Has Rockstar Games ever made a HORRIBLE game?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TerragonSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 TerragonSix
Member since 2010 • 390 Posts

I was thinking about it, and here are some titles that Rockstar has in their resume...

GTA Series

Red Dead Series

Smuggler's Run

My question is, have they ever laid a BIG time egg on a game? Have they made something that was horrible?

I can't think of anything... which is weird, because I usually have a good memory of sucky games.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Both GTASA and RDR had horrible stories. They were very well made games, but suffered from god awful writing and padding beyond anything tolerable.

FreshDimSum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 FreshDimSum
Member since 2008 • 605 Posts

Both GTASA and RDR had horrible stories. They were very well made games, but suffered from god awful writing and padding beyond anything tolerable.

foxhound_fox
+1 the only game i ever liked from R* was vice city. thats only because the 80's rock.
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#4 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
Really just comes down to everyone's opinion really, I never liked Smuggler's Run that much.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
Look up "State of Emergency", "Max Payne" and "Oni". Beyond Horrible they all were.
TerragonSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TerragonSix
Member since 2010 • 390 Posts

Look up "State of Emergency", "Max Payne" and "Oni". Beyond Horrible they all were.nini200

Wow... I didn't think any of those games were horrible... Out of the list, State of Emergency was the worst, but it was just a beat em up.. I wouldn't say it sucked horribly though. Max Payne was pretty good on the PC... Oni was an interesting hybrid in and of itself.

If those are the worst games they produced, I dunno, that's not too bad.

I always thought the PS1 GTA's were the worst. Graphics weren't up to par for the PS1. More like SNES.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#7 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
State of Emergency was beyond horrible. =P
Kvothe_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kvothe_Stark
Member since 2010 • 360 Posts

Look up "State of Emergency", "Max Payne" and "Oni". Beyond Horrible they all were.nini200

Max Payne, horrible? You opinion is invalid. :lol:

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

Thats the awesome thing about Rockstar, they don't make crappy games.

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

State of Emergency was just awful

blaqphantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 blaqphantom
Member since 2010 • 1829 Posts
rockstar didn't develop State of Emergency just published it, same goes for Max Payne except for the xbox/ps2 port and Oni except the ps2 port. other than those 3 "bad marks" (which imo weren't amazingly bad) against them i reckon rockstar along with blizzard and bioware have the most consistent track reckon with a couple of minor bumps along the way.
evil_angel74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 evil_angel74
Member since 2007 • 988 Posts
I didn't think SoE or Oni were terrible, not on the same level as the rest of their games but not the kind of games that would go in a "Worst of (Year)" list. And saying Max Payne is awful is just silly business. Even if you don't like the series, it has a huge following and is critically acclaimed. Manhunt 2 could also go in the list of not so great R* games. They have definitely published some bad games but that isn't something that they made.
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

State of Emergency and Oni were pretty bad.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts
Manhunt 2 wasn't that great, but far from "horrible"
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
In before someone says GTA IV, the best reviewed game of this generation. And no Rockstar is a pretty good developer. Manhunt 2 would be their worst game i think, but the game is not bad at all.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

In before someone says GTA IV, the best reviewed game of this generation. And no Rockstar is a pretty good developer. Manhunt 2 would be their worst game i think, but the game is not bad at all.GeneralShowzer

And yet, some of their GTA games, such as Vice City, were plagued with glitches and bugs like you wouldn't believe and they still got high scores, which I thought was completely ridiculous.

ver7ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ver7ex
Member since 2010 • 47 Posts

Max Payne was great. But they spoiled it with second version, where the story wasn't finished at all.

LionsBridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LionsBridge
Member since 2010 • 122 Posts
Oni was a terrible game.
Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

i thought GTAIV was pretty horrible

LionsBridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LionsBridge

Harisemo
Gta IV was in no way horrible, but I think it was overrated. no way did it deserve so many 10/10's
chaosflare44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 chaosflare44
Member since 2009 • 601 Posts
[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

LionsBridge
Gta IV was in no way horrible, but I think it was overrated. no way did it deserve so many 10/10's

I agree. While GTAIV wasn't necessarily bad, there were so many problems with it I don't see how it could have ever gotten perfect scores. It had sloppy controls, shallow gameplay, terrible graphics (granted it is a two year old game), and I found most of the characters to be really annoying. GTAIV did have its moments, but I personally feel it was severely overrated.
LionsBridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LionsBridge
[QUOTE="chaosflare44"][QUOTE="LionsBridge"][QUOTE="Harisemo"]

I agree. While GTAIV wasn't necessarily bad, there were so many problems with it I don't see how it could have ever gotten perfect scores. It had sloppy controls, shallow gameplay, terrible graphics (granted it is a two year old game), and I found most of the characters to be really annoying. GTAIV did have its moments, but I personally feel it was severely overrated.

