Has this year been as good as we wanted it to be?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

For me personally, it's been a good year. Wolf Among Us, Destiny, Walking Dead Season 2, Watch Dogs, Grid Autosport and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor have been excellent games for me so far. I've still yet to try out some other game i have in my backlog. But for me i've not been as dissapointed as others have been this year. It has been a pretty solid year for me except for the disaster that still is Driveclub. But other than that, i am pretty happy with my games.

The first few months of the year were slow and i did not make any real effort into paying attention to the new generation. I jumped back into Last gen to cut through my backlog. But the last few months i've been going back to my PS4 way more than i have before. There are just more games avaliable now that i like that has made me jump into the new generation.

There has been an unfortunate development with broken games being released and i really don't hope that this is where the industry is going. Because letting the biggest fans be beta testers is not a good way to get them coming back to the franchise and giving the company more money. It hasn't been a good year for some that have been unfortunate buying all these broken games.

Last year was more stable and in my opinion had a better overall year. We had 3 big games that most people seemed to like. Bioshock Infinite, Last of Us and GTA V. There were loads of other games, but those were the big ones for many. By the looks of it, 2015 will be a good year to look forward to. With a lot of games coming to next gen exclusively.

Hopefully they will learn not to release a game to early and have a fully playable game for the costumers. Because having such a concerning development in games is not good for the industry in the long run.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Any year better than 2012 is always a good year.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

As a PC, Wii U and 3DS owner (or New 3DSXL now, thanks to being Australian)...it has been a tremendously good year for gaming.

I simply don't have time to play through all of the great games that came out in October, let alone earlier in the year. I'm one epsiode deep into three different episodic series, I've got three games being shipped to me right now, I'll pick up another one later this week, and...I'm hurtling towards some kind of breaking point where I can't possibly decide which game to play.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

Should a good year only include games released in that year? Because well, I don't think I've played any game released in 2014. Still, I had a great year.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm more than satisfied with my gaming purchases for 2014

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor was a blast to play. This year, the games that generated the least hype were among the best. All the over-hyped bullcrap failed.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

2012 literally killed my interest in gaming for a whole year and a half until The Last of Us came out.

I don't exactly want to speak for others, but I think we expected different games to succeed than the ones that did, and we're all both a little disappointed and pleasantly surprised by quite a few things.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@top_lel

To be fair, this Forum is running out of talented hype thread creators who make hype threads for theres rare good games that aren't marketed as much..... Hell I don't think even Crimes and Punishments or Infinity 2.0 got decent hype threads.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu

@ianhh6

Exactly..... Plus we can't trust reviewers anymore to tell us which games would actually be worth out time, some websites skip certain games all together.... Gotta find those hidden gems ourselves.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Catalli  Moderator

@Lulu_Lulu: God no. MCC has an 86 on metacritic O.o it's like they didn't even play the game. For what it's worth though, I still trust GS reviews.

As for finding hidden gems I just let you guys do it and read about 'em here :P

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 The_Last_Ride

@Lulu_Lulu said:

touche mate, touche

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

it's not been a stellar year but it's picked up a little towards the end. i've grabbed a ton of bargains off steam throughout the year but, as far as mainstream gaming goes, alien isolation and shadow of mordor are the only highlights of the year for me. destiny, watch dogs, wolfenstein and thief were all disappointing in their own way, with thief taking the crown of biggest let down for me personally, being such a big fan of stealth games and the original trilogy

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44156 Posts

Oh yeah 2014 has been a great year for me. I picked up a lot of excellent games for the Xbox One throughout the year, picked up a Wii U, and bought a couple of great Wii U games that were recently released. Just off the top of my head here are some of this year's game's that I picked up and enjoyed so far:

• Titanfall
  • Watch Dogs
  • Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition
  • Destiny
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • The Evil Within
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

For me personally, it's been a good year. Wolf Among Us, Destiny, Walking Dead Season 2, Watch Dogs, Grid Autosport and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor have been excellent games for me so far. I've still yet to try out some other game i have in my backlog. But for me i've not been as dissapointed as others have been this year. It has been a pretty solid year for me except for the disaster that still is Driveclub. But other than that, i am pretty happy with my games.

