Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 sugistyle
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJlTESnSxzo

Do you think hatred will get banned from platforms like steam? or perhaps even get banned on certain countries? I'm interested to hear what people think.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I think its message will be lost on people these days, because video games aren't violent without purpose anymore. They never have been. This just seems like a poor excuse to shock people.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

It will be unlikely one can find it in Retail stores, I'm unsure about Steam however. And a ban in certain countries is likely. Most likely they'll have to sell it through their own website.

That said, I don't think it's because the game is too violent that people are outraged because frankly the more recent Mortal Kombat games are much more violent and gory. I think it's more of the setting and that It feels closer to home considering the school shootings and whatnot. Just like the "No Russian" scene in Modern Warfare 2. There wasn't heads flying or arms and legs torn off in explosions so in therms of Violence it was less Ultra violent, but the setting still shocked people. The same seems to be the case with Hatred. I also think the whole "Gun and run without a goal" put in the setting caused a reaction since Violence in games are justified in some way, Such as the enemy shooting back at you, they are the clear case bad guys, and to pull up GTA style games that you can shoot, stab, punch, drive over or blow up civilians but only if you choose to do so. Hatred simply goes "Shoot as many people in the game as you can until you die", no justification and very little reason to do so besides that the main character hates everything. It removes the justification entirely and, as far as I'm concerned, either deliberatly or not makes us look at the violence and reflect on the things we usually do in games.

If anything I think this is a great debunk of the whole " Violence in games makes gamers desensitized to violence. " Because it shows people can see the difference between fiction and reality, it also shows we can get shocked by it and how we react if we stop and think back on how we've played violent games before. It makes you question yourself and some either accept it or flat out pushes it away. If intentional or not by the developers, it's what lies in the core of the whole reaction to the game.

sugistyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sugistyle

@Treflis said:

It will be unlikely one can find it in Retail stores, I'm unsure about Steam however. And a ban in certain countries is likely. Most likely they'll have to sell it through their own website.

That said, I don't think it's because the game is too violent that people are outraged because frankly the more recent Mortal Kombat games are much more violent and gory. I think it's more of the setting and that It feels closer to home considering the school shootings and whatnot. Just like the "No Russian" scene in Modern Warfare 2. There wasn't heads flying or arms and legs torn off in explosions so in therms of Violence it was less Ultra violent, but the setting still shocked people. The same seems to be the case with Hatred. I also think the whole "Gun and run without a goal" put in the setting caused a reaction since Violence in games are justified in some way, Such as the enemy shooting back at you, they are the clear case bad guys, and to pull up GTA style games that you can shoot, stab, punch, drive over or blow up civilians but only if you choose to do so. Hatred simply goes "Shoot as many people in the game as you can until you die", no justification and very little reason to do so besides that the main character hates everything. It removes the justification entirely and, as far as I'm concerned, either deliberatly or not makes us look at the violence and reflect on the things we usually do in games.

If anything I think this is a great debunk of the whole " Violence in games makes gamers desensitized to violence. " Because it shows people can see the difference between fiction and reality, it also shows we can get shocked by it and how we react if we stop and think back on how we've played violent games before. It makes you question yourself and some either accept it or flat out pushes it away. If intentional or not by the developers, it's what lies in the core of the whole reaction to the game.

very good points here

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

They will censor it so hard

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

it says hatred gameplay but the video shows nothing more than what was seen in the trailer and the most common opinion of the game commentated over it.

sugistyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sugistyle

@humanistpotato yeah that will take lot of work though ;D

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Does this game have any value beyond its Violence ?

Even Dead Or Alive had Depth beyond its Boob Physics.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@sugistyle said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJlTESnSxzo

Do you think hatred will get banned from platforms like steam? or perhaps even get banned on certain countries? I'm interested to hear what people think.

What a lame attempt at advertising your youtube shit, and at least if you want to advertise it be honest, this just made me skip it.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Not more violent than other violent games I play.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

Yes I definitely think that it's too violent of a game. I enjoy some pretty violent games but it's generally focused on survival against monsters, aliens, demons, bad guys, etc. This game just looks repulsive to me.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I don't see the big deal, I and millions others will pop people off in GTA if they so much as mouth off to me or look at me funny (if I'm in the mood)... funny this is where people draw the line.

sugistyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sugistyle

@lamprey263: the actual objective in GTA is not kill people around. It doesn't enforce it.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#14 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I've already debated this long enough. I'm just going to leave it at the fact that the ESRB will slap an AO on this game and it will never see the light of day in the states.

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kakamoura
Member since 2014 • 222 Posts

How can clicking on pixels be violent?

