily avoided puzzle games since, except to occasionally play them with friends and family.

#5 Edited by DaX_Factor (114 posts) -

Rage of Bahamut was the most recent in memory for me. The community kept me involved in the game too long. But after a month...(yes, sometimes I can be dense like that) I was like "Why am I doing this to myself?" I deleted it off my phone and never looked back.

#6 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10571 posts) -

Usually RPGs. And games influenced by RPGs. All that leveling up........ What an addictive bore !

#7 Posted by msulcs (43 posts) -

This can be said about almost every Mobile game. You just play to unlock new stuff, but it doesn't do anything for you or get you further in the game. It's just pointless playing these games

#8 Edited by Lucianu (9364 posts) -

Every MMORPG i've tried fits the bill. Before i even download the game, i'm like "i can't wait to level up, meet people, join a guild and do a lot of epic stuff together!".

And wile in the game after around an hour, i feel extremely bored, so i uninstall. Every single time.

#9 Posted by MirkoS77 (7209 posts) -

No. The minute I feel that it's a waste of time I stop playing.

#10 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

Not really while playing. But afterwards, spending so much time on Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops was stupid when i now know there are so much better games out there. I probably spent over 400 hours on both of them combined

#11 Edited by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

I rarely end up playing games that I don't like, because I know what interests me and I do a decent amount of research before buying.

The last time I played for multiple hours a game that I didn't like is when I played Gears of War. I've been a huge Epic (Megagames) fan ever since I played Jazz Jackrabbit in the 90s, and to me they could do no wrong. So when I played Gears, I really wanted to believe that I could like it, and that it was not an awful, boring game. About halfway through, I gave up on this game, and it turns out that Epic hasn't made a good game since. They even managed to cripple People Can Fly.

#12 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10571 posts) -

^ you didn't play it alone did you ?

#13 Posted by DaX_Factor (114 posts) -
@SteXmaN said:

If i don't like the first 1-2h of the game,mostly the first hour,i don't see the point of playing it. Remember Me(i won't) comes to mind,what a mess of a game that is.

So what is the time limit in a game that you would consider a "waste of time"?

#14 Edited by DaX_Factor (114 posts) -

@msulcs said:

This can be said about almost every Mobile game. You just play to unlock new stuff, but it doesn't do anything for you or get you further in the game. It's just pointless playing these games

I agree with you 100%. If it was built for mobile then it is most likely not worth much of your time.

#15 Posted by t1striker (1549 posts) -

If I feel that way I usually would stop playing it.

#16 Edited by ZEYAAM898 (1921 posts) -

NFS World.

#17 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

Yes, I have. A little game called Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. I actually managed to near the end before I just gave up. Upon completion I found they actually force you to grind out for quite some time to see the real conclusion and at that point I had already endured enough crappy gameplay, piss poor boss battles, unbelievably dumb A.I and countless load screens. I was done, it's the only MGS game I will never ever play again. It was a waste of time, a waste of resources and a waste of talent.

****ing wretched game, complete and utter s**t. It's the only game in recent memory that I truly despise. Just trash, a big load of steamy, crappy, disgusting trash that I will forever be sickened by. I vomit in my mouth everytime I think of this game.

Only that last sentence was exaggerated, everything else I stand by.

#18 Posted by roulettethedog (10963 posts) -

Yes. The only reason that I bought a 360 was to play Alan Wake. After 2+hours of playing, I quit.

#19 Posted by Canvas_Of_Flesh (4052 posts) -

That happens to me with most open world games. I'll play about 5-10 hours of it before I realize I'll probably never see most of what the game has to offer before I get bored with it.

#20 Posted by RimacBugatti (1194 posts) -

Heavy Rain which I played for about 5 minutes and haven't touched it since.

#21 Posted by Jacanuk (4235 posts) -

All games are unless we are talking educational games a waste of time

But no i have never been playing and thought this game is a waste of my time.

#22 Posted by Reptylus (1875 posts) -

All browsergames and most MMORPGs I've played. The times range from 3 to 100 hours.

#23 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Suikoden 3. I loved the first two (especially 2) but the 13 hours I put into three were a slog due to a boring combat system, uninteresting characters, shallow combat and lazy pacing. Many reviewers mentioned that things picked up around the 20 hour mark so I tried to tough it out, but then I realized how insane it was to play a game where I wasn't haven't fun and just traded it in.

#24 Posted by buccomatic (1941 posts) -

#25 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7107 posts) -

Call of Duty

#26 Posted by ARKphoenix2k (320 posts) -

buccomatic that image isn't big enough.

Off the top of my head probably Assassin's Creed III. I was a massive fan of the 2nd game so of course whenever a new game would come out I would pick it up day 1. Brotherhood was OK, Revelations sucked so much ass though but I still finished both. ACIII was the final straw, got to the point where I said "this is a waste of time" and switched the 360 off and never put it back in. I did get it from PS plus recently since it was free, doubt I'll ever play it though.

#27 Edited by Deadpool-n (467 posts) -

Any sim game, including Game Dev.

#28 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2461 posts) -

After about 50 or so hours on any i've MMO i ever played.

It all just a massive waste of time and it's boring as shit.

#29 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17068 posts) -

pokemon diamond. I attempted to build my team using EV/IV training, but then I came to my senses, and realized how asinine the whole concept was. I promptly quit playing the game after that.

#30 Posted by KingsofQueens (2176 posts) -

Shadow of the Colossus (ps3 HD)- stopped caring after the 9th Colossuss.

MGS 2 - enjoyed MGS1 but this made me hate the series as a whole. Played through the end and never picked up the series after it.

#31 Posted by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

Borderlands 2. So much time spent on that game just grinding for levels and collecting rare weapons.

I've played that game so much it literally makes me sick just thinking about playing it again.

#32 Posted by msulcs (43 posts) -

Also MMORPG's are mostly shit. Pointless boring games where the only thing that keeps you playing is to level up and get new armour. And kill new monsters (for hours endlessly grinding) just to level up.

Ofcourse there are some good MMORPG's, but i must say ~90% of them are shit.