GameStop inadequacy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by BranKetra (48109 posts) -

I went to GameStop last week and decided to finally purchase a copy of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for the PlayStation 3. When I went to the cash register to buy the game, I let the sales associates I was talking with know that I would not buy a new game if it were unwrapped. They accepted and followed by explaining the wrapped new copies of that game were out of stock and they could order one online for me and have it shipped to my house with no additional charge. I accepted that offer. Today, I received that game and it was an unsealed copy. I am displeased with GameStop. I bought something specific and I was mailed something different instead. Now, I would be unable to receive a money-refund because GameStop's policy on unsealed new games is game replacement only. I will not be using that purchasing method again with GameStop until they acknowledge and address the inadequacy of selling a new game unsealed.

#1 Edited by jukev2424 (244 posts) -

I would file a complaint. That is unacceptable if they do not own up to their mistake. You should at least get a refund and many companies would give you a refund and let you keep the product

#2 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

You could probably talk with the store's manager and get some satisfaction. Sorry you had a bad experience.

I'm lucky to have a decent GameStop near me with a really well trained staff and a good store manager who I've cultivated a pretty good relationship with. I always promise to do their survey thing if they don't bug me about stuff they know I don't want. It works out pretty well for all involved.

#3 Edited by BranKetra (48109 posts) -

I would file a complaint. That is unacceptable if they do not own up to their mistake. You should at least get a refund and many companies would give you a refund and let you keep the product

I did not know I could. Thank you for the idea.

I just filed a complaint, so hopefully I will at least get an acknowledgement of this.

#4 Edited by BranKetra (48109 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

You could probably talk with the store's manager and get some satisfaction. Sorry you had a bad experience.

I'm lucky to have a decent GameStop near me with a really well trained staff and a good store manager who I've cultivated a pretty good relationship with. I always promise to do their survey thing if they don't bug me about stuff they know I don't want. It works out pretty well for all involved.

I actually like the GameStop I normally go to. The sales associates there are friendly and give decent recommendations. It is just this that I have an issue with. It is something apparently all GameStops are guilty of.

#5 Posted by MirkoS77 (7137 posts) -

Yea I agree with Jukev. File a complaint ASAP with the manager.

I've had GS try to pull a few over my head, and I always feel the need stay on my toes to avoid being taken advantage of. For example, during my PS4 preorder I had the manager tell me it was required that I also put a downpayment for a mandatory controller reservation, $10. Only later on did I discover that I didn't need to do so at all, they were simply tying a 2nd (optional) controller onto the main system and trying to pass it off that if I didn't, I had no system preorder at all.

#6 Posted by Metamania (11971 posts) -

See you're not happy with Gamestop and that sucks, I know. But I can't help but be pleased with Gamestop at the moment, seeing as how they shipped my Dualshock 4 controller and now Killzone Shadow Fall for PS4.

#7 Edited by BranKetra (48109 posts) -

@MirkoS77: I filed a complaint online. If I do not get an acceptable response, I will go to that store manager.

@Metamania said:

See you're not happy with Gamestop and that sucks, I know. But I can't help but be pleased with Gamestop at the moment, seeing as how they shipped my Dualshock 4 controller and now Killzone Shadow Fall for PS4.

Rub it in.

#9 Posted by Metamania (11971 posts) -

@MirkoS77: I filed a complaint online. If I do not get an acceptable response, I will go to that store manager.

@Metamania said:

Rub it in.

Sorry man, I couldn't resist! :P To be serious though, that is fucked up on their part. That shouldn't be happening at all. If you specifically requested a product that was sealed and in new condition, they should have done what you instructed. You definitely need to raise hell with the store manager and let them know that what happened to you was complete bullshit. Period. It shouldn't be tolerated at all.

#10 Posted by BranKetra (48109 posts) -

Sorry man, I couldn't resist!

It is alright.

I would rather not have to do that. I will just wait two or three days for an email response, but I will talk to the store manager if nothing develops from that course of action.

#11 Posted by BranKetra (48109 posts) -

@Gargus: By the way, blogs can be shared on the forums now. Get with the times.

#12 Edited by Randolph (10452 posts) -

@Gargus: By the way, blogs can be shared on the forums now. Get with the times.

Agreed. If all anyone has to say as a reply is "Blog it" or a rough equivalent, that's both spamming and disruptive behavior. I actually just ordered a used fairly cheap game through the website at store level the other day as well, Mad Dog McCree Gunslinger Pack for Wii, for six bucks and change. It arrived yesterday afternoon, and I was sent and billed for two copies, both in generic Gamestop boxes, which I despise. Oh well, I just won't be ordering from them online ever again. Simple as that.