The first few months of the year were slow and i did not make any real effort into paying attention to the new generation. I jumped back into Last gen to cut through my backlog. But the last few months i've been going back to my PS4 way more than i have before. There are just more games avaliable now that i like that has made me jump into the new generation.

There has been an unfortunate development with broken games being released and i really don't hope that this is where the industry is going. Because letting the biggest fans be beta testers is not a good way to get them coming back to the franchise and giving the company more money. It hasn't been a good year for some that have been unfortunate buying all these broken games.

Last year was more stable and in my opinion had a better overall year. We had 3 big games that most people seemed to like. Bioshock Infinite, Last of Us and GTA V. There were loads of other games, but those were the big ones for many. By the looks of it, 2015 will be a good year to look forward to. With a lot of games coming to next gen exclusively.

Hopefully they will learn not to release a game to early and have a fully playable game for the costumers. Because having such a concerning development in games is not good for the industry in the long run.

Good question Ride

For me 2014 have been decent enough but with a lot of subpar games, Watch Dogs, Unity, Beyond Earth, Mordor. 2013 on the other hand was a crazy year with a lot of absolute gems, Black Flag, Papers Please, Risk of Rain, Walking Dead, Beyond two souls, Brutal Legend coming to pc, Guacamelee, EU IV

So i hope 2015 with GTA V finally being released on the best platform will be a lot better than 2014.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Last_Ride

@top_lel said:

Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor was a blast to play. This year, the games that generated the least hype were among the best. All the over-hyped bullcrap failed.

True, but there have been a lot of re-released games. Wolfenstein also made a bump by overdoing it in the ratings

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

No. I was especially let down by how bad Dragon Age Inquisition turned out to be.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#16  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I've seen very little that's excited me this year.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu

@ianhh6

I don't think it works that way... Even mainstream games are diverse.... One who seeks hidden gems is looking something really specific... Chances are only handfull of people will really apreciate it to its fullest.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Catalli  Moderator

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ianhh6

I don't think it works that way... Even mainstream games are diverse.... One who seeks hidden gems is looking something really specific... Chances are only handfull of people will really apreciate it to its fullest.

Our definition of hidden gems are probably pretty different though. To you my definition is probably a lot more like "perfectly mainstream games with the only difference that gaming sites haven't been bloating their front page with news about them". Also "games that are most likely mainstream but 5 or 6 years old so they aren't news anymore but I missed them when they came out and now have an awesome half-decade old game to play".

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#19  Edited By SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Yeah, it's been a pretty good year. Have yet to see a bad year actually

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

There hasn't been many games that I've really wanted to get.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#21 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I've enjoyed this year so far. Granted, last year brought about new additions to my all-time favorites list, but that was pure luck that it happened that way. I've had reliable entertainment from this year's gaming picks, such as my current favorites:

• South Park: The Stick of Truth
  • Dark Souls 2
  • Infamous: Second Son
  • Watch Dogs
  • The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
  • Five Nights at Freddy's
  • Destiny
  • Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

I still need to play Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Evil Within, Alien: Isolation, This War of Mine, and Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition, but so far I've enjoyed many games released in 2014. Not the greatest year for me in gaming, but it's been pretty damn good so far.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#22 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

New Pokemon. Woo!

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@top_lel said:

True, but there have been a lot of re-released games. Wolfenstein also made a bump by overdoing it in the ratings

Yeah it certainly felt that way that this year, we had the most 'nostalgia' trip games than we ever had before. Not that it's a bad thing when it brought such good games to table like Blinding of Isaac:Rebirth, Wolfenstein The New Order etc

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 The_Last_Ride

@SovietsUnited said:

Yeah, it's been a pretty good year. Have yet to see a bad year actually

2012 wasn't really a big year for me