Goddamit, Ebay!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

how many times have you found an awesome deal on the internet, then you contact the seller, you establish a price and right at the last minute he decides to check out the games' prices on ebay?

This happened to me last month when trying to buy deep fear for the Saturn, the guy was selling it for 5 euro, then he saw the game is worth roughly 100 pounds and he upped the price to just that.

And now the same thing happened. This guy was selling old PC games from his parents' old software company, he's been placing them for sale gradually, the first batch had some pretty decent/good game for 2 euro each, some of them worth 20 pounds on ebay, I bought the ones that interested me.

the next week he brought the second batch and tried to sell them for 10-15 each as he saw that some of those games are worth something on ebay but he still priced them under eay

this week: third batch, he's pricing them exactly like ebay, including a rare PC game that is worth 150 pounds (rmore then 200 dollars). I could have had that game for 2 euro if it weren't for ebay!

Sorry, I guess this thread was more of a rant then anything else

#2 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

it happeend to me last week actually.

I was looking at a bid for Maniac Mansion , which was advertised as the PC version, and it was at 99p

1 day before the end, the seller realises its actually the Amiga version , and then changes the bid to a "buy it now" at £20.

needless to say I was not going to get it.

#3 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

it happeend to me last week actually.

I was looking at a bid for Maniac Mansion , which was advertised as the PC version, and it was at 99p

1 day before the end, the seller realises its actually the Amiga version , and then changes the bid to a "buy it now" at £20.

needless to say I was not going to get it.

Darkman2007
I really wanted Deep Fear and that PC game and i would have them for a steal
#4 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

sometimes it works in your favour though , thats how I can occasionally get really good deals.

like that whole batch of PC adventure games I got recently for a very reasonable price.

#5 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

This happens to me often, and what bothers me the most about it is when people refer to the 'asking' price and not the price people are actually paying.

#6 Posted by Heirren (17319 posts) -
I don't shop on eBay anymore, but I'm trying to to get a payment form to do so. What bothers me are the "new/sealed" claims. There's a new N64 claimed to be sealed. The seller even took a photo of the seal. However, you can see the cardboard wear underneath the seal--and the seller is no longer taking questions, as someone question him about taking photos of the unit.
#7 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -
I don't shop on eBay anymore, but I'm trying to to get a payment form to do so. What bothers me are the "new/sealed" claims. There's a new N64 claimed to be sealed. The seller even took a photo of the seal. However, you can see the cardboard wear underneath the seal--and the seller is no longer taking questions, as someone question him about taking photos of the unit.Heirren
that's the thing, I wasn't shopping on ebay I was shopping on some random website and THEN the seller decided to check ebay
#8 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

Ebay is both a video game collectors best friend and worst nightmare. On one hand you are able to actually tell if you're getting a good deal on a game via the completed listings, but then again, online businesses, game shops, thrift stores and flea market resellers, see a bunch of current listings of people selling the game for three times the highest completed listing price, and decide that's what it's actually worth. It is infuriating to have to deal with these people who think that they know what a game is worth, but are just overcharging. I've gotten lucky on Ebay several times, and in places that price their stuff according to Ebay prices, but this rarely happens. I mostly stick to getting my gaming deals at a few untapped resources I know of, certain thrift stores that still sell there stuff at THIFT STORE PRICES, garage sales, and the flea market occassionally.

#9 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (977 posts) -

Are you reluctant to name "The PC game"? I'm curious what could demand such a high value.

I'm just intrigued as if i were selling a game i'd far rather sell it for 20% of its value to someone who's going to play it over someone looking to make a fast buck.

#10 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

Are you reluctant to name "The PC game"? I'm curious what could demand such a high value.

I'm just intrigued as if i were selling a game i'd far rather sell it for 20% of its value to someone who's going to play it over someone looking to make a fast buck.

BarbaricAvatar

Anvil of Dawn

#11 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

[QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

rilpas

Anvil of Dawn

that cover alone is worth alot :P
#12 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -
[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

Darkman2007

Anvil of Dawn

that cover alone is worth alot :P

I'm hoping I can negotiate with the guy
#13 Posted by yummifullz (149 posts) -

The best experiences I've ever had with acquiring legacy platform games and hardware has been on a trading site, game trading zone , highly recommend checking it out there is a great community with highly reputed traders.

#14 Posted by Bubble_Man (3095 posts) -

In the past, there were great deals on games to be found at flea markets, pawn shops and thrift stores. Now when I go to the previously mentioned places, all the game prices reflect those on ebay and sometimes even exceed them. I'll luck out and find a gem every now and then, but I'm actually better off justing buying off ebay when all the gasoline and time is taken into account. I once went to a yard sale and Pokemon Sapphire for sale. Even at a yard sale, the person wanted $15. I'm reaching a point where I don't even bother "hunting" anymore.

