• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ModeDude (1135 posts) -

I missed out on a lot of games in that era, so I was thinking I could try and find some good RPGs for the console. Just any good RPG will do, have already played Golden Sun, Kingdom Hearts and Pokemon.

#2 Posted by gamefree2 (2073 posts) -

You could try the Final Fantasy games or maybe if you want to play something abit different then try out the Fire Emblem games even though they're SRPGs.

#3 Posted by spazzx625 (43432 posts) -
Final Fantasy 6 is a must-play
#5 Posted by IntenseJohn (107 posts) -

I always thought Fire Emblem was a great game. You should try it out. I was addicted.

#6 Posted by lazyathew (3748 posts) -

Yup, Fire Emblem is a great series. Also Tales of Phantasia.

#7 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -

Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis- Deep and lengthy strategy RPG with a great story.

Monster Rancher Advance- Fun monster collecting RPG in a similar vain to the Pokemon series.

Shining Force: Ressurrection of the Dark Dragon- Excellent remake of the first Shining Force

Mega Man Battle Network- Retains the charm & style of the MegaMan games and wraps it all up in an RPG

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance- Strategy RPG with loads of content. You can easily sink hundreds of hours into this game.

#8 Posted by dsrules13 (1624 posts) -

Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis Monster Rancher Advance Shining Force: Ressurrection of the Dark Dragon Mega Man Battle Network Final Fantasy Tactics AdvanceAcidSoldner

All of these are good. Also play the Mario and Luigi RPG.

#9 Posted by TheTrueMagusX1 (2560 posts) -

A good game alot of people donot know about thats on the GBA is Riviera: The Promised Land. Its a very cool game and has some nice unique elements to it. I would highly reccomend tracking that game down.

Riviera

#10 Posted by FaithfulBro (119 posts) -
Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, and Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. all are Fantastic.
#11 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -

A good game alot of people donot know about thats on the GBA is Riviera: The Promised Land. Its a very cool game and has some nice unique elements to it. I would highly reccomend tracking that game down.

Riviera

TheTrueMagusX1

I'm one of the ones who hasn't heard of it lol. I'm definitely gonna check this out as anything stamped with ATLUS is usually awesome.

#12 Posted by Urworstnhtmare (2630 posts) -

Final Fantasy 4.

Im playing through it a third time :P

#13 Posted by TheKungFool (5384 posts) -

LUNAR :)

#14 Posted by TheTrueMagusX1 (2560 posts) -

TheKungFool

No, this about great JRPGs. The port of Lunar on the GBA is imo one of the worst ports I have ever seen. If the TC would ever play Lunar, go Sega CD, PSP, or PSX. Not the horrible GBA port.

#15 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8086 posts) -
Final Fantasy IV, V, VI Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis Tales of Phantasia

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

TheTrueMagusX1

No, this about great JRPGs. The port of Lunar on the GBA is imo one of the worst ports I have ever seen. If the TC would ever play Lunar, go Sega CD, PSP, or PSX. Not the horrible GBA port.

Agreed, though if he can't get any of the other versions it is still fairly decent.
#16 Posted by Double_Wide (1985 posts) -

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance- Strategy RPG with loads of content. You can easily sink hundreds of hours into this game.

AcidSoldner

No, No, NO! This game is an abominination and sorely reflects on what Final Fantasy Tactics truly is! You start the game off in a frickin snow ball fight for goodness sake!

Final Fantasy I & 2: Dawn of Souls, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy V, and Final Fantasy VI

All the Pokemon games too espeically Fire Red and Leaf Green.

#18 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17112 posts) -

I haven't played many GBA rPG's outside of Pokemon, but I did play Mario and Luigi Super star Saga. It was a good game, with great writing.

#19 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -

[QUOTE="Double_Wide"]

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

TheTrueMagusX1

No, No, NO! This game is an abominination and sorely reflects on what Final Fantasy Tactics truly is! You start the game off in a frickin snow ball fight for goodness sake!

Final Fantasy I & 2: Dawn of Souls, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy V, and Final Fantasy VI

All the Pokemon games too espeically Fire Red and Leaf Green.

Acid donot listen to this guy, this is the guy who thinks FFXIII is worse than Big Rigs Over the Road racing and Superman 64.

Haha don't worry, I had a blast with FFTA.

I can understand if he's slightly put off by the story compared to FFT but thats no reason to disregard the game. It had everything FFT had and more.

#20 Posted by Old_Schooler_Dan (436 posts) -
Final Fantasy 6 is a must-playspazzx625
#22 Posted by riou7 (10837 posts) -

I recommend Fire emblem games on gba

#23 Posted by TheKungFool (5384 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

TheTrueMagusX1

well, you're welcome to your own opinion, but I disagree.

Sure, its obviously not as good as the PSone, SegaCD or PSP version, but LUNAR on the GBA is still good in its own right.

