Hardscoping vs. Rage Quitting

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MusclesJAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MusclesJAM
Member since 2006 • 69 Posts

Ok, this morning playing call of duty BO, I played against an entire clan that was beating us 3-0 in S&D. They were talking a bit of trash, then we came back to tie it up 3-3. Before the next round started, all but 1 of them rage quit. The last round was 1vs6, and of course we win the match. The game ends, and I decide to send a friendly message to the entire clan calling them out for rage quitting. I just can't stand people quitting simply because they are losing. I wasn't even that rude in my message to all of them, but I got a message back from one of them saying "ShUt Up KiD HARDSCOPER!!"

Seriously? Just because I picked off a couple of them running across the middle of the map, they think that justifies quitting the game? Since when is hardscoping frowned upon? If I quick-scoped all of them, they would call me lucky. I just don't see how rage-quitting is comparable to hardscoping, or camping, any other tactic that people might find frustrating. I've lost plenty of games to people that I thought were using a single tactic, but that didn't make me quit.

I want to know what everyone else thinks. What is worse, rage-quitters or hardscopers? While you are at it, what other things do you find annoying when you are playing?

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
why is hardscoping even frowned upon at all?
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
I don't even know what hardscoping is, lol.
MusclesJAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MusclesJAM

Thats what I said!! Its like, sorry you don't like the fact that I am using a gun that is meant for picking people off from far away. I mean, if they rushed me from close range they would probably have no trouble killing me. When someone uses a certain tactic, you just have to be able to counter it. Instead they just quit. Losers.

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
it's when you look through your sniper scope to pick out targets, rather then playing a sniper as if you were high on red bull and only using the scope right before you're about to shoot.
D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

Quickscoping is daft, the fact that using a sniper properly is called "Hardscoping" is mad on various levels.

Rage quittng because youre loosing is just unsporting. Ive quit laggy games, or games where there seems to be "foul play". But thats not nearly the same as throwing a wobbly and quiting because youre not winning. Thats what small children do when theyhit a snake onsnakes and ladders.

It just sounds like people trying to justify themselves/make excuses.

MusclesJAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MusclesJAM

Ok, hardscoping is the opposite of quick scoping. It just means that instead of aiming down the sights for short periods of time just to shoot people I see, I aim down my sights across the map and search for people through the scope. I mean, if I know someone is in a room, and they are going to come out, I'm not going to wait until I see them to scope in on them, right!? Aim at the doorway and wait. What is so cheap about that? I only use sniper rifles on certain maps and gametypes anyways, but I just thought it was funny that someone was complaining that he had to rage quit because of it.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#8 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
I don't even know what hardscoping is, lol. SteelAttack
Me either. Or why the TC even needed to send anyone a message. I'm more annoyed by those people.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
I honestly thought that was the correct way of playing sniper. Hiding in a good spot, aiming through your scope for as long as needed, kill someone, then cycle between sniping spots on the map. And people complain about that? Are snipers now supposed to run across the map like idiots and scope at the last moment?
TehOverkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TehOverkill
Member since 2011 • 754 Posts
I do both, but I don't get mad if someone hardscopes me. I comprehend why someone would RQ, but I don't appreciate it either.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#11 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
[QUOTE="SteelAttack"]I don't even know what hardscoping is, lol. Wilfred_Owen
Or why the TC even needed to send anyone a message. I'm more annoyed by those people.

Lol, that's what I was thinking.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Rage quitting is just sad. Anyone who rage quits in any game is a poor gamer in my book.
Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

Rage quitting is just sad. Anyone who rage quits in any game is a poor gamer in my book. mrmusicman247

Unless you're getting out of a crap game all around. I'm still convinced Left 4 Dead 2 has the worst community of randoms. It's okay to ragequit when the opposing team isn't using mics but are spamming the chat and generally being *******s. That, and you've got a random on your team who freaks out about everything and blames you and your friends for bringing the team (ie: him) down.

I know I don't pay to have a **** time. Just a simple gg and we're out.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
They rage quit, naturally they'll say that everything you did was wrong out of spite.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#15 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I had to look up hardscoping because I've never heard of it before. And now that I know what it is, I can't see why it would even be a bad thing - I mean, it's a sniper rifle, that's how it's used? I realize that today's generation of younger ADD-riddled gamers like to run around no-scoping people, but that completely defeats the purpose of a sniper rifle in the first place. Rage quitting because of something like that does little but show the average maturity of a Call of Duty gamer. You might as well rage quit because someone shot you and you didn't see them.
thah-dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thah-dude
Member since 2011 • 532 Posts

Ok, this morning playing call of duty BO, I played against an entire clan that was beating us 3-0 in S&D. They were talking a bit of trash, then we came back to tie it up 3-3. Before the next round started, all but 1 of them rage quit. The last round was 1vs6, and of course we win the match. The game ends, and I decide to send a friendly message to the entire clan calling them out for rage quitting. I just can't stand people quitting simply because they are losing. I wasn't even that rude in my message to all of them, but I got a message back from one of them saying "ShUt Up KiD HARDSCOPER!!"

