Greatest X-box games of all time?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Vuud (1336 posts) -

Does the eggz-bawkz count as a legacy platorm? I dunno, anyway, I just recently came by an x-box but don't have any games for it. I'm browsing Amazon and I'm wondering what are the absolute best, must-play, x-box games ever? I'd like to try games I haven't played on the PC yet.

So far I got Halo 1 and 2, Splinter Cell series, Morrowind, One of the Tiger Woods games (Which one is best?) Chronicles of Riddick.

#2 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17114 posts) -

Ninja Gaiden, KOTOR, NFL 2K5, Crimson Skies, Fable, Jade Empire, PGR2, and DOA 2 Ultimate are worth getting if you haven't played them already.

#3 Posted by ristactionjakso (5725 posts) -

Max Payne.

Fable.

Knights of the Old Republic.

#4 Posted by roulettethedog (10965 posts) -

I love Pitfall :The Lost Expedition, Darkwatch, Crimson Skies, and Doom 3.

Doom 3 is on P.C. and Pitfall is on PS2 also.

#5 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
Dreamfall: The Longest Jourey Jade Empire Otogi Otogi 2 Gunvalkyrie (great gem) Guilty Gear X DOA2U Ninja Gaiden Stubbs the Zombie
#6 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

Dead or Alive 3

Shenmue 2

Halo

Halo 2

Half-Life 2

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

Outrun 2

Project Gothem Racing 2

Capcom vs SNK SVC Chaos

Doom 3

Still Life

Morrowind GOTY Edition

Max Payne

Max Payne 2

House of the Dead 3

Jetset Radio Future

#7 Posted by KillerJuan77 (3823 posts) -

Star Wars: KOTOR

Phantom Dust

Halo

Crimson Skies

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Gunvalkyrie

#9 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
I'm seeing that the majority of games listed here did have releases on PC so I hope you haven't played them yet TC. Even your list of games were all released for PC. So, maybe you're looking for the "best Xbox games that weren't on PS2 or GameCube". Though, even when they were on other consoles, they tended to be best on Xbox. That said, here are some exclusives, though their appeal may vary: Amped / Amped 2 Apex Blood Wake Breakdown Brute Force Conker: LIve and Reloaded (enhanced remake) Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller Crimson Skies (not the same as the PC version) DOA 3 Forza Motorsport Fuzion Frenzy (great party game) MechAssault / MechAssault 2 Midtown Madness 3 Ninja Gaiden/ NG Black Panzer Dragoon Orta Project Gotham Racing / PGR 2 RalliSport Challenge 2 Top Spin Unreal Championship 2 Voodoo Vince WWF Raw/Raw 2
#10 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

I love my XBox, there's a lot of great games on the black box:

Action/Adventure:

• Chronicles of Riddick
  • Destroy All Humans 1 & 2
  • Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City, & San Andreas
  • MechAssault 1 & 2
  • Spider-Man 1 & 2
  • Star Wars Battlefront 1 & 2

Action-RPG:

• Arx Fatalis
  • Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2
  • Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition
  • Fable
  • Jade Empire
  • Justice League Heroes
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Classic Game Compilations:

• Capcom Classic Collection Vol. 1 & 2
  • Mega Man Anniversary Collection
  • Sonic Mega Collection Plus
  • Taito Legends 1 & 2

Fighting Games:

• Marvel vs. Capcom 2
  • Mortal Kombat: Deception
  • Soul Calibur II
  • Street Fighter Anniversary Collection

First-Person Shooters:

• Doom 3
  • Halo: Combat Evolved
  • Halo 2
  • Red Faction II

Flying Games:

• Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge (such an underrated game)
  • Panzer Dragoon: Orta

Platformer:

• Pac-Man World 2

Wrestling:

• Showdown: Legends of Wrestling
  • WWE Raw 1 & 2
#11 Posted by TheBlackKnight3 (1586 posts) -

I love my XBox, there's a lot of great games on the black box:

Action/Adventure:

• Destroy All Humans 1 & 2
  • MechAssault
  • Spider-Man 1 & 2
  • Star Wars Battlefront 1 & 2

Action-RPG:

• Arx Fatalis
  • Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2
  • Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition
  • Fable
  • Jade Empire
  • Justice League Heroes
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Classic Game Compilations:

• Capcom Classic Collection Vol. 1 & 2
  • Mega Man Anniversary Collection
  • Sonic Mega Collection Plus
  • Taito Legends 1 & 2

Fighting Games:

• Marvel vs. Capcom 2
  • Mortal Kombat: Deception
  • Soul Calibur II
  • Street Fighter Anniversary Collection

Flying Games:

• Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge (such an underrated game)
  • Panzer Dragoon: Orta

Platformer:

• Pac-Man World 2

Wrestling:

• Showdown: Legends of Wrestling
  • WWE Raw 1 & 2

Emerald_Warrior

I suggest this list but just add in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Psychonauts.