(its definitely better than many of the other suggestions that have been made)

#24 Posted by TheTrueMagusX1 (2560 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

TheKungFool

well, you're welcome to your own opinion, but I disagree.

Sure, its obviously not as good as the PSone, SegaCD or PSP version, but LUNAR on the GBA is still good in its own right.

(its definitely better than many of the other suggestions that have been made)

I disagree that its better than most of the other suggestion. Lunar Legends suffers from various issues, and to me in that state imo its not the way Lunar was meant to be experience, plus the Ubisoft is quite poor imo. I know there are those that donot like the americanization of the WD scripts, but the Ubisoft script is just poorly composed. Also the games feels...I donot know it just lacks the Lunar feel. If some one wants to play lunar I say go with the PSP port, even if it is far too easy, its imo better than the GBA port.

#25 Posted by Allicrombie (25419 posts) -
Glad to see someone else recommended Dawn of Souls. I'm a sucker for the classics.
#26 Posted by zhivago_x (412 posts) -

My recommendations: Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon and Phantasy Star

#27 Posted by Ragnarok-64 (1295 posts) -

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, if you are into this kind of thing.
I personally loved it :) my favourite Mario & Luigi game.

#29 Posted by Double_Wide (1985 posts) -

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

Acid donot listen to this guy, this is the guy who thinks FFXIII is worse than Big Rigs Over the Road racing and Superman 64.

TheTrueMagusX1

I can understand if he's slightly put off by the story compared to FFT but thats no reason to disregard the game. It had everything FFT had and more.

Yeah Double Wide thinks he knows what a bad game is, but he has no grasp on the concept. He thinks he is some sort of Final Fantasy expert, but proves time and time again he knows nothing of the series in reality.

Really tho? Besides the 3 to 4 post disagreement you and I had on FFXIII, when have I ever asserted myself as a FF expert? Was it because I merely compared my experience with FFXIII to the many other FF games I've played for nearly a decade? That doesn't make me an expert just a fan with expectations and the right to vent about them when they aren't met.

That certainly doesn't give you the right to slander me on these boards with no provication. Like I said, get a life and stop making things so personal.

#30 Posted by TheTrueMagusX1 (2560 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

Double_Wide

Yeah Double Wide thinks he knows what a bad game is, but he has no grasp on the concept. He thinks he is some sort of Final Fantasy expert, but proves time and time again he knows nothing of the series in reality.

Really tho? Besides the 3 to 4 post disagreement you and I had on FFXIII, when have I ever asserted myself as a FF expert? Was it because I merely compared my experience with FFXIII to the many other FF games I've played for nearly a decade? That doesn't make me an expert just a fan with expectations and the right to vent about them when they aren't met.

That certainly doesn't give you the right to slander me on these boards with no provication. Like I said, get a life and stop making things so personal.

Its not slander I am saying the exact things you said which you just confessed to saying. I am simply proving a point as that you are trying to invalidate an opinion and makes yours fact. I am showing how contradictory you are when you do this to others, so hence why I bring up your old arguments. I am not taking anything personal, I am simply proving a point to you. No, you have a right to oppinions, but you attacked others, so hence I brought up the FFXIII argument as its the same thing you did earlier. If anything, I am not angry, it seems you are.

#31 Posted by Double_Wide (1985 posts) -

It is slander due to you saying "Do not listen to this person because they do not know what they are talking about" and also by saying that I stated something that I never did! I never said that I was an expert just experienced in playing the series.

No, what you are doing is validating your own opinion at my expense. If anything that you have to say is relevant then you don't even have respond to my post, more or less bash it! There's nothing contridictory about sharing my opinions when asked to do so.

You singled me out on your own because you have personal problem with me. If you have any issue with me, then man up and send it directly to me in my inbox.

Who did I attack? Square Enix by calling FFTA an abomination? I certainly did not attack the user that recommended the game...just the game itself. You personally attacked my insight on video games. Like I said, if you have a problem, inbox me! On the boards, in someone else's topic is not the place!

#32 Posted by TheTrueMagusX1 (2560 posts) -

It is slander due to you saying "Do not listen to this person because they do not know what they are talking about" and also by saying that I stated something that I never did! I never said that I was an expert just experienced in playing the series.

No, what you are doing is validating your own opinion at my expense. If anything that you have to say is relevant then you don't even have respond to my post, more or less bash it! There's nothing contridictory about sharing my opinions when asked to do so.

You singled me out on your own because you have personal problem with me. If you have any issue with me, then man up and send it directly to me in my inbox.

Who did I attack? Square Enix by calling FFTA an abomination? I certainly did not attack the user that recommended the game...just the game itself. You personally attacked my insight on video games. Like I said, if you have a problem, inbox me! On the boards, in someone else's topic is not the place!

