GD Lounge- The Next Generation Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#501 Posted by BranKetra (48242 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Finally finished Far Cry 3, i really liked that game to be honest

I have reservations about that game because of Far Cry 2. I got FC2 a few weeks ago and it is boring compared to other open world games I have played. I have not played it for weeks. If there are many improvements in Far Cry 3, I would get it.

I think it's one of the best games this generation. You should try it. It's a prime example of an open world. Good story, great open world, great gameplay and great rpg elements

It is only twenty dollars now, so I might get it. Before that, I will probably get the Metal Gear Legacy.

## Well, I picked up a Nintendo 3DS XL. I'm very happy with the purchase. It's no VITA, but I think I'll be happy with it.

As for games, this is what I picked up.

Zelda: OoT

Super Mario 3D Land

Tales Of The Abyss

Pokémon X

NEW Super Mario Bros 1 (I wanted to get 2, but they were out of stock)

Oh and the nice thing about all of this? Because I work for Target, I have a 15% discount, the 5% coming from a Target credit or debit card and the 10% coming from my team member discount. So I think today was awesome. :)

I work there, too. The discount is a nice incentive for shopping.

#502 Posted by MethodManFTW (25603 posts) -

@BranKetra: FarCry 3 is entirely different compared to FarCry 2.

#503 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

## Well, I picked up a Nintendo 3DS XL. I'm very happy with the purchase. It's no VITA, but I think I'll be happy with it.

Super Mario 3D Land

Tales Of The Abyss

Pokémon X

Oh and the nice thing about all of this? Because I work for Target, I have a 15% discount, the 5% coming from a Target credit or debit card and the 10% coming from my team member discount. So I think today was awesome. :)

that's a nice list, i need to get X and 3D Land myself

#504 Edited by BranKetra (48242 posts) -

@MethodManFTW said:

If it is anything like Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, I will get it.

#505 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

@MethodManFTW said:

Blood Dragon is based on Far Cry 3, so everything when it comes to gameplay is there. The only difference is the progression system, rpg elements and the story

#506 Posted by BranKetra (48242 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@MethodManFTW said:

Blood Dragon is based on Far Cry 3, so everything when it comes to gameplay is there. The only difference is the progression system, rpg elements and the story

Alright

#507 Posted by Metamania (11973 posts) -

@Metamania said:

Super Mario 3D Land

Tales Of The Abyss

Pokémon X

I'll do my best to get around X and 3D Land, but one of my good friends tells me it should have been the game made back in 1996 instead of Super Mario 64. We will see.

#508 Posted by BranKetra (48242 posts) -

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands is not great, but not bad either. I like the platforming because it is similar to the sixth generation PoP games. That game has its faults, but I got my money's worth at $4.99.

#509 Posted by Yagr_Zero (27831 posts) -

I can't stop watching Hot Pepper Gaming. :P

#510 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

Super Mario 3D Land

Tales Of The Abyss

Pokémon X

I'll do my best to get around X and 3D Land, but one of my good friends tells me it should have been the game made back in 1996 instead of Super Mario 64. We will see.

Really? Mario 64 was revolutionary saying 3D land would be possible then is silly

#511 Edited by BranKetra (48242 posts) -
#512 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

probably a youtube channel

#513 Edited by Randolph (10478 posts) -

I don't think I'm going to bother even flagging these spam posts anymore. We have such gaps in moderation of this forum that they sometimes end up staying up for hours anyway, and I damn near ended up giving myself ten karma this morning flagging them, which would have cut off my ability to post until someone finally came around to sort them out, and sometimes that just never gets done, like the spam post that is STILL left up as the very first reply to the floated game deals thread.

#514 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

@Randolph said:

I don't think I'm going to bother even flagging these spam posts anymore. We have such gaps in moderation of this forum that they sometimes end up staying up for hours anyway, and I damn near ended up giving myself ten karma this morning flagging them, which would have cut off my ability to post until someone finally came around to sort them out, and sometimes that just never gets done, like the spam post that is STILL left up as the very first reply to the floated game deals thread.

i usually flag them when i see them

#516 Edited by Yagr_Zero (27831 posts) -

@Yagr_Zero: What is that?

A youtube channel where people try to say reviews while eating spicy peppers.

#517 Posted by BranKetra (48242 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@Yagr_Zero: What is that?

A youtube channel where people try to say reviews while eating spicy peppers.

I thought "Hot Pepper Gaming" was just meant to be a catchy, hot-blooded name for something, but since they actually eat that, it is entirely different.

