Have you ever FORCED yourself to like a game?

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LinkinFate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 LinkinFate
Member since 2004 • 476 Posts

Yeah, I still have FF12 to finish... I bought it close to when it was released.. I think I only got to the first temple.. and after losing to the boss so easily and realizing I had to run around and level up for hours sucked. The other problem with FF12 is that the gameplay was TOO similar to the online FF 11, which I had played for about 3 years. Every other FF was better, but I will eventually beat FF12.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance comes to mind as well, I've even played it recently/ I LOVED Final Fantasy Tactics for PS1.. I still play once in a while.. but FFTA I just keep forgetting about it and I restarted sometime last year because I had gotten halfway through the game, and I forgot how to play, what I had setup.. everytime I play is like relearning the game.

Another game that's been sitting on my laptop installed for month is Knights of the Old Republic. It's a nice game.. its well liked by everyone.. but I can't seem to sit down and play it... I'd rather play FEAR or one of my PS2 titles.

As for other PS2 titles, I'd have to say Xenosaga 2 and Okami doesn't seem to do it for me. They're not bad games.. I just have no interest whatsoever for them. I think I lost or broke my okami disc anyways, I don't remember.

55david55david

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#52 55david55david
Member since 2005 • 487 Posts

When i was little i really wanted the new Stunt tracks game by Hot Wheels. So i manged to convince my Mom to buy it for me.

It was like $70, so when i started playing i wan't really excited with it and didn't like it much. But I forced myself to play it because of how long i had been asking my mom and dad for it, and it was kind of expensive.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I'm forced to like any game I pay full price for when I feel a little letdown by it.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

I tried really hard to like Half-Life, and I even feelas thoughI should have liked it, but I just couldn't really get into it. The interface left much to be desired. And the lead character, while not gameplay related, requires too much disbelief to be suspended.

strider1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 strider1983
Member since 2005 • 184 Posts

Bioshock, traded that sucker in right away.TheMierArmy

yeah for the life of me i coudlnt see what was so great abt the whole thing.. sure the water graphics were pretty good but that alone isnt gonna make me play the whole thing...

ninjabeaver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 ninjabeaver1
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts
No. But I am a completionist and I want to get full money's worth when I purchase a game.
ninjabeaver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 ninjabeaver1
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts
Actually scratch that. I try and experience the best of what the game has to offer if I don't like it.
DocsDeLorean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 DocsDeLorean
Member since 2004 • 2532 Posts
I'm surprised how many people said Bioshock. I played it non-stop until I beat it. One of the best games I played this year. But there are many RPGs out there that I have wanted to like, but would get bored after an hour and turn it off. Call of Duty 3 also comes to mind. I loved CooD2, but 3 felt weird and I just couldn't get into it.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#59 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I'm surprised how many people said Bioshock. I played it non-stop until I beat it. One of the best games I played this year. But there are many RPGs out there that I have wanted to like, but would get bored after an hour and turn it off. Call of Duty 3 also comes to mind. I loved CooD2, but 3 felt weird and I just couldn't get into it.MetalGearRex007

I played it until I beat it as well. After completing the game I was left with the thought: "This is it? Where is all the stuff Levine promised?" One of the major problems with BioShock is that its hype far surpassed what was delivered. It also disappointed many people who were fans of SS2, myself included. It was supposed to be the "spiritual successor" and all it turned out to be was a carbon copy with less of 2's gameplay elements in a new setting.
BobbyTurkalino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: -4

#60 BobbyTurkalino
Member since 2003 • 31460 Posts
That would be Metroid Prime for me. Now I like the game and all, but it just didnt strike me as the greatest thing ever. I prefer the 2D Metroid games.
Macolele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Macolele
Member since 2006 • 534 Posts
Some time I force myself to beat a game I don't like because I want to spend time while no interesting game.
Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#62 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts
I forced myself to play Sacred, C&C Renegede, Metal Arms, Viva Pinata, Okami, Prey, Gothic 1-2. Theres a bunch more, but some of these weren't awful, but just pissed me off with bugs or boring stuff, and I forced myself to play them cause I paid money for em.
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