Assuming we can distinguish between reality and video games.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts
Loading Video...

if the gamer offends you, this trailer is better for you

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

u could do this in videogames since gta3 so next

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Archangel3371

For me it's not enough to simply say that since you can kill innocent pedestrians in GTA games then doing so in Hatred is the exact same thing. Seeing a woman beg for her life only to be casually and cold-bloodedly be shot in the head creates something that I find to be much more emotional and disturbing then any kind of violence that I've played in any other game.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#20 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Are people so dense now that even gamers will say games cause violence? We've already had GTA, Manhunt, Postal, etc. What the hell people? Research has shown us several times that games and real world violence have no link to each other. Why the hell should this be any different. If anyone is going to go out and shoot people just because of this game, means that they were not right in the head to begin with...

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

Are people so dense now that even gamers will say games cause violence? We've already had GTA, Manhunt, Postal, etc. What the hell people? Research has shown us several times that games and real world violence have no link to each other. Why the hell should this be any different. If anyone is going to go out and shoot people just because of this game, means that they were not right in the head to begin with...

I don't think it's so much that people are arguing that this game will cause violence, it's that they're actually being.......*gasp*..... offended by it. Gosh knows that violence, we want ours to be, y'know.....violence!! Sugar-coated and sweet. We can't actually SEE what violence can really bring to the table, oh no.....that'd be just too much to handle.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

I think the controversy around this game says a lot about gamers and their true views on violence. It's like they go from being perfectly fine with it to being disgusted by it simply because it lacks some cheap, poorly written story which gives the mindless killing a context with which they can justify their actions. Why is nobody horrified when someone goes on a random killing spree in GTA? Is it because the story doesn't portray the character as a mass killer? Does that somehow make the violence more acceptable? Like I've been saying, it's morally inconsistent.

@sugistyle said:

@lamprey263: the actual objective in GTA is not kill people around. It doesn't enforce it.

They may not explicitly tell you to kill, but it's built into the games design. If anything, most games trivialize killing, and so does "Hatred", but to a lesser extend I would say.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I've been killing people violently in video games since Mortal Kombat came out in the Arcade. Hatred is no big deal it's just another game.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

For me it's not enough to simply say that since you can kill innocent pedestrians in GTA games then doing so in Hatred is the exact same thing. Seeing a woman beg for her life only to be casually and cold-bloodedly be shot in the head creates something that I find to be much more emotional and disturbing then any kind of violence that I've played in any other game.

If this is the only videogame you've seen people beg for their life, you need to play more vidyagames breh, this is absolutely nothing new. Heck, in GTA, pedestrians would shout "Please don't kill me" if they're in a dangerous situation and they'll flee for help, I don't see any difference here - except Hatred simply does it with better animations and voice acting.

@PernicioEnigma said:

I think the controversy around this game says a lot about gamers and their true views on violence. It's like they go from being perfectly fine with it to being disgusted by it simply because it lacks some cheap, poorly written story which gives the mindless killing a context with which they can justify their actions. Why is nobody horrified when someone goes on a random killing spree in GTA? Is it because the story doesn't portray the character as a mass killer? Does that somehow make the violence more acceptable? Like I've been saying, it's morally inconsistent.

@sugistyle said:

They may not explicitly tell you to kill, but it's built into the games design. If anything, most games trivialize killing, and so does "Hatred", but to a lesser extend I would say.

I don't understand what game everybody is playing when they play GTA.

In GTA, the stories DO portray the main character as a mass killer. It's just a lot more light-hearted than Hatred, but in the end, there's not a single GTA game you can progress in unless you kill innocent people at some point, and lots of them. The only difference I can spot between GTA and Hatred is that it's not pretending to be something it isn't. Because we all GTA isn't really about stealing cars.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Archangel3371

@KHAndAnime: Well whatever. The way she begs for her life and is killed strikes me as way too unsettling for my taste.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Last_Ride

@MirkoS77 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I don't think it's so much that people are arguing that this game will cause violence, it's that they're actually being.......*gasp*..... offended by it. Gosh knows that violence, we want ours to be, y'know.....violence!! Sugar-coated and sweet. We can't actually SEE what violence can really bring to the table, oh no.....that'd be just too much to handle.

Maybe this game is a commentary on the mass murderers, who knows? But everyone is being so shocked by this. We have seen this before already!

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 593

#27  Edited By hxce
Member since 2006 • 2099 Posts

I never understood the controversy on violent video games. This game isnt anything different than any violent Rockstar game, at least in terms of what you can do to innocent people.

Hatred is just the modern Postal. Cant wait to be playing this!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Doom and Mortal Kombat were "too violent" at their time, and look where we came since then.

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By hxce

I mean the guy in this video obiviously doesnt understand the underground community. There are many underground movies for example that do fucked up shit to humans. Maniac is one example but that movie isnt really THAT dark even if it's dark, but im sure it's a great mellow example that would put this pussy off.