#518 Posted by Jacanuk (4235 posts) -

@Randolph said:

Ya, after Ragnaar left and the severe upgrade in spambots, it looks like gamespot has decided to throw in the towel, one mod C_Rake clearly isn't enough.

#519 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Randolph said:

Ya, after Ragnaar left and the severe upgrade in spambots, it looks like gamespot has decided to throw in the towel, one mod C_Rake clearly isn't enough.

Where is everyone else? I mean Horgen and 2ndWonder both got the mod status

#520 Edited by Randolph (10478 posts) -

It honestly seems like half or better of the mods vanished after the transition. Like I said before, we do have Yagr and chicken feet in here, but pretty much exclusively in this thread. Only one mod actually bothers to even try to be a part of the discussion in this forum, and so is effectively doing it all by himself. Again going back to a previous reply, GS has too many mods who are from too small a handful of forums. Every forum needs at least two active mods (three or four in the bigger ones) who not only moderate material that is outside of the TOS of the site, but who are actively participating in and leading discussion. That is important.

At work, as a member of management all of the employees respect me more and respond to me better than the others because they see me being an active participant. I work, I lead by example. The other managers hang out in the office and occasionally come out to get onto somebody for doing something not quite right (usually more harshly than is called for), then vanish back into the office to eat and check their facebook status on their phones.

Too many moderators on the crew now are like those other managers I just described, Rake would be like me in that comparison, people respond to him, he doesn't have to be as harsh or threatening when he has to call someone out because he is a recognized and respected member of the community, one of us. I honestly feel like moderators who do not participate in and lead discussions need to step down, it's not a job, they do not HAVE to have that position to support themselves or anything.

Honestly, the participation in and leading of discussion is the more important part of the role they play, in my view.

#521 Posted by MethodManFTW (25603 posts) -

Man, I laugh at everything you post in here. :P

#522 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

@Randolph said:

It honestly seems like half or better of the mods vanished after the transition. Like I said before, we do have Yagr and chicken feet in here, but pretty much exclusively in this thread. Only one mod actually bothers to even try to be a part of the discussion in this forum, and so is effectively doing it all by himself. Again going back to a previous reply, GS has too many mods who are from too small a handful of forums. Every forum needs at least two active mods (three or four in the bigger ones) who not only moderate material that is outside of the TOS of the site, but who are actively participating in and leading discussion. That is important.

At work, as a member of management all of the employees respect me more and respond to me better than the others because they see me being an active participant. I work, I lead by example. The other managers hang out in the office and occasionally come out to get onto somebody for doing something not quite right (usually more harshly than is called for), then vanish back into the office to eat and check their facebook status on their phones.

Too many moderators on the crew now are like those other managers I just described, Rake would be like me in that comparison, people respond to him, he doesn't have to be as harsh or threatening when he has to call someone out because he is a recognized and respected member of the community, one of us. I honestly feel like moderators who do not participate in and lead discussions need to step down, it's not a job, they do not HAVE to have that position to support themselves or anything.

Honestly, the participation in and leading of discussion is the more important part of the role they play, in my view.

True, i havn't seen any other mods on the boards keeping the discussions in line other than here to be honest

#523 Edited by BranKetra (48242 posts) -
@Randolph said:

I agree. Being apart from what you supervise can lead to inappropriate responses.

I do not mean to cherry pick your post. I just needed to make it easier to understand what part I am responding to. As for the rest, I do feel as strongly as you do right now about moderators needing to resign if they inadequately engage with the forums they regulate.

#524 Posted by Randolph (10478 posts) -

@Randolph said:

I agree. Being apart from what you supervise can lead to inappropriate responses.

Hell yes it can. I was a volunteer mod before here for two years, and I never really knew back then why I got such a huge backlash when I popped into System Wars to try to straighten things up and lay down the law. Now I know it was a really simple case of me being an outsider who didn't understand the culture. Which is why it's good they have musicalmac in there. You have to love the wars to mod the wars.

#525 Posted by Randolph (10478 posts) -

I do not mean to cherry pick your post. I just needed to make it easier to understand what part I am responding to. As for the rest, I do feel as strongly as you do right now about moderators needing to resign if they inadequately engage with the forums they regulate.

