Gotta catch'em all?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TransformerRobo (488 posts) -

Is it truly possible to catch one of EVERY Pokemon species thus far?

#2 Posted by Legendaryscmt (12532 posts) -

To "catch", as in capture with a form of Pokeball, no. It's impossible.

#3 Posted by Moriarity_ (1349 posts) -

To "catch", as in capture with a form of Pokeball, no. It's impossible.

Legendaryscmt
Yes it is. You just have to buy every single pokemon game, unless you mean capture them all in one game then no that's impossible.
#4 Posted by TransformerRobo (488 posts) -

That's what I mean. I'm trying to see if I can catch one of every Pokemon in Pokemon Diamond.

What's the point of having the tag line "Gotta catch'em all!" if you just can't catch them all?

#5 Posted by hydralisk86 (8537 posts) -

That's what I mean. I'm trying to see if I can catch one of every Pokemon in Pokemon Diamond.

What's the point of having the tag line "Gotta catch'em all!" if you just can't catch them all?

TransformerRobo
I think there are certain pokemon that cannot transferred to Diamond, such as the ones in Black or White. I could be wrong, so do the research.
#6 Posted by lazyathew (3748 posts) -

TransformerRobo

Yeah, they just don't mean literally I guess. It was never possible to catch all the Pokemon in one game. Even when Red and Blue were the only games out. You always had to do some trading.

#7 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7509 posts) -
No, there are some event Pokemon for Black & White that haven't even been given away in Japan yet let alone in Western territories.
#8 Posted by TransformerRobo (488 posts) -

The thing is I'm trying to get all my current Pokemon in Diamond up to level 70 or more, but it's gonna take a long time. Wish I knew of a quick way to level them up that high.

#9 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

technically no

the reson they keep making more GD pokemon!

#10 Posted by Calvin079 (16406 posts) -

TransformerRobo

You have to trade between games in order to do that.

#11 Posted by soulless4now (41374 posts) -

There's no such thing since pokemon can only be received through special events at Toys R Us, which is utter crap to me. If they really wanted us to "catch 'em all" all the pokemon would be included in the game when we first buy it.

#12 Posted by leapMC (317 posts) -

There's no such thing since pokemon can only be received through special events at Toys R Us, which is utter crap to me. If they really wanted us to "catch 'em all" all the pokemon would be included in the game when we first buy it.

soulless4now
I agree with this. But I'm also into the gathering of fans and the possibility to share friend codes. But I'm not a fan of the Toys R Us chain.
#13 Posted by gameguy6700 (12197 posts) -
Back when it was just G/R/B/Y it was pretty easy to catch all of the pokemon. You'd just either buy the same game twice or spend an afternoon trading pokemon with a friend. Of course, back then Mew was effectively impossible to get by legit means (IIRC it was only ever offered in a couple of one-town events and mail-in contests that only had a handful of winners) but you could use a gameshark to get it or glitch the game to spawn a mew for you (which as far as I'm concerned was the legit way to get Mew). Even when G/S/C came out you could still collect all 251 pokemon rather easily. It was only once the games moved off the GBC that it became impossible unless you were hellbent on getting every single damn one in the same game by any means necessary. Also now there are so many event-only pokemon that there's really no way you could ever hope to get all of them legitly.
#14 Posted by TransformerRobo (488 posts) -

So there's nothing wrong with not catching a member of EVERY Pokemon species?

#15 Posted by KnightSkull (1701 posts) -

So there's nothing wrong with not catching a member of EVERY Pokemon species?

TransformerRobo

You don't have to, only if you want to.

The only real upside to doing it is being able to show off a complete PokeDex.

#16 Posted by burek111 (11 posts) -
Simple...Catch all pokemons that you can in DP,and if you are missing few then trade
#17 Posted by lazyathew (3748 posts) -

Simple...Catch all pokemons that you can in DP,and if you are missing few then tradeburek111
You'll be missing a lot more then a few. And if you want to get the event Pokemon as well, it will probably be difficult to find someone willing to trade them.

#18 Posted by burek111 (11 posts) -
Okay so if you are missing a lot then you have two options: Trade or Cheat.
#19 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

TransformerRobo
it truly is a devious twist.
#20 Posted by Just-Breathe (3741 posts) -
I think its possible, but not worth the time imo
#21 Posted by TransformerRobo (488 posts) -

Why wouldn't it be worth the time?

#22 Posted by killerband55 (107961 posts) -

TransformerRobo

you wouldn't technically have all the Pokemon unless you transfer them to the Black or White game (since thats the new Pokemon game with brand new Pokemon in it)

#23 Posted by amphitheater (155 posts) -
I hope you catch them all pokemons. How many pokemons are there?
#24 Posted by KnightSkull (1701 posts) -

I hope you catch them all pokemons. How many pokemons are there?amphitheater

With Black and White there are 649 but you can't "catch'em all" as some haven't been released yet.

Not including Black and White there are 493 and some will be hard to get (unless you find someone willing to trade them) as they are event only Pokemon and the events were some years ago now.