Gone but not forgotten: Remember your old favorites here

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NeverMore0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NeverMore0
Member since 2003 • 1278 Posts
Sure, everyone remembers the first Super Mario or Mortal Kombat game. There are classics that never fade from memory, but I'm not interested in those. Let's discuss some of the old games that you loved but no one really talks about anymore. For me, I was just thinking about Pilotwings 64. That was a game where you didn't really have to be accomplishing anything to have fun. You'd cruise around, watch the sun set, and listen to some nice low-key music. Of course if you did feel like competing, there was plenty to do, and earning that perfect score was a real challenge. I can't count the number of hours I spent enjoying that one. What game would you like to remember?
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Spyro the Dragon. Particularly the second and third entries in the series, those games were just so fun, and the hidden collectibles and unlockables were just so clever and satisfying! Spyro was a great character, really wish Sony had him in their stable.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts

The snes version of super pang (super buster bros in the USA). I feel like the only person who remembers that series. I hear talk of Altered beast, r-type, streets of rage etc etc to name just a few arcade ports that people do still talk about. But very little mention of the pang series :S

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
Moonstone, you and some chums don some armor & set off to find some treasure. On the way slay some angry cave/swamp/field dwelling monsters & maybe have a rumble with a dragon. Then back to the castle for some gambling before the day is done. Quality.
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

supcars21.jpg

Supercars 2 on the Amiga.

I didn't have an Amiga, my friend did though. And we spent countless evenings playing the 2-player championship either working together to beat the CPU cars or trying to outfox each other with cleverly-laid mines. I had a habit of slipstreaming the car in front even though there wasn't any slipstream effect, so i succumbed to lots of surprise mines this way. Good times. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw4WqYVOCEc

--

1211718939-00.jpg

Exolon on the Amstrad CPC.

The first game i completed. 99 screens of potential death and 9 lives with no continues. A side-scroller non-platform (you reached higher areas using teleporters) shooter game.Looked pretty decent for the time and required concentration and timing to succeed. Was one of my favourite games on my first computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30cWyXsQvtg

--

198164_88330_thumb.jpg

N-Gen Racing on the PS1.

This appeared on the Playstation 1 after the Playstation 2 had hit the stores so was rather overlooked in the shops. Unfortunate really because it was one of the very best PS1 games made. It was a Jet plane racing game: Ace Combat with checkpoints and competitors. Fantastic.

And it wasn't easy either, if you set it to full realistic controls you really had to practice to win the races and this gave you an enormous sense of adrenaline-fueled achievement.

I traded it in when i upgraded to a PS2 because i was convinced that something so awesome would be recreated on the newer hardware, either as a sequel or remake. I was wrong. To date there has been nothing that compares to this game, lots of track-based racers and futuristic hover-thing games, but no contemporary jet racing games. Of course i had to buy it again last month to play on my PS2 and it's just as amazing as i remember.

And in some ways i'm glad it wasn't remade or updated as the risk of ruining it was too high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbP0D972NGk

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

220px-Redneckrampage.jpg

Probably one of my favorite and most hilarious FPS games I played on my computer when I was growing up. Still a classic to this day.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#8 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Jagged Alliance 2 - I used to spend hours just on a demo I had of the game, only after a good ammount of years is when I played the full version, but damn is it an awesome game, never see anybody talk about it though. Gearhead Garage - I dunno, I was young and loved the hell out of the game :P Airline Tycoon - My first "tycoon" game and to this day still my favourite, good humour, fun gameplay.
Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
Supercars 2 on the Amiga. I didn't have an Amiga, my friend did though. And we spent countless evenings playing the 2-player championship ________________________________________________________________ And the original theory test, good times indeed!
bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

Star Wars Episode 1 Racer: Played through Tournament mode many times and have had a blast playing around with cheat codes and what not. Great game.

Wario Land 3: Definitely one of my favorite platformers ever, it was so unique compared to everything else and very diverse with all of the power ups.

NeverMore0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NeverMore0
Member since 2003 • 1278 Posts
Oh man I remember Redneck Rampage, that was great. Deadlock's another one. PC turn-based strategy. It was fun and it had character. And who could forget this classic jingle? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j19mg4ci69A
tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
galerians for playstation. seriously i have not met another person who's actually played this game. its probably the best resident evil clone on ps1. really messed up story, and it maintains a creepy enviorment throughout. the controls and interface are inefficient, but they get the job done. i picked it up like a year after it came out for around 10 bucks and dug the hell out of it. its basically resident evil with psychic powers instead of weapons, and like human guineapigs as enemies.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

Jade Cocoon was a great game. Shame the franchise is basically dead :(

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#14 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Podracer 64. That was a fun as hell racing game.

Also how about the Thief series? Fantastic.

TheLoneMortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 TheLoneMortal
Member since 2011 • 135 Posts

turtlethetaffer
Hell yes! Pod Racer was a great game. Been interested in trying out the Thief games.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Army Men Sarges Heroes is an old favorite that I don't hear about anymore. In fact people useally tell me they didn't like the Army Men games back then :(

And Fighters Destiny on the Nintendo 64 was a very fun fighting game that I haven't played In Years. As well as Killer Instict.

There are others that I haven't played in a long time, and would love to play again some day. I can't remember all the titles though, lol.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#17 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

TheLoneMortal

Hell yes! Pod Racer was a great game. Been interested in trying out the Thief games.

Really glad I'm not the only one with fond memories of Podracer :P

also if you love stealth, the Thief series is a must play. I don't think any other series has really encompassed the meaning of "stealth" like it has. (ie once the guards know you're there they are never back to their normal patrolling status.)

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Gone but not forgotten eh? Well then I salute the Timesplitters series...

I hope they do eventually make that elusive fourth game, but it might never happen.

Until then though, Timesplitter's (pop your beer top) this ones for you.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Grandia (PS1) I bet no one remembers that one, great game.
jonsono2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 jonsono2
Member since 2008 • 206 Posts
1)The first 3 Spyro games for PS1 2) Crash team racing 3) Medievil 4) Star Wars Dark forces on PC /mysteries of the Sith 5) The first Syphon Filter on PS1 Too, too good.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Sure, everyone remembers the first Super Mario or Mortal Kombat game. There are classics that never fade from memory, but I'm not interested in those. Let's discuss some of the old games that you loved but no one really talks about anymore. For me, I was just thinking about Pilotwings 64. That was a game where you didn't really have to be accomplishing anything to have fun. You'd cruise around, watch the sun set, and listen to some nice low-key music. Of course if you did feel like competing, there was plenty to do, and earning that perfect score was a real challenge. I can't count the number of hours I spent enjoying that one. What game would you like to remember?NeverMore0

We DEFINITELY need more games like that... Stunt flying games, where there's little to no combat and just piloting skills, make me giddy as a schoolgirl.

:D

If you like "Pilot Wings", you need games like "Sky Odyssey" for PS2, my favorite console flying title of all time... "AeroElite Combat Academy" which teaches aerial combat and formation/stunt flying (even has an airshow side game!!!), and of course, "AeroWings" for the Dreamcast...

Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

Doom on the PS1- Wasnt my first taste of Doom (that would be the snes Doom), but I love this game.

Mortal Kombat 2 on the Snes- I was so excited to play that game.

Tekken 2 on the PS1- Such great memories. I remember seeing the import version before it hit the states and wanted that game so bad. So I went out and got my Playstation modded so I could get it early. Same for Tekken 3.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Apee Escape

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points