Hah, no I do not mind. I zero in on certain sections of posts all the time, combination of habit and hating long quote trees. (those make OT and SW an unreadable mess to me)

#526 Posted by Jacanuk (4235 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Randolph said:

Hmm, never seen those 2 at all,

#527 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Randolph said:

They are two of the highest posters on the site and used to be in the SCU union. I think there was another one aswell that got the mod status aswell in that union

#528 Posted by Jacanuk (4235 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Randolph said:

They are two of the highest posters on the site and used to be in the SCU union. I think there was another one aswell that got the mod status aswell in that union

SCU union? but ok havent seen them be active as moderators though, and if anything this forum could sure use them, i dont think i have seen so many bots and spam messages before.

#529 Posted by Metamania (11973 posts) -

Well, I'm afraid I have some bad news. It looks like my 360 may be going out of commission soon.

I had a seven-hour gaming session of Batman: Arkham Origins last night and I think that's why it's about to be killed, because now I keep on hearing these whirring noises and my copy of the game has frozen up several times. Has NOTHING to do with the disc at all, since the disc is in excellent condition, but I think it's either the disc drive or something inside the 360 that's causing all these whirring problems to happen. And I'm not sure what to do about it, because the launch of the Playstation 4 is around the corner very soon and I need to be ready for that. And I don't want to sell my 360 and all the games I have for it because I've put so much time and effort into the library and it's still a fun system to play.

Maybe the gods are telling me to get rid of the 360 and start over with an Xbox One or something, IDK. I just don't want to waste a lot of money on a new Xbox 360 console though...what to do, what to do...

#530 Edited by Randolph (10478 posts) -

Sorry to hear that Mete. It's why I stopped buying digital current gen games. When the servers for current gen get pulled, and our machines inevitably crap out on us, all those games are just plain gone.

#531 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Randolph said:

SCU union? but ok havent seen them be active as moderators though, and if anything this forum could sure use them, i dont think i have seen so many bots and spam messages before.

Not sure if Mitu got it, but he is the highest poster on the site atm. You will see he has about 100k posts in SW. But i think they have been awol since the change. I know @mitu123 is on another forum atm

#532 Posted by Metamania (11973 posts) -

@Randolph said:

Sorry to hear that Mete. It's why I stopped buying digital current gen games. When the servers for current gen get pulled, and our machines inevitably crap out on us, all those games are just plain gone.

Yeah, a lot of people tell me that they've stopped buying consoles and the games on the system and instead chose to use Steam, which isn't a bad idea in hindsight, I'm just not sure if my computer could deal with it on a better rate than a console would. Plus, I'm so used to console by now at this point. In any case, I slept on it and I'm still unsure what to do.

#533 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

Well, I'm afraid I have some bad news. It looks like my 360 may be going out of commission soon.

I had a seven-hour gaming session of Batman: Arkham Origins last night and I think that's why it's about to be killed, because now I keep on hearing these whirring noises and my copy of the game has frozen up several times. Has NOTHING to do with the disc at all, since the disc is in excellent condition, but I think it's either the disc drive or something inside the 360 that's causing all these whirring problems to happen. And I'm not sure what to do about it, because the launch of the Playstation 4 is around the corner very soon and I need to be ready for that. And I don't want to sell my 360 and all the games I have for it because I've put so much time and effort into the library and it's still a fun system to play.

Maybe the gods are telling me to get rid of the 360 and start over with an Xbox One or something, IDK. I just don't want to waste a lot of money on a new Xbox 360 console though...what to do, what to do...

Should we hold a eulogy for your 360 :3?

It sucks, it might be better to buy X1 at this point

#534 Posted by Metamania (11973 posts) -

@Metamania said:

It's something that I've considered, except that I think pre-orders for it have already been sold out, so it may be too late to secure that.

#535 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

It's something that I've considered, except that I think pre-orders for it have already been sold out, so it may be too late to secure that.

Man that sucks dude, it's as bad as me a few years ago. My 360 died a few days before christmas and they weren't getting in new ones for at least a few weeks and the only ones they had were with Kinect, so i bought it. I have never put Kinect in my 360

#536 Posted by Metamania (11973 posts) -

@Metamania said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

Man that sucks dude, it's as bad as me a few years ago. My 360 died a few days before christmas and they weren't getting in new ones for at least a few weeks and the only ones they had were with Kinect, so i bought it. I have never put Kinect in my 360

Yep. I think I may just have to retire the damn thing and just wait for the PS4 to arrive and that's only IF I'm lucky enough to get it shipped. In fact, my PS4 controller got shipped from Gamestop YESTERDAY, so it looks like I can't turn back now, I guess.