Double_Wide

No you failed to grasp the situation. The real problem has nothing to do with anything personal. What you did was some one stated that they liked FFTA, you got upset about it, and yes you did, you attempted to invalidate their opinion, and hence why I came in and defended Acid Soldner who you were obviously upset about it. Your attitude was "oh you like a game I donot, your not good enough." That is how it came across so hence it has nothing to do with peronsal attacks. I brought back that old FFXIII to show how you how it is to be in that guys situation. You fail to see what is personal and not, this is not personal, and thus I am going to PM you on a problem I donot have. The problem I do have is completely relevant to forum debate and nothing agaisnt your life outside of the forums or anything.

#33 Posted by ModeDude (1135 posts) -
This is not a topic to argue about your opinions on games and how to present them, I made it to hear about decent RPGs for the GBA. Please take your disagreement somewhere else. In other news, just managed to get ahold of some FF GBA games, will play them soon once I'm finished with FFXIII.
#34 Posted by BranKetra (49387 posts) -

I always thought Fire Emblem was a great game. You should try it out. I was addicted.

IntenseJohn
The Sacred Stones is also good. A lot of the other stuff mentioned, too.
#35 Posted by Double_Wide (1985 posts) -

This is not a topic to argue about your opinions on games and how to present them, I made it to hear about decent RPGs for the GBA. Please take your disagreement somewhere else. In other news, just managed to get ahold of some FF GBA games, will play them soon once I'm finished with FFXIIIModeDude

Exactly! This is why I wanted him to just inbox me...things got off topic as soon as he decided to dedicate 2 posts to my credibility. I would like to apologize for having reduced myself to TheTrueMagusX1's level and turning your forum topic into a playground. Sorry.

#36 Posted by TheTrueMagusX1 (2560 posts) -

[QUOTE="ModeDude"]This is not a topic to argue about your opinions on games and how to present them, I made it to hear about decent RPGs for the GBA. Please take your disagreement somewhere else. In other news, just managed to get ahold of some FF GBA games, will play them soon once I'm finished with FFXIIIDouble_Wide

Exactly! This is why I wanted him to just inbox me...things got off topic as soon as he decided to dedicate 2 posts to my credibility. I would like to apologize for having reduced myself to TheTrueMagusX1's level and turning your forum topic into a playground. Sorry.

To my level huh? Welly ou did attack some one for liking a game you donot like so...

#37 Posted by CMFreezy (656 posts) -
Golden Sun is the best GBA RPG.
#38 Posted by rawsavon (40002 posts) -
Both of the Fire Emblems ...one of my top 3 series ever
#39 Posted by CD-i_ownz (494 posts) -

Fire Emblem games, easily

#40 Posted by cprmauldin (1567 posts) -

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Phantasy Star I and II

Pokemon Titles (Of course)

DBZ: Legacy of goku I and II

#41 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Phantasy Star I and II

Pokemon Titles (Of course)

DBZ: Legacy of goku I and II

cprmauldin

How could I forget about the Legacy of Goku games? They weren't exceptional games by any means but they were damn enjoyable!

#42 Posted by Decoy123 (816 posts) -

Goldensun was great, and for an action rpg i love the dbz:legacy of goku games.

#43 Posted by TheDrowking420 (1 posts) -
what anime do you have on your message board of great GBA games about fire emblem and tales of phantasia
#44 Posted by Zarden (172 posts) -

what anime do you have on your message board of great GBA games about fire emblem and tales of phantasiaTheDrowking420

What ... ?

#45 Posted by ristactionjakso (6115 posts) -

check out the final fantasy remakes. I have # 5, 6, and tactics and they are all very good.

breath of fire 1 and 2 are great.

zelda a link to the past.

Zelda the minish cap.

Fire Emblem is addicting.

DBZ, legacy of goku 2 (#1 was pretty bad) and the Buu saga, it comes with 2 games int it.

Im sure there are more, but i cant remember what i have.

#46 Posted by commonfate (12697 posts) -

Fire Emblem

Thank me later

#47 Posted by commonfate (12697 posts) -

Both of the Fire Emblems ...one of my top 3 series everrawsavon

Been working on a top 50 games of all time series blog (or rather neglecting recently)...

One of the Fire Emblems will be very high up there.

#48 Posted by UprootedDreamer (2036 posts) -
Fire Emblem or FF6.
#49 Posted by rawsavon (40002 posts) -

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Both of the Fire Emblems ...one of my top 3 series evercommonfate

Been working on a top 50 games of all time series blog (or rather neglecting recently)...

One of the Fire Emblems will be very high up there.

I saw your bottom games of that list. Let me know when you finish (seeing as how our tastes are so similar, I am curious)
#50 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

Lunar Legends...I donot know it just lacks the Lunar feel. If some one wants to play lunar I say go with the PSP port, even if it is far too easy, its imo better than the GBA port.

TheTrueMagusX1

I agree here. The real game had CD quality orchestral scores and great animated cut scenes with good voice acting. Pretty much every version since has had the same except for the GBA version. It's a CD-sized game crammed on a little cartridge and it loses way to much in the transaltion.