Good Import PS2 Games...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by halo2_4_pc (1561 posts) -
I want to buy a few new games for PS2, but I haven't seen many good recent releases for PS2 in the US lately, so I was wondering about import games. Any really good import games that are a must-buy? Also, I don't know Japanese, so please recommend games that are accessable to people who don't know Japanese.
#2 Posted by z4twenny (4898 posts) -
i've been wondering the same, its a shame because most japanese games are.... you guessed it, in japanese. i've imported fist of the north star, but thats a fighting game and pretty self explainatory, i'd really love some japanese games with english dialogue (even if its not a great translation)
#3 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15442 posts) -
  • Chou-Jikuu Yousai: Macross
  • Berserk: Millennium Falcon Hen Seima Senki no Shou
  • Twinkle Star Sprites: La Petite Princesse
  • Mushihimesama
  • SEGA AGES 2500 vol. 26 Dynamite Deka
  • NiGTHS into Dreams...
  • Hokuto no Ken
  • Initial D Special Stage

There are many other must-have imports, but they require at least a minimal understanding of the Japanese language.
#4 Posted by Treflis (11786 posts) -
You could try Fatal frame.
Those games have made me nervous about taking pictures.
#5 Posted by halo2_4_pc (1561 posts) -
  • Mushihimesama
  • NiGTHS into Dreams...
  • Hokuto no Ken

There are many other must-have imports, but they require at least a minimal understanding of the Japanese language.
Panzer_Zwei
Hmm... I looked into these games a bit... Hokuto no Ken: Fist of the North Star and Chou-Jikuu Yousai: Macross both look like pretty good games... Fist of the North Star because I like fighting games and Macross because it's seems like a Starfox 64 type of game. I'm also thinking about buying Battle Stadium D.O.N. because it combines 3 anime/manga series into one big Super Smash Bros. type fighting game.
#6 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15442 posts) -
[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]
  • Mushihimesama
  • NiGTHS into Dreams...
  • Hokuto no Ken

halo2_4_pc

Hmm... I looked into these games a bit... Hokuto no Ken: Fist of the North Star and Chou-Jikuu Yousai: Macross both look like pretty good games... Fist of the North Star because I like fighting games and Macross because it's seems like a Starfox 64 type of game. I'm also thinking about buying Battle Stadium D.O.N. because it combines 3 anime/manga series into one big Super Smash Bros. type fighting game.

Macross plays a lot better than Star Fox. It's actually the best Macross game ever released. And I own all the good Macross games. The game is also free-roaming, unlike Star Fox which is a rail-shooter.

Depending of your region, Gun Survivor 2: Code Veronica and XII Stag were only released in Japan and Europe.

Some other games like the amazing Super Robot Wars Alpha series, require Japanese knowledge, but there are full translated FAQs. So it just depends of how you like to play games, but if you plan to import, you're gonna have to deal with the Japanese language sooner or later, otherwise you're highly limiting yourself.

There's also Namco X Capcom, that outside of the storyline (which it's fully translated) it's pretty simple to play without knowing any Japanese. Although the game is not really remarkable outside of it's fan-service, but on a positive side, it's on a budget price.

#7 Posted by willxcool (2038 posts) -
front mission 5 is in jap but easy to play
#8 Posted by z4twenny (4898 posts) -

I love the macross series Panzer, i'm definitely going to have to check out the macross game, thanks for the recommendation. and btw TS, i definitely recommend the fist of the north star game, its good times. its gameplay is somewhat guilty gearish but still different and the artwork is excellent (and if you're a fan of the anime like i am then you've been waiting for about 15 years for someone to make a decent hokuto no ken game)

#9 Posted by halo2_4_pc (1561 posts) -

Macross plays a lot better than Star Fox. It's actually the best Macross game ever released. And I own all the good Macross games. The game is also free-roaming, unlike Star Fox which is a rail-shooter.

Depending of your region, Gun Survivor 2: Code Veronica and XII Stag were only released in Japan and Europe.

Some other games like the amazing Super Robot Wars Alpha series, require Japanese knowledge, but there are full translated FAQs. So it just depends of how you like to play games, but if you plan to import, you're gonna have to deal with the Japanese language sooner or later, otherwise you're highly limiting yourself.

There's also Namco X Capcom, that outside of the storyline (which it's fully translated) it's pretty simple to play without knowing any Japanese. Although the game is not really remarkable outside of it's fan-service, but on a positive side, it's on a budget price.

Panzer_Zwei

Wow... lots of great import games available :) Thank you for all the great recommendations. Currently on my import list, I have:

Hokuto no Ken: Fist of the North Star - Don't know much about the Anime, but I like fighting games and I keep hearing about it being a very popular import.

Chou-Jikuu Yousai: Macross - I like fighting in space.

Battle Stadium D.O.N. -Smash Bros. Gamplay + 3 great anime/manga = :)

Namco X Capcom - This sounds AMAZING to me. So many great series (Tekken, Street Fighter, Megaman, Resident Evil, etc.) packed into one big RPG. Plus it has a translation patch available, which is always nice.

If anyone else knows some more great import games, please post!!!!!