Shadow of the Colossus. After hearing great things about it for so long, I finally picked it up when it went to the Greatest Hits line. At first, I was very impressed - artistically, the game is really something. But after the 3rd battle or so, I started to realize something: this isn't very fun to play. I kept going as long as could and really tried to like it due to its artistic merits, but eventually I just got fed up with the repetitive gameplay (traverse large empty spaces of landscape, find monster, climb monster, stab monster, fall off, climb again, stab again...) and gave up.The_Pig_Hostage

That is pretty much my response, except I actually beat the game for some reason.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

I've forced myself to buy a game and play it because of all the praise it got, but I can't force myself to have a certain opinion.Ellimist314

Absolutely. If I don't like a game, I can't force myself to like it, regardless of how many other people did.

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#65 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts
Nope.
-Prime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 -Prime-
Member since 2006 • 964 Posts
Not me - if I realize I am not enjoying a particular game that is when I stop playing it.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#67 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

[QUOTE="Ellimist314"]I've forced myself to buy a game and play it because of all the praise it got, but I can't force myself to have a certain opinion.LordAndrew

Absolutely. If I don't like a game, I can't force myself to like it, regardless of how many other people did.

Neither do I. My opinioin doesn't change, although sometimes I wish it would (if I paid full price for the game). So I play through most of it, hoping I'll find something redeeming about it.

Orthrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Orthrand
Member since 2005 • 229 Posts
Oblivion after the first 100 hours it just got old even thogh theres so much i havent seen but cant bring myself to see even in shivering isles or with nights of the nine.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#70 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
I tried. I bought Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer for my 360. It was on sale for only 10.00, for that price it can't be that bad right?Wrong. I kept trying to force myself to like it so I could play through the game to get the achievements. I still have 0 achievements because I can't force myself to like it anymore!!
strider1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 strider1983
Member since 2005 • 184 Posts

I'm surprised how many people said Bioshock. I played it non-stop until I beat it. One of the best games I played this year. But there are many RPGs out there that I have wanted to like, but would get bored after an hour and turn it off. Call of Duty 3 also comes to mind. I loved CooD2, but 3 felt weird and I just couldn't get into it.MetalGearRex007

it all boils to ppl have different tastes.. but yeah some of the rpgs i picked up after persona 3.. i couldnt like them at all. for eg wild arms 5 ..

Kirby911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Kirby911
Member since 2002 • 311 Posts
star wars galaxies, I never really liked MMO games but stuck with it and eventually came to enjoy it.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#73 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts
A few times.
quocthai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 quocthai
Member since 2005 • 1995 Posts
kingdom hearts 2. My friends love it, people go crazy for it and I wanted to like it but after the first mission, the crappy graphic and the mini games that you need to complete to get money turned me off. I couldn't continue
PS360Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#76 PS360Fanboy
Member since 2007 • 2096 Posts

Halo 3.
So hyped -> so disappointed.
hate19

yeah, same here halo 3 was good but it also was a dissapointment

azfar_gila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 azfar_gila
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
currently, skies of arcadia. granted, i'm only 6 hours in, and although i do like it, i'm still not reaching the 'love' status yet. people have been praising it but i still haven't seen the appeal yet. and so far, it's one helluva cliche'd game. hopefully i'll start to love it the more i play it.
quocthai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 quocthai
Member since 2005 • 1995 Posts

currently, skies of arcadia. granted, i'm only 6 hours in, and although i do like it, i'm still not reaching the 'love' status yet. people have been praising it but i still haven't seen the appeal yet. and so far, it's one helluva cliche'd game. hopefully i'll start to love it the more i play it.azfar_gila

oh, yes that game too. I want to love it so much but the amount of random battle and the repetitive and annoying sounds turned me off

