Grand Theft Auto V Delayed, Coming 9.17.2013

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by IC3_C0LD_ZERO (297 posts) -

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/48591/grand-theft-auto-v-is-coming-9172013.html

It was clear from the start that they weren't confident with the release date. No surprise to me at all. 

#2 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

I can wait. Godstar will deliver once again. That's all that matters.

#3 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Disappointing to say the least.

Doesnt bode too well for the PC version either.

#4 Posted by Archangel3371 (16251 posts) -
No problem. There's so many great games coming out in the next little while plus I'd like to pick up a Wii U sometime soon so I'll be plenty busy from now until then.
#5 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

Fine by me. Never got upset over a delay yet.

#6 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

Hugely disappointed that it's been delayed, despite knowing it'll be worth the wait. Definitely my most anticipated game.

#7 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18418 posts) -
Rather wait and get an amazing game that have it come out now and be a buggy mess.
#8 Posted by Metamania (12025 posts) -

I can understand why people are disappointed, but they shouldn't be surprised though. I knew this was going to happen; it isn't just about polishing up the game to make it look better. Rockstar is more than likely gearing up for a massive advertisement campaign that's probably planned for years and knowing them, we will see it in effect in the months to come. Also, they are using this time to hype it up at E3, more than likely with some gameplay footage and we'll probably hear multple impressions of the game from various game sites, Gamespot included.

I wasn't a fan of GTA IV all that much, so I'm hoping that GTA V will be a much, MUCH better experience in the end.

#9 Posted by Justforvisit (2660 posts) -

I can understand why people are disappointed, but they shouldn't be surprised though. I knew this was going to happen; it isn't just about polishing up the game to make it look better. Rockstar is more than likely gearing up for a massive advertisement campaign that's probably planned for years and knowing them, we will see it in effect in the months to come. Also, they are using this time to hype it up at E3, more than likely with some gameplay footage and we'll probably hear multple impressions of the game from various game sites, Gamespot included.

I wasn't a fan of GTA IV all that much, so I'm hoping that GTA V will be a much, MUCH better experience in the end.

Metamania

Seconded.

And I'm as well not surprised, we have seen almost nothing of the game so far and then already going into the market with it would have been just complete insanity. Even with a well known name like GTA, selling a Mystery would be not very successful I assume.

#10 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -
I've got no shortage of things to play right now, so no worries. I am a bit bummed that it is going to come out so close to the launch of next gen consoles. I know that the next Playstation and Xbox won't have great install bases, but it would be nice to see a port.
#11 Posted by D3s7rUc71oN (5180 posts) -

They finally announced a release date, not surprised it got delayed. So many games coming out in the next few months. Will they released a port for the new consoles? 

#12 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
My take two stock... :(
#13 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

I just want them to tell us what they are putting in the special edition releases! 

#14 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

Any word on a pc version yet ?  I don't wanna have to borrow or buy a console to play it :(.

#15 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
It will probably mean a better, more polished game in the end so I can wait. There are tons of good games coming out anyways.
#16 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

I can understand the need for the delay but I'm still sorely disappointed. Other than Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light (which now doesn't have any definite release date), GTA V was the only game I was really interested in this spring. 

Also, I know GTA is a huge franchise, but I can't help but wonder if launching on the verge of the next generation is a good thing. 

#17 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

Truly, I predicted this from the outset.

They almost always delay their games and usually, those delays give us something that is much better in the final analysis.

#18 Posted by sukraj (24020 posts) -

Hugely disappointed that it's been delayed, despite knowing it'll be worth the wait. Definitely my most anticipated game.

Venom_Raptor

i thought far cry 3 was ur number one game.

#19 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

I can understand the need for the delay but I'm still sorely disappointed. Other than Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light (which now doesn't have any definite release date), GTA V was the only game I was really interested in this spring. 

Also, I know GTA is a huge franchise, but I can't help but wonder if launching on the verge of the next generation is a good thing. 

Vari3ty

Not that many people will have the next gen consoles right away anyway. The launch of next gen systems won't eat in to GTA sales. And besides, who's to say Rockstar won't port it to next gen systems for launch? Maybe that's why the delay was so big.

#20 Posted by zombehhhhh (452 posts) -

I had a feeling it was going to be delayed. At least it's still coming out this year. And I'll follow Rockstar to hell and back. They're by far my favorite devs of all time. GTA V will be amazing.

#21 Posted by SoNin360 (5692 posts) -

tumblr_m0ck2zGlRh1qcvmswo1_400.jpg

More time to play other games, but still very excited, even if the wait is going to be a bit longer.

