Piggiton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Piggiton
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hey there. I've been googling post apocalyptic games and been looking around this site for them too but there's too many answers available so its hard to pinpoint games that are to my personal liking, I apologize if this has been asked plenty of times.

I've just finished The Last of Us and I want more of it but unfortunately a sequel isn't coming out anytime soon. This left me a bit bored so now I'm looking for games that are anywhere like it.

What I'm looking for is a game that could arguably be subpar to The Last of Us' quality. I prefer a game that has extraordinary elements that you wouldn't see much of in real life. Like the Beyond Two Souls with the main character's power/traits and The Walking Dead's zombie infested environment. I like games that have a post apocalyptic genre. I am also willing to sacrifice gameplay as long as the story is great, thats what I like about games. I'm not interested in any futuristic themed games

List of what I'm looking for

Decent graphics :D

GREAT story

Post apocalyptic/fantasy based or so,ething thats related to it

Basically games that could rival The Last of Us ><

(If you don't mind, please provide atleast one brief sentence as to why you find that game interesting)

Thank you in advanced for the answers!

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#2 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

I stopped reading at "Top graphics".

I don't deal with people like this.

Gamerno66666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Gamerno66666
Member since 2013 • 175 Posts

Would've recommended fallout 1 and 2 but it doesn't meet with your criteria. Try spec ops : the line though,

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

@gamerno66666 said:

try spec ops : the line though,

Don't think that counts as a post-apocalyptic game, but I'd still recommend it just because of the story, even though the game is mostly just a generic third-person shooter.

Anyway, to OP, that's a lot of criteria to meet and I think you're being too picky. I'd say Fallout 3 simply because its post-apocalyptic setting is amazing and it has an overall incredible atmosphere. But you may not like the subpar graphics, lack of a deep story (although I don't think it's bad, but the main story isn't the game's main attraction), the fact that it's technically set in the future, or that there isn't any kind of character development since it's not a character-driven game.

I'd name off a few more post-apocalyptic games that come to mind, but I'd probably be wasting my time since none of them fit everything you want.

Piggiton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Piggiton

I apologize if my criteria matches someone who's picky :O I thought that there were lots of games out there and I was just trying to filter the answers by saying what game I'd like so you guys would have an easier time answering but turns out it did the opposite. SoNin I wouldn't mind doing a bit of research on games you were going to name, so fire away :>

(Going to edit my original post)

Necromancing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Necromancing

Fallout 3 & New Vegas . I dont think you will play 1&2. But they are totally best in Post-Apocalyptic games. They have good stories. But also like skyrim (same studios.). All the world is free to explore.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#7 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

@piggiton said:

I apologize if my criteria matches someone who's picky :O I thought that there were lots of games out there and I was just trying to filter the answers by saying what game I'd like so you guys would have an easier time answering but turns out it did the opposite. SoNin I wouldn't mind doing a bit of research on games you were going to name, so fire away :>

(Going to edit my original post)

That's understandable to want to play something as good as The Last of Us after playing it, but that's probably the best story-driven post-apocalyptic game you're going to get in my opinion. It's really tough to beat.

But honestly I don't have too many other post-apocalyptic games in mind. There's Rage, which does pretty well with the setting, but the story is far from remarkable. There's some I haven't played but have heard good things like Metro. I'm waiting for the remake on the PS4 so I can play Metro 2033 before Last Light. Lastly, there's I Am Alive, a PSN title I never ended up buying because I didn't care for the gameplay in the demo, but it focuses around moral choices in a post-apocalyptic environment,

Here is a decent list of post-apocalyptic games if you want to poke around and do some more research yourself. But I'm not so sure about some of those games being labeled as post-apocalyptic, like the inFamous series for example. I love inFamous for both its story and gameplay, so I'd definitely recommend it anyway even if I'm not so sure it fits the category.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#8 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Spec Ops The Line, Walking Dead and Fallout 3/New Vegas are probably the only ones that might fit your description.

Spec Ops has awesome gameplay and a surreal story

Walking Dead has a really hearwarming/breaking story

Fallout has a big world to explore with good stories

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

Check out Fallout 3 and Metro Last light , though none of them is even in the one-mile-neighborhood of Last of Us.

Lhomity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 Lhomity
Member since 2011 • 508 Posts

Check out Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Deus ex 1 with mods.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

For post apocalyptic story driven game, your best bet is Fallout 3/New vegas.

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

I think this is what you are looking for (assuming you haven't already played it). Especially since you mentioned fantasy as well, this is both that and post apocalyptic. Imagine if magic came into the real world today, this is what would happen. The game is called Nier.

Now, the graphics aren't the best, pretty bland, but to me this adds to the overall dark and gritty tone of the setting it takes place in. It's not supposed to be all colorful and cheery. It is a JRPG, but trust me when I say it is not cliché. Voice acting is great, and the story is dark and full of twists. The story is definitely the best part of Nier, with great and likable characters, and well written dialogue, both funny and sad. The story is pretty subtle, and unravels rather slowly until the end. But it is this subtlety that makes it so interesting, as you try to figure out what is really going on and putting the pieces together.

The gameplay is what will turn off most people, as it can get repetitive hacking and slashing the same enemies over and over, but there is a plot reason for this. Also, side quests are pretty shallow, but some do open up extra dialogue, adding to the story. Like I said, it's a story that moves at the pace of the player, so it's almost as if you are creating your own. Important events in the game can also be tackled in different orders.

And I was wrong when I said the story was the best part of the game, that would be the music. But the music just adds to the story with a great sense of atmosphere. Watch some reviews on this game, I hope this is what you are looking for. If you are good at getting invested in character's worlds and goals, this game should be a great time.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

The Fallout 3 & New Vegas.

Best post-apocalyptic open world game I can think of off the top of my head. And it's super fun.