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Jbul

currently, skies of arcadia. granted, i'm only 6 hours in, and although i do like it, i'm still not reaching the 'love' status yet. people have been praising it but i still haven't seen the appeal yet. and so far, it's one helluva cliche'd game. hopefully i'll start to love it the more i play it.azfar_gila

Skies Of Arcadia...as in ... the old GC game from like 4 years ago? Heh.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
I think I forced myself to like Zelda TP. I still can't complete it.
Caviglia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Caviglia
Member since 2006 • 1344 Posts
Tried to persevere through Halo 3 but the drudgery and sluggishness eventually got the better of me, I simply do not enjoy it.
Fatality4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#82 Fatality4u
Member since 2003 • 3289 Posts

Bioshock, traded that sucker in right away.TheMierArmy

I really wanted to enjoy that game, but I just didn't.

Ectomy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Ectomy
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts

I think I forced myself to like Zelda TP. I still can't complete it.nopalversion
Likewise, I was just bored out of mymind due to the almost complete absence of original ideas for puzzles, secrets and quests. Pretty much everything you do in the game is simply a variation on a puzzle that you already solved in a past Zelda, which gets old really quickly. TP was the first Zelda which made me feel nothing in particular after I beat it, there was no point where I thought "wow, that was really clever/amazing" because everything about the game that was good was better when I first experienced it in OoT.

Zelda needs a proper Mario Galaxy treatment by Miyamoto, a game as fresh and innovative as Majora's Mask but less anoying and tedious.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#84 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

[QUOTE="azfar_gila"]currently, skies of arcadia. granted, i'm only 6 hours in, and although i do like it, i'm still not reaching the 'love' status yet. people have been praising it but i still haven't seen the appeal yet. and so far, it's one helluva cliche'd game. hopefully i'll start to love it the more i play it.Jbul

It was originally a Dreamcast game.

Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Coyo7e
Member since 2005 • 3672 Posts

Recently I reallyhadto tell myself I liked assasins creed.

Then I was to the half way point in the game and had a lot of hope the second half of the game would pick up..... but wait a minute that was the end of the game? crap that was like only 12 hours in.....

I then tried to play it again and collect every flag. I got about half way through before I finaly admited to myself the game was a massive dissapointment for me and I really did not like it.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

[QUOTE="nopalversion"]I think I forced myself to like Zelda TP. I still can't complete it.Ectomy

Likewise, I was just bored out of mymind due to the almost complete absence of original ideas for puzzles, secrets and quests. Pretty much everything you do in the game is simply a variation on a puzzle that you already solved in a past Zelda, which gets old really quickly. TP was the first Zelda which made me feel nothing in particular after I beat it, there was no point where I thought "wow, that was really clever/amazing" because everything about the game that was good was better when I first experienced it in OoT.

Zelda needs a proper Mario Galaxy treatment by Miyamoto, a game as fresh and innovative as Majora's Mask but less anoying and tedious.

I already kind of felt that way about Wind Waker.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Jbul

[QUOTE="nopalversion"]I think I forced myself to like Zelda TP. I still can't complete it.Ectomy

Absolutely agree. The same thing happened, but to an even larger degree, with Zelda: Phanton Hourglass. The game had absolutely no original ideas or content. I guess they thought the stylus controls were enough innovation, so they could pretty much keep everything else exactly the same - yawn. Not to say it was a bad game, but I couldn't finish it - not even close.

Zelda needs a dramatic makeover. We need something to shock our systems, like OoT did back in the day. All the newer content is pleasing for nostalgic reasons mostly, not because of innovation or sheerly brilliant game design.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Jbul
[QUOTE="Jbul"]

[QUOTE="azfar_gila"]currently, skies of arcadia. granted, i'm only 6 hours in, and although i do like it, i'm still not reaching the 'love' status yet. people have been praising it but i still haven't seen the appeal yet. and so far, it's one helluva cliche'd game. hopefully i'll start to love it the more i play it.LordAndrew

It was originally a Dreamcast game.