#12 Posted by RTCWGR1SCRB6H2 (267 posts) -

Halo CE and 2 were my favourites (spent over a 1000 hours on them)

I understand most of these are ports but the tom clancy games and various other fps were so freaking amazing on xbl back in the day and way funner than any 360 game currently

#13 Posted by Alan-ex- (559 posts) -

Fatal Frame 2 Director's cut

#14 Posted by tjricardo089 (7429 posts) -

I only played Xbox in my friend's place years ago. And that was the only time I played it.

It was fun, there was Halo and King Kong, pretty fun.

#15 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -
a list depends on whether or not you're a PC gamer
#16 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

Some of my Favorites:

• Call of C'Thulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
  • Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
  • HULK (2003)
  • Painkiller
  • Conker ReLoaded
  • Crimson Skies
  • Armed & Dangerous
  • DOOM 3
  • Far Cry
  • Peter Jackson's KING KONG

#17 Posted by skooks (1411 posts) -

Jade Empire
Knights of the Old Republic
Halo & Halo 2
Psychonauts
Stubbs the Zombie
Unreal Championship 2
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
House of the Dead III
Doom 3
Panzer Dragoon: Orta

#18 Posted by Heirren (16834 posts) -

Halo

Halo 2

Top Spin

NFL2k

#19 Posted by SonOfChewbacca (653 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto Double Pack

Halo 1 & 2

Splinter Cell 1-4

Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden Black

Star Wars: KoTOR 1 & 2

Rainbow Six 3

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay

Doom 3

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Shenmue II

Jet Set Radio Future

Silent Hill 2

Fatal Frame 1 & 2

Rallisport Challenge 2

Forza Motorsport

Project Gotham Racing 2

Dead or Alive Ultimate

Soul Calibur II

Guilty Gear X2 #Reload

#20 Posted by Koi-Neon-X (2148 posts) -

Fable, Jade Empire, and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic are the only games I played for the XBOX so I'm going with those;)

#21 Posted by Residentevil999 (948 posts) -

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

Jade Empire

Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic 1 + 2

Brute Force

Psychonauts

Max Payne 1 + 2

Indigo Prophecy

#22 Posted by LP4EVA2005 (8585 posts) -
Fable.
#23 Posted by istuffedsunny (6984 posts) -
Just the Sega and Team Ninja stuff for me. Otogi 2 was insane, I don't think there's been a game since that had Otogi's level of destruction. The music was great too
#24 Posted by Kaszilla (1718 posts) -
Mechassault
#25 Posted by Seabas989 (10170 posts) -

PGR1 and 2

Halo 1 and 2

Ninja Gaiden and NG: Black

Burnout 3

#26 Posted by Uchiha_Sasuke1 (1635 posts) -
ninja gaiden was one of the game I finished for xbox. I think the game is worth to mention.
#27 Posted by magnax1 (4605 posts) -

Halo of course.

#28 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

Halo, Fable, Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, Republic Commando

#29 Posted by om3g4_prim3 (110 posts) -

Does the eggz-bawkz count as a legacy platorm? I dunno, anyway, I just recently came by an x-box but don't have any games for it. I'm browsing Amazon and I'm wondering what are the absolute best, must-play, x-box games ever? I'd like to try games I haven't played on the PC yet.

So far I got Halo 1 and 2, Splinter Cell series, Morrowind, One of the Tiger Woods games (Which one is best?) Chronicles of Riddick.

Vuud
This Thread deserves a POLL!
#30 Posted by om3g4_prim3 (110 posts) -

Jade Empire.......SO GOOD. amazing Bioware action rpg.

Psychonauts...... Amazing action platformer (tim schafer)

KOTOR and KOTOR II : awesome bioware RPGs' that were pre mass effect.

of course, halo. both of them.

#31 Posted by newkidwithhat (17 posts) -

FAR CRY: INSTINCTS

#32 Posted by Vuud (1336 posts) -

I also bought a used PS2 now! Got Fight Night and MGS3!

So now out of both xbox and ps2, which is THE best of both platforms for the following sports:

Golf

Pro-wrestling

aaaaaaand go!

#33 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

My personal top 10:

1. Shenmue II

2. Half Life 2

3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

4. Outrun 2

5. Panzer Dragoon Orta

6. Max Payne

7. Xyanide

8. Morrowind Game of the Year Edition

9. Halo

10. Roller Coaster Park Tycoon

#34 Posted by PAL360 (26830 posts) -

Halo CE

Halo 2

KOTOR

Star Wars Battlefront 2

Morrowind

Dead or Alive 3

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

Doom 3

Half Life 2

Ninja Gaiden

PGR 2

Forza Motorsport

Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy)

#35 Posted by jsmoke03 (12839 posts) -

kotor and kotor 2

#36 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

KOTOR, KOTOR 2, Splinter Cell, Chaos Theory, Fable, Halo, Vice City, Brute Force, Jade Empire, Stubbs the Zombie, Max Payne, Dreamfall: TLG, Manhunt.

