Happy Birthday/Anniversary to the US Sony PlayStation and Sega Dreamcast

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -

I'm sorry if there is already a topic on this, but I did not see one.

September 9, 1995:
15 years ago today Sony's first console was unleashed on a gaming market eager for the next generation to arrive, and with 3D graphics, cd sound and full-motion-video capabililties the Sony PlayStation further took the gaming world by storm.

September 9, 1999:
11 years ago today Sega's last console was released to a gaming market where 3rd parties were leary of it and the gaming public really had their eyes focused on the next system from Sony. There were a lot of great titles on the Dreamcast but there just wasn't enough support when they were competing with Sony.

#2 Posted by HeavyMetalKirby (550 posts) -

Dreamcast FTW :)

#3 Posted by ScreamDream (3953 posts) -

Dreamcast FTW :)

HeavyMetalKirby

Yep, Dreamcast was ahead of it's time. PS1 was nice because you can get some cheap games with that system.

#4 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

The PS1 is my favourite console from my favourite gaming gen (all 3 systems were great).

congrats to the DC too , decent console as well.

is there any cake btw since this is a birthday?

#5 Posted by RaIn285 (3010 posts) -

Is this true cake or not ?As for the Dreamcast it was pretty great console.If only Sega would realese it a year later and with twice as powerful hardware it would probably would have been as popular as PS2 was...

#6 Posted by Dr_Bear (63 posts) -

I'm sorry if there is already a topic on this, but I did not see one.

September 9, 1995:
15 years ago today Sony's first console was unleashed on a gaming market eager for the next generation to arrive, and with 3D graphics, cd sound and full-motion-video capabililties the Sony PlayStation further took the gaming world by storm.

September 9, 1999:
11 years ago today Sega's last console was released to a gaming market where 3rd parties were leary of it and the gaming public really had their eyes focused on the next system from Sony. There were a lot of great titles on the Dreamcast but there just wasn't enough support when they were competing with Sony.

Stinger78
PS1 had one of the most extensive libraries i have ever seen.. and the PS2 increased it. the Dreamcast on the other hand was actually set to fail from the start... mainly because sega just enjoyed screwing their costumers. also i read your signature being a fanboy used to be based upon loyalty.. now it's based upon idiocy.. there are many problems with the consoles today but i believe the 360 has the most out of all three.. but that's just my opinion. anyways happy birthday PSX and DC.
#7 Posted by Daavpuke (13769 posts) -
Just heard the news Sega is giving away anniversary Dreamcast shirts.
#8 Posted by Jaysonguy (37692 posts) -

September 9, 1999:

Stinger78

All of that doesn't matter

The PS2 had a DVD player that was well below the price of a stand alone DVD player in most regions

If the Dreamcast had a DVD player Sega would still be making hardware.

Sony got every single casual to buy it's console because of the DVD player and then was able to lure devs and publishers to the console with all the users.

#9 Posted by mariokart64fan (19522 posts) -

im sorryu but nintendo did a better job then sony did, besides nfs spyro crash and the 3 rugrats titles playstation hardly had ne thing for me

nintendo 64 had the majority of my time , and is the better console regardless , ps2 on the other hand

i prefered that just as much as the gc ,

#10 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -
Happy Birthday Playstation and Dreamcast! Happy gaming days have come from both, for me.
#11 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -

All of that doesn't matter

The PS2 had a DVD player that was well below the price of a stand alone DVD player in most regions

If the Dreamcast had a DVD player Sega would still be making hardware.

Sony got every single casual to buy it's console because of the DVD player and then was able to lure devs and publishers to the console with all the users.

Jaysonguy

I agree that DVD playback was a big boost for PS2 sales - especially in Japan as people were buying it more for dvd-playback than for game titles when it first released, but I also think that while a DVD drive in the Dreamcast would have helped (I've even stated the same thing on other topics) - I think the hype over the next big thing took sales away from Sega.

Though there are other reasons that contributed to the demise of Sega's hardware department. It always makes me wonder whenever I see a "miss the dreamcast" topic - where was the support when the system was actually selling in stores?

#12 Posted by travisstaggs (10538 posts) -

Happy birthday Playstation and Dreamcast! :)