I dont think the graphics were bad, but I did find the overall gameplay quite redundant and shooting was the biggest pain.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#24 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
State of Emergency is the worst thing they put their name on. My playthrough of Red Dead Redemption was littered with more bugs and glitches than both my playthroughs of Alpha Protocol and New Vegas put together.
Avatar image for deactivated-57f6810aefea1
deactivated-57f6810aefea1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 deactivated-57f6810aefea1
Member since 2009 • 497 Posts

I can appreciate that RDR and GTA series are objectively good games. They just dont really do anything for me. I got quite bored with both to be honest.

Not really played any of their other games to make a judgement tho...

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

GTA 4 was a horrible game. It is there normal revenge story but they just pop new characters end and out so fast. The mission where not good. Worse of all the horrible city layout. I quit because of it was a pain to drive around the city.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="LionsBridge"][QUOTE="Harisemo"]

chaosflare44

GTA IV was and will always be overrated. That game had a lot of problems going for it, but a lot of reviewers chose to ignore them and see the game for something else altogether, which is something I'll never understand to this day. Was the story good? Yes. Were the missions fun? Yes. But Rockstar should have improved it on other fronts, such as the shooting set pieces or the missions where you chase down someone, which were redundant and stale. GTA IV is NOT a perfect game - not a single game is. You can always look back at a game and go "This should have been improved on, that should have been added" etc. I refuse to believe there's sublime perfection in videogaming, because there isn't.

GTA IV is far from perfect.

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
State of emergency, OMG that game was horrible i hated it.
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
[QUOTE="smerlus"]State of Emergency is the worst thing they put their name on. My playthrough of Red Dead Redemption was littered with more bugs and glitches than both my playthroughs of Alpha Protocol and New Vegas put together.

Wierd didn't have any glitches, get a new copy.
Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#30 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
I loved Smuggler's Run but everyone I know thinks its average. I hated GTA4's Mechanics but loved the story.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#31 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

They haven't made plain horrible games for as far I know, but I'm very sceptical about Rockstar. I have to give them credit for having a clear vision that shines through in nearly all of their games (freedom, twisted humour, emphasis on fun), but I do think they get a bit too much praise as their track record isn't spotless.

Take Red Dead Revolver, for example, the predecessor of Red Dead Redemption (and you'd be surprised at how few people actually realise RDR is a sequel), and it was ignored with a reason. It was an arcade-styIe third person shooter, and it exposed how much Rockstar relies on content, writing and freedom rather than core gameplay. This game was linear, not written very well and the content was underwhelming. What remained was the core gameplay, and it wasn't enough to carry the game. It was yet another weak, run-of-the-mill, obscure PS2 game by numbers.

And that's really my main problem with Rockstar games. In terms of gameplay, they're really a one-trick pony. Yahtzee described the sandbox genre as 'it's like GTA, but', and while I don't agree with that completely, this applies to nearly every game Rockstar has made. Midnight Club takes the flawed driving mechanics from GTA and gives them their own stage; The Warriors expanded on the combat system of GTA and made for a pretty enjoyable brawler; Bully sets the GTA concept in a school environment that feels a bit more confined than the diverse cities we're used to; Red Dead Revolver takes the terrible gunplay from GTA, making for a very disappointing game; Manhunt builds on the stealth gameplay of GTA, etc. etc. etc.

Adding to that, their games are often pretty clumsy, with silly AI and horrible gunplay, with the only difficulty often resulting from redundant, flawed gameplay moments rather than genuine challenge. Me and my friends tend to refer to them as 'Rockstar moments' as every Rockstar game has them, bar maybe GTA IV.

So no, they haven't made downright horrible games, but they are often rather simplistic in terms of gameplay, and instead make games that are more than the sum of their parts at first glance, but fall apart when played thoroughly.

Oh look, it turned out to be a rant.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

[...] "Max Payne" [...] Beyond Horrible [...]nini200

Does not compute.

[...] My playthrough of Red Dead Redemption was littered with more bugs and glitches than both my playthroughs of Alpha Protocol and New Vegas put together.smerlus

I got stuck in walls and rocks more times than I can remember.

killzonexbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 killzonexbox
Member since 2010 • 3019 Posts

manhunt 2...

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#34 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Rockstar didn't make any of those games. Besides, Max Payne is great.

