GOTY 2008 predictions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DrSalvador4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 DrSalvador4
Member since 2007 • 76 Posts

I know it's a little early to tell, but still, i'm pretty sure it's going to be like this

PC: Spore

360: Grand Theft Auto IV

PS3: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots

Wii: Super Smash Bros Brawl

What do you guys think?

Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

I predict GOTY will be something completely different from whatever hyped names or extremely popular franchises most people usually throw out in the beginning half of the year as the expected GOTY.

Just like in the first half of last year Halo 3, Mass Effect, and GTA IV where the three titles that many claimed would be the gauranteed GOTY........the first two didn't even win in their Genre or Platform (not just at Gamespot), and the last one was delayed.

broodstryder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 broodstryder
Member since 2005 • 43 Posts
Dragon Age
k_ozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 k_ozz
Member since 2007 • 1088 Posts
FURU FURU PARK for sure
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

Dragon Agebroodstryder

That's in my Top 3 most anticipated games, but I can pretty much bet that it won't be arriving in 2008.

musicXpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 musicXpirate
Member since 2005 • 3040 Posts
GOTY = Spore. No competition.
Adversary16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 Adversary16
Member since 2007 • 1705 Posts
Spore? :shock: I keep hearing about Spore, Spore and Spore! Well, I guess I'll just read some previews and get into the hype as well... :P
Adversary16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Adversary16
Ok... Just watched the gameplay video! :shock: It's an amazing game! GotY for sure!
musicXpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 musicXpirate

Ok... Just watched the gameplay video! :shock: It's an amazing game! GotY for sure!Adversary16

LOL. Go from a single celled organism to an almighty being who travels the galaxy... every man's dream.

Adversary16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Adversary16

LOL. Go from a single celled organism to an almighty being who travels the galaxy... every man's dream.

musicXpirate

Yeah m8! Just too bad they removed some features... Plus, it doesn't have a fixed release date so...

Foreward66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Foreward66
Member since 2007 • 144 Posts

for PC its gonna be Far Cry 2

Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts
I don't want to predict...since I know one game will be in there regardless of quality
_rock_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 _rock_
Member since 2007 • 7071 Posts
Probably grand theft auto 4.
BadSushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#14 BadSushi
Member since 2005 • 959 Posts
I still think Spore won't come out until 2009, so I give it all to Metal Gear Solid or Grand Theft Auto... unless some amazing game comes around that everyone is forgeting... like Borderlands!
TFrieden0928

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 TFrieden0928
Member since 2007 • 324 Posts
look you cant have a goty if this games didn;t came out yet, we dont know if they will as good as they say they are. just look at halo 3 for example.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I still think Little Big Planet will come out of nowhere and trounce the competition... other than that, MGS3 and San Andreas came out in 2004, Kojima and Rockstar have had a lot of time to make sure that their new games are perfect.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rragnaar

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]I still think Little Big Planet will come out of nowhere and trounce the competition... other than that, MGS3 and San Andreas came out in 2004, Kojima and Rockstar have had a lot of time to make sure that their new games are perfect.dvader654

My only fear about LBP is that it could be a game that is onlyas good as you make it. I am sure it will have a ton of levels and stuff but will it feel cohesive, or will it just feel like a ton of stand alone levels. How much freedom will we have, I know it will have lots of customization aspects but what are the game design aspects, where are the enemies, can we put life bars, what else can we do besides putting contraptions and such. Basically can we make something as good as a 2D Super Mario level or will it be more puzzle based. So I have questions about the game but I bet it will be excellent.

Fair points for sure... I wish we knew more about the game. I know there are enemies in the game, but they haven't been shown yet. I am fairly sure that at one point they said we'd be able to play either a LBP demo or a beta(can't remember which) by the end of 2007. My biggest issue with Sony so far this gen, as someone who has owned the system from day one, is that they've promised a lot of betas for games like Killzone 2 and Little Big Planet, and they haven't really delivered. The Warhawk beta was a lot of fun. I want more of that.
musicXpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 musicXpirate
LBP looks awesome in all aspects, especailly the level design. But I don't think it'll make GOTY. Doesn't seem epic enough.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rragnaar
LBP looks awesome in all aspects, especailly the level design. But I don't think it'll make GOTY. Doesn't seem epic enough.musicXpirate

This is just my opinion, but it seems like it has the potential to be huge. It reminds me of Line Rider which was a lot of fun, only this will be much more interactive. Maybe I'm dumb, and I'm sure a lot of people here think that :P, but I think that LBP's peer to peer level sharing could be the videogame equivalent of YouTube.
musicXpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 musicXpirate

[QUOTE="musicXpirate"]LBP looks awesome in all aspects, especailly the level design. But I don't think it'll make GOTY. Doesn't seem epic enough.rragnaar

This is just my opinion, but it seems like it has the potential to be huge. It reminds me of Line Rider which was a lot of fun, only this will be much more interactive. Maybe I'm dumb, and I'm sure a lot of people here think that :P, but I think that LBP's peer to peer level sharing could be the videogame equivalent of YouTube.

True but the games doesn't have any major characters or plot does it?

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I think all of you are forgetting about a little game called.... [spoiler] Resident Evil 5! [/spoiler]
DrSalvador4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 DrSalvador4
Member since 2007 • 76 Posts
RE5 has been delayed till 2009
Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts

That looks right. MGS4 GOTY no question. :)

dvader654

Booo!!! Come LBP, GTA, Someone...I need a Hero!!! Someone brave and strong, I need Hero!!! :lol: I'll even hype Killzone 2, I need a Hero!!!