If the game is to violent just dont bother it and move on, the developers don't even want people like this guy in the video to play it anyway. Don't crucify people telling them they are psychopaths just for wanting to play these kind of games.

He also says that Rockstar does it in a "fun type kind of way" which is supposed to make killing innocent people more acceptable. Maybe these Hatred developers want to give gamers another perspective on what your actually doing in your game. Just because GTA has less blood and funny protagonist doesnt mean it's LESS voilent. It's just two sides of the same fucking coin. What a fucking hypocrite.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JustPlainLucas

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Maybe this game is a commentary on the mass murderers, who knows? But everyone is being so shocked by this. We have seen this before already!

It's this. It's not the violence itself that has people in an uproar. Hell, there are a lot of games that make the violence in Hatred seem like a Mario game. What makes the violence in Hatred seem worse is the way it's framed. People love violence, but they also want to justify it. Hatred doesn't allow them to do that.

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hxce

@JustPlainLucas: Then don't play the game.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Archangel3371

@hxce said:

I don't think he plans to and neither do I he's just explaing how he feels how this is different to how violence has been portrayed in other games.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JustPlainLucas

@hxce said:

I don't plan to, nor do I have plans to ban the game's release. All I'm simply saying is why people who've always enjoyed violent video games suddenly won't play Hatred.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 The_Last_Ride

@JustPlainLucas said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

It's this. It's not the violence itself that has people in an uproar. Hell, there are a lot of games that make the violence in Hatred seem like a Mario game. What makes the violence in Hatred seem worse is the way it's framed. People love violence, but they also want to justify it. Hatred doesn't allow them to do that.

I would argue that Postal and Manhunt are the same

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

@kakamoura said:

This is always my argument, if you cant determine the difference between fantasy (in this case a videogame) and reality then really what games you play is the least of your problems.

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hxce

@JustPlainLucas: Yeah, sorry mate. It was late. Haha

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JustPlainLucas

@l34052 said:

@kakamoura said:

This is always my argument, if you cant determine the difference between fantasy (in this case a videogame) and reality then really what games you play is the least of your problems.

Well, it has more to do with the act of wanting to do something than it is killing pixels. It can fester in some disturbed individuals, without them even really knowing until they snap. Honestly, it's hard to catch someone who's mentally ill until a violent symptom arises. How many times have we heard of shooters always being described as "a nice guy"?

I'm not saying that games cause violent behavior, but it can encourage it in individuals who are more prone to be violent themselves. This is why I view Hatred's theme as more destructive than other games who use over the top violence to comic effect. Even Postal was so much of a parody, it was practically a cartoon.

There's a layer of distinction between fantasy and fiction that I think gets completely erased with Hatred. As I said before, Hatred has no justification for its violence and has no comical aesthetic. It's a very dark, brooding, and well, hate filled game. It honestly doesn't matter to me whether you can distinguish between fiction and fantasy. It's why you even want to enact mass murder like this in the first place.

Kaidensk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By Kaidensk
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

The difference of Mortal Kombat and this game Hatred is that in Hatred you see him just shooting up a random innocent women in the street. In Kombat it's a fighting game.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sabretooth2066
Member since 2013 • 402 Posts

AGAIN !?!?!?!? reading through this thread makes me feel like its GROUNDHOG DAY! or a pretty shitty version of an EDGE OF TOMORROW

first my HATRED thread with thousands of clicks and hundreds of replies with a shotload of arguments for and against this game and now the same shitload of arguments starting AGAIN in another thread which is AGAIN about HATRED resuming in the same answers AGAIN by mostly the same people...AGAIN

do you people ever use the search function before starting a new thread ?

xophershaw8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xophershaw8

@sugistyle:

MAYBE(?) the reason there's so much mayhem is because our game engine technology is still too limited. If our virtual bodies are nothing more than vehicles we use to drive around the virtual world, mayhem is the most interesting game in town. I'm trying to introduce a new technology - virtual characters with automated emotions and "feelings". Please peek at this video and give me feedback, so I (we) can try -- in the future -- to tune this technology to match what experienced people would like to see in their games. The goal is NOT to eliminate violence. The goal is to ADD emotion and compassion.

Loading Video...

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MirkoS77

@JustPlainLucas said:

There's a layer of distinction between fantasy and fiction that I think gets completely erased with Hatred. As I said before, Hatred has no justification for its violence and has no comical aesthetic. It's a very dark, brooding, and well, hate filled game. It honestly doesn't matter to me whether you can distinguish between fiction and fantasy. It's why you even want to enact mass murder like this in the first place.

