Girl gamers and female videogame developers. What do you think of them?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for slamminjammin69
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 slamminjammin69
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts

Just bought the new issue of EGM magazine the other day and read the article dealing with girl power yada yada in the gaming industry such as how the Frag Dolls are viewed, and then some lady whos working with Naughty Dog.

Articles and the reviews about that stuff in the magazine they were decent to read but as usual the women they just complain a bout how its a toys for boys world mentality.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
I really don't care. These sorts of "issues" are only important because people think they're important. True, it's mostly a male dominated hobby (a fvcking sausage fest by any other name). So I say the more chicks that want to join, the better!
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#3 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Not bothered

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#4 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

And why shouldn't they call attention to that? The gaming industry is still pretty male dominated, so of course its a "toys for boys" world at the moment. Good to see more women changing that though.

I would like to see more female developers. But not just women, I would like to see people of all backgrounds, genders, colors, coming in to the gaming industry. With a variety of people, we get a variety of games.

And variety is good.

slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 slamminjammin69

yeah but most of the time the female vidoegame developers and the stupid Frag Dolls they end up being arrogant.

They want to be treated equally or whatever and they say they're making videogames for girls like Bayonetta or whatever. But then I see stupid crap in stores like NintenDogs and horse riding videogames for the Nintendo DSs.

The Frag Dolls I think they're a freakin joke

C_Glass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 C_Glass
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts

I think they should make a sandwich while they're making me a videogame. Or they should make a videogame of me playing them making me a sandwich while I wait for them to get back home from work so they could make me a sandwich.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lucky_Krystal

yeah but most of the time the female vidoegame developers and the stupid Frag Dolls they end up being arrogant.

They want to be treated equally or whatever and they say they're making videogames for girls like Bayonetta or whatever. But then I see stupid crap in stores like NintenDogs and horse riding videogames for the Nintendo DSs.

slamminjammin69

Proof?

The few female developers/writers/producers I've seen in interviews like Jade Raymond, Amy Hennig, Kim Swift, and Jane McGonigal don't seem arrogant. In fact they don't even really draw attention to the fact that they're women in a male dominated field, they just wanna talk about their games. Its always the interviewer that brings up all kinds of questions about their sex.

Also, not all female designers are making girly games. The 4 women I just mentioned are a perfect example.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Bring it on. Female developers would be able to add some additions within a game and a different point of view then Men would, which would make diversity and diversity and innovation within the gaming industry is good. As for Female Gamers, I frankly don't care If you are a girl/woman. To me you're a gamer like me when we play a game together.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

I really don't think anything about it at all. Gamers are gamers. Noobs are noobs, bad devs are bad devs, all regardless of gender.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I don't. Just like I don't think about girl tv watchers or girl magazine readers. I think that the "gaming journalists*TM" are mostly garbage writers though.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I'm sure I care every bit as much about them as they do about me.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Well it's more of a male thing and a lack of females is pretty normal. It's like how fashion, cooking, ballroom dancing, horse riding, etc. are female dominated.

enjoy07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 enjoy07
Member since 2009 • 120 Posts

I think I may be one of the few women who don't care about this topic. It never bothered me. I never ran into issues where I was treated differently or not taken seriously. I know a lot of females like me as well and I never thought differently of them either.

As far as gamers go, the way I see things is, they are either on your team, or your enemy.

slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 slamminjammin69

Well the November/December issue of EGM magazine that's still in stores right now it has a decent interview with Naughty Dog's Amy Hennig. Shes been around since the old Playstation game of the first Blood Omen game. Theres at least one paragraph or two where she gets a bit whiny about how females are treated in the videogame industry.

It's pages 14 and 15 that really tick me off. the article is called Beyond the Valey of the Frag Dolls. That's the article that ticks me off royally where it ends up being all whiny and in my opinion it still makes the Frag Dolls arrogant and stuff. the last paragraph tells of them encountering a young little girl who comes up to them crying because they're her so called heroes because they're female gamers or whatever. I'm like really little girl?

