Got a Game Gear, and a new Turbo Grafx at Goodwill

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts
I had a good day at Goodwill. I found a Game Gear (with power adaptor) with some good games; Lion King, Jungle Book, Super Off Road, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic Triple Trouble. I'm impressed how good the games look and play. I know most games for it are crap, but these were goodies. Also, got a new Turbo Grafx 16 (box is still in sealed plastic bag). Perhaps it was leftover stock in a warehouse. I have no idea of the worth. I know used Turbo Grafx systems average between $80-120. They had two of them. Me and some other retro collector nabbed them pretty quick. A guy in the store kept asking if I was going to buy it, and I said "you bet!" Do you think I should try to sell it on Ebay, or hold on to it?
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Damn, nice pickups. The best game-related thing I've found at Goodwill was probably a copy of NFL Blitz for the N64
ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ChiefFreeman
Damn, nice pickups. The best game-related thing I've found at Goodwill was probably a copy of NFL Blitz for the N64JML897
NFL Blitz rocks! I got Banjo Kazooie and Conkers Bad Fur Day there, too. The prices are going up, at least at this particular Goodwill; it specializes in computers, electronics and video games. Still find some fair deals, though.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

That is awesome! I love hearing things like that.

Today is a good day for Goodwill! Just today I happened to get Twilight Princess for $3.99 and the first appearance of Apocalypse (X-Men comic) for $1 with the bag and board included!

So everyone should go to Goodwill today, we're on a roll!

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
Nice! Never thought to check goodwill for gems like that. I love my T-16!
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

I had a good day at Goodwill. I found a Game Gear (with power adaptor) with some good games; Lion King, Jungle Book, Super Off Road, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic Triple Trouble. I'm impressed how good the games look and play. I know most games for it are crap, but these were goodies. Also, got a new Turbo Grafx 16 (box is still in sealed plastic bag). Perhaps it was leftover stock in a warehouse. I have no idea of the worth. I know used Turbo Grafx systems average between $80-120. They had two of them. Me and some other retro collector nabbed them pretty quick. A guy in the store kept asking if I was going to buy it, and I said "you bet!" Do you think I should try to sell it on Ebay, or hold on to it?ChiefFreeman

most gamegear games are actually really good. you can also play all master system games on it with an adaptor

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Nice find. I will say that of all the systems my buddy and I had growing up, the TG-16 got, by far, the least amount of play time. So I would probably try and sell it...unless you are a collector, then keep it. But I imagine a collector would: a. already have one or b. if not, never entertain the notion of selling it
GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GaussRiemann
Member since 2012 • 249 Posts

I had a good day at Goodwill. I found a Game Gear (with power adaptor) with some good games; Lion King, Jungle Book, Super Off Road, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic Triple Trouble. I'm impressed how good the games look and play. I know most games for it are crap, but these were goodies.ChiefFreeman

There are actually quite a lot of good games for the Game Gear. I don't think its relation between good and bad games is worse than the original Game Boy's, but the latter has a much bigger library of games.

Want somme recommendations? ;)

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ChiefFreeman
There's a Castlevania clone called Vampire "something" I'm looking for. It's supposed to be good. Lion King and Jungle Book are pretty tough!
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

If I were you, I'd sell the TG-16 and use the money to buy a used one with a ton of games. I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but a brand new TG16 has to be worth around $300 if not more. You'd pretty much have $200 to spend on some awesome games, and the system has plenty from what I've seen.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I agree with the above poster. Sell the boxed Turbografx-16 and use the money on a used system with games. Bonk 1 and 2, Blazing Lazers, Legendary Axe, Bomberman, Galaga 90, and Alien Crush are great starting points for a TG16 collection and there's a lot more to get into. As for the Game Gear, I suggest you track down Sonic Chaos. That, Triple Trouble aside, is the best Sonic game on Game Gear. Sonic 1 is also good, but Sonic 2 can be frustrating because of the lowered screen resolution. The Master System was the lead platform for Sonic 2 8 bit and it plays a lot better on that system than Game Gear, unfortunately. Also, track down both Shinobi games on Game Gear immediately.
ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ChiefFreeman
[QUOTE="famicommander"]I agree with the above poster. Sell the boxed Turbografx-16 and use the money on a used system with games. Bonk 1 and 2, Blazing Lazers, Legendary Axe, Bomberman, Galaga 90, and Alien Crush are great starting points for a TG16 collection and there's a lot more to get into. As for the Game Gear, I suggest you track down Sonic Chaos. That, Triple Trouble aside, is the best Sonic game on Game Gear. Sonic 1 is also good, but Sonic 2 can be frustrating because of the lowered screen resolution. The Master System was the lead platform for Sonic 2 8 bit and it plays a lot better on that system than Game Gear, unfortunately. Also, track down both Shinobi games on Game Gear immediately.

I'm considering that. I sooo want to play some Turbo Grafx games!
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
[QUOTE="ChiefFreeman"][QUOTE="famicommander"]I agree with the above poster. Sell the boxed Turbografx-16 and use the money on a used system with games. Bonk 1 and 2, Blazing Lazers, Legendary Axe, Bomberman, Galaga 90, and Alien Crush are great starting points for a TG16 collection and there's a lot more to get into. As for the Game Gear, I suggest you track down Sonic Chaos. That, Triple Trouble aside, is the best Sonic game on Game Gear. Sonic 1 is also good, but Sonic 2 can be frustrating because of the lowered screen resolution. The Master System was the lead platform for Sonic 2 8 bit and it plays a lot better on that system than Game Gear, unfortunately. Also, track down both Shinobi games on Game Gear immediately.

I'm considering that. I sooo want to play some Turbo Grafx games!

Bonks Adventure, Bonks Revenge, Splatterhouse, Military Madness, and the pack-in title Keith Courage are my favorites on that system. Legendary Axe is pretty fun too.
GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GaussRiemann
Member since 2012 • 249 Posts

There's a Castlevania clone called Vampire "something" I'm looking for. It's supposed to be good. Lion King and Jungle Book are pretty tough!ChiefFreeman

The game you mean is "Vampire: Master of Darkness", aka "Master of Darkness" or "In the Wake Of Vampire", see

http://www.segaretro.org/Master_of_darkness

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#15 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

How is the screen on the Game Gear? Lots of them are faded to the point of being unusable due to capacitors going bad. Pretty cool sytem but I don't find I play mine yet.

Avatar image for Change_MyShorts
Change_MyShorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Change_MyShorts
Member since 2012 • 77 Posts

I just did a capacitor swap on a couple Game Gears. There are plenty of great games for the system. That puppy was ahead of its time.

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts
You'll be surprise the good things you can find at a Goodwill, Thrift Stores, & Fleemarkets. Just gotta be careful not to spend too much on a game or system that might no longer works.