Hatred has every justification for the type of violence and the manner in its portrayal, far more than any other game on the market that may even go farther in their graphical depiction of it: it's found in the name. It's annoying that people continually say this game has absolutely NO justification for it when it has the best, most honest one of all. Nothing justifies the type of abhorrent behavior found in Hatred better than the word hatred itself can say. Just because you and everyone else are discomforted by it doesn't mean it is not a valid one.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sabretooth2066

lol the same discussion with the same arguments starts again, well to throw in my 5 cents (again).....

cant wait for the game, showed it to a few guys at work and they are pretty impressed by the style/graphics and way how the brutality is shown on screen, now those guys arent the type of guys playing every shooter out there....hell they dont even play COD and they dont even know what POSTAL is, but theyre kinda impressed.....

...now i think if theres a little more to the game than just the mindless brutality...like missions, sidemissions, achievments (something like "kill 40 innocents with a sawed-off-shotgun under 2 minutes" LOL) and difficulty levels....i think the game will just kick ass!!!

but its way too soon to argue about the game being shitty or not, we all just saw a trailer with a few cutscenes, finishing moves and gameplay clips, fact is we still dont know shit about the game mechanics, mission design, gameplay etc.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MirkoS77

I hope this game has co-op!! YEAAAAAA. Achievements! YEEEAAAAA. Mods! YEEAAAAAAAAAA.

There, some new discussion. Happy?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I would argue that Postal and Manhunt are the same

Except Manhunt and Postal are more horror games and your primary enemy is law enforcement (Postal) or violent gang members (Manhunt).

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By sabretooth2066

i remember some guys even claimed MANHUNT isnt as brutal and perverted like HATRED, but if i remember manhunt and some ways how to kill people..NO MATTER IF BAD OR INNOCENT, that guy in manhunt was just a sick freak and i doubt the guy in hatred has worse killing-styles than the character in manhunt, now please really stop worrying for those damn "innocent" pixels in hatred

DuaIFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DuaIFace
Member since 2009 • 581 Posts

This game ain't NOTHING. OP, go look up ManHunt.

xophershaw8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 xophershaw8

Question 1: are gamers in general happy with the state of the technology, or would they like to see deeper characters and feel more emotional bonding?

Question 2: Is there any such thing as "gamers in general"?

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

It isn't the violence which is to much, it's the manor of how and why your carrying it out, screams wrong wrong wrong, I mean killing innocent people and that's what the game in tails you to do. I think the media will have a field day with this game and I really think it makes the video game industry even worse, i know it isn't but god dam news outlets will jump on this, and to tell you the truth, a game like this should never be made, do video games make people go out and kill people???? No of course not, you have to have a strange mind anyway, but will this game reach those individuals on the edge and maybe push them over because of the glorified essence of a game like this, I believe it will, I mean yes killing is in every game, but it's the tone of the game and the reasoning behind it which makes it have a purpose, this game just shows you, he has one purpose and thats to kill everyone, just seems a little to extreme.

sp1r1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sp1r1t
Member since 2004 • 153 Posts

If the main problem people have with this game is the objective, then I guess they would have a problem with Plague Inc: Evolved too, as in that game your purpose is to kill the entire world (not just infect, kill). You are causing a lot more pain and horror in that game than the guy in Hatred, you just don't have to watch it up close. Is pressing a button to launch a nuke at a city a better thing than going on a killing spree with an assault rifle because you don't have to watch the suffering you cause? I personally think both are wrong in real life, and equally I'm okay with both in a game. It's no more violent than other games on the market, and there already exist games with a similar objective. I think it would be silly to ban this. It doesn't really do anything that other games haven't done. I really wonder how many people that claim that the objective is the main problem of the game have said the same about Plague Inc (I'm guessing not many).

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 sabretooth2066

@sp1r1t said:

If the main problem people have with this game is the objective, then I guess they would have a problem with Plague Inc: Evolved too, as in that game your purpose is to kill the entire world (not just infect, kill). You are causing a lot more pain and horror in that game than the guy in Hatred,

haha great comparison

i still think most people´s main problem with hatred isnt even that they kill innocents, its just the graphic way how the game shows it including all those "innocent"-screams, innocents begging for their life etc.

because as you said, in PLAGUE INC. youre actually far worse than the guy in hatred, you just kill the whole world population with all kinds of terrible viral infects and on, but since the graphic of PLAGUE INC. is limited and doesnt show any kind of innocent people suffering....they all dont complain about that game

..actually, when i look at the current ebola problem our world has to face, which is a real threat, those peope complaining about hatred should as well complain about PLAGUE INC. then, coz whats with all those people dying of ebola today and some sit at home playing around with all kinds of funny ebola-like viruses killing the whole goddamn world with it..having a huge grin on their face...well at least i have a wide grin on my face when i play PLAGUE INC. and get the news that my "ebola_v2"-virus just killed half of the world´s population.