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

Well it's more of a male thing and a lack of females is pretty normal. It's like how fashion, cooking, ballroom dancing, horse riding, etc. are female dominated.

cyborg100000
Wrong. There are a lot of male fashion designers, many of them are a tad egocentric, but there are a lot of them. Many chefs are male and the job of a chef usually tends to be seen as a male only thing, it is very hard for a female chef to be accepted in that line of work. There are a lot of men who do ballet, ball room dancing and various other forms of dance that are considered 'feminine' in a narrow minded socially enforced gender role obsessed society. And there are many men who ride horses, many race in the horse races and many others are professional horse riders of considerable skill.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

I don't think about them. You can't both complain about gender inequality and support elevating one of them in the same sentence.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44093 Posts
Good for them. The more the merrier I say.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

jade raymond....

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lucky_Krystal

Well the November/December issue of EGM magazine that's still in stores right now it has a decent interview with Naughty Dog's Amy Hennig. Shes been around since the old Playstation game of the first Blood Omen game. Theres at least one paragraph or two where she gets a bit whiny about how females are treated in the videogame industry.

It's pages 14 and 15 that really tick me off. the article is called Beyond the Valey of the Frag Dolls. That's the article that ticks me off royally where it ends up being all whiny and in my opinion it still makes the Frag Dolls arrogant and stuff. the last paragraph tells of them encountering a young little girl who comes up to them crying because they're her so called heroes because they're female gamers or whatever. I'm like really little girl?

slamminjammin69

You said it yourself, she's been around since the old Playstation 1 days (1994-2001). Back then, some video game companies and events didn't even have women's bathrooms and lets not forget this is way before people began calling out companies for using things like Booth Babes in order to appeal to a demographic that they assumed was all male. Its understandable if she of all people were to get a little "whiny" as you put it.

No comment on the second paragraph. That's actually pretty hilarious. :lol:

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I don't see how women playing video games will hurt the industry or me, so I see no reason to complain. The more people gaming the better in my eyes. As for the developers, I think the industry has a very strong group of women. From Amy Hennig to Jade Raymond and plenty of others, I do not see how having females in the industry is a bad thing.

slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 slamminjammin69

Its a funny thing about the Frag Dolls. You never hear much about them except when E3 comes around and you see them pose for pictures. You never see the Frag Dolls do anything else except pose for pictures look all hot and pretty

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

... But then I see stupid crap in stores like NintenDogs ...

slamminjammin69
Nintendogs was strangely compelling, actually...
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 El_Zo1212o

...Jade Raymond...

contracts420
Wasn't she that ridiculous black lady at the Ubisoft conference at E3 this year? If so, I don't know anything about the quality of her work, but for the love of God, keep her out from in front of the cameras.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I dislike it when a female gamer tries to draw attention to herself because she's female. Other than that, don't care.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lucky_Krystal

[QUOTE="contracts420"]

...Jade Raymond...

El_Zo1212o

Wasn't she that ridiculous black lady at the Ubisoft conference at E3 this year? If so, I don't know anything about the quality of her work, but for the love of God, keep her out from in front of the cameras.

No, she is Jade Raymond:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Raymond

Who the heck are you talking about? :|

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

I really don't think anything about it at all. Gamers are gamers. Noobs are noobs, bad devs are bad devs, all regardless of gender.

PetJel
My thoughts are the same.
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Too many girl gamers are attention whores and it pisses me off so much.

These kinds of girl gamers:

fewa

Status update!: "I'm playing Call of Duty, lol, I'm such a nerd!"

Get that casual sh*t out of my face. B*tch! I'm on my 4th playthrough of Tales of the Abyss.

They don't know anything other than the most mainstream titles. (Games like Call of Duty, Halo, Assassin's Creed, Mario, Zelda and maybe Elder Scrolls.) But they probably don't know it as Elder Scrolls, just Skyrim. ("Morrowind? What's that?")

I know a few genuine girl gamers who don't flaunt the "nerdiness" of gaming just for attention.

But I've met too many of them who play the girl gamer card for attention.

"Guy gamers need to stop judging us girl gamers." We're not fvcking judging you, UNLESS you're an attention whore. Enjoy the game like the rest of us, and don't act like you're entitled to special treatment because of your gender.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="contracts420"]

...Jade Raymond...

Lucky_Krystal

No, she is Jade Raymond:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Raymond

Who the heck are you talking about? :|

Apparently, the ridiculous black lady I mentioned was Lana Kane from Archer. What the hell was she even doing there? And why didn't I recognize her voice?
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

We need MORE of them!

We also need more female protagonist.

GeoffZak,you're in my heart man.

Respect!