#13 Posted by muthsera666 (13271 posts) -

I've seriously considered buying from GS online, but I'm a collector, and I like having the box and manual. I'm always afraid that I'll just get the generics. Heck, I've even gone to the store and gotten a good box and manual, and when they put the disc in, they gave me back a generic box. I had to go back into the store and request the actual box when I realized it.

#14 Posted by Metamania (11971 posts) -

@Metamania said:

It is alright.

I would rather not have to do that. I will just wait two or three days for an email response, but I will talk to the store manager if nothing develops from that course of action.

Actually, I would talk to the store manager ASAP. An email response may take longer, but a physical response is 10x better at the moment. It's faster that way, instead of waiting.

#15 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

I've walked out 3 times when they haven't been able to supply me with a sealed "new" copy, drive 10 minutes further to best buy, and buy the same game but sealed.

I stopped going to GameStop after I've caught their employees trying to hold out on the physical preorder bonuses I should have received... twice. I can't imagine how many people didn't receive their bonuses because they simply didn't know.

#16 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

it's been up and down with me for gamestop but a lot of downs recently. it just seems like every time i go there for a specific game, they don't have it. i go there on launch day or a day or two later and find out they only ordered a handful of copies. i could understand if they were the type of store that didn't specialize in any particular thing, but they are a specialty store so they should have a decent stock. it's at the point where i just don't bother with them anymore if i know what i want.

#17 Edited by BranKetra (48109 posts) -

@Metamania said:

@BranKetra said:
@Metamania said:

It is alright.

Actually, I would talk to the store manager ASAP. An email response may take longer, but a physical response is 10x better at the moment. It's faster that way, instead of waiting.

I already used the online pass code yesterday, so asking for a refund would be exaggerating my purpose of buying that game new and sealed. It came with the game and I did that because I considered waiting to play at that point ridiculous. Right now, it is just the principle of selling a game as new and all that means. Every place other than GameStop I have ever purchased a game at has sold me new games sealed. I will just not use GameStop's buy online while in the store service until I get an apology and its quality improves.

#18 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70539 posts) -

I would just stop buying there then

#19 Posted by BranKetra (48109 posts) -

Hopefully, this will not come to that.

#20 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70539 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

Hopefully, this will not come to that.

I got other places to get games than my local gamestop, but at the moment i am happy with it. But i have no issues going other places

#21 Posted by Paragoob (28 posts) -

Have you gotten a reply atall yet?

Also 1st world problems.

#22 Posted by muthsera666 (13271 posts) -

@Paragoob said:

Have you gotten a reply atall yet?

Also 1st world problems.

Yep. Getting a product as you purchased it isn't that big of a deal.

#23 Posted by BranKetra (48109 posts) -

@Paragoob: No. I am currently awaiting a reply.

Yep. Getting a product as you purchased it isn't that big of a deal.

You would think that is the ideal outcome of a transaction. I am not sure what that has to do with this thread, though.

#24 Edited by achilles614 (4847 posts) -

Definitely follow through with online communications, you gave them business and didn't receive what you bought so they damn better rectify that.

I do a TON of shopping on amazon.com and they've been amazing with customer service. I bought a used copy of Pokemon Heart Gold from amazon warehouse and it didn't arrive in the condition described so amazon refunded me $20 (and let me keep the game! it was 45 originally).

I hope gamestop resolves this properly with you, as a collector myself I know how frustrating it is to buy an open "new" game.

#25 Posted by NightlyOne (318 posts) -

The moment they told you they did not have any wrapped copies of the game is the moment you should have walked out the door. Buying new games from GameStop is a game in itself - a game of chance. Keep that in mind for the future.

If you do not get an adequate response from online, go to the store and raise hell at the manager. If the manager doesn't rectify the situation, get corporate headquarters on the phone (if the 1-800 "consumer" number does not yield results, look for a direct line number to an executive in corporate, which will require digging online or demanding from a GameStop employee/manager).

#26 Posted by valium88 (4455 posts) -

I would've hated gamestop if it weren't for them taking in used games. My GF picked up BF4 for me today which I exchanged with GTAV, and of course they push her to buy that stupid insurance on the game, which is useless. I use the CD one time to install the game, and if one was broken there are two more that can run the game, and that is aside the fact that you can download it from origin which makes it even more rediculous.