Graphics Don't Matter - Hypocritical?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#51 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

People say graphics don't matter in response to the massive amount of people who obsess over nothing but graphics. Just go over to the system wars forum and all you see is a bunch of morons comparing graphics/FPS/What P the game can display in, and whenever a new game is announced everyone judges it completely on how it looks. Now most sane people recognize that gameplay is what matters most, but you will see people talking about how unimportant graphics are in response to the rabid graphic whores who talk exclusively about them.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#52 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@mdk12345 said:

@-paranorman- said:

For a while now, people have been arguing that graphics do not matter when it comes to video games. I don't think people who say this understand the hypocrisy behind such words. The main reason I find it very hypocritical is because people argue that new games are too flashy while older games are not. They argue that a game doesn't have to look good in order to be enjoyable. This alone does not make sense. Games have always looked great, no matter what gen you grew up with. You will have to admit that the gen you grew up with was once the prime of graphics for their time. This means that you are still playing beautiful looking games. Just because a game does not look up to date does not mean that it is ugly and that each one has some kind of unmeetable gameplay. Games being made today still hold up and feel like older games while still looking fantastic. One game in particular is Stryder on the PSN.

Another reason I think there is hypocrisy behind the new "Graphics don't matter" movement is the people themselves. Arguing about graphics not mattering is actually arguing that graphics do matter. They judge great looking games based on the looks themselves. They somehow assume that a game that looks fantastic will be disappointing while seeing a game that looks like it was made for the SNES (which still looks fantastic) will be a great success. They also encourage people to play games that are not as flashy because the gameplay is somehow 10x better. That is the most false statement I have ever heard. Since when did graphics have to do with gameplay?

Anyway, my opinion on the argument is just my opinion and anyone can feel free to reply and add your thoughts. I won't attack you on your opinion.

My 2 cents.

Now you understand why people like myself think that super advanced graphics equate to worse gameplay. It's undeniable. Everyone here tries to shit on me when I tell them that this is generally true. At the very least it's an opinion, but we can agree that games today play very differently. Play Sol Divide on PS1. It's just bad ass. Compare that to Death Smiles on 360. Deathsmiles still very cool, but eh.. It doesn't have that mystical feel, that feel that captures your imagination. I think that HDTVs can make a game look too flashy. Video games are supposed to look like video games. Often times the HDTV will make the game feel more like reality. And that can make some people sad because people want to feel like they're playing a game that's far away from reality. Some of us want to play a game that gives us this magical feeling I can't describe. No new games can do that. It's not nostalgia. (That's another topic) It's charm. Older video games give you this sense of peace and it feels like the devs are there to hold your hand and make you happy. Today's games feel too artificially intelligent. For instance, would you want to play a Real life Mario? You see what I mean? They're starting to take it too far, they aren't there yet, but that's the direction they are trying to go. And yes I do see the games changing. Everything is more complicated now.

Please don't bump old threads.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It's been a while since I heard "graphics don't matter."

From all indications, it seems graphics matter. The only arguments I've seen center around which platform has the best graphics.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54  Edited By Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Well, it's like you said, TC. The graphics are great regardless of whichever era it's in (hell, I used to think Perfect Dark on the N64 was the absolute shit s far as graphics go).

I think the reason for the whole "graphics don't matter" thing is because of the giant graphical leap between console gens. So there was that whole "**** yea, awesome graphiks" phase which pretty much started with Doom 3 and dominated the entire last generation of consoles.

That sort of thing has been gradually lessening over the years since the graphical leaps have been much smaller, so I don't see it being as much of a thing as it once was.

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By kakamoura
Member since 2014 • 222 Posts

I have no idea what the word "matter" means any more.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Wow, it's only been 4 months since I posted this? I remember posting this but it feels like it's been a year or two. Anyway, yeah. The opinion on graphics is the same as the opinion on music. It's very subjective. Everyone is drawn to the flashy or the 8bit graphics and in reality, none of them look bad. The 8bit games coming out today are still in HD which I think is funny but awesome.

matt2790

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

User Lists: 6

#57 matt2790
Member since 2014 • 184 Posts

Let's be realistic here, graphics do matter, they don't have to look real to have amazing graphics, a lot of games look amazing artistically and don't look real, we all like good graphics..

But giving more importance to graphics than gameplay or story? That's exactly what can't happen. Graphics can attract you a lot but I think good story and a great gameplay both must be given much importance than graphics..

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

that's the go to excuse from lems (xbox fans) because they got destroyed in that dept. this gen.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#60 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@mdk12345: Don't bump old threads. Locked.

-Byshop