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#31 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

If they're good, they're good. If they're bad, they're bad. They get held to no higher/lower standard when it comes to anything. Are they second class citizens because of their gender? Are they any less a fan of the hobby as the next guy? If they enjoy the games, whether it be playing or making them, good on them. Have at 'em.

-

I sympathize with females in any industry because I know what men are like, being one myself. I have always had a different perspective than most men on women. I see what they are talking about more than I agree with what men are talking about. Men can be pigs, plain and simple. They(women) put up with a lot of sh!t. When they make a comment about it, men blow it up like every women everywhere is 'whiny' and attention seeking because they did something so foolish as to answer to a loaded question.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

If girls want to create games for themselves, that's their business.

If they want to attach themselves to our experience and water it down with feminine stuff, I'm not interested in buying that.

There's enough "developers" putting out games with endless cutscenes, endless talking "blah blah blah."

Mass Effect 3 is hardly "toys for boys," Commander Shepherd never seems to shut the f*ck up, it's like Halo meets Oprah.

Same with alot of PS3 exclusives, it's like watching General Hospital.

slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 slamminjammin69

As of right now I can't stand the Nintendo DS commercials on tv.

Really you gonna have some moron female actress to do a commerical for that Art game fer the DS? I'm not a gamer but I love art. Teehee.

Then you have these nobody actresses from tv shows or whatever where they go do a commericla for World of Warcraft or some other game just so they can "fit in"

mav_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mav_destroyer
Member since 2005 • 3073 Posts

slamminjammin69
This comment made me face palm and my jaw drop at the same time. In what world would Bayonetta qualify as a game for girls?! Bayonetta's body is supposed to looks like a super model and her special moves have her strip almost naked, why would you think that would be aimed at girl gamers? Nintendogs and Horseback riding games that you mentioned are aimed at kids (yes, kids are also a demographic for video games) though that doesn't mean adults can't enjoy them as well. If you don't like those games, simply don't get them, not every game is meant for everyone. I don't mind female game developers/gamers, actually I hope to see more of them get into the industry/hobby. And not just girls like Lucky_Krystal said, people from all backgrounds. Gaming is fun with more people.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I like having diversity in my hobby of choice and encourage females to participate freely. The only time I have a problem with them is when they over-compensate and try to act all super hardcorzerz. Of course I fault males for doing the same thing too.

I also don't like the ones that are so demanding of attention in online games.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lucky_Krystal

Really you gonna have some moron female actress to do a commerical for that Art game fer the DS? I'm not a gamer but I love art. Teehee.

Then you have these nobody actresses from tv shows or whatever where they go do a commericla for World of Warcraft or some other game just so they can "fit in"

slamminjammin69

Ah now I see.

Seems like you're bitter for whatever reason towards some of the women in gaming because you think they're ruining your gaming or something like that. Thats nice. :roll:

Like someone said before me, these Nintendogs and other cute DS games are aimed at children, not people like you or me. Also, a simple google search will show you that both Nintendogs and Bayonetta were the products of a man's mind (Shigeru Miyamoto and Hideki Konno, Hideki Kamiya). So no, the women in gaming are not always the one churning out the cute light hearted games like you ASSumed.

And about that celebrities comment, companies using celebrities to advertise their product and tell you its sooo cool is nothing new, in the gaming industry or any other industry in existence. And of course, why would these celebrities refuse, I'm sure they were paid a pretty penny to do these commercials. The point isn't if they play games or not, because its just a commercial. They are giving a script and paid to say that the game is good. This goes for men and women, so the fact that you targeted only "moron female actresses" is laughable, and suggests that you have some vendetta with women or maybe just women that associate with gaming in general.

Also, in that "I'm not a gamer commercial" that was Gabby Douglas, a gold medal olympic gymnast who was given a script to read and a product to advertise by Nintendo themselves, not some moron actress.

But please, keep talking out of your ass. I'm having a good laugh over here.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#37 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

More power to them. Why shouldn't they enjoy video games along with guys?

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

[QUOTE="slamminjammin69"]

Lucky_Krystal

Ah now I see.

Seems like you're bitter for whatever reason towards some of the women in gaming because you think they're ruining your gaming or something like that. Thats nice. :roll:

Like someone said before me, these Nintendogs and other cute DS games are aimed at children, not people like you or me. Also, a simple google search will show you that both Nintendogs and Bayonetta were the products of a man's mind (Shigeru Miyamoto and Hideki Konno, Hideki Kamiya). So no, the women in gaming are not always the one churning out the cute light hearted games like you ASSumed.