#15 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

In the past, there were great deals on games to be found at flea markets, pawn shops and thrift stores. Now when I go to the previously mentioned places, all the game prices reflect those on ebay and sometimes even exceed them. I'll luck out and find a gem every now and then, but I'm actually better off justing buying off ebay when all the gasoline and time is taken into account. I once went to a yard sale and Pokemon Sapphire for sale. Even at a yard sale, the person wanted $15. I'm reaching a point where I don't even bother "hunting" anymore.

Bubble_Man

I hear you, but at least in my experience, I'm still able o find tons of great deals while hunting. You just need to find places that sell rero games at a flat rate and you're golden. I frequently shop at a store that is owned by GoHastings that sell all previous gen games regardless of title for $5, and less than that when they have their sales. I've picked some very valuable games at this place, and I also know of a record store that takes in video games and sells them for dirt cheap as well.

I do agree with you though that it has become harder and harder to find a good deal at flea markets, thrift stores, garage sales and the like. When I go to these places, there is usually a 50% chance that if I find something I want it'll be marked up to at least its current Ebay price, if not way more.

#16 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

Yep... That's why I'm patient, and if I don't find something in the wild, with no hassles like that, I just go without. Online sellers are too close to computers anymore... Ya gotta go out in the country and shop at Ma & Pa Kettle's, where they don't go in f'them "Intra-Nets" - NOsir.

:lol:

#17 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (977 posts) -

[QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

rilpas

Anvil of Dawn

Ah. I don't have that one. Looks good though! Good luck :)

#18 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

BarbaricAvatar

Anvil of Dawn

Ah. I don't have that one. Looks good though! Good luck :)

yep, been haggling with the guy.

After mentioning Ebay fees, Paypal fees and that international shipping costs are higher he decided to bring down the price to 35 euro (45 dollars), so in the end some quick haggling saved the day :P

Though I could have gotten the game for less then half of that >.>

#19 Posted by Nismology (648 posts) -
I once found an unboxed SNES in a used electrical store priced at £100. I asked the shopkeeper what possessed them to price it so high, and they replied 'thats what they go for on ebay'. One year later and I scooped up a better condition SNES in cash converters for the princely sum of £15. It would have been worth that much if it were mint in box, but unboxed with a 3rd party pad and a couple of sucky sports games... no thanks.
#20 Posted by Orlando_Magic (37447 posts) -

The one time ebay worked to my advantage was when a flea market vendor told me to make him an offer on two NES games. I told him $5 for both and he told me I was ripping him off and they were worth waaaaay more than that and he could get more selling on ebay. I told him I was getting a good deal but the games weren't worth a ton. So then we went to his laptop and I looked up both games on ebay in front of him and showed him how one sells for $6-7 (Bionic Commando) and the other around $5 (Blaster Master). But then told him on ebay he'd be losing $2-3 on each game from shipping and he'd have to pay close to 15% in ebay seller fees. We ended up settling on $6 for the two games.

One pawn shop I goto sells all their games at ebay prices and even has an ebay store online. I saw a boxed Contra Hard Corps for $16 (which is already a decent price) and started talking to the owner a little bit (he seemed to know about games somewhat) and then he told me how most of their older Genesis games were around $5. So I asked him if he'd do $5 on Hard Corps. I was expecting a no but he told me he'd do $6 to my surprise. So a store may be selling at ebay prices but may also be willing to negotiate.

#21 Posted by Orlando_Magic (37447 posts) -

Bubble_Man

It's a great feeling walking into a game store/pawn shop/flea market that obviously checked prices on ebay, then scouring through 100's of games and finding 1 rare game mismarked for cheap. Happens few and far between though :(

#22 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23604 posts) -
so, you're blaming ebay for letting people know they aren't selling a product at a loss? okay then
#23 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

so, you're blaming ebay for letting people know they aren't selling a product at a loss? okay thenJigglyWiggly_
considering he got his stuff for free I don't really see the 'loss' here

moreover, considering ebay has been the main reason why retro games have been increasing price, I fail to see the loss even more

#24 Posted by Talldude80 (6321 posts) -

I once found an unboxed SNES in a used electrical store priced at £100. I asked the shopkeeper what possessed them to price it so high, and they replied 'thats what they go for on ebay'. One year later and I scooped up a better condition SNES in cash converters for the princely sum of £15. It would have been worth that much if it were mint in box, but unboxed with a 3rd party pad and a couple of sucky sports games... no thanks.Nismology