They haven't made plain horrible games for as far I know, but I'm very sceptical about Rockstar. I have to give them credit for having a clear vision that shines through in nearly all of their games (freedom, twisted humour, emphasis on fun), but I do think they get a bit too much praise as their track record isn't spotless.

Take Red Dead Revolver, for example, the predecessor of Red Dead Redemption (and you'd be surprised at how few people actually realise RDR is a sequel), and it was ignored with a reason. It was an arcade-styIe third person shooter, and it exposed how much Rockstar relies on content, writing and freedom rather than core gameplay. This game was linear, not written very well and the content was underwhelming. What remained was the core gameplay, and it wasn't enough to carry the game. It was yet another weak, run-of-the-mill, obscure PS2 game by numbers.

And that's really my main problem with Rockstar games. In terms of gameplay, they're really a one-trick pony. Yahtzee described the sandbox genre as 'it's like GTA, but', and while I don't agree with that completely, this applies to nearly every game Rockstar has made. Midnight Club takes the flawed driving mechanics from GTA and gives them their own stage; The Warriors expanded on the combat system of GTA and made for a pretty enjoyable brawler; Bully sets the GTA concept in a school environment that feels a bit more confined than the diverse cities we're used to; Red Dead Revolver takes the terrible gunplay from GTA, making for a very disappointing game; Manhunt builds on the stealth gameplay of GTA, etc. etc. etc.

Adding to that, their games are often pretty clumsy, with silly AI and horrible gunplay, with the only difficulty often resulting from redundant, flawed gameplay moments rather than genuine challenge. Me and my friends tend to refer to them as 'Rockstar moments' as every Rockstar game has them, bar maybe GTA IV.

So no, they haven't made downright horrible games, but they are often rather simplistic in terms of gameplay, and instead make games that are more than the sum of their parts at first glance, but fall apart when played thoroughly.

Oh look, it turned out to be a rant.DraugenCP

Red Dead Revolver was developed and then dropped by Capcom. Rockstar picked up the game and finished it (they probably saw something in it).

Midnight Club preceedes Grand Theft Auto III so it's impossible that Midnight Club took Grand Theft Autos driving mechanics. Nevermind that the driving mechanics are completely different.

Grand Theft Auto barely had a melee combat system last generation and what was there didn't in the slightest resemble the elaborate, versatile system found in The Warriors.

Again, Red Dead Revolver was mostly developed by Capcom so it's highly unlikely that Capcom tried to ape Grand Theft Auto's gunplay.

Regarding Manhunt, you got it backwards. Manhunt's stealth and gunplay heavily influenced San Andreas and Grand Theft Auto IV.

What you call a one-trick-pony is really a massive, truly global development process united under a single clear vision. Rockstar's other games/developers didn't pick apart Grand Theft Auto - just the opposite. Those elements where subsequently implanted into Grand Theft Auto.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DraugenCP

Red Dead Revolver was developed and then dropped by Capcom. Rockstar picked up the game and finished it (they probably saw something in it).UpInFlames

Didn't know that, as it felt typically Rockstar. Mainly the gunplay, which was disappointing.

Midnight Club preceedes Grand Theft Auto III so it's impossible that Midnight Club took Grand Theft Autos driving mechanics. Nevermind that the driving mechanics are completely different.

Grand Theft Auto barely had a melee combat system last generation and what was there didn't in the slightest resemble the elaborate, versatile system found in The Warriors.

I base my opinion on Midnight Club on 2 and 3, and when I say 'take' I do not mean steal or anything, but rather that GTA seems to be the combination of all mechanics Rockstar use in their games, and many of the games feel a bit like loose parts. As for Midnight Club, I think the driving resembles GTA a lot (the races are near identical to the races in GTA, though less simplistic), and it isn't strong enough to stand on its own legs. That's what I mean with a lot of Rockstar games feeling like 'it's GTA, but', to use the Yahtzee expression.

Not just the combat mechanics, but the whole movement system felt a lot like GTA. Especially maneuvering in the more 3D areas (some of them went for a more sidescrolling approach) felt a lot like GTA. That being said, the combat system is more advanced, which is also why I liked this game.

What you call a one-trick-pony is really a massive, truly global development process united under a single clear vision. Rockstar's other games/developers didn't pick apart Grand Theft Auto - just the opposite. Those elements where subsequently implanted into Grand Theft Auto.