And about that celebrities comment, companies using celebrities to advertise their product and tell you its sooo cool is nothing new, in the gaming industry or any other industry in existence. And of course, why would these celebrities refuse, I'm sure they were paid a pretty penny to do these commercials. The point isn't if they play games or not, because its just a commercial. They are giving a script and paid to say that the game is good. This goes for men and women, so the fact that you targeted only "moron female actresses" is laughable, and suggests that you have some vendetta with women or maybe just women that associate with gaming in general.

Also, in that "I'm not a gamer commercial" that was Gabby Douglas, a gold medal olympic gymnast who was given a script to read and a product to advertise by Nintendo themselves, not some moron actress.

But please, keep talking out of your ass. I'm having a good laugh over here.

I agree, he does seem bitter, however the reason still eludes me. Why does he single out women but not children, the way I see it children would be even more of a problem for the industry using his logic. Which is why I definitely detect a hint of resentment on his part, but no idea why.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="slamminjammin69"]

Lucky_Krystal

Proof?

The few female developers/writers/producers I've seen in interviews like Jade Raymond, Amy Hennig, Kim Swift, and Jane McGonigal don't seem arrogant. In fact they don't even really draw attention to the fact that they're women in a male dominated field, they just wanna talk about their games. Its always the interviewer that brings up all kinds of questions about their sex.

Also, not all female designers are making girly games. The 4 women I just mentioned are a perfect example.

Great, you named 4 women who didn't fit his complaint, in a world containing 7 billion people. Want a cookie? While it's great that women want to play video games, no-one is stopping them. There's no oppression, and so we dont need people such as the "Frag Dolls", or several other groups who crave the media spotlight. It would be another thing if people were fighting against women being able to play videogames, and having these groups fighting for equality.. However when no-one really cares if a guy or a girl is playing video-games, groups who try to earn the spotlight by saying "Girls should be allowed to play video games too!" seem like pointless attention whores.
mav_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mav_destroyer
Member since 2005 • 3073 Posts
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Great, you named 4 women who didn't fit his complaint, in a world containing 7 billion people. Want a cookie? While it's great that women want to play video games, no-one is stopping them. There's no oppression, and so we dont need people such as the "Frag Dolls", or several other groups who crave the media spotlight. It would be another thing if people were fighting against women being able to play videogames, and having these groups fighting for equality.. However when no-one really cares if a guy or a girl is playing video-games, groups who try to earn the spotlight by saying "Girls should be allowed to play video games too!" seem like pointless attention whores.

I've never seen anyone or any group say "Girls should be allowed to play video games too!", and oppression in video games is unheard of. Rather what they are saying and trying to do is encourage more girls to take interest in video games because they are a minority. The point of groups like Frag Dolls is to draw in more females into gaming, so not drawing attention to themselves would really void the point of their existence. If they're actions bother you so much just ignore them, they're not there for you anyway. I don't understand why Frag Dolls are such a sensitive issue to many people.
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 slamminjammin69

Well EXCUSE ME!. I never said I am against girl gamers.

I am just reminding you guys and any girls here of what I read in the recent magazine issue of EGM aka Electronic Gaming Monthly.

It's the Frag Dolls group that I really can't stand. They're freakin tools. They only show up like during the E3 gaming convention and they pose for pics. They do act all arrogant and then you hear about younger girls that go up to them crying and stuff because of the Frag Dolls being girl gamers trying to get accepted or whatever in their own little world.

Its those girl gamers like the Frag Dolls who are screwing it up. They need to go away. They're really not gaming. They're just modeling for pics technically which disgusts me and probably any other gamer.

Bayonetta was made for girls by the way and now everyone's having hissy fits over the rapey stuff in the new Tomb Raider not just by girl gamers but male gamers too.

Another thing at the last page or so of the new recent issue of EGM Magazine another female EGM writer is pretty much whining about how she was treated in the past.