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
Spore thats the only game i see as being goty. Anyway it seems a bit to early at the moment.
valttu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 valttu
Member since 2007 • 1420 Posts
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 hell yeah!! Go Vegas Go!!!!!!! :P
Iga_Bobovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Iga_Bobovic
Member since 2007 • 518 Posts
[QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="dvader654"]

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]I still think Little Big Planet will come out of nowhere and trounce the competition... other than that, MGS3 and San Andreas came out in 2004, Kojima and Rockstar have had a lot of time to make sure that their new games are perfect.dvader654

My only fear about LBP is that it could be a game that is onlyas good as you make it. I am sure it will have a ton of levels and stuff but will it feel cohesive, or will it just feel like a ton of stand alone levels. How much freedom will we have, I know it will have lots of customization aspects but what are the game design aspects, where are the enemies, can we put life bars, what else can we do besides putting contraptions and such. Basically can we make something as good as a 2D Super Mario level or will it be more puzzle based. So I have questions about the game but I bet it will be excellent.

Fair points for sure... I wish we knew more about the game. I know there are enemies in the game, but they haven't been shown yet. I am fairly sure that at one point they said we'd be able to play either a LBP demo or a beta(can't remember which) by the end of 2007. My biggest issue with Sony so far this gen, as someone who has owned the system from day one, is that they've promised a lot of betas for games like Killzone 2 and Little Big Planet, and they haven't really delivered. The Warhawk beta was a lot of fun. I want more of that.

Add Home open beta, still waiting on that. I got into the Warhawk beta like2 weeks before it was over, but I played it enough in that time to get it out of my system.

I think the game will be excellent and disappointing at the same time. Excellent for all the reasons you guys said. The disappointment will set in when we realize that level design is best done by the professionals. In other words we suck and the game is going to show it.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rragnaar

I think the game will be excellent and disappointing at the same time. Excellent for all the reasons you guys said. The disappointment will set in when we realize that level design is best done by the professionals. In other words we suck and the game is going to show it.

Iga_Bobovic

:lol:I hope not! I've convinced myself over the years that I'm smarter and more creative than 99% of humanity, and I don't want that illusion to be shattered be reality.
Iga_Bobovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Iga_Bobovic
[QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="Iga_Bobovic"]

dvader654

:lol:I hope not! I've convinced myself over the years that I'm smarter and more creative than 99% of humanity, and I don't want that illusion to be shattered be reality.

Same here, I like to think I can make the greatest game ever but I need tghe right tools. I hope the game is not so physics based, which is what it seems to be. If I want to make a great platforming level I am going to need to be able to put some moving platforms, platforms that fall after you step on them, standard stuff like that. If I have to worry about physics it would drive me crazy.

I guess the 2 of you will get disappointed. Its better to think that you're good than knowing that you suck as hard as Kirby and Jenna Jameson combined.

In other words: Ignorance is bliss.

P.S. I think most people would make levels so unfair to piss people off. Like this one

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rragnaar

Same here, I like to think I can make the greatest game ever but I need tghe right tools. I hope the game is not so physics based, which is what it seems to be. If I want to make a great platforming level I am going to need to be able to put some moving platforms, platforms that fall after you step on them, standard stuff like that. If I have to worry about physics it would drive me crazy.

dvader654

It will be really interesting to see just how traditional of a platforming level we can make. I know that there were moving platforms in the first video they showed of it, but who knows how easy it will be to make your own.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rragnaar

I guess the 2 of you will get disappointed. Its better to think that you're good than knowing that you suck as hard as Kirby and Jenna Jameson combined.

P.S. I think most people would make levels so unfair to piss people off. Like this one

Iga_Bobovic

Could be that people want to do that, I hope not... I make levels in Bloons all the time, and I always try to make sure they are challenging, but doable. Here are a few of mine:

Lazors

Super Mario Bloons

Ugly Arcs

By the way, that video reminds me of this. Pretty hilarious stuff! I've only seen the video without sound, so I don't know if it is safe for work. Watch at your own peril.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
GTA4 and MGS4 are what I would guess be the two main contenders. But I will probably have a different outlook by the end of the year.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts
Yeah I would go with Metal Gear Solid 4, Grand Theft Auto IV, Ninja Gaiden 2, Spore, Super Smash Bros. Brawl as being my top 5 nominations right now. There is still some very important titles I need to see if they will make it for 2008 with the most important one being if Gears of War 2 will make for a 2008 release. I kind of doubt that it will but you never know I guess.
Iga_Bobovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Iga_Bobovic
[QUOTE="Iga_Bobovic"]

dvader654

Oh of course, its like being an arm chair quarterback, I bet I can coach the Dolphins better than they were this year but I probably cant (ok maybe I can, maybe a three year old can with the Dolphins). My only real experience with designing a game was Zelda clasic, the Zelda making game. I was all excited cause I knew I could make the greatest Zelda game ever. Well when I saw that it took me three hours to make like 5 minutes of good gameplay I said screw this. Plus so much trial and error, it was a nightmare. I have ideas but making them come true is a pain in the ass.

So yeah making games is a lot harder than it looks, but with a new tool comes new optimism! Plus we can work together, that can help.

Okay you do realize that I am from Europe right? Talking about rugby lite (Footbal = a sport where you kick a ball around with your foot) is like talking in Chinese. Never will I understand it.

Back on topic: you're Zelda experience shows what it is about. Good level design requires hard work. It requires some one to persevere to keep working and it requires some one to endure the hardships. Yep, you require a ninja :P.