#22 Posted by GT90 (6256 posts) -

Not terribly surprising considering we've only seen two trailers and a bunch of screenshots. Usually Rockstar likes to show off a bit more than that. I just hope that it's better than GTA4. I could not stand the weak characters in that game.

#23 Posted by sukraj (24020 posts) -

I'm not mad that its been delayed.

#24 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

I'm fine with the delay, I've got lots of stuff to play. Gamasutra has speculated that the delay might reflect that MS (who has thrown a lot of money at GTA in the past) has decided to buy a window of exclusivity for the X720 version. That would be a brilliant move.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/185855/Why_GTA_Vs_delay_could_cause_an_industrywide_ripple_effect.php

Microsoft has showered Rockstar with money in the past, buying first-pass rights for DLC content for GTA IV. It's entirely possible the company has done so again, buying an exclusive port of GTA V for the next generation Xbox -- and wanted the launches closer together. (Sony doesn't seem to be in a financial position to do so at present.)

Sales of the game would be minimal, since the install base of the system will be so comparatively small, but it would give Microsoft an important bragging right -- and make its next generation system seem very current and relevant to core gamers, who will be critical to this upcoming generation. (Keep in mind, those Destiny court documents that came out during Activision's legal fight with Jason West and Vince Zampella indicate that Destiny will be exclusive to the system as well, so having GTA in the fold as well would be a killer one-two punch.)

#25 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

I'm fine with the delay, I've got lots of stuff to play. Gamasutra has speculated that the delay might reflect that MS (who has thrown a lot of money at GTA in the past) has decided to buy a window of exclusivity for the X720 version. That would be a brilliant move.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/185855/Why_GTA_Vs_delay_could_cause_an_industrywide_ripple_effect.php

Microsoft has showered Rockstar with money in the past, buying first-pass rights for DLC content for GTA IV. It's entirely possible the company has done so again, buying an exclusive port of GTA V for the next generation Xbox -- and wanted the launches closer together. (Sony doesn't seem to be in a financial position to do so at present.)

Sales of the game would be minimal, since the install base of the system will be so comparatively small, but it would give Microsoft an important bragging right -- and make its next generation system seem very current and relevant to core gamers, who will be critical to this upcoming generation. (Keep in mind, those Destiny court documents that came out during Activision's legal fight with Jason West and Vince Zampella indicate that Destiny will be exclusive to the system as well, so having GTA in the fold as well would be a killer one-two punch.)

CarnageHeart

Lol that would never happen. At the most microsoft will have some timed 720 exclusive dlc like with GTA IV.

#26 Posted by Treflis (11834 posts) -
I did think the release date being this spring was a little soon.
#27 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

lol No. No matter how much money EA is going to throw at Rockstar, it wouldnt be anything compared to the hit 2K is going to take at the stock exchange for delaying their biggest title almost two quarters. 

I can get behind the rumors that the MS has bought the next gen GTAV exclusivity but bought the delay? Impossible. Rockstar just needs more time with the game and they've shown time and time again that they would launch the game when it's ready. 

And there is the Destiny exclusitivity I was talking about. It's going to be a timed exclusive but there you go.

#28 Posted by GhettoBlastin92 (1231 posts) -
Let them perfect this game.
#29 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

lol No. No matter how much money EA is going to throw at Rockstar, it wouldnt be anything compared to the hit 2K is going to take at the stock exchange for delaying their biggest title almost two quarters. 

I can get behind the rumors that the MS has bought the next gen GTAV exclusivity but bought the delay? Impossible. Rockstar just needs more time with the game and they've shown time and time again that they would launch the game when it's ready. 

And there is the Destiny exclusitivity I was talking about. It's going to be a timed exclusive but there you go.

S0lidSnake

At this point I'd be more worried about someone like Activision buying Take-Two. There have been rumors for years about a potential buyout, but it's never come to fruition. With COD seemingly headed downhill and WoW showing chinks in the armour, you've got to think Activision is considering it, especially now since the Take-Two stock has taken a hit. 

Although I think this would be one of the worst things for the industry if it were to happen, crossing my fingers it doesn't. *knock on wood*

#30 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (7203 posts) -
Meh...
#31 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1366 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto V delayed and Saints Row 4 either cancelled or put in the hands of another developer, this year better get better.

#32 Posted by CreatureRising (1532 posts) -

I'm only sad that I won't have my summer to play it.  Hard too invest the time to play a rockstar game during the school year. Oh well, no doubt it'll be worth the wait.