Why don't these female writers for videogame magazines just shut the hell up and write a review for a game and not bring up stupid crap about them being picked ond because they're a female game journalist or game developer or something. If these women who work in the freakin videogame industry cant deal with being harassed or some BS they keep bringing up then maybe they should just leave and work in some other business. Also if they want to play a game online with male gamers that's fine but everytime I hear about female gamers online they're the ones that are all arrogant and shove it in your face if you lose against them.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#42 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I don't think about it one bit. Females that want to be involved in the video game industry, in any capcity, are more than welcome.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#43 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
don't really have anything against it. I think it's cool, but so few chicks play games
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lucky_Krystal

Great, you named 4 women who didn't fit his complaint, in a world containing 7 billion people. Want a cookie? While it's great that women want to play video games, no-one is stopping them. There's no oppression, and so we dont need people such as the "Frag Dolls", or several other groups who crave the media spotlight. It would be another thing if people were fighting against women being able to play videogames, and having these groups fighting for equality.. However when no-one really cares if a guy or a girl is playing video-games, groups who try to earn the spotlight by saying "Girls should be allowed to play video games too!" seem like pointless attention whores.Nibroc420

I never said that anyone was trying to stop women from playing video games , nor did I say the Frag Dolls were necessary. I didn't even know who they were until yesterday. In that post I was actually speaking about women in the industry, where the women to men ration is much more disproportinate to the ratio of women to men gamers. The women in the industry seem more like they're trying to simply get more women in by calling attention to the fact that there are so few women. But magazines and reporters always bug them about their sex, hoping that they're gonna confess "OH YEAH, THEY SAID I WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH AND THEY SMACKED ME ON THE BUTT!" or something. For example, Jade Raymond was frequently asked "what's it like being an attractive woman in the gaming industry?" (more or less) and I was like, "What the heck? Let her talk about Assasin's Creed."

And yes I agree with your sentiment that we don't need the attention whores.

Well EXCUSE ME!. I never said I am against girl gamers.I am just reminding you guys and any girls here of what I read in the recent magazine issue of EGM aka Electronic Gaming Monthly.It's the Frag Dolls group that I really can't stand. They're freakin tools. They only show up like during the E3 gaming convention and they pose for pics. They do act all arrogant and then you hear about younger girls that go up to them crying and stuff because of the Frag Dolls being girl gamers trying to get accepted or whatever in their own little world.Its those girl gamers like the Frag Dolls who are screwing it up. They need to go away. They're really not gaming. They're just modeling for pics technically which disgusts me and probably any other gamer.Bayonetta was made for girls by the way and now everyone's having hissy fits over the rapey stuff in the new Tomb Raider not just by girl gamers but male gamers too.Another thing at the last page or so of the new recent issue of EGM Magazine another female EGM writer is pretty much whining about how she was treated in the past.

Why don't these female writers for videogame magazines just shut the hell up and write a review for a game and not bring up stupid crap about them being picked ond because they're a female game journalist or game developer or something. If these women who work in the freakin videogame industry cant deal with being harassed or some BS they keep bringing up then maybe they should just leave and work in some other business. Also if they want to play a game online with male gamers that's fine but everytime I hear about female gamers online they're the ones that are all arrogant and shove it in your face if you lose against them.slamminjammin69

I don't think the Frag Dolls are screwing anything up. I don't pay attention to them, but it seems all they want to do is promote women in gaming. When I searched them up I didn't find any articles or videos that said they did anything offensive or destructive so whats the big deal? If they can make some little girl (by little I mean 8-13) be less insecure about their love of video games in a world where the media tells them they should like barbie and ponies and not so much manly video games, then let them. I wouldn't see the Dolls that way if I was that age but hey, to each its own. Just ignore them, it was not Ubisoft's intent to "ruin" anything with them, so I don't see the big deal.

And I agree that some journalists and developers can sometimes whine about nothing. Some women will put out the "gender card" for no reason and claim that they are oppressed when they haven't experienced anything drastically or remotley sexist. But you ever stop to think that some of this "whining" may be a much needed calling out to the unnacceptable behavior of the internet? I've seen female game journalists post pieces that don't boil over well with the fanbase. And with the usual batch of "F**K you" "Go die" "kill yourself" "you stupid ___(insert racial epithet here)" that is thrown at you regardless of gender, is a whole slew of "get back in the kitchen" "stupid B*tch" "dumb Whore" and "I hope you get raped."