Seriously? Just because I picked off a couple of them running across the middle of the map, they think that justifies quitting the game? Since when is hardscoping frowned upon? If I quick-scoped all of them, they would call me lucky. I just don't see how rage-quitting is comparable to hardscoping, or camping, any other tactic that people might find frustrating. I've lost plenty of games to people that I thought were using a single tactic, but that didn't make me quit.

I want to know what everyone else thinks. What is worse, rage-quitters or hardscopers? While you are at it, what other things do you find annoying when you are playing?

MusclesJAM
Some ppl just like to whine if you where using the magnum pistol the would probably whine about it being overpowered
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
This happens in alot of other FPS games too. I've had plenty of times when I was playing against a clan of 4-6 guys in Bad Company 2 who are winning at first but then start losing horribly because of the new players who join my team. After just one round of losing, the clan will always rage quit. They may even do it before the round ends. There is nothing I hate worst than when an entire clan leaves the server leaving the enemy team with only 4-5 guys. By the way, why is it called hard scoping anyways? It just sounds like regular sniping.
Kervik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Kervik
Member since 2009 • 94 Posts

By the way, why is it called hard scoping anyways? It just sounds like regular sniping.

Console lingo. I don't understand it either. Kids at my school sometimes use "proscope" too, which is apparently where you bring the scope up to you but never look down it — half way between a quickscope and no-scope, I suppose...

I've played in clans where we've withdrawn because of a loss. Sniping is a ridiculous reason though and probably an attempt to cover up the fact they left because they lost their ability to aim some time in the match.

MusclesJAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MusclesJAM

Yea, I mean, I've never even referred to it as hardscoping. I just call it sniping. That's what sniping is. I'm not gonna run around the map as if I have an assault rifle and get owned. The guns are meant to be used that way. People just hate losing, so whenever someone does something that works, they call it cheating.

XCNormX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 XCNormX
Member since 2010 • 466 Posts

Rage quitting really gets on my nerves but I just bite my tongue and keep my mouth shut. I don't see as much rage quitting in BFBC2 but then again I may be just be too involved to notice. Now I'm not trying to compare the two but I see quite a bit of rage quitting in COD, or at least from what I believe is rage quitting just because they're losing. I think it's quite ridiculous to do that, so players are pretty much going to take there reputation as a crappy player and turn into being a sore loser, yeah that helps ya.

Now to the point of "hardscoping" which is now a term I just now know of. I consider that to be the way you're suppose to use a sniper rifle. This whole quickscope, no-scope stuff is really taking away from what has always been so great about sniping. That's really all I can say on that point just because I don't much more I could add.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Shame on you for using a gun in its proper and most effective way. Seriously I've never understood why people even quick-scope on a regular basis. I can understand doing it now and again if need be, but as a tactic, it just doesn't make sense.

xxFallenAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xxFallenAngel
Member since 2011 • 753 Posts

I dont play much COD but what the hell is hardscoping???

Dusty8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dusty8
Member since 2010 • 318 Posts

I dont play much COD but what the hell is hardscoping???

xxFallenAngel
It's when you use a sniper the normal way and look through the scope. Quick scoping is when you use the scope for half a second and shoot. Anyways, quick scoping is fun in lobbies that are made for it, but if you use it in a real match you get owned.
Rhino53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Rhino53
Member since 2008 • 2552 Posts

I don't even think quickscoping exists in Black Ops, so you have to "hardscope"

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#25 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I honestly thought that was the correct way of playing sniper. Hiding in a good spot, aiming through your scope for as long as needed, kill someone, then cycle between sniping spots on the map. And people complain about that? Are snipers now supposed to run across the map like idiots and scope at the last moment?SteelAttack
That's what I was thinking. Players like that are why I'm happy just being a single player gamer.
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
The way I see it, you just have to mute people like that. They are idiots, plain and simple. Play the game how you want to play it; don't let others dictate what you can and cannot do.
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#27 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts
[QUOTE="SteelAttack"]I don't even know what hardscoping is, lol. Wilfred_Owen
Me either. Or why the TC even needed to send anyone a message. I'm more annoyed by those people.

