This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

I think Half Life 3 might be announced today.

For more than one reason

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (30414 posts) -

...and could you care listing them?

#3 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

...and could you care listing them?

Gabe is going to make an announcement at 2pm PST on reddit and some newspaper has an image from what is claimed to be Half Life 3 however that image could very well be from the user community. so we wait...

#4 Posted by MonsieurX (30414 posts) -

Not happening.

UPDATE: Looks like the IAmA mods will not allow GabeN to do his AMA as he planned. This information comes from a /r/pcmasterrace moderator (link).

Tizaki writes:

The IamA mods contacted us letting us know that wasn't the verified time and they didn't want this to mislead people, so it was hidden. We'll get verification from them and then (likely)sticky the one with the right time.

#5 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

Not happening.

UPDATE: Looks like the IAmA mods will not allow GabeN to do his AMA as he planned. This information comes from a /r/pcmasterrace moderator (link).

Tizaki writes:

The IamA mods contacted us letting us know that wasn't the verified time and they didn't want this to mislead people, so it was hidden. We'll get verification from them and then (likely)sticky the one with the right time.

lol...i dont think because the AmA mod doesnt allow him that this means the information he wants out will simply never come out.

He rescheduled for today.

#6 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16788 posts) -

even if he does announce it, I've lost all interest at this point. HL2 and its episodes were good, but by now the only reason I'd play it is for the gameplay. I never thought the story was very good, but I was still interested to know what happened to everyone after the end of Episode 2. but now, I just don't care. Additionally, shooters and gaming have changed so much that I don't know how Valve can possibly live up to the hype.

#7 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

even if he does announce it, I've lost all interest at this point. HL2 and its episodes were good, but by now the only reason I'd play it is for the gameplay. I never thought the story was very good, but I was still interested to know what happened to everyone after the end of Episode 2. but now, I just don't care. Additionally, shooters and gaming have changed so much that I don't know how Valve can possibly live up to the hype.

this very well might be true.

never the less he is revealing something and that got me interested.

#8 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16788 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Maybe it's a new IP. Or Portal 3.

but wait, Valve can't count to 3 :P

#9 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Maybe it's a new IP. Or Portal 3.

but wait, Valve can't count to 3 :P

actually I am more excited about these possible announcements

'release date for Steam machines is...'

'directX works on Linux'

'Here is a look at the VR system we have been working on'

'Steam will now allow players to monetize...this way...'

#10 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

There's really not much chance he'll announce anything, it's an AMA he promised to give for charity not a press event.

But for the purposes of clarity:
'release date for Steam machines is...' Now, they're already on sale, the OS is freely available, we call them "PC's"

'directX works on Linux' lol, never going to happen

'Here is a look at the VR system we have been working on' It's not a consumer product.

#11 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@barrybarryk said:

There's really not much chance he'll announce anything, it's an AMA he promised to give for charity not a press event.

But for the purposes of clarity:

'release date for Steam machines is...' Now, they're already on sale, the OS is freely available, we call them "PC's"

'Here is a look at the VR system we have been working on' It's not a consumer product.

Only speical ed students dont know what I mean. Yes I know you can build one.

Crazier things have happened in the past 5 years already in the Linux world

They are making one and from press releases its better than the Oculus Rift. I just want to see one.

Thanks for visiting.

#12 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

get you all up todate

http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/04/gabe-newells-reddit-ama-rescheduled-for-tomorrow/

#13 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

One of the 14 unveiled Steam Machines on sale now

The only thing people are waiting for is SteamOS coming out of Beta so it can be shipped with them and given the current state of it that's going to be a while.

Stranger things have happened with Linux than a proprietary Windows shim between the kernel and the drivers being ported to Linux where neither the Kernel or drivers are? I definitely haven't heard of any. Porting DirectX to Linux would be completely and utterly pointless, it won't magically allow Windows games to work, that's not what DirectX does.

The Valve VR set was a demo kit, they've already made it, it's not being released, they've already confirmed it will never see a commercial release.