You can't just shrug stuff like that off, especially considering that much of video game journalism takes place online. They're going to be slammed with people flaming them when they're trying to work. And most are "just trying to write a reveiw" but when one women calls out these people for their overdone sandwich jokes, here goes someone like you going "OMG STOP WHINING, ITS NO BIG DEAL"

Yeah its no big deal for people to swarm your website and call you a whore and say "I hope you get raped" :roll:

I don't think ALL the complaining of women's situation in gaming is necessary. Girls craving attention online by going "OMG IM A GAMER I HAVE BOOBS YOU BETTER RESPECT ME EVEN THOUGH I SUCK HURRRR" just to get attention are indeed annoying. And the word sexist and misogynistic is so abused, that apparently a girl with a huge rack is supposedly "sexist" and shouldn't exist (facepalm).

But there is still a looming problem that can't just be brushed off as no big deal. And also, developers and journalists leaving because of criticism or backlash is extremely counterproductive.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]Great, you named 4 women who didn't fit his complaint, in a world containing 7 billion people. Want a cookie? While it's great that women want to play video games, no-one is stopping them. There's no oppression, and so we dont need people such as the "Frag Dolls", or several other groups who crave the media spotlight. It would be another thing if people were fighting against women being able to play videogames, and having these groups fighting for equality.. However when no-one really cares if a guy or a girl is playing video-games, groups who try to earn the spotlight by saying "Girls should be allowed to play video games too!" seem like pointless attention whores.Lucky_Krystal

I never said that anyone was trying to stop women from playing video games , nor did I say the Frag Dolls were necessary. I didn't even know who they were until yesterday. In that post I was actually speaking about women in the industry, where the women to men ration is much more disproportinate to the ratio of women to men gamers. The women in the industry seem more like they're trying to simply get more women in by calling attention to the fact that there are so few women. But magazines and reporters always bug them about their sex, hoping that they're gonna confess "OH YEAH, THEY SAID I WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH AND THEY SMACKED ME ON THE BUTT!" or something. For example, Jade Raymond was frequently asked "what's it like being an attractive woman in the gaming industry?" (more or less) and I was like, "What the heck? Let her talk about Assasin's Creed."

And yes I agree with your sentiment that we don't need the attention whores.

Well EXCUSE ME!. I never said I am against girl gamers.I am just reminding you guys and any girls here of what I read in the recent magazine issue of EGM aka Electronic Gaming Monthly.It's the Frag Dolls group that I really can't stand. They're freakin tools. They only show up like during the E3 gaming convention and they pose for pics. They do act all arrogant and then you hear about younger girls that go up to them crying and stuff because of the Frag Dolls being girl gamers trying to get accepted or whatever in their own little world.Its those girl gamers like the Frag Dolls who are screwing it up. They need to go away. They're really not gaming. They're just modeling for pics technically which disgusts me and probably any other gamer.Bayonetta was made for girls by the way and now everyone's having hissy fits over the rapey stuff in the new Tomb Raider not just by girl gamers but male gamers too.Another thing at the last page or so of the new recent issue of EGM Magazine another female EGM writer is pretty much whining about how she was treated in the past.

Why don't these female writers for videogame magazines just shut the hell up and write a review for a game and not bring up stupid crap about them being picked ond because they're a female game journalist or game developer or something. If these women who work in the freakin videogame industry cant deal with being harassed or some BS they keep bringing up then maybe they should just leave and work in some other business. Also if they want to play a game online with male gamers that's fine but everytime I hear about female gamers online they're the ones that are all arrogant and shove it in your face if you lose against them.slamminjammin69

I don't think the Frag Dolls are screwing anything up. I don't pay attention to them, but it seems all they want to do is promote women in gaming. When I searched them up I didn't find any articles or videos that said they did anything offensive or destructive so whats the big deal? If they can make some little girl (by little I mean 8-13) be less insecure about their love of video games in a world where the media tells them they should like barbie and ponies and not so much manly video games, then let them. I wouldn't see the Dolls that way if I was that age but hey, to each its own. Just ignore them, it was not Ubisoft's intent to "ruin" anything with them, so I don't see the big deal.

And I agree that some journalists and developers can sometimes whine about nothing. Some women will put out the "gender card" for no reason and claim that they are oppressed when they haven't experienced anything drastically or remotley sexist. But you ever stop to think that some of this "whining" may be a much needed calling out to the unnacceptable behavior of the internet? I've seen female game journalists post pieces that don't boil over well with the fanbase. And with the usual batch of "F**K you" "Go die" "kill yourself" "you stupid ___(insert racial epithet here)" that is thrown at you regardless of gender, is a whole slew of "get back in the kitchen" "stupid B*tch" "dumb Whore" and "I hope you get raped."