LOL, who would pay £100 for a SNES? That guy was just not interested in selling the item. I would have laughed so hard at that price! I see SNES consoles selling for $45 here in Arizona at this store called "Bookmans". They alwasy have fair prices, but sometimes they price items to sell. I bought several atari lynx games at $1 each and never more than $8. Most ps1, ps2, nes, and n64 games are under $10 too. they did have Sonic3 for $15 the other day, and that bothered me. Probably holiday pricing, and in a few months it'll be back down..... www.shopgoodwill.com is a good auction site that i've used, but as with all online shopping, the cost of shipping can really be a drag. I prefer Yard sales and local shops over online auctions, but once in a while Amazon is a good deal too.

p.s. and at current conversion rates $45 USD is = to 28.22 GBP

#25 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]so, you're blaming ebay for letting people know they aren't selling a product at a loss? okay thenrilpas

moreover, considering ebay has been the main reason why retro games have been increasing price, I fail to see the loss even more

This is what really pisses me off about a lot of thrift stores today, especially Goodwill; they get this stuff donated to them and yet they feel it's okay to go around and resell a game or console for the same price as someone who paid money for it and is either selling or reselling it for. They've become so greedy it's not even funny, and they still like to hide behind the whole "we help others help themselves" BS; how is it helping anyone but the store to sell an original XBOX console for $100? It's not, it's just pure greed. I miss the days when you could go into virtually any thrift store and buy any game regardless of rarity, system, or completeness for no more than $5. . .so sad it has come to this.

#26 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nismology"]I once found an unboxed SNES in a used electrical store priced at £100. I asked the shopkeeper what possessed them to price it so high, and they replied 'thats what they go for on ebay'. One year later and I scooped up a better condition SNES in cash converters for the princely sum of £15. It would have been worth that much if it were mint in box, but unboxed with a 3rd party pad and a couple of sucky sports games... no thanks.Talldude80

LOL, who would pay £100 for a SNES? That guy was just not interested in selling the item. I would have laughed so hard at that price! I see SNES consoles selling for $45 here in Arizona at this store called "Bookmans". They alwasy have fair prices, but sometimes they price items to sell. I bought several atari lynx games at $1 each and never more than $8. Most ps1, ps2, nes, and n64 games are under $10 too. they did have Sonic3 for $15 the other day, and that bothered me. Probably holiday pricing, and in a few months it'll be back down..... www.shopgoodwill.com is a good auction site that i've used, but as with all online shopping, the cost of shipping can really be a drag. I prefer Yard sales and local shops over online auctions, but once in a while Amazon is a good deal too.

p.s. and at current conversion rates $45 USD is = to 28.22 GBP

I have to completely disagree with shopgoodwill.com being a good place to get deals, with probably one exception, I have never seen a video game end on shopgoodwill below the highest Ebay completed listing price for that same item. For example, I was closely watching an SNES lot several months ago on Shopgoodwill, mostly because it had Sunset Riders and Chrono Cross in it, but the other five or six titles in the lot were worth no more than $10 a piece. Guess what it sold for? $290!!! I was like WTF is wrong with these people, do they enjoy getting ripped off? And this is how most of the listing on that site end, way above what they go for on Ebay. I'm not criticizing you, I just have never seen anything close to a good deal on shopgoodwill.com

#27 Posted by Heirren (17319 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]so, you're blaming ebay for letting people know they aren't selling a product at a loss? okay thenShenmue_Jehuty

This is what really pisses me off about a lot of thrift stores today, especially Goodwill; they get this stuff donated to them and yet they feel it's okay to go around and resell a game or console for the same price as someone who paid money for it and is either selling or reselling it for. They've become so greedy it's not even funny, and they still like to hide behind the whole "we help others help themselves" BS; how is it helping anyone but the store to sell an original XBOX console for $100? It's not, it's just pure greed. I miss the days when you could go into virtually any thrift store and buy any game regardless of rarity, system, or completeness for no more than $5. . .so sad it has come to this.

Yeah, Goodwill is supposed to be for less fortunate people.
#28 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"] considering he got his stuff for free I don't really see the 'loss' here

Heirren

Yeah, Goodwill is supposed to be for less fortunate people.

And I'm sure it originally was, but I think Goodwill caught on to middle class and upper class people going there to find good deals and decided they'd capitalize on this and start overcharging, especially on items deemed "collectable." We're lucky they we're gamers and not vintage toy collectors or comic book enthusiests; I've been told that almost without exception Goodwill has overcharged for thise for almost a decade now.