good story games!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Matty_gamer (387 posts) -

Hey people i m tired of playing these crappy games with bad stories any one plz recommend me some good story games plz...

the best story game ive played so far has to be dreamfall the longest journey!

#2 Posted by duxup (43443 posts) -
Max Payne 1 & 2. If you're cool with storyboards and a film noir theme then you should enjoy the story.
#3 Posted by Matty_gamer (387 posts) -

games have to be a pc or xbox 360 games as i own these two as for now ...

and i m so pissed off at people not liking dream fall the longest journey it is the best story game ever made!!

#4 Posted by ManWithDaPlan (137 posts) -

Baldur's Gate II, or 1. I like two better.

#5 Posted by AquaMantor (7571 posts) -

Dreamfall does have a great story. And who doesn't like it? The game is critically acclaimed.

But for Xbox 360 and PC...that's a toughie. Mass Effect is coming out soon, (November) when that game comes out, go ahead and get it, it looks like it has a great story.

#6 Posted by dchan01 (2768 posts) -

The Longest Journey (PC) has a great story as well. (Dreamfall predecessor)Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit also hooked me because of the great story.

#7 Posted by inoperativeRS (8844 posts) -
Planescape: Torment has the greatest story ever in a game imo. As for coming up games, Bioshock, Mass Effect and Halo 3 should all have more than adequate stories. And there's always The Witcher.
#8 Posted by KorJax (2564 posts) -

System Shock 2, Deus Ex (won #1st i belive on "Top 100 Best Storytelling in a Game" on some game website), ect are exceleent for what your looking for, if you got a PC (they dont need much to run at all).

Freespace 2 also should go up there, excelent story.

#9 Posted by Shifty_Pete (2678 posts) -

The Legacy of Kain games all have good storylines and voice acting, and weave together into a truly epic story. There's a method to follow when playing these games, though:

1. Go to Nosgoth.net and read the plot summary of Blood Omen (PS, PC). The game itself is good, but has quirks that make playing it a chore.

2. Play Soul Reaver (PS, DC, PC)

3. Play Sould Reaver 2 (PS2, PC)

4. Either read the plot summary of Blood Omen 2 (PS2, GC, XBOX, PC) or grit your teeth and play it. Its not terrible, and the voice acting and storyline are top-notch as usual, but the game was originally meant to be a new Chakan game, and had Kain crammed in at the last minute. It's a bit tedious to slog through.

5. Play Defiance (PS2, XBOX, PC)

6. Bask in the glory of such an epic and intruiging story.

#10 Posted by Xandre_Lier (1 posts) -

Dreamfall does have a great story. And who doesn't like it? The game is critically acclaimed.

AquaMantor
Yay for nowegian games:D:D
#11 Posted by rob_dAmAgE (1354 posts) -

for a great super-dark relentless story, one needs to look no further than Kane & Lynch: Dead Men. (one of the MOST underrated games i've ever played). another great story is in the game XIII- brilliant. Bioshock also had a super rich story (but that game is uber-popular, so you've probably played it already). for a quite different way of telling a story i'd check out Ico & Shadow of the Colossus- these are amazingly beautiful stories where absolutely no character even says a word!!! finally, another great futuristic story, one even my gf liked watching me play was Breakdown. Breakdown- not only a great story, but characters that you actually cared about!

hope these pics help. i am a sucker for a great story and great characters- something that i feel is greatly lacking in out current-generation of video games...

#12 Posted by texasgoldrush (9037 posts) -
I recently posted a list of what gamesradar thought that had the best stories of all time....Metal Gear Solid, Grim Fandango, The Longest Jourmey, Portal, Bioshock, Gabriel Knight, Beyond Good and Evil, Fallout 2, Knights of the Old Republic, GTA San Andreas and God of War (do not agree with those last two choices), Silent Hill 2, Planescape Torment, and Final Fantasy VI (not VII).
#13 Posted by Vinolence (128 posts) -
Final Fantasy X, Silent Hill 2, MGS
#14 Posted by DManSteelerFan (1097 posts) -
The Darkness and Bioshock are my top 2 360 "amazing story" games. The Darkness has the better story, easily, out of the 2. The story of The Darkness is incredible! Bioshock is my #1 favorite game ever though. You may have played both of these though.
#15 Posted by RoseFlambe169 (11699 posts) -

Definitely Rogue Galaxy (PS2). That game was absolutely awesome. I also think the Star Ocean series (PSP) has a fair story line. Um... Nope. That's actually all I got. *shrugs*

#16 Posted by Timbydude (1087 posts) -

Definitely Rogue Galaxy (PS2). That game was absolutely awesome. I also think the Star Ocean series (PSP) has a fair story line. Um... Nope. That's actually all I got. *shrugs*

RoseFlambe169
Rogue Galaxy? Really? One of the things it got knocked for was a dull storyline...
#17 Posted by RoseFlambe169 (11699 posts) -

Rogue Galaxy? Really? One of the things it got knocked for was a dull storyline...Timbydude

Serious? D> Well I thought it was great. Everything about that game just had me wanting more. Completing all the things like fusing, those bug competitions, and the quarries was a little troublesome, but all worth it I'd say. I guess it's just me then. :( Oh well.

#18 Posted by spy2828 (678 posts) -

You can try Mass Effect. Although its gunplay is awful it has an awesome story.

If you like bad endings, i recommend you Kane & Lynch: Dead Men.

You can find both in PC or XBox360 .

#19 Posted by Brownie094 (39 posts) -

Any Final Fantasy From 6-10

#20 Posted by FishSquared (773 posts) -
Final Fantasy X, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, and Bioshock come to mind.