I don't care if people quit because they are losing, that is their problem, not mine. But I do hate people who send me insults or accusations if they are losing, that is just really really sad, implies they are taking a game far too seriously.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

MusclesJAM

Quiting in the middle of a game is a really punk move because it leaves one's team shorthanded and lessens the likelihood of a comeback.

That being said, I don't see why you felt a deep need to send a message, friendly or otherwise, to a bunch of guys who were obviously sore losers. You should have just marked them off as people not to play against in the future (IMHO the most fun games are competitive games, not games where six guys beat up on one guy).

On a related note, in BO is it possible for a guy to switch teams if there is a numerical imbalance in order to make things more interesting?

MusclesJAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MusclesJAM

I don't think you can switch teams in ranked matches. You can in private matches. I know sending messages after a game can seem like a jerk move, and I have never done it to a person that quits, but this was an entire team, and entire clan, with some prefix built into their gamertags, not just a clan tag at the beginning, so they obviously took themselves seriously when it came to Black Ops. And I just don't think that rage quitting as a team is something that a clan should do. As for a way to fix this, how about showing me a DNF percentage like some sports games do, so I know how often a person quits a game before it is done, then I can choose if I want to play with them or not?

Shub-Niggurath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#30 Shub-Niggurath
Member since 2004 • 558 Posts
So...someone freaked out at you for using a sniper rifle in the game the way it was designed to be used? Yeah, IRL sniper doesn't spend their entire time looking through the scope...but they also lay in the same spot for days at a time. Also, most real snipers are also function as scouts, feeding vital intelligence about a target back to a squad who is planning an attack. Yes, campers can be a BEAST to overcome sometimes but it isn't impossible. It's not cheating, it may seem like a cheap strategy sometimes, but campers can be flushed out. Quitting a game merely because your team is losing is incredibly immature. It's not made any better when you make excuses about why. And I'm sure that if a clan had quit in the middle of a game against them they'd start complaining about the immature kids who bailed simply because they were losing. They wouldn't say things like "Well {playername} was hardscoping the whole time" and "{playername} did camp in that one spot again}." They'd say stuff about "Eff those effing losers! Those kids had no excuse for quitting the game! This sucks! We got cheated out of a fair win!"
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

In some ways I'm sympathetic to rage-quitters, mostly because I'm not too good at online games. But it depends why, if someone is just losing a match and doesn't want to lose so they quit, that's pretty bad sportsmanship. But I've also been in situations where I've been doing so bad and frustrated with how things are going that I simply was not having any fun at all playing in the match, and any further frustration would probably result in a controller being thrown across the room. Some times you need to realise you just need to put the controller down, and/or find a better and more enjoyable use of your time at the moment. Not something that I see as good, and should be avoided, but there are situations where I can at least understand it.

lasseeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lasseeb
Member since 2010 • 1186 Posts

I don't even know what hardscoping is, lol. SteelAttack
It's when you try to snipe for a girl and succeed.

:P

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Never heard of hardscoping prior to this thread, thats basically just what I call sniping and the way its supposed to be done. As for quitters I have no respect for them and look down upon them in any genre of game, I always see whatever game I start through unless it is taken out of my hands.

Evolution-X0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Evolution-X0
Member since 2008 • 1740 Posts
What the hell is wrong with hardscoping? Isn't it what snipers are used for, long range? Kinda makes me sick.
mariomaster16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#35 mariomaster16
Member since 2008 • 762 Posts
By the way, why is it called hard scoping anyways? It just sounds like regular sniping.Pvt_r3d
Quick scoping seems to be the fad with kids on 360 nowadays. My little brother's friends were over playing BO and MW2 the other day, and these jackass kids were trying to make a rule that you can only quick scope because it takes "more skill." That's not actually not true. Quick scoping is 100% percent accurate no matter what. If timed properly, a quick scope is a perfect shot, instant kill. You know the smaller your reticle the more accurate you are? Well when you quick scope, the reticle becomes super small for an instant, giving perfect accuracy. Quick scoping is actually easier and cheaper than real sniping.
metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts

What's wrong with hardscoping, you just look through the scope like normal or you wait for a person to come into your scope, how is that cheap if anything it makes that game harder.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#37 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

You had to send them a message over ragequitting?

Best thing to do, really, was just to laugh and move on. No need to send a message whatsoever.

Lost-Memory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lost-Memory
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts

MusclesJAM
Don't worry about it. In 20 years or so when earth is run down by war. They'll be dead, and we'll be alive.