#14 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@barrybarryk said:

One of the 14 unveiled Steam Machines on sale now

The only thing people are waiting for is SteamOS coming out of Beta so it can be shipped with them and given the current state of it that's going to be a while.

Stranger things have happened with Linux than a proprietary Windows shim between the kernel and the drivers being ported to Linux where neither the Kernel or drivers are? I definitely haven't heard of any. Porting DirectX to Linux would be completely and utterly pointless, it won't magically allow Windows games to work, that's not what DirectX does.

The Valve VR set was a demo kit, they've already made it, it's not being released, they've already confirmed it will never see a commercial release.

1. I didnt know a Steam Machine was already out and I think I should have said 'SteamOS is released' instead. Such an announcement is what I was thinking although I clearly didnt think it thru completely.

2. I honestly dont know alot about DirectX but what I do suspect is that Windows Gaming will be less important in the nearish future.

3. I know its not going to be commercially released but I still want to know more about it:)

#15 Posted by mxpower (198 posts) -

@barrybarryk said:

This.....

Have had the reddit screen up for about an hour and he has said nothing remotely interesting. I think at this point most people have moved on from expecting HL3. It's more of a joke then something to be taken seriously. I know I'd play it if it ever came out but I stopped waiting a long time ago.

#16 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

@mxpower: Well no it's not a joke, it's essentially everyone's chance to interview one of the most high profile and successful people involved with gaming. If there's news about HL3 coming it'll go through the exact same hype cycle every other game goes through, but the AMA is a chance to ask about the things that don't normally get covered in press releases.

#17 Edited by mxpower (198 posts) -

@barrybarryk said:

@mxpower: Well no it's not a joke, it's essentially everyone's chance to interview one of the most high profile and successful people involved with gaming. If there's news about HL3 coming it'll go through the exact same hype cycle every other game goes through, but the AMA is a chance to ask about the things that don't normally get covered in press releases.

I ment people waiting around for HL3 is a joke. Expecting an announcement "any day now". Wasn't talking about the AMA.

#18 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

so the reveal today from gabe was not on Half Life 3.

An article came out today claiming that there was a half life 3 reveal likely even with a screenshot (which was likely a user made mode) so I put 1 and 1 together.

Valve has 'hinted' more than once that they really dont have an interest in Half Life 3 but who knows...

#19 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -
@SEANMCAD said:

Valve has 'hinted' more than once that they really dont have an interest in Half Life 3 but who knows...

Nonsense.

Valve have flat out confirmed they are working on it (and have been for years). They have also thoroughly explained loads of times that they aren't going to formally announce it until it's near release. Gabe even repeated this in the AMA today.

"When is Ricochet 2?"
"When we announced our products years in advance in the past and then were really late delivering them, it was pretty painful for both us and the community. We'd rather not repeat that."

#20 Edited by RvBFreak (10 posts) -

So much speculation... I don't think we're going to see Half Life 3 for a while, but one can hope.

#21 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@barrybarryk said:

@SEANMCAD said:

Nonsense.

Valve have flat out confirmed they are working on it (and have been for years). They have also thoroughly explained loads of times that they aren't going to formally announce it until it's near release. Gabe even repeated this in the AMA today.

"When is Ricochet 2?"

"When we announced our products years in advance in the past and then were really late delivering them, it was pretty painful for both us and the community. We'd rather not repeat that."

that quote doesnt mean anything. I heard that clip and he is basically saying 'we dont know and we reserve the right to change our mind'. I have heard other quotes that were far more evasive to the subject then this.

If they do annouce it though I am of the position that it would be really bad business to do it before a SteamOS official release.

#22 Posted by Cloud_imperium (3603 posts) -

Forget about Half Life 3 and move on like me . It's not happening anytime soon .

#23 Edited by wiouds (5255 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

Forget about Half Life 3 and move on like me . It's not happening anytime soon .

This.

I would have a hard time believing Valve anyway. I have more faith in EA than Valve.

#24 Posted by sukraj (23032 posts) -

Its not going to happen yet.

#25 Posted by Matas_0R_Not (50 posts) -

I might sound stupid but just in case ... is half-life just on pc or PS3?