#37 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
First and foremost, Steel Battalion. That game is worth owning an Xbox for, and people still do play Line of Contact through tunneling services. Sure, it's expensive because of that controller, but still totally worth it if you're into mech sims. The other actual Xbox exclusives (as in games that don't have superior PC versions) were mentioned already, stuff like Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future, even Breakdown.
#38 Posted by Kage1 (6732 posts) -

Ghost Recon

#39 Posted by SonOfChewbacca (653 posts) -

First and foremost, Steel Battalion. That game is worth owning an Xbox for, and people still do play Line of Contact through tunneling services. Sure, it's expensive because of that controller, but still totally worth it if you're into mech sims. The other actual Xbox exclusives (as in games that don't have superior PC versions) were mentioned already, stuff like Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future, even Breakdown.NamelessPlayer

Ten years later and I still haven't played Steel Battalion. One of these days, though... One of these days. That and Metal Wolf Chaos, but I have no idea how to play it on my American console.

#40 Posted by Vuud (1336 posts) -

So far none of these new suggestions have been golf or wrasslin'. Do you read the thread?

#41 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

So far none of these new suggestions have been golf or wrasslin'. Do you read the thread?

Vuud

http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/23444000/ngbbs4eb1777630dc3.jpg

...sorry. I saw this a few days ago, and just couldn't resist.

#42 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

my personal favourite? probably GTA Vice City, seriously the Xbox version is really good (even better than the PC in some ways)

if you were to take that out, it would probably be DOAU.

#43 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
Ten years later and I still haven't played Steel Battalion. One of these days, though... One of these days. That and Metal Wolf Chaos, but I have no idea how to play it on my American console.SonOfChewbacca
I'm sure you'll get a shot at it some day. Until then, keep saving. Also can't believe I forgot about Metal Wolf Chaos for a moment. Too bad From Software just can't find a publisher with the balls to release it here in the States, even if they know there's an audience.
my personal favourite? probably GTA Vice City, seriously the Xbox version is really good (even better than the PC in some ways)Darkman2007
Care to elaborate on that latter part? I know the Xbox versions of GTA III and VC had upgraded car models as a result of being released much later than the initial PC ports of those games, but I'm pretty sure they're backported to the PC by now, which has the benefits of HD resolutions, better sound, better controls, mods, etc. Of course, San Andreas had a delayed release for PC and Xbox, but it was more or less simultaneous for those two, resulting in the upgraded Xbox assets being in the PC version from the get-go.
#44 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -
[QUOTE="SonOfChewbacca"]Ten years later and I still haven't played Steel Battalion. One of these days, though... One of these days. That and Metal Wolf Chaos, but I have no idea how to play it on my American console.NamelessPlayer
I'm sure you'll get a shot at it some day. Until then, keep saving. Also can't believe I forgot about Metal Wolf Chaos for a moment. Too bad From Software just can't find a publisher with the balls to release it here in the States, even if they know there's an audience.
my personal favourite? probably GTA Vice City, seriously the Xbox version is really good (even better than the PC in some ways)Darkman2007
Care to elaborate on that latter part? I know the Xbox versions of GTA III and VC had upgraded car models as a result of being released much later than the initial PC ports of those games, but I'm pretty sure they're backported to the PC by now, which has the benefits of HD resolutions, better sound, better controls, mods, etc. Of course, San Andreas had a delayed release for PC and Xbox, but it was more or less simultaneous for those two, resulting in the upgraded Xbox assets being in the PC version from the get-go.

well Im thinking more of the vanilla PC version. I have both and the Xbox version has some nicer effects and slightly better character models, I haven't heard of any updates like that to the PC version (unless youre thinking of mods) also something about the PC controls isn't right.
#45 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]well Im thinking more of the vanilla PC version. I have both and the Xbox version has some nicer effects and slightly better character models, I haven't heard of any updates like that to the PC version (unless youre thinking of mods) also something about the PC controls isn't right.

I'd like to see a screenshot comparison...or maybe I'll just make the comparison myself. Note that mods are more or less expected when I discuss the PC version of any particular game. For instance, I use a utility called SAAC for seamless KB+M/gamepad control switching, since gamepads make more sense in vehicles due to analog controls, but KB+M is far more effective on foot due to mouse aim allowing for easy headshots. Also, being able to play in beyond-HD resolutions with ludicrous draw distance is its own perk. The Xbox version's limited to 480p like most other Xbox games (save the few that actually do run at 720p or even 1080i), if I'm not mistaken.
#46 Posted by benleslie5 (7817 posts) -

Games I've enjoyed on the Xbox-

• Halo Combat Evolved
  • Dead or Alive 3
  • Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
  • Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Panzar Dragoon Orta

#47 Posted by ram192 (20 posts) -
Halo, Halo 2, Half-Life 2, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Fable, Rainbow Six 3,
#48 Posted by Heirren (16834 posts) -
Xbox, my most played system while it's given gen was going on, has not aged well.
#49 Posted by Jag85 (4455 posts) -

Burnout 3: Takedown

Dead or Alive 3

Fable

Need For Speed: Underground

Ninja Gaiden

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

SSX Tricky

#50 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
So now out of both xbox and ps2, which is THE best of both platforms for (...) Pro-wrestlingVuud
Rumble Roses