That's right! I remember it getting great reviews... kind of a diamond in the rough.

Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#89 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
Tales Of The World Radiant Mythology, thought i was going to love it because it was a Tales game. Hated it, made myself beat it because i bought it new.
MadLordOfMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 MadLordOfMilk
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Final Fantasy 12. The next time I have to GRIND or FARM in a SINGLE PLAYER RPG just to reasonably progress, I'm gonna fly over to where the devs made the game, and poke each of them in the eye with something sharp.

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows, while I loved playing, lasted for less than a day before I beat it, and Fable only took me two days. Between the 3 games I've mentioned, I rent everything now before buying it. Saved me from $30 on RE4 as one example.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#91 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

Can't say I have. I've been disappointed, but never to the point of actually disliking the game but forcing myself to play it.

I have done something similar though, give a game I thought was bad a second try to find the mysterious quality the reviews gave it. Said game is Black & White, and it is probably the one game in existence that I want my time back that I spent playing that piece of dung.

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts

CoD4's multiplayer, I hate it so much, yet I just keep playing thinking "maybe it's just cuz I'm not used to it."

I'm a Captain in the game now, and I still hate it, I'm just giving up on it, it's just an annoying ass game. Maybe it's better on consoles cuz everyone has a controller, so it's less "nerfed".

EdiD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#93 EdiD
Member since 2005 • 115 Posts
I forced myself to play World of Warcraft for 20 hours, after hearing all the good things about it I thought it would get better if I got to a higher level, I was wrong. Their were way too many kill so many _____ to get(number of) ________ quests.
teamking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#94 teamking
Member since 2007 • 61 Posts

I forced myself to like elebees. The time limits screw up the fun :(

Tohru_Readman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#95 Tohru_Readman
Member since 2006 • 450 Posts

Well they have been a couple that I have bought, then traded in because I could get in to them:

Animal Crossing: Found it really really boring after the first couple of hours.

Bioshock: For the first few hours really enjoy iy, then got bored and piss-off, then could be bother starting again.

Ico: "sight"

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
[QUOTE="Ectomy"]

[QUOTE="nopalversion"]I think I forced myself to like Zelda TP. I still can't complete it.Jbul

Absolutely agree. The same thing happened, but to an even larger degree, with Zelda: Phanton Hourglass. The game had absolutely no original ideas or content. I guess they thought the stylus controls were enough innovation, so they could pretty much keep everything else exactly the same - yawn. Not to say it was a bad game, but I couldn't finish it - not even close.

Zelda needs a dramatic makeover. We need something to shock our systems, like OoT did back in the day. All the newer content is pleasing for nostalgic reasons mostly, not because of innovation or sheerly brilliant game design.

Actually, I had more fun playing PH, it seemed more focused. Plus you tend to be more forgiving towards a handheld game.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#97 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Another game I forced myself to like was Half Life 2. I got the game back in early 2005 and played it... I found it amusing for a little while then just got tired of the tedium about right after leaving the Prison. I forced myself into thinking that I in fact liked the game and after beating it I went back to it several times between then and now trying to replay some of the areas. I tried to make it fun by messing with the gravity, the power of the gravity gun, the weapons and their effects among other things. Even then I still couldn't find the game fun. I understand that some people do enjoy it but I just couldn't (other than Ravenholm, the whole game should have been in Ravenholm). I'm quite glad Episode 1 and 2 didn't turn into rehashes of the same boring crap from HL2 and actually turned into something that I could find fun and entertaining.
geo_1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#98 geo_1989
Member since 2007 • 198 Posts

I forced myself to like Deus Ex 2 Invisible War but i soon realised it was a crap game!

Dont force yourself to like games cause its not worth it :?

321HeadWound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 321HeadWound
Member since 2003 • 1130 Posts
I don't have the time to force myself to like games. I only play good ones.