As I said, the order in which it happened doesn't matter. GTA seems to be the only series where Rockstar can cover up the shortcomings of many of the aforementioned games with lots of charm and a very clever artistic process (i.e. writing, licensed music, story, etc.). I have no doubt that they are indeed a global developer that has an uncanny sense of direction, but that being said, most games do feel rather limited in the sense that, at one point, I'm inclined to think 'I could just be playing GTA instead'. That's also a testament of GTA's greatness, but it isn't a very positive in regard to their other titles.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#36 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

As I said, the order in which it happened doesn't matter. GTA seems to be the only series where Rockstar can cover up the shortcomings of many of the aforementioned games with lots of charm and a very clever artistic process (i.e. writing, licensed music, story, etc.). I have no doubt that they are indeed a global developer that has an uncanny sense of direction, but that being said, most games do feel rather limited in the sense that, at one point, I'm inclined to think 'I could just be playing GTA instead'. That's also a testament of GTA's greatness, but it isn't a very positive in regard to their other titles.DraugenCP

Well, we'll just have to disagree on this as I found all of their games awfully compelling in their own right (apart from Manhunt 2).

faheem_s_i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 faheem_s_i
Member since 2006 • 346 Posts
In my opinion they haven't made a bad game yet.R* and Nintendo are the most consistent developers of the last couple of generations followed by Bioware.
GodzillavsXenu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GodzillavsXenu
Member since 2009 • 180 Posts
I wouldn't call it horrible but GTA4 made me lose interest in any and all GTA games, full stop. I don't care what they do with the series from now on, I'm done with it.
brendanhunt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 brendanhunt1
Member since 2008 • 2333 Posts
Nope
KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

State of Emergency and Manhunt 2 are pretty bad.

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 N7v1K0
Member since 2009 • 5755 Posts

I really disliked GTA Liberty City Stories

HotRevolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HotRevolver
Member since 2009 • 532 Posts
Wow... Max Payne terrible? GTFO
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#43 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Rockstar North has not disappointed me yet. Thumbs way up for Red Dead Redemption and Episodes from Liberty City.
WWIAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 WWIAB
Member since 2006 • 4352 Posts
Max Payne? Leave....
Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

State of Emergency was just awful

riou7

Pretty much. Everything else I've played by those guys has been pretty good, including Oni.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DraugenCP

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]As I said, the order in which it happened doesn't matter. GTA seems to be the only series where Rockstar can cover up the shortcomings of many of the aforementioned games with lots of charm and a very clever artistic process (i.e. writing, licensed music, story, etc.). I have no doubt that they are indeed a global developer that has an uncanny sense of direction, but that being said, most games do feel rather limited in the sense that, at one point, I'm inclined to think 'I could just be playing GTA instead'. That's also a testament of GTA's greatness, but it isn't a very positive in regard to their other titles.UpInFlames

Well, we'll just have to disagree on this as I found all of their games awfully compelling in their own right (apart from Manhunt 2).

Yeah, it's a difference of opinion. Personally, I only thought The Warriors approached the quality of GTA. There were other nice games, but as of now none of them have been particularly memorable for me. Although I unfortunately haven't got to play RDR yet, and that's supposed to be really good.

CheekyIchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47 CheekyIchi
Member since 2010 • 739 Posts

To each, their own.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

Not sure if anyone said this yet, didn'tread all of the posts. But rockstar made that 3D Earthworm Jim game, which I hear bad things about. I didn't play it myself though.

PewPewNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PewPewNinja
Member since 2010 • 137 Posts

Rockstar game never got the gameplay part of their games (and the exception isMax Payne!) which totally kill it for me,(RDR, GTA4 Auto aim, More like aim bot)as a huge fan of over the top shooters ive never understood why some dev add those boring/bad gameplay (i mean i expect game like FF to be slow paced and somehow boring). Rockstar and Bioware are at the same level to me, They make game with a good background but the rest is lacking. (Vanquish showed everyone that a 3rd person shooter can be just as smooth as a FPS in term of Gameplay)

So to answer the Question, No they didn't make any Horrible game, but they never made any Great game either.

Avatar image for xSkiFreeProMLGx
xSkiFreeProMLGx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 xSkiFreeProMLGx
Member since 2010 • 802 Posts

SoE was hardly awful. It was shallow, repetitive and not very well excuted, but "mediocre" is not the same thing as "HORRIBLE".
SoE2 was actually kind of bad, but Rockstar didn't publish that.

Oni also failed to live up to a lot of its promise, but a lot of people liked it as well. It has a 9.6 user review on Metacritic.

As far as Max Payne...lol. I'm sure you could find people who list it as their favorite game ever. It hasn't aged particularly well, but that game was HUGE when it came out.

The Max Payne movie, however, was horrible.

SoE2 was actually kind of bad, but Rockstar didn't publish that.

in short, Rockstar have published a few mediocre games, nothing cringeworthy, however. And this is coming from someone who hasn't really enjoyed a Rockstar game since Vice City.