This topic is locked from further discussion.

ANNIHL8TOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ANNIHL8TOR
Member since 2008 • 26 Posts

Do i have a defective copy or something? I recently saw that GTA 4 was awarded a 10 rating so i went out and bought a copy. When i got home i was rip roarin mad at the graphics. This game isnt even finished! whats up with the blurry graphics? I like the game so far( probably 10% complete), but seriously the graphics are absolutly terrible, far beyond any excuses. Comments?

GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#2 GenTom
Member since 2005 • 5945 Posts
there not that bad, there not great but the lighting is awesome and although it does look like it's constantly in fog.. i dunno it's alright.
Avatar image for bearded_snowman
bearded_snowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 bearded_snowman
Member since 2004 • 514 Posts
The graphics are not terrible but I agree that they are blurry and not sharp at all. I guess they had to cut corners in order to make such a massive city.
silky_smooth8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 silky_smooth8
Member since 2003 • 3659 Posts
it's GTA what do you expect?
Taloskai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 Taloskai
Member since 2006 • 188 Posts

Do i have a defective copy or something? I recently saw that GTA 4 was awarded a 10 rating so i went out and bought a copy. When i got home i was rip roarin mad at the graphics. This game isnt even finished! whats up with the blurry graphics? I like the game so far( probably 10% complete), but seriously the graphics are absolutly terrible, far beyond any excuses. Comments? Go play GTA 3 and come back, you'll thank god it doesn't look the same.

ANNIHL8TOR
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Do i have a defective copy or something? I recently saw that GTA 4 was awarded a 10 rating so i went out and bought a copy. When i got home i was rip roarin mad at the graphics. This game isnt even finished! whats up with the blurry graphics? I like the game so far( probably 10% complete), but seriously the graphics are absolutly terrible, far beyond any excuses. Comments?

ANNIHL8TOR

Yep, you got a defective copy, that's what you get for shopping at Trolls-R-Us.
Rampanterage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rampanterage
Member since 2003 • 2215 Posts
Yeah, GTA series is not known for their graphic´s, but I guess that for a GTA game and such a big enviroment, they are OK. But I agree, I wouldn´t given them a 10; I guess they did it to round-up the score.
hazbazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 hazbazz
Member since 2005 • 7709 Posts

Consider how huge Liberty City is, and how much is going on in it. Now consider that the game has to process it all at once, hence no load times. Thats why it looks average.
Games like Gears look amazing, but are far more linear than GTA.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

Consider how huge Liberty City is, and how much is going on in it. Now consider that the game has to process it all at once, hence no load times. Thats why it looks average.
Games like Gears look amazing, but are far more linear than GTA.

hazbazz

Exactly. It's as if people are focusing purely on textures and anti-aliasing.

There is so much happening in the city and you can go anywhere without loading, so that in itself is a remarkable feat.

chathuranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 chathuranga
Member since 2003 • 3549 Posts
It looks fine to me. The graphics really are next gen(for a GTA game) when your compare GTA IV graphics to the graphics from GTA San Andreas
MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

Oh well, I guess great gameplay wins out over uber perfect graphics. I'm glad I didnt get a defective game like the TC.:o

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Go stand by the water as the sun sets, and get back to me. This game has some stunning graphics.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#13 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
Does the game run at 60 FPS? I remember the other GTA games having frame rate issues.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

Go stand by the water as the sun sets, and get back to me. This game has some stunning graphics.rragnaar

The lighting especially. I keep visiting the same spots to stand in awe at how impressive the lighting is in this game. Animations are quite good, also. But I believe that rather than expect razor-sharp visuals (which the GTA franchise has never been known for), one should consider the size and scope of this massive gameworld, and the lenghts R* went to make it seem so believable.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Go stand by the water as the sun sets, and get back to me. This game has some stunning graphics.rragnaar

Agreed. This game looks top notch. I have no clue what the TC is talking about. Maybe he should toy with the in-game settings.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Well yeah, the post rendering processing tends to blur everything, but it works. You get both detail and size, something has to give. And yes, there are some instances when it just looks breathtaking.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#17 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

You get used to it.

The cruddy framerate, the blurry shadows, the ugly textures, ridiculous post-processing effects (particularly at dawn and dusk) and questionable resolution sort of fade away as you get into the game.

People claim the 360 version runs at a legitimate 720p but the PS3 version doesn't - I have a hard time believing it does, since the game looks just as chunky as others that cheat (Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, PGR3) and in some spots is even more muddled. Maybe the menus and your cellphone are in 720p and everything else it upscaled.

It's sort of a tradeoff for the overall scope of the game, and it's something I'll live with as I'm not sure if the alternative would have the same impact, shinier graphics be damned.

TepicPlug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TepicPlug
Member since 2007 • 79 Posts

GTA isn't really known for great graphics.

I have the PS3 version and had my console set to 1080p. I was seriously disappointed at the gfx :(

I dropped it to 720p to solve the freezing issue (it did - try it) and they seem a lot smoother. That could just e the beer though!

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#19 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

This is a concept it seems some people can't understand. The graphics in GTA IV aren't bad at all.

Let's say you had two boxes that were the same size. One box labeled GTA IV and another box labeled Gears of War or something else.

Now the box labeled GTA might be filled to the top with 8 large chocolate chip cookies and the GTA IV box might be filled to the top with 40 small chocolate chip cookies.

Now someone can say "Whoa the cookies in the GoW box are fricking huge and I like those cookies better" but in reality they have the same amount of actual food in them.

One game pushes graphics in quality and the other pushes it in quantity

martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts

*sigh* must I say this again? ok.....

I think Gametrailers said it best :

"It's not really fair to hold a free roaming game like GTA to the same visual standards you'd expect from a shooter that runs on a pre-determined path. With such a vast enviroment coupled with the ability to do anything at anytime, some concessions have to be made. Not many have been made here. GTA 4 is one fine looking game."

For an open world game, GTA 4 still looks better than many linear games of this generation.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts
I guess all the traffic and that kind of stuff really takes up memory and cpu power because it can just be because it's a huge open world because Crysis was huge and still is by far the best looking game to date.
Avatar image for NOWHEREFADED120
NOWHEREFADED120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NOWHEREFADED120
Member since 2005 • 157 Posts
I think there are amazing considering everthing thats going on and im playing on a Standard television. Thnkx. Late.
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts
I'm pretty sure the original post is a troll, but honestly, no one I've showed the game to has been disappointed with the graphics.