Gran Turismo 6 launch sales were just a fifth of GT5's in UK

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

In a world where Mario is still being outsold by Knack and people willingly pay taxes to fund the extravagant lifestyle of their royal class, GT6 debuted with five times fewer sales than GT5 on a console with twice the userbase.

After disappointing sales of Beyond and God of War Ascension, GT6 is the latest casualty for a company that ironically greenlit these games for last gen consoles to maximize sales on a much larger userbase.

Sony fans couldn’t be reached for a comment today, but rest assured they will tout Sony’s support for a dying last gen system hampered by poor outdated tech not realizing that their shiny $400 console does not even have a cross gen version of these games.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-09-gran-turismo-6-launch-sales-were-just-a-fifth-of-gt5s

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

The UK gamers were absolutely starved for next gen, it seems. Had it been on PS4, I'm sure it would have shattered records.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

How many days was it on sale?

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I think a big part of the problem is the public being ready to move on to next gen, but another big part is GT5, which shipped absolutely broken. Sure, it was eventually patched into a state of competence, but shipping it in the state was disgraceful. I felt like I had preordered my copy and paid my $60 only to be reduced to the role of beta tester.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CarnageHeart

@dvader654 said:

Good. Maybe Sony rethinks their strategy.

I don't think we were going to see any new PS3 announcement from Sony no matter how sales went.

Also, as I've said before I think that Sony continuing to strongly support the PS3 while its competitors let their systems die was a good move. Its easier to sell the successor to system people are still actively playing than the successor to a system which has been collecting dust for the past few years (Remember that system you don't play anymore? We're making another!).

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CarnageHeart

@dvader654 said:

@CarnageHeart said:

@dvader654 said:

Good. Maybe Sony rethinks their strategy.

I don't think we were going to see any new PS3 announcement from Sony no matter how sales went.

Also, as I've said before I think that Sony continuing to strongly support the PS3 while its competitors let their systems die was a good move. Its easier to sell the successor to system people are still actively playing than the successor to a system which has been collecting dust for the past few years (Remember that system you don't play anymore? We're making another!).

They can support both. There is no reason not to have a cross gen version of GT6.

After the GT5 fiasco, asking them to develop a crossgen game would been extremely optimistic. I'm kind of amazed Polyphony Digital shipped GT6 so quickly in what reviewers (haven't read much player opinion) claim is a reasonably complete state.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

@CarnageHeart: You must have incredibly low standards then . :P

If Ubisoft, EA and Activision can put out SIX different versions of their games then Sony’s first party should be able to have two versions ready by launch.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

Why this game wasn't held back a year or so to be a PS4 exclusive is beyond me. I thought it was a dumb move ever since I heard about it.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

They've already said they're working on a GT 7 for PS4 already and it could be out as early as next year.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@GodModeEnabled: I remember thinking the same thing when God Of War 2 arrived on PS2, well after PS3 was a thing.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

@dvader654: Sounded like it was too soon to me as well, but when the quite comes from the man himself he gets the benefit of the doubt.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/gran-turismo-7-is-coming-in-2014-2013-11-20

Whether it materialises next year or not is neither here nor there, but even suggesting it will have dampened GT 6 sales, and it can't be that far off if he's thinking it might out next year

Slannmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 Slannmage
Member since 2005 • 6975 Posts

People probably more excited for Forza 5.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CarnageHeart

@Slannmage said:

People probably more excited for Forza 5.

Its unlikely games exclusive to different platforms are impacting each other's performance.

That being said, I think its hilarious that Knack is still outselling Mario in the UK.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/call-of-duty-still-top-as-gran-turismo-6-stalls-at-the-green-light/0125516

Fellow PS4 exclusive Knack falls from 13th to 18th, though still outpaces Nintendo’s Super Mario 3D World which falls six places to 20th.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

I expect it to be like that in other territories as well,after the disapointment that GT5 was many people aren´t gonna be fooled again.

LeftClick007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By LeftClick007
Member since 2013 • 77 Posts

Should of released it on PC too, lol. I know, I know that would never happen but I was very curious about GT6. I played a good amount of GT5 when it was released and then eventually went back to PC sims, then eventually sold my PS3. I wasn't too excited when I found out that GT6 wasn't going to be on the PS4, it was one more reason not to get a PS4. I'm going to be moving to a 4K display in 2014, GT6 obviously doesnt support 4K, but will GT7 support 4K? We'll find out, I doubt it though.

colibriosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 colibriosis
Member since 2010 • 598 Posts

@S0lidSnake: First of all, awesome post. Secondly, doesn't it seem like the gaming world overall is fudging up alot lately? It was a horrible decision, but money hungry businesses tend to go overboard when they feel invincible. GT6 isn't even that great nor does it feel like an upgrade really...it's been a fail waiting to happen ever since they revealed it would release for a last-gen console on the same month next-gen launched.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

As it has already been said many times, Gran Turismo 6 would have much more potential as a PS4 title. Sony giving support to the PS3 after the launch of the PS4 is decent of that company, but I would rather buy a new game for that new system.