#537 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

Yep. I think I may just have to retire the damn thing and just wait for the PS4 to arrive and that's only IF I'm lucky enough to get it shipped. In fact, my PS4 controller got shipped from Gamestop YESTERDAY, so it looks like I can't turn back now, I guess.

I am already in the playstation eco system already. I bought a ps3 last year, even though i had a 360 through this entire generation. I was so dissapointed with X1 and i liked the experience i am getting with ps3 and ps+ and the discounts online. So i just paid the entire thing down the day after E3, even though it does cost around 650 bucks here, it is still worth it to me. And i usually wait a year until i get the new console. That was the case with SNES, N64, PS2, and i waited 3 years before i got a 360

#538 Edited by Randolph (10478 posts) -

You just missed out, I was able to get a reserve just last week because every store was authorized two more reserves, but it was kept on the down low, with managers being told to offer it to anyone they considered a loyal customer. Already have the system itself paid in full, going to reserve the KI TE Arcade stick Thursday, and one of the retail games with my fifty dollar coupon. (just not sure which one yet)

#539 Posted by Metamania (11973 posts) -

Awesome man! I'm happy for you Randolph. :)

On a much, much lighter note, Gamestop (online one that is) shipped my PS4 controller yesterday and it came in my mailbox today. No pictures, no proof, right? Below is the picture itself. A bit grainy, I know, but I took the picture on my IPhone and uploaded it just now. Guess I can't turn back now!

#540 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

Way to go Meta!

#541 Posted by Metamania (11973 posts) -

I just got home from work, a short while ago as of this writing, and received yet another email from Gamestop saying that my copy of Killzone Shadow Fall is on its way. In the words of Keanu Reeves's Neo..."Whoa"

#542 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

I just got home from work, a short while ago as of this writing, and received yet another email from Gamestop saying that my copy of Killzone Shadow Fall is on its way. In the words of Keanu Reeves's Neo..."Whoa"

Play it! oh wait :3. What's the point in releasing this pre launch?

#543 Posted by chicknfeet (15625 posts) -

Just finished playing Skyrim (finally) and have moved on to Arkham City. So far, the first 15 minutes have been fun albiet the exact same as the previous Batman game.

And to be fair, i don't get on GS as much as i used to. I'm not too sure about Yagr's situation, but if you see that you aren't able to flag spam posts, there is always the option of PM'ing us as a work around.

#544 Posted by Metamania (11973 posts) -

@Metamania said:

Play it! oh wait :3. What's the point in releasing this pre launch?

I don't know, but thinking about it now, I believe this is the first console launch I've been a part of where I got some of the games and accessories ahead of time before I even get the console box itself. I think that's pretty cool. Normally, I would have just gotten the games, accessories, and the console at the same time, on day of launch or even before (if I'm lucky with the pre-order).

That being said, I do find it mystifying that they would send me the stuff early instead of two weeks later.

#545 Posted by Dracula68 (33102 posts) -

Hey folks,

This forum and change overall is gonna take a long time to get use to especially the profile. So who is still around from over a year ago and who left?

#546 Posted by Randolph (10478 posts) -

Hey folks,

This forum and change overall is gonna take a long time to get use to especially the profile. So who is still around from over a year ago and who left?

Over a year ago? Hah, n00bs. :P

The only person of any real significance to leave this forum so far is Grammaton_Cleric. Other than that, it's been a bunch of low post count lurkers beating their chests and swearing they will leave if GS doesn't bring back the old site, and everyone collectively looking at these people, shrugging, and not really caring either way.

#547 Posted by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -

Hey folks,

Drac! Long time no see.

Rag's not around much anymore. Tried to hand in his badge a couple weeks back.

#548 Posted by Dracula68 (33102 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@Dracula68 said:

Hey folks,

Over a year ago? Hah, n00bs. :P

The only person of any real significance to leave this forum so far is Grammaton_Cleric. Other than that, it's been a bunch of low post count lurkers beating their chests and swearing they will leave if GS doesn't bring back the old site, and everyone collectively looking at these people, shrugging, and not really caring either way.

No, I've been around since 2002 but took off about a year ago more or less.

#549 Edited by Dracula68 (33102 posts) -
@Dracula68 said:

Hey folks,

Drac! Long time no see.

Rag's not around much anymore. Tried to hand in his badge a couple weeks back.

Tried to? lol What happened? Too much brewing beer to play on GameSpot?

#550 Posted by Metamania (11973 posts) -

Hey Drac, good to see you again! I miss talking to you when we played games like Majin awhile ago. Fun times!

How have you been man? :)