You can't just shrug stuff like that off, especially considering that much of video game journalism takes place online. They're going to be slammed with people flaming them when they're trying to work. And most are "just trying to write a reveiw" but when one women calls out these people for their overdone sandwich jokes, here goes someone like you going "OMG STOP WHINING, ITS NO BIG DEAL"

Yeah its no big deal for people to swarm your website and call you a whore and say "I hope you get raped" :roll:

I don't think ALL the complaining of women's situation in gaming is necessary. Girls craving attention online by going "OMG IM A GAMER I HAVE BOOBS YOU BETTER RESPECT ME EVEN THOUGH I SUCK HURRRR" just to get attention are indeed annoying. And the word sexist and misogynistic is so abused, that apparently a girl with a huge rack is supposedly "sexist" and shouldn't exist (facepalm).

But there is still a looming problem that can't just be brushed off as no big deal. And also, developers and journalists leaving because of criticism or backlash is extremely counterproductive.

1.)Mature, respectable human beings do not let the mindless nonsensical insults of random strangers get to them. If you take everything that might be directed towards you personally, you're going to have a tough life, and you should avoid careers with high levels of criticism (journalism being one of those). 2.) No-one is preventing women/girls from playing video games. However they're creating groups with the sole purpose of making gaming "cool", and "the thing to do", which only supports unhealthy behavior. 3.) I'm tired of groups saying "We need more (insert gender/race/nationality here) in our field". If girls want to game, nothing is preventing them. It's like how the Minnesota Timber-wolves have been called out for having too many white players, and too few black players on their team. When less than 1/3 of NBA players in the league are white. People create BS problems, and try to act all high and mighty when they're "solving" or "addressing" the problems which they created in their own heads.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lucky_Krystal

1.)Mature, respectable human beings do not let the mindless nonsensical insults of random strangers get to them. If you take everything that might be directed towards you personally, you're going to have a tough life, and you should avoid careers with high levels of criticism (journalism being one of those). 2.) No-one is preventing women/girls from playing video games. However they're creating groups with the sole purpose of making gaming "cool", and "the thing to do", which only supports unhealthy behavior. 3.) I'm tired of groups saying "We need more (insert gender/race/nationality here) in our field". If girls want to game, nothing is preventing them. It's like how the Minnesota Timber-wolves have been called out for having too many white players, and too few black players on their team. When less than 1/3 of NBA players in the league are white. People create BS problems, and try to act all high and mighty when they're "solving" or "addressing" the problems which they created in their own heads.Nibroc420

1.) He's not getting to me nor am I taking what he's saying personally. I simply disagree with what he's saying and I am arguing against it.

2.) What kind of unhealthy behavior would groups like the Frag Dolls encourage? They seem pretty harmless and easy to ignore to me.

3.) The field I keep speaking of is the gaming industry, the people who make the games. You seem to think I'm saying we need more girl gamers. I wasn't saying that. I also did not say that anyone was preventing women from gaming. I don't see anything wrong with people pointing out that there are mostly men making the games and suggesting that more women go into the field. Different types of people of both genders and even all colors means more variety. And variety is always good. No one says these men should GTFO, just that more women could join their ranks. Again, if we get more variety and a wider range of people are pleased and represented in video games, what is so wrong with this?

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

I have 2 friends who are female gamers. They both game a lot on PC and geniunly try to learn the games and dont do it for "attention". Play games such as Dota 2, Supreme Commander, APB, and Left 4 dead and more.

I think the real annoying ones are the fake female gamers who don't really give a **** about games and do it to get attention. Then they fake their excitement for a game because their boyfriend is going to get it. Like COD girls and etc.

enjoy07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 enjoy07
Member since 2009 • 120 Posts

don't really have anything against it. I think it's cool, but so few chicks play gamesThe_Last_Ride

Ah, but there are quite a bit of us out there. :)

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts
don't really have anything against it. I think it's cool, but so few chicks play gamesThe_Last_Ride
There are more of us than male gamers and male developers and publishers, as well as market analysts in the video game industry, like to admit. They want things to only be for males, they don't want to wake up to the reality that female gamers exist and that the industry needs more females in it to hopefully help the industry progress beyond the rut it's gotten stuck in due to only catering to males while remaining in the past.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Why would I have an opinion about females who play videogames? They do something I do. I can have a conversation about video games, something we both like. Nothing much else to say.