Half life Story (Spoilers)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by dsgeeno1 (216 posts) -

I ve got orange box and never played half life 1. So i just completed half life 2 and just beginning on episode 1 when i realise i dnt really understand the story fully (I had googled half life 1 before playing 2).

from what i gather gordon messed up at black messa, opened a portal that brought aliens to earth. while escaping found out soldiers were killing people as well as aliens, then killed an alien in xen. right....?

Then begins half life 2. is that it? cos I think i must be missing the entire plot and cant find anything tha explains evrything from halflife 1 to 2. any help...

p.s. i havent played episode 1 & 2 so no spoilers please

#2 Posted by Wirrexx (1713 posts) -
That's about it! =)
#3 Posted by snazzyman020 (295 posts) -

http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/index.htm

Read that. hahah. Just about EVERYTHING

#4 Posted by HIMSteveO (492 posts) -

I think the main gist of the story is that at the start of HL1, Gordon and the other scientists accidentally screw up a test of some sort at the Black Mesa facility, which, as you pointed out, opens up some sort of funky dimensional portal. All these aliens come through the portal and start killing people. The military then take it upon themselves to come and 'clean up' the mess, attempting to destroy all the aliens and scientists together (maybe so word of the 'mistake' will never get out). After smashing through the base, Gordon is teleported to Xen to kill what appears to the head alien. At the end, the G Man pops up and offers Gordon a choice: Hibernation to awake 'when needed' or being dropped in the middle of a swarm of aliens and dying. Taking the hibernation option ends HL1.

You are awoken at the start of HL2 in City 17, I believe in the midst of, or end of, 'The Seven Year War' between the people of Earth (and the Vortigaunts of the first game - I think they take sympathy on the humans plight or something like that) and another alien race known as the Combine. From hear you make your way out of City 17, then back in to destroy the 'Citadel', where it's discovered that some doctor (can't remember his name) is the cause of the Combine's attack on Earth, as he opened the portal to allow them to get to Earth and control City 17 (I think that's how that part goes - I could be way wrong...). HL2 ends with Gordon destroying the Citadel, and the explosion seemingly about to kill Gordon and Alyx Vance (who, by the way, helps you through all of it, as she and her father are part of the resistance against the Combine) when everything is frozen again and the G-Man once again steps into the picture.

This then leads into Episode 1, and this is where I stop telling the story. I think I've got most of the main details, but I could also have some of completely backwards. Hope that kind of helps you out, I found the story between games a little hard to follow until I remembered how HL1 ended, and thought a little about the story of HL2.

#5 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18802 posts) -

[...] from what i gather gordon messed up at black messa, [...]

dsgeeno1

LOL @ messed up at black messa ;)

#6 Posted by sonicare (53551 posts) -
It really wasn't Gordon that messed up at Black Mesa. . . . .
#7 Posted by dsgeeno1 (216 posts) -

I think the main gist of the story is that at the start of HL1, Gordon and the other scientists accidentally screw up a test of some sort at the Black Mesa facility, which, as you pointed out, opens up some sort of funky dimensional portal. All these aliens come through the portal and start killing people. The military then take it upon themselves to come and 'clean up' the mess, attempting to destroy all the aliens and scientists together (maybe so word of the 'mistake' will never get out). After smashing through the base, Gordon is teleported to Xen to kill what appears to the head alien. At the end, the G Man pops up and offers Gordon a choice: Hibernation to awake 'when needed' or being dropped in the middle of a swarm of aliens and dying. Taking the hibernation option ends HL1.

You are awoken at the start of HL2 in City 17, I believe in the midst of, or end of, 'The Seven Year War' between the people of Earth (and the Vortigaunts of the first game - I think they take sympathy on the humans plight or something like that) and another alien race known as the Combine. From hear you make your way out of City 17, then back in to destroy the 'Citadel', where it's discovered that some doctor (can't remember his name) is the cause of the Combine's attack on Earth, as he opened the portal to allow them to get to Earth and control City 17 (I think that's how that part goes - I could be way wrong...). HL2 ends with Gordon destroying the Citadel, and the explosion seemingly about to kill Gordon and Alyx Vance (who, by the way, helps you through all of it, as she and her father are part of the resistance against the Combine) when everything is frozen again and the G-Man once again steps into the picture.

This then leads into Episode 1, and this is where I stop telling the story. I think I've got most of the main details, but I could also have some of completely backwards. Hope that kind of helps you out, I found the story between games a little hard to follow until I remembered how HL1 ended, and thought a little about the story of HL2.

HIMSteveO

thanks it does help, quite interesting story, especially with gman . y do we call him gman neway?

thanks 4 the link snazzy.

#8 Posted by HIMSteveO (492 posts) -
I don't think the G-Man actually has a name, or if he does, that's what it was
#9 Posted by Astral_Vapor (276 posts) -
Great recap dude! I've been playing through 1 and 2 all over again.
#10 Posted by Cerussite (3084 posts) -

Am I the only one that thinks the G-Man is god?

#11 Posted by viralhunter (396 posts) -

you know what would solve this whole crisis?

playing hl1

#12 Posted by Ish_basic (4072 posts) -

playing HL1 wouldn't do that much good. I had this conversation with a friend the other day about how HL1's story seems to be post-rationalized in the sense that HL2 is what gives the events of HL1 meaning and context. I don't think the HL story came into existence until HL2 when they realized they actually had a franchise on their hand and needed to make it work...consider that so many of the returning characters in HL2 didn't even have a name in HL1. You'd actually be better playing HL2 first and using it to make sense of HL1.

in any case, the link that snazzyman posted above is a good one..best summary of HL i've seen anywhere.

as for G-man, i see him as some kind of interstellar power-broker. He's a gun-runner, profiting off of conflict. The Combine is probably in some sort of war with another equally sized entity, a war that's being fought between the two groups by proxy, not unlike how Russia and the U.S. went at each other in the Cold War by using third world countries. In this case Earth is the third world country..maybe even the Combine's Vietnam. It's just the way the G-man seems to want to bog down the Combine on Earth..he's not really helping humanity, but just trying to prolong the fight for some reason...for somebody.

#13 Posted by --Quadkillz-- (460 posts) -
Trust me, the experience I get from playing half life 1